First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Ricers- Good or Bad?
1108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/16/08

shuttle wrote:


Gunguru wrote:


shuttle wrote:

one thing i dont like about ricers and its high on my list are the large exhaust that has no use except making sound whats the point of having a car sound like it got 400hp+ when it hardly packs 100 -150 hp


ummm.......
Borla FTW!!


i know, but Borla is more off a highend kit wich produces sound and power, im talking about cheap lowend kits that produce sound but no significant power


An exhaust is an exhaust. Doesnt matter if its a cheap kit or not. Power is dictated by the amount of bends and the chambers in the muffler. Less bends and a straight through bullet muffler will out perform one with more bends and a conventional muffler (such as borla.) Only the materials make it high end.
5151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / west coast...then...
Offline
Posted 9/16/08
depends on ur taste so the word "rice" jus mean style....sum people see the glass half empty...sum half full O.o
1879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / California
Offline
Posted 9/16/08

yangss14 wrote:


westco3894 wrote:

If this offends you then you are a ricer





lol expensive rims that cost more than the car? really? thats rice? if so i guess im a ricer...since my garage is full of wheels that cost more than my 240.
yes im a ricer, i have underglow for my 240,i have cop flashers, i have a intake,i have stickers on my car, i have full widebody kit that makes my car look lower (coilovers also help with that) i have 3000 dollar wheels that cost more than my car so what? who cares? to each his own

and my opinion no car is built to drive fast...it just depends on how you drive it lol and you really think that all hondas/integras(rsx) and the ones you named are all riced? wheres the 240's? no rice love for the 240's? lol
oh btw wrx is a impreza, and you say imports, supra's,skylines,wrx's evos are all imports also, and they can be riced more than civics/integras etc i know plenty that'll even beat built supras/sti's evos


Directed @ Westco:

-Large Spoilers = Some are made to be 100% functional for the increase of downforce without significant weight gains. Whaletails like used in Formula1 and the JGTC series have been proven in both tuft and windtunnel tests to be effective in increasing both safety and performance of the vehicle. knockoff aluminum or fiberglass imitations like from extremedimensions, xr-racing, AmericanProductsCompany, etc., do nothing except make the car LOOK fast.

-Body Kits = You need to differentiate between those that are functional and serve a purpose versus those that are simply to make the car look 'different' (for lack of a better word). $300 plastic kits = shit. Any kit that names itself "shogun", "vader", "dragon", etc., obviously is a knockoff and therefore rice.

Body kits from companies like Voltex/Original Runduce, J'sRacing, and Varis cost well over $1100 for just a front bumper because of the fact that they have been engineered to do their job, which is increase airflow to necessary components while reducing drag and airflow underneath the car which may cause it to flip over or be unstable in turns at high speeds.

Comment about jp cars built slow as economy cars:

The reason some cars were built with low hp was due to:

1. Japan having laws where your taxes increase in high percentages depending on how big your engine is.

2. Japan having laws where you can't do your own wrench work on a car.

3. reasons 1 and 2 causing people who own muscle car V8's to have to pay maintenance costs equal to a Ferrari or Aston Martin.


As far as what makes someone a ricer:

I own a Mazda 323 hatchback. 88 horsepower, 96lb-ft torque. single-cam from the mercury capri, front wheel drive. automatic. goes from 65-0 at wide open throttle on a low-grade climb faster than some cars do 0-60 times downhill.

now enter the rice stage:

Exhaust = custom 3" piping all the way down, Magnaflow catalytic converter, and HKS Carbon-Ti exhaust with a huge canister tip probably like some folgers cans. incredibly loud.

Engine swap = canada/japan domesticated 323 engine @ 180hp with a turbo. also switched to a mazda g-series transmission as well as new wiring.

Rims = 18" flat black rims with polished lip. cost about $1000 with tires, KBB of my car is about $600.

Body Kit = currently a custom Mazdaspeed Australia kit. made the car lower, with Eibach/GroundControl lowering kit.

Spoiler = small fiberglass extension. Mostly to add a more unique look to the car so it looks less like a modded honda.

Well, i've done the things you said make me a ricer, went from 88 hp to 180hp, still awd, and i have a now very low car.

Am i a ricer? some say yes, others no. As far as i'm concerned, as long as you have performance in mind, you're okay, especially if you're building it because YOU like the car, and not because you want to impress others with your 'race-inspired' car with all the things i have and only an intake and a 5hp gain at the crank.

@Yangss:

Your car isn't rice, though the neons might be that way, since your car seems more geared towards drift setup, lit-up tire smoke to me is better than multicolored smoke like certain tire companies came up with.

and lol @ $3k+ rims. Rays engineering ftw. xDD (i use the TE's as non-daily)
18 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 9/16/08

RossoCorsa wrote:


Body kits from companies like Voltex/Original Runduce, J'sRacing, and Varis cost well over $1100 for just a front bumper because of the fact that they have been engineered to do their job, which is increase airflow to necessary components while reducing drag and airflow underneath the car which may cause it to flip over or be unstable in turns at high speeds.



