First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
is it okay to say you have to be 21 to have freedom of speech?
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 9/9/08 , edited 9/9/08

Nessarose wrote:

Freedom of Speech goes hand in hand with respecting another's opinion. Kids today respect NO ONE'S opinions but their own. Therefore, they can't have the right. Your constitutional rights are only granted if you are not infringing upon anyone else's. Someone who uses their Freedom of Speech or any right against someone else's rights loses the right.


How does disrespecting an opinion infringe upon anyone else's rights? If someone thinks another person's opinion is stupid, then that's their own opinion that the 1st amendment allows them to have. Yes it's rude, but it doesn't stop the first person from continuing to have their opinion. In fact, forbidding people from disrespecting other's opinions would be infringing upon everyone's freedom of speech.

Also, adults can be just as disrespectful and immature about other people's opinions as kids.
206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31
Offline
Posted 9/10/08
agreed, the first amendment protects unpopular views as well as any others. That is disagreement. There is no infringment of others rights unless you outright suppress someone's inalienable right as some would say is necessary.
70633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 9/12/08

leviathan343 wrote:

Your parents are violating the Constitution. But at least consider what you're saying before you speak.



Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.


Come again?


h4x0rz wrote:

i accidentally 93 mb of rar files, what do i do?


A barrel roll?

Or decompress it, assuming you have no reason to believe it contains a virus.


Nessarose wrote:

Freedom of Speech goes hand in hand with respecting another's opinion. Kids today respect NO ONE'S opinions but their own. Therefore, they can't have the right.


Not really, I don't have to agree with your opinion to support you right to have them.
2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 9/12/08 , edited 9/12/08

Tyrfing wrote:


leviathan343 wrote:

Your parents are violating the Constitution. But at least consider what you're saying before you speak.



Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.


Come again?


"Or abridging the freedom of speech"...

Did I miss something here?

70633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 9/12/08

leviathan343 wrote:
"Or abridging the freedom of speech"...

Did I miss something here?



His mother is not the US Government. The First Amendment doesn't apply to individuals (that's why you have moderators on internet forums.)
2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 9/12/08

Tyrfing wrote:


leviathan343 wrote:
"Or abridging the freedom of speech"...

Did I miss something here?



His mother is not the US Government. The First Amendment doesn't apply to individuals (that's why you have moderators on internet forums.)


Oops, my mistake.
3144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / *Points at map* T...
Offline
Posted 9/12/08
Freedom of Speech should not have any age limitations. The difference is how you exercise that privilege. Just as most people know, we are entitled to our own opinion. However if we just speak our minds without thinking it through properly and giving your opinion structure and backbone, it's only still words. When we just speak our mind, say (for example) I don't like ______ and don't give reasons why and say that's freedom of speech, that's entirely wrong (Things like, "cause it's bad" doesn't count either). However if we explain the reasons as to WHY we don't like ______, that's exercising Freedom of Speech properly.

As for the age restriction, and if you take into count what I wrote above, think about this scenario. A 21 year old man (who's obviously at the required age) and a 15 year old (under the age required) are having a debate and start exercising their "Freedom of Speech". The 21 year old says a bunch of things such as "_____ is better than _____" with no support to his reasoning, where as the 15 year old says "_____ isn't better than _____" but provides support to what he says, which do you think are the people going to believe? the 15 year old who is supporting his opinion but under the legal age limit, or the 21 year old who just says what he wants but is at the required age limit? Clearly you'd pick the 15 year old because he's exercising the right of "Freedom of Speech" properly.
908 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 9/12/08

Cuddlebuns wrote:


Nessarose wrote:

Freedom of Speech goes hand in hand with respecting another's opinion. Kids today respect NO ONE'S opinions but their own. Therefore, they can't have the right. Your constitutional rights are only granted if you are not infringing upon anyone else's. Someone who uses their Freedom of Speech or any right against someone else's rights loses the right.


How does disrespecting an opinion infringe upon anyone else's rights? If someone thinks another person's opinion is stupid, then that's their own opinion that the 1st amendment allows them to have. Yes it's rude, but it doesn't stop the first person from continuing to have their opinion. In fact, forbidding people from disrespecting other's opinions would be infringing upon everyone's freedom of speech.

Also, adults can be just as disrespectful and immature about other people's opinions as kids.


You don't have a right to go "lol that's stupid" and expect it to be okay. You do have a right to go "I disagree, here's why" and explain. It doesn't mean that people don't do it, and that there's a real punishment for it, but that's what your rights are. Your rights are only guaranteed as long as you are not infringing upon someone else's rights. If you don't let someone have their own opinion, and constantly wear their's away, then you're infringing on their right to say what they want to say.
13123 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Coffee shops, Tea...
Offline
Posted 9/13/08
a child is more intelligible and mature than an adult.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 9/13/08

Nessarose wrote:

You don't have a right to go "lol that's stupid" and expect it to be okay. You do have a right to go "I disagree, here's why" and explain. It doesn't mean that people don't do it, and that there's a real punishment for it, but that's what your rights are. Your rights are only guaranteed as long as you are not infringing upon someone else's rights. If you don't let someone have their own opinion, and constantly wear their's away, then you're infringing on their right to say what they want to say.


Yes, you do have the right to say "lol that's stupid," because any sensible person wouldn't get all upset and say "oh no, you're taking away my rights! I'm suing you!" just for that dumb little comment. People have the right to say stupid, disrespectful crap, in the same way people have the right to be racist and sexist and anti-religious. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean they can't have that right.

If you keep "wearing away," at someones opinion, then that would be considered harassment if you just follow them around shooting down everything they say, which is a whole different issue. There's no way any regular guy can stop another person from having an opinion without breaking some other laws (abuse, harassment, etc). If you stop voicing your opinion because you're afraid someone will call you stupid, that's your own fault.

The only times that I know of when freedom of speech is legally limited is when it causes physical harm to others (yelling "fire" in a crowded public place, causing people to rush and stumble over each other, or provoking others to fight), and when a public demonstration is just outright offensive (holding a rally at a church to make fun of Christian values). Simply being dumb and annoying and inarticulate doesn't hurt anyone.
198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / ~Paradise~
Offline
Posted 9/13/08
In my opinion, I'd say of course not! I agree that Freedom of Speech must not have any age limits because everyone has his opinion. And every opinion counts. But I also think that the word "freedom" wouldn't exist without the law. This means one has to set limits on what one has to say. Yes, people do have the right to say stupid or any disrespectful crap as much as they want for that matter but it doesn't they can go say it as they please. Words can hurt, much deeper than any physical wound. Which is why people have to think what they want to voice out. Besides, when one has anything to communicate, he goes by the approriate words at the right time and at the right place. There are always the right words when the situation calls for correction.

Freedom of Speech is communication. It's supposed to make things better, to improve and not make it worse. It doesn't and shouldn't have age limits.
13202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 9/13/08 , edited 9/13/08
NO everyone should be able to say what they want.
3856 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Outer Heaven
Offline
Posted 9/15/08
It's mainly that when you reach 21, there's freedom of speech, but you also realize that talking shit in real life is rather dangerous.
Posted 9/15/08
No, but I don't you should take a five year old to seriously.
7711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 9/20/08
wacko....... in every constitution of the world........anyone regardless of age, gender, sex, work, etc...........can be free to express themselves through the freedom of speech...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.