First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Do you think Metal is Falling?
Posted 8/29/07
Sadly yes, this world is now filled with too many rednecks and dumb chicks that like to listen to hip hop singers that talk about raping some chick, just because you can dance to the beat. Its fuckin retarded
3165 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
69 / M
Offline
Posted 10/12/07

thefinalword wrote:

music is ever changing... if ur one of those types that dont like change you dont like MUSIC in general.

hard fact to swallow but its true.


This makes alot of sense to me. Love it or hate it, almost everything changes.. Even our individual preferences. However, by what standards do we gauge the downfall of metal?
975 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The City of Fines...
Offline
Posted 10/12/07
Metal and rock are not failing... It the damn f**king MTV that is failing them.What do most kids these days listen to? 50cent? Eminem? PussyFugDolls? wtf?

Now for the chinese version.Gay chao? S.H.IT?

Wtf man,i actually wanted to hear some hard rock from a mandrin group but it turns out that the only place in asia where you can find a good rock/metal act is in Japan.
Posted 10/12/07

VuuDuuChild wrote:

Metal and rock are not failing... It the damn f**king MTV that is failing them.What do most kids these days listen to? 50cent? Eminem? PussyFugDolls? wtf?

Now for the chinese version.Gay chao? S.H.IT?

Wtf man,i actually wanted to hear some hard rock from a mandrin group but it turns out that the only place in asia where you can find a good rock/metal act is in Japan.


You sound like someone who thinks Fuse is the greatest music channel on earth.

Trevor (OP)
17206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/12/07
Well its not as popular as it used to be I guess. =\
975 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The City of Fines...
Offline
Posted 10/12/07

kyocool wrote:


VuuDuuChild wrote:

Metal and rock are not failing... It the damn f**king MTV that is failing them.What do most kids these days listen to? 50cent? Eminem? PussyFugDolls? wtf?

Now for the chinese version.Gay chao? S.H.IT?

Wtf man,i actually wanted to hear some hard rock from a mandrin group but it turns out that the only place in asia where you can find a good rock/metal act is in Japan.


You sound like someone who thinks Fuse is the greatest music channel on earth.

Trevor (OP)


I nv heard of the channel fuse b4.I i don't listen and watch music channels on TV.I listen to Bands like GnR,Ac/dc,Metallica,Dire straits,Steve Vai.Mainstream music are just commercial Bullshit.There are some bands that deserves the attention but most of them suck live.Cradle of Filth and Children of Boredom are some really good metal bands.
Posted 10/12/07
I think there are way too many metal sub-genres to just say 'metal is falling'

It's just changing. There are still bands making about any type of metal you could want. It's just not that mainstream.

I also can't seem to stand 'metal heads'. I like some metal, but people who think it is the only type of music around and refuse to listen to anything else annoy the piss out of me.


VuuDuuChild wrote:

I nv heard of the channel fuse b4.I i don't listen and watch music channels on TV.I listen to Bands like GnR,Ac/dc,Metallica,Dire straits,Steve Vai.Mainstream music are just commercial Bullshit.There are some bands that deserves the attention but most of them suck live.Cradle of Filth and Children of Boredom are some really good metal bands.


You say bands like GnR, AC/DC, and Metallica are 'too mainstream' yet you list CoF as a great band? Do you realize CoF is commercial as hell?

Dani is just a freaking megalomaniac who only wants money. He is a huge sellout.
975 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The City of Fines...
Offline
Posted 10/12/07
All of the bands that i have listed are great in the past.... most of damn suck now.You cannot deny the fact that metallica is crap now and GnR without slash and the rest are just Axl and this coverband.

You also cannot deny the fact that Appitite for Destruction is 1 of the best rock albums ever produced and Metallica's Black album is at its finest.

CoF is a huge sellout now but you can't say no to its 1st few albums.Just listen to 'The Principle of Evil Made Flesh' their debut album and 'Dusk...and Her Embrace".

Metal is not failing its just that people are turning more towards mainstream music and bands are becoming sellouts.What do you listen? Falloutboy? Simpleplan? The musicianship of most mainstream bands are weak, i play guitar so i know where the standard is.You can pick up guitar and strum a few chords but if you wan to play like yngwie malsteem you got to pratices for more then 10yrs, even if i were to pratice my whole life i cannot reach what he is today.If you don't know who yngwie malsteem is, you're not a true metal fan that really goes deep into the music.