This is not necessarily true...paying an arm and a leg for brand name JDM product doesn't mean that it is the best. Just because you have JDM products doesn't mean that it is the best out there and that it have been engineered to do their job as in dispersing airflow or improving the car's aerodynamics.

The most efficient way to reduce drag underneath a car along with some down force with body kit is to have a properly set up splitter, flatten out undercarriage that have flow pattern to direct air to the back and hitting a properly set up diffuser. Check out some undercarriage shot of car such as Ferrari, r35 gtr, or fully built race car and you will get an idea of what I'm talking about.

My point is that, bolting on a high dollars JDM body kits will not give you any noticeable benefit in aerodynamics as you think that it will. If there is, give me some number such drag coefficient, or improved corner g's on a particular car with just a body kit to convince me.
1827 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / waiha
Offline
Posted 9/16/08
If the bodykit actually undergoes wind tunnel testing to check how functional it actually is (which I doubt), then it is not rice. Most of the ones I see - JDM or otherwise, look more like they increase drag since they have huge openings that don't cool/vent/properly manage airflow.
85 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / Southern Cali.
Offline
Posted 9/16/08

koreanguyjason wrote:

lol you sound like your going off a bit on your car now i gotta see your "rally tuned" car or i call bs!

cant call me a hater i drove a domestic before my evo, and i hold respect for the srt4.

pictures up!




Seriously, Computer was recently reformateed, all my pictures are on my SDHC card inside my camera.. Anyhow, so far i havnt been able to find it. How lucky of me, i managed to get a pic from a buddies cell sorry for the low res.:



Car is a 2000 ZX3, body kit is a SVT look-a-like, the sideskirts are OEM SVT The wing (though not visible) is a SVT OEM. Ebay Projector Lights, and the car was origionally cloud 9 white. Wheels are SVT OEM, painted White. Other minor things are replacement door handles, and trim, painted to match the car.

Honestly, I wanted the SVT Look, without paying for a SVT, because i knew i was going to mod the hell out of the engine. So two years ago, i had saved up about 15 grand, took a month off, and moved into my grandparents garage. I took the car apart down to the frame, painted/etc, and rebuilt the car with my new gear.

My regrets:

1. I didnt get the RWD kit, what makes it worse, i had an available Small Block V8 that would have been compatible.

2. I didnt change out the transmission, while I did put in a sport clutch, its still the same ratios, and regardless of my cars power, Those RPMS just arent good for your engine. meaning that my top speed is around 140ish simply because of my gear ratio.

3. The interior is almost Stock, even the radio tower/ speakers is all original.

4. The car is lowered about 3/4 of an inch, simply because the area i lived/live in has alot of dirt roads, and rather abrubt driveways. Unfortunately this makes the car unstable at high speeds and on really hard turns. Limiting my performance.

5. I live in Arizona, and have California plates. Even when im 5 under the speed limit, the cops stare me down.


The goods however are under the hood. The racing club I am in consists of Mustangs, Corvettes, MS3s, Miatas, and a some others. Though my car cant compete with the Corvettes, i usually end up only a few seconds behind them, in front of just about everybody else.

172k miles on her now, and she isnt quite what she used to be, however i will say that the Focus' Frame is one of the best ive ever seen besides the miata. This car is stout, and reliable. Though i cant say much for the 02 sensors (fail montly). Its been good to me. and When my engine goes, i plan on replacing it with the same.


When i find my camera, ill post some more pics, just wanted to show the diff between a rice, and a tune.


The 2 SRT4s that race with us spend more time in the shop... They drive great, and have good power, just... i think both of the ones ive seen qualify for the lemon law.

Posted 9/17/08
wow man! i like it! its clean and friendly!!

when you said body kit i kept thinking some funky stuff, and i have seen some focus body kits,

but thanks for the pictures on a clean car, and yeah srt4 was really fun to drive, and cheap , i spent less than a 1,000$ on
full bolt ons including a aftermarket wastegate and a big front mount intercooler, "used" of course but good as new, i calculated how much i need to do the same for my evo x, i think i went over like 2grand =[ theres no used parts either lol.

thanks again for pictures! i make you my buddy
1879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / California
Offline
Posted 9/17/08

highoctaneKA wrote:


RossoCorsa wrote:


Body kits from companies like Voltex/Original Runduce, J'sRacing, and Varis cost well over $1100 for just a front bumper because of the fact that they have been engineered to do their job, which is increase airflow to necessary components while reducing drag and airflow underneath the car which may cause it to flip over or be unstable in turns at high speeds.



This is not necessarily true...paying an arm and a leg for brand name JDM product doesn't mean that it is the best. Just because you have JDM products doesn't mean that it is the best out there and that it have been engineered to do their job as in dispersing airflow or improving the car's aerodynamics.

