First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Are they two sects of the same religion?
1028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 12/26/07

MmmCrunchy wrote:


bruevitz wrote:


MmmCrunchy wrote:

muhammad was also believed to be the Last Prophet and is a descendant of God, Abraham, and even Jesus himself.


I'm sorry, Muhammad is descendant of Jesus??

You're not writing a book are you?


ha, nah. i'm too lazy.

but anyway, yes, Muhammad is a descendant of Jesus. how do i know that? my ap art history teacher told me when we were on the islam chapter. believable? i didn't think so either. i was definitely surprised when she told me about it. am i sure it's true? heck no. haha.



His uncle was a christian. I don't think your teacher would meant that he is a descendant from Christ, he's an Arab, not Jewish.
913 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 12/26/07

SeraphAlford wrote:
1. Okay, I’m a Christian, but let us face it- Christians and Muslims have -both- throughout history earned the world’s hate.

2. There is also the Christian idea of thinking entirely of others, even when persecuted. The Qur’an tells the Islamic people to retaliate to attacks, whereas the Christian religion tells you to turn the other cheek and live as a peaceful martyr and sacrifice, to lead by example and not force.


1. The only reason the world distrusts muslims is because of America, people seem to look at the people of the religion rather than the religion itself, which is sad because Islam does not teach terriorism, nor does it teach hate towards others.

2.

"You have two eyes, one to look at the good in others, and another to you at the falts in yourself"

As you can see we are very peaceful, its just that some of our people have been misguided, but our religion itself has no flaws. We do not attack when one threatens us, but more shows others the correct path.

3. You shouldn't coppy and paste the quran's translations that noone has heard of from random sites that do not have athourity to post the quran and misguide others. You must have qualifications to talk about islam.


---- I think that our rules are similar because the bible, and the quran were origionally similar, but the religions havs its differences because as you know there are like 5034820934 different bibles out there, while there is only 1 quran, in my opinion I think that christains strayed off their origional path, but that's just my opinion.
12669 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Elkia
Offline
Posted 12/26/07

bruevitz wrote:


MmmCrunchy wrote:


bruevitz wrote:


MmmCrunchy wrote:

muhammad was also believed to be the Last Prophet and is a descendant of God, Abraham, and even Jesus himself.


I'm sorry, Muhammad is descendant of Jesus??

You're not writing a book are you?


ha, nah. i'm too lazy.

but anyway, yes, Muhammad is a descendant of Jesus. how do i know that? my ap art history teacher told me when we were on the islam chapter. believable? i didn't think so either. i was definitely surprised when she told me about it. am i sure it's true? heck no. haha.



His uncle was a christian. I don't think your teacher would meant that he is a descendant from Christ, he's an Arab, not Jewish.


hm... but i know this for sure: Muhammad is a descendant of Abraham, and he is most definitely not a Arab.
913 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 12/26/07

asakurayohhh wrote:

Who knows. But the bible and quran are written by man ''inspired'' by the person up there. After many years there are bound to have same changes here and there...

Acctually when the Quran was brought down Allah promised that he would protect it and never let annything that that happen to it, and this is why so many people have memorized the quran, so that they can protect it and keep Allah's word intact in the book. Not even one character has been changed to the quran ever since it came to earth.
1028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 12/26/07

MmmCrunchy wrote:


bruevitz wrote:


MmmCrunchy wrote:


bruevitz wrote:


MmmCrunchy wrote:

muhammad was also believed to be the Last Prophet and is a descendant of God, Abraham, and even Jesus himself.


I'm sorry, Muhammad is descendant of Jesus??

You're not writing a book are you?


ha, nah. i'm too lazy.

but anyway, yes, Muhammad is a descendant of Jesus. how do i know that? my ap art history teacher told me when we were on the islam chapter. believable? i didn't think so either. i was definitely surprised when she told me about it. am i sure it's true? heck no. haha.



His uncle was a christian. I don't think your teacher would meant that he is a descendant from Christ, he's an Arab, not Jewish.


hm... but i know this for sure: Muhammad is a descendant of Abraham, and he is most definitely not a Arab.


Yes muslims believe they were descendant of Abraham, Ishmael is the father of Arabs.
Posted 12/26/07
theoretically, according to historians, yes they arose from the same root so theoretically the christian god and the muslim god are the same god BUT their belief systems are also quite divergent probably due to cultural differences. religion, regardless of it's origin always adapts to the cultural practices of any people or nation.

anyways, in all honesty if you haven't read the quran or the bible in it's entirety you probably should be really careful about constructing your comparisons as quotes can always be used out of context.
913 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 12/26/07

Keregg wrote:

hmmm......the proplem is not with jesus nor any other (Prophet)..the proplem is with the holy books....like there is more than 3 bibles with some diffrent things written inside them yet there is only one Qur'an.

so can christians tell me which bible is the right one?


and yea tell me if i got a wrong idea about the bibles plx so i can understand more.

only 3 bibles? I heard there was about 40 somthing, but maybe its just a rumour.
1028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 12/26/07

xidiya wrote:

theoretically, according to historians, yes they have the same root so theoretically the christian god and the muslim god are the same god BUT their belief systems are also quite divergent probably due to cultural differences.



