First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Do we really value life?
2411 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Melbourne, Australia
Offline
Posted 9/10/08

I-Killerbee-I wrote:


RainAddict wrote:
i know what a car is thanks


Lol!! *wipes tears of that were caused due to too much laughing* omg..you made my day, I guess philosophy is only meant for a "few" people, and you are obviously not part of the "few".

Floetry~


wow..your right. i guess im just too ignorant and dumb...nowhere as smart as yourself...im guessing youre in the wonderful 'few' you mentioned. lucky you
Posted 9/10/08

RainAddict wrote:
wow..your right. i guess im just too ignorant and dumb...nowhere as smart as yourself...im guessing youre in the wonderful 'few' you mentioned. lucky you


Hmm, nope, philosophy is just not meant for everyone, and that has nothing to do with intelligence in itself. Some can philosoph and some can't. For example my brother is a maths head, but he can't discuss for life, nor understand the context of any philosophical debates, that's because his brain works on a different wave length, i.e. he perceives the given information differently, from a mathematical point of view, and sometimes philosophy and maths don't go well along. Okay, that was my brother, and there are a lot of people like that. They work on different wave lengths, which has nothing to do with intelligence.
Some people can do both, and some can't. So, I didn't even mean to sound "insulting". w/e

Floetry~
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/10/08 , edited 9/10/08

RainAddict wrote:


mauz15 wrote:


RainAddict wrote:

we dnt value our life if we did we wuldnt be smoking doin drugs drinking achohol to kill our selves earlier. we dnt care bt long term..we just care bt what feels good now.


The point is not the length of life but the quality of it.
You may not drink or smoke but I bet you drive a car. A car is a machine that gives off toxic fumes and yet people use it because it improves our life since it saves time so we can to do other things.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/369169.stm


i know what a car is thanks


you said

"we dnt value our life if we did we wuldnt be smoking doin drugs drinking achohol to kill our selves earlier"

So basically if we break things down you are saying:

because we do things that are harmful to our life in the long run: Like drugs, and tobacco and alcohol;
we do not value life.

This is not necessarily the case. Which is why I gave my car example because it falls in the same category as alcohol, and drugs.
We use it, and it is harmful to our life. It just so happens that cars are essential to our economy, so when we compare the benefits to the damages, it is worth keeping the machine around even though it is a fact that this "kills us little by little" just like alcohol and cigarettes. not as evident but the damage is there.

The subject here is if we value life, well by your post earlier you are implying life has an absolute value, and you argue that we do not value life because we do things that harm it. The problem is, if we say this, useful things like cars fall into the equation too, and I can assure you that there are many people who are car owners and value life.

what I am saying is that it is not an absolute value, and that is the quality of life, the content if you will, and not the lenght or quantity what really adds to the value.
2411 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Melbourne, Australia
Offline
Posted 9/10/08

mauz15 wrote:


RainAddict wrote:


mauz15 wrote:


RainAddict wrote:

we dnt value our life if we did we wuldnt be smoking doin drugs drinking achohol to kill our selves earlier. we dnt care bt long term..we just care bt what feels good now.


The point is not the length of life but the quality of it.
You may not drink or smoke but I bet you drive a car. A car is a machine that gives off toxic fumes and yet people use it because it improves our life since it saves time so we can to do other things.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/369169.stm


i know what a car is thanks


you said

"we dnt value our life if we did we wuldnt be smoking doin drugs drinking achohol to kill our selves earlier"

So basically if we break things down you are saying:

because we do things that are harmful to our life in the long run: Like drugs, and tobacco and alcohol;
we do not value life.

This is not necessarily the case. Which is why I gave my car example because it falls in the same category as alcohol, and drugs.
We use it, and it is harmful to our life. It just so happens that cars are essential to our economy, so when we compare the benefits to the damages, it is worth keeping the machine around even though it is a fact that this "kills us little by little" just like alcohol and cigarettes. not as evident but the damage is there.

The subject here is if we value life, well by your post earlier you are implying life has an absolute value, and you argue that we do not value life because we do things that harm it. The problem is, if we say this, useful things like cars fall into the equation too, and I can assure you that there are many people who are car owners and value life.

what I am saying is that it is not an absolute value, and that is the quality of life, the content if you will, and not the lenght or quantity what really adds to the value.


get a life...gee i shuldnt have written nething to start with...

46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/10/08

RainAddict wrote:

get a life...gee i shuldnt have written nething to start with...



Learn to read correctly then. This is an extended discussion section. A discussion involves more than one person. This is not a diary where your opinions are just there and no one analyzes them. If you post here and expect no one to question your opinion you don't understand what a forum is.

Not my fault that you dont get it.

Most people who yell "get a life" can't even define what a worth life is, funnily this is proven by your posts made about life here.

Take care and have a good life.
Posted 9/10/08

RainAddict wrote:

we dnt value our life if we did we wuldnt be smoking doin drugs drinking achohol to kill our selves earlier. we dnt care bt long term..we just care bt what feels good now.

Rather living life to the fullest and dying within the 30s than getting old on a couch.

I take drugs, I do all the evil stuff, and guess what, I don't regret anything at all. I don't see how this might in any way mean that I don't value life. I am valuing my life through living/enjoying it to the fullest. Thanks anyway for telling me that I don't value my life.