The most efficient way to reduce drag underneath a car along with some down force with body kit is to have a properly set up splitter, flatten out undercarriage that have flow pattern to direct air to the back and hitting a properly set up diffuser. Check out some undercarriage shot of car such as Ferrari, r35 gtr, or fully built race car and you will get an idea of what I'm talking about.

My point is that, bolting on a high dollars JDM body kits will not give you any noticeable benefit in aerodynamics as you think that it will. If there is, give me some number such drag coefficient, or improved corner g's on a particular car with just a body kit to convince me.


I suppose you misunderstood what I was getting at.

You are correct that just because you're paying an arm and a leg for a JDM part doesn't mean it's the best. Companies like ARC prove that point. tons of titanium goodies, but most are always for show. Expensive engine dress decorations are nice, but i'd save those for last. Also, some random company could just claim they are indeed jdm, and the average joe wouldn't know if it's track proven or not.

I'll upload the pic later of the voltex evo which ineed was put through tuft and windtunnel testing. I'm away from my home computer at the moment, but i'll be sure to upload it to you tonight.

You are correct that the most efficient way of downforce is a properly set up splitter with a flattened undercarriage OR to set up a diffuser that goes all the way to the midpoint of the car. I already know what you're talking about. I'm not some kid who just claims jdm = awesome.

Bolting on high dollar JDM kits will not give you noticeable benefits. The ones that do will gladly brag about it at trade shows like TAS and SEMA.

As for drag coefficients and other track results, you have google, you do it yourself. I don't mind providing the info i do have on me, but i'm not going to go out of my way to prove some random person online that one person is right or wrong.

When i post my info and you find flaws and have info to counter it, more power to you man. i will give you props for that. I'll stand corrected and i'll now have correct info. sound good? awesome.

kitsune5oh wrote:

If the bodykit actually undergoes wind tunnel testing to check how functional it actually is (which I doubt), then it is not rice. Most of the ones I see - JDM or otherwise, look more like they increase drag since they have huge openings that don't cool/vent/properly manage airflow.


agreed. Just because it's JDM doesn't mean it works.
651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Mississauga, ON,...
Offline
Posted 9/20/08

shuttle wrote:


Gunguru wrote:


shuttle wrote:

one thing i dont like about ricers and its high on my list are the large exhaust that has no use except making sound whats the point of having a car sound like it got 400hp+ when it hardly packs 100 -150 hp


ummm.......
Borla FTW!!


i know, but Borla is more off a highend kit wich produces sound and power, im talking about cheap lowend kits that produce sound but no significant power


believe me my wallet knows its a highend kit.
7718 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M / Florida, US
Offline
Posted 9/21/08
I think ricers are the Asian brothers of cheaper-end American tuning for cheaper domestic vehicles in the US. I'm not saying that having a ricer means it is always cheaper or that you don't have money. However, I think the typical ricer will be under 25 grand without the aftermarket parts. Hence, the lower age percentage, financial status, etc. I think it's a great way to express yourself with something you like. A car is essentially just a car; but it's a great hobby to have where you a car that is just your own. I do think that some ricers are really over-the-top ugly on a personal note. But, they earned it with their hard-earned money so it's their freedom. Anyone who might cringe or complain about it might be the actual automotive engineers and designers. Anyone else who has nothing to do with it aside from liking cars is just hating. You're just another consumer; worry about your own purchase.

My only quarrels with ricers are the people who drive them. Too many kids using their parents money to pay shops to make a Fast and the Furious car for them. Causing accidents all over the roads cuz' a lot of them can't handle their cars. These things affect others so it pisses me off.
1827 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / waiha
Offline
Posted 9/21/08
^^^ and that's the biggest part of the problem right there. The "drivers" of such automotive abominations.
172 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 9/21/08
See i made my car unique for cheap. My "mods" cost 8$ - 5$ for a stripe and 1$ for black krylon and 2$ for some cokes that day we put on the stripe and paint. People take pictures of my car's badging all the time. It was free too, it was all removal of letters and a bit of superglue I had lying around from some past repairs. I get people wanting pictures of it all the time.
1445 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / SoCal
Offline
Posted 9/22/08
rice is for eating not cars
2004 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern California
Offline
Posted 9/23/08
Rice is ragged on cuz of the stupid "F and F" movies. I personally don't like "riced" (I should use another term) out cars, but I can appreciate the craftmanship, time and originality behind the designs; and some actually look pretty cool .

What people call "ricers" are the idiots that watch too many movies and think they and their car are the shit when they actually don't much of anything about they're car and/or their car is far from performance. These guyz usally are the ones that rag on my ride, just because I don't have "NOS", "Motec Exhausts" or flame grafix

BTW, dig the wide fenders and and deep dish rims

1445 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / SoCal
Offline
Posted 9/23/08
I love ricers. Fun to laugh at.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.