Monotheism is the word you're looking for.
Posted 12/26/07

bruevitz wrote:


xidiya wrote:

theoretically, according to historians, yes they have the same root so theoretically the christian god and the muslim god are the same god BUT their belief systems are also quite divergent probably due to cultural differences.



Monotheism is the word you're looking for.


no, it isn't. not all monotheistic religions have the same root or origin (if that makes it more clear for you). it just so happens that islam and christianty do have the same origin.

monotheism only refers to the practice of worshipping only one god not to any sort of origin.


913 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 12/26/07
you wafflehead, causing so much problems with your precious thread, if your so "currious", go to a mosque and do some real research instead of asking random ppls on the internet.
1028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 12/26/07
Islam, Christian, and Judaism
952 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Earth
Offline
Posted 12/26/07
Personally, I think sects in Islam is wrong. I don't consider myself to be a sunni muslim. I'm just a muslim. At the prophet's time (pbuh) there was no such thing as sunni, shiite, and sufi etc. It's only later that people began to group off and began labeling themselves into these groups. Islam asks to follow nothing but the Quran. Allah didn't ask us to break off. In fact we're supposed to be one united ummah.
And we (muslims) believe the reason why Islam and Christianity are similar is b/c God had sent down his words before through the prophet Jesus, yet after time people began to change those teachings and added their own ideals to it. But with the Quran, god promised that nothing would change, and so that how it's been. The Quran hasn't been changed for 1400 years since it first came to earth.
19083 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / F / Hellertown, PA
Offline
Posted 12/26/07
Sociological Classification of Reglion:
-Ecclesia (ex. Christian or Hindu)
-Denomination (ex. Catholic or Protestant)
-Sect (ex. Evangelical or Mormon)
-Cult

So no, Christianity and Islam are not Sects of the same religion – each is their own Ecclesia.

What Christianity and Islam share, along with Judaism is that aside from being the most prevalent monotheistic religions in the worlds, is they are all Abrahamic religions – that is they share a common sacred book of the Old Testament which includes the stories of Abraham, Adam, Noah, and Moses. Basically both Christians and Muslims agree with the Jews, but then revise the beliefs based on their respective holy men.

* Christianity is the only one of the three that believes Jesus Christ was the reincarnation of god/son of god on earth. Muslims accept that Jesus Christ existed, and was a prophet, but not the son of god. I’m not clear on the Jewish beliefs towards Jesus Christ, but after all Jesus Christ was a Jew himself.

* Islam is the only one of the three that believes in Muhammad as a prophet of god.

To someone that is not a member of these religions the differences seem relatively minor when compared to other religions (especially when looking at polytheistic religions for contrast.) However in practice the religions are quite different and pretty much anyone who believes in either of them will be offended by the implication that they are basically the same.

Conflict between the religions arises because they are both missionary religions. They believe their religion has the only true path to salvation/heaven/whatever, as do many religions. Christianity and Islam stand out from other religions (such as Judaism) in believing they have a duty to save others that are ignorant of the true way. Here in you get holy wars, crusades, and Mormons knocking on your door on a Saturday morning, ect. Which is why everyone else in the world doesn’t like them – they don’t play well with others.
12253 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / ๑ Kuwait ๑
Offline
Posted 12/26/07

asakurayohhh wrote:

Who knows. But the bible and quran are written by man ''inspired'' by the person up there. After many years there are bound to have same changes here and there...




am sorry .. but i have to say that they were both written by Allah .. but the bible got .. ummm .. how do i say this? .. ( changed ) by humans .. but the Quran is Allah's words and it hasn't been changed n won't be changed .. u'll find that what am saying is true if u learn more about islam from accredited books or websites ..

--------

sorry if someone said this b4 .. but i've only read the first page n will read the rest ...
12253 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / ๑ Kuwait ๑
Offline
Posted 12/26/07

riodarra wrote:

Personally, I think sects in Islam is wrong. I don't consider myself to be a sunni muslim. I'm just a muslim. At the prophet's time (pbuh) there was no such thing as sunni, shiite, and sufi etc. It's only later that people began to group off and began labeling themselves into these groups. Islam asks to follow nothing but the Quran. Allah didn't ask us to break off. In fact we're supposed to be one united ummah.
And we (muslims) believe the reason why Islam and Christianity are similar is b/c God had sent down his words before through the prophet Jesus, yet after time people began to change those teachings and added their own ideals to it. But with the Quran, god promised that nothing would change, and so that how it's been. The Quran hasn't been changed for 1400 years since it first came to earth.



i agree with u ..
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.