Did i forget to mention Black sabbath?Everything that is to do with metal is started by them.Listen to 'paranoid' 1972 and 'war pigs' 1970.Don't say that it sucks and does not sound like metal today,take a look at the year.Want to know more?Serch them up at wiki.

Paranoid was ranked #1 in Martin Popoff book "The Top 500 Heavy Metal Songs Of All Time". "Paranoid" was ranked #34 on VH1's 40 Greatest Metal Songs March 2005, Q magazine placed it at number 11 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar TracksRolling Stone ranked it #250 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Lets name some 80's band shall we? Motley Crue? GnR(like a sucide was released in 1987)? Van Halen? Alice Cooper? Ozzy Orseboure(he left Sabbath)?,Dio? Skid row? Listen to these bands and you will know why this thread was started.
Posted 10/12/07

VuuDuuChild wrote:

All of the bands that i have listed are great in the past.... most of damn suck now.You cannot deny the fact that metallica is crap now and GnR without slash and the rest are just Axl and this coverband.

You also cannot deny the fact that Appitite for Destruction is 1 of the best rock albums ever produced and Metallica's Black album is at its finest.

CoF is a huge sellout now but you can't say no to its 1st 2 albums.

Metal is not failing its just that people are turning more towards mainstream music and bands are becoming sellouts.What do you listen? Falloutboy? Simpleplan? The musicianship of most mainstream bands are weak, i play guitar so i know where the standard is.You can pick up guitar and strum a few chords but if you wan to play like yngwie malsteem you got to pratices for more then 10yrs, even if i were to pratice my whole life i cannot reach what he is today.If you don't know who yngwie malsteem is, you're not a true metal fan that really goes deep into the music.

Did i forget to mention Black sabbath?Everything that is to do with metal is started by them.Listen to 'paranoid' 1972 and 'war pigs' 1970.Don't say that it sucks and does not sound like metal today,take a look at the year.Want to know more?Serch them up at wiki.

Paranoid was ranked #1 in Martin Popoff book "The Top 500 Heavy Metal Songs Of All Time". "Paranoid" was ranked #34 on VH1's 40 Greatest Metal Songs March 2005, Q magazine placed it at number 11 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar TracksRolling Stone ranked it #250 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Lets name some 80's band shall we? Motley Crue? GnR(like a sucide was released in 1987)? Van Halen? Alice Cooper? Ozzy Orseboure(he left Sabbath)?,Dio? Skid row? Listen to these bands and you will know why this thread was started.


1)....every band youve listed is overplayed and overrated as all get out.

2)...AOD by G&R is not one of the best rock albums of all time...in fact I'm venturing to say guns n roses was not even a very talented band as a whole. They are easily one of the 5 greatest overrated bands of all time.

3) No one gives a shit about what VH1 lists as the best rock songs of all time. Do you honestly give any musical credit to a tv channel that plays Americas Next Top Model and reality shows? The fact is Black Sabbath and Ozzy himself are also incredibly over hyped Ozzie Is seriously worthless without Sabbath (not that they were the greatest thing alive with him)

4) Motley Crue-Sucks
GNR-Sucks
Van Halen- Sucks
Skid Row- Sucks
Metallica-sucks (and has since the early 90's)

You've clearly have just read to many magazines

Bands that own every and anything you've mentioned.

1) Opeth
2) Slayer ( one of the VERY few bands whos sound has changed little if any @ all over their amazing career.)
3) Pantera (early 90s)
4) Sepultura (hell ill still even listen to some of their newer stuff although i don't consider anything past 03 Sepultura really)
5) Iron Maiden- some of the finest metal you will ever hear.
6) Rhapsody of Fire- Turilli....need i say more!?
7) Sinergy
8) Dream Theater ( most epic guitar playing I've ever heard)

EDIT Might i add for your 70's rant....Led Zepplin owns and owns hard Sabbath in ways your feeble little mind could only hope to comprehend.

Trevor (OP)
2924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Philippines
Offline
Posted 10/12/07
For me,any kinds of rock is a total lame-o! I just hate it's sound,that's all..... And I thought rock is becoming lesser in the music biz.... 'Coz there are less rock songs now.... Except pop rock,it's normal in our everyday music lives.... Anyways,I'm more into R'n'b and accoustic...
587 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Here and there......
Offline
Posted 10/13/07
I like the title, especially since the sentence structure is so awkward.