/wrists

Floetry~
1704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / California
Offline
Posted 9/11/08

Cuddlebuns wrote:
"Dear God, please show that one guy Cuddlebuns the light and open his heart so that he may live happily in your holy presence, amen."


Cuddlebuns is such a winner, that if there were medals for the internet, he'd have not one, but two medals!

Also I want to mention that I regret having read the thread in full past Cuddlebun's bit, and Killerbee needs some time off the intarweb 'cause the dude is jaded.

AND TO BE RELEVANT!

Yes, I'm pretty sure everybody who's still alive at this moment values life -- though they might not appreciate it at the depth that some feel is appropriate. But really, to address your thing about getting mad and sad, etc -- it's unavoidable. Emotions are irrational, so all the logic and education and "I love life!" stuff that you could possibly cram your brain with isn't going to keep you from feeling those emotions; though you'd probably cope with them alot better than some.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 9/11/08

DKangN3 wrote:


Cuddlebuns wrote:
"Dear God, please show that one guy Cuddlebuns the light and open his heart so that he may live happily in your holy presence, amen."


Cuddlebuns is such a winner, that if there were medals for the internet, he'd have not one, but two medals!



Glad to see I finally have a fan.

On topic: If no one really valued their lives or the lives of others, we'd be doing all the crazy crap that we want to do but can't because it endangers other people's lives (speeding down the highway, having sex while jumping out of an airplane, etc).
1433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 9/12/08

Cuddlebuns wrote:


digs wrote:

I think we don't, our society is all about instant gratification. The attitude of instant gratification destroyed the desire to want to work towards something or be patient. We are all about doing something that feels good in the moment, and almost centering our day around those things, because of this we become lazy and we condition ourselves that true happiness and gratification comes from short things that reap instant pleasures. I think it makes us selfish, and unloving. Our society is all about self now, and hardly about the community or relationships with people (Family, friends, elders, etc...). The little things in life don't really interest us anymore because we have been so conditioned in our culture and lifestyle that happiness comes from things, it comes from money, it comes from drinking/drugs/sex. In the end it only leaves us hurt (hence higher suicide rates, divorce rates, lower educational standards, dependancy on social programs, etc...) Our culture is becoming very hedonistic like the Greeks did, and the next step was the conquer and take over of the Greek Empire. The same thing happened with the Roman Empire. I just hope that we learn from history and don't make the same mistakes, because history does repeat itself. Personally though, I think it is all because we are falling away from God (I am a Christian) and we are living for ourselves. But above states are what my social views on it are.


Doesn't all that mean that we do value our lives? That we are aware that we might not be here tomorrow so we want to enjoy ourselves as much as can while we're here? I agree that only thinking about today will just hurt us later on, and that it is a fairly big problem (in American society at least), but at the same time what's the point of life if we spend most of it preparing for a future that may not come?



Precisely, Cuddlebuns. Your argument with him reflects different values based on different expectations. I guess we're more in line with Nietzsche, who thought that religion, not atheism, was nihilistic in that it undervalued this life in hopes of a better one later on.

On the other hand, seeking pleasure does not necessarily mean we value our lives. If one wanted to die but couldn't gather the willpower to kill himself (let's say it's a biological issue more than a philosophical one, if the two can be separated), he might abandon himself to hedonism simply to drown out what he really feels or to make the most of what he hates.

Yet working hard for ourselves and for others around us does not necessarily reflect a valuing of life. Many are socialized to feel that all of this is necessary, some even to the point of making themselves miserable out of a sense of "duty."

I'm not saying the answer lies somewhere between the two--just that the way we live our lives does not necessarily reveal our thoughts, feelings, and values, especially to outside observers. We conceal so much from others and even, in the subconscious, from ourselves.

To each his own, I suppose. As far as I'm concerned, this issue is only important to the individual contemplating it, not to society at large, simply because of what I said: one's behavior is not determined by this value, nor is this value determined by one's behavior.
21144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / PLANTS
Offline
Posted 11/8/08
sure..if you dnt then whats the purpose of you being born...every human has the right to contribute and to destroy others
397 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 11/8/08
That's really two separate questions isn't it? Meaning:

1) Do we value life?

2) Do we value the small things that happen everyday?

For question 1 the answer is mostly "not really", unless the life happens to be our own or a life we associate with. A condition to live on is to be able to take the lives of others. Not other people of course. Other lives like plants and animals. Life is a struggle and life itself is not much valued.

For question 2 I feel that the answer would be mostly yes, even if people don't feel it. You fight because you feel there are things important to you that you can fight about. I mean do you think its fun to fight? Of course not. You're just protecting what you feel is important and that's usually the small everyday things. The way I see it its mostly because people don't want to lose these everyday things that make them value their own lives too. It's all the struggling, having fun and interesting/annoying other people of everyday life that makes people want to continue with it because they are afraid that all this will disappear once they die. So yes we all appreciate the small things in life, even if not consciously.
10599 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / bOx
Offline
Posted 12/6/08
I value my life..

I love my lifeeeeeeeeeeeee....

As each day goes on, I feel contented and happy to what i see, hear, smell and touch..

ahaha

TC

^^,
Posted 12/6/08
I do value how cute I am.
Posted 4/3/09
nope, people don't appreciate things until it's gone...
4408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Cavite, Philippines
Offline
Posted 4/3/09
There's no time to value the small things in life coz we're too busy living.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.