First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Please don't touch that
846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Austria
Offline
Posted 4/2/07
hmm well i watch animes since im 5 or 6 years old, began with NGE, Ghost in the Shell, berserk, akira and all this animes, but i never watched them dubbed, only english subbed and i really enjoided them more like that.

i actually wouldnt mind watching them dubbed, some of them arent that bad but it pisses me off that they censor it so school kids can watch them, like some before me said it.
Posted 4/2/07

azrael910 wrote:

The japanese have developed voice acting into an artform. Most celebrities don't take voice acting seriously unless Disney is attatched to the name, and while many american anime voice actors are good, most can't compare to their japanese counterparts. Things are improving though. Look how far video game voice acting has come. Anime is getting there, but has a while to go still. If you don't beleive me, compare the language tracks in any very emotional scene. I think american voice actors are too reserved and reluctant to show emotion in the sound booth. They try, but more often than not, it still sounds sounds half assed to me.



Do you speak Japanese? I don't, and since I can't speak the language, I can't really comment on the quality of the Japanese voice acting. But I prefer subs on exactly those grounds. I can't tell if the voice acting is bad, so (most of) it automatically sounds good. At least to me.

The author of that article has a point about the subs distracting you from the art though, it really is annoying and I often pause anime so I have time to both read the subs and look at the art. The best solution to all of this is of course to learn Japanese. Then you really can judge whether the English or Japanese