Anyway, I've been in the metal scene since I was 12. Sadly, it was nu-metal that got me into it but I've grown past that. Metal since the 80's, in my opinion, hasn't "fallen," it's just gone underground. There are many metal bands that suck, and many that are really good.

I'm not a big fan of Black and Power Metal, it seems too silly for me. But I do like Scandinavian Metal, like Children of Bodom and In Flames. If you like Gothic Metal, Charon, Lacuna Coil, and Poisonblack are really good. American bands like Lamb of God, Machine Head, and Shadows Fall are also keeping American metal alive, or at least keeping it from becoming stupid. Industrial Metal's been around for a while too, like Ministry and NIN and such. There's also grindcore, but I'm also not a big fan of that.

So my point is that not only is metal now not "falling," but it has also branched out into so many subgenres that it can't die out. Just because metal has not become mainstream in over 20 years doesn't mean it's all of a sudden going to disappear.

And...that's my 2-cents. More like an essay, but whatever.
Posted 10/13/07

Lavvy wrote:

I like the title, especially since the sentence structure is so awkward.

Anyway, I've been in the metal scene since I was 12. Sadly, it was nu-metal that got me into it but I've grown past that. Metal since the 80's, in my opinion, hasn't "fallen," it's just gone underground. There are many metal bands that suck, and many that are really good.

I'm not a big fan of Black and Power Metal, it seems too silly for me. But I do like Scandinavian Metal, like Children of Bodom and In Flames. If you like Gothic Metal, Charon, Lacuna Coil, and Poisonblack are really good. American bands like Lamb of God, Machine Head, and Shadows Fall are also keeping American metal alive, or at least keeping it from becoming stupid. Industrial Metal's been around for a while too, like Ministry and NIN and such. There's also grindcore, but I'm also not a big fan of that.

So my point is that not only is metal now not "falling," but it has also branched out into so many subgenres that it can't die out. Just because metal has not become mainstream in over 20 years doesn't mean it's all of a sudden going to disappear.

And...that's my 2-cents. More like an essay, but whatever. :lol:


I rather enjoyed reading your post but i have a qualm about a few things.

I really don't see how you can say you think listening to "Black" and "Power" metal is silly but yet admit you listen to "gothic" metal, esp Lacuna Coil...they did one of the worst covers I've ever heard of a song Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence".
COB has always sucked and that is not debatable on any level. Also Lamb Of God is honestly one of the worst "Death" metal bands I've ever had the displeasure of listening too. They are really a disgrace to the genre (if you want "good" death metal try Job For A Cowboy or Immortal or hell even early DB.
I might be inclined to agree with you on the Inflames comment...but certainly nothing they've done in the past 5 or 6 years.

Everything else though i feel you were fairly spot on about.

Trevor (OP)

587 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Here and there......
Offline
Posted 10/13/07
I don't consider Lamb of God death metal. That's just me. Bodom I like, but I know there are better bands out there. And even though Goth Metal is really one of the...I guess softer kinds of metal out there, I still rather like it. Lacuna Coil I like, and I've heard worse covers of "Enjoy the Silence," like there's a HIM cover that's pretty awful (though I do like HIM, not metal I know).

What I don't like about Black and Power Metal is the vocals. The whole operatic highness of power is just...not for me. I like the guitarwork, but the vocals get in the way for me. And black for me is also too epic for me, like the whole dark and evil atmosphere thing. And I'm not fond of that style of screaming. Just me.

I always considered Immortal as black metal but who knows these days. Even with so many subgenres metal bands like to fuck with us. :p
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Sydney
Offline
Posted 10/13/07
Yeah, I don't think metal is 'falling' at least not anytime soon. The thing is metal is alot bigger than most people know. 'Real' metal hardly gets airtime (apart from the occasional 1 hour slot at 3 am) so unless your a practicing metal fan, you wouldn't know.

Live shows are a good reason its not going away soon. They're hella fun, and attract quite alot of people (even here, in Australia, where its not nearly as big as europe)

The fact some bands like COF or dimmu or COB have become so mainstream and popular proves its not going to dissapear.Though weather were talking about it dissapearing alltogether or that it could be changing for the worse I'm not sure.

Nu-metal does allow some exposure of metal to the masses. In this respect I guess it helps attract fans to seek out the more obscure acts.

Oh yeah. Hi I'm new! Be nice!
630 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / U.S.A
Offline
Posted 12/13/07
metal suck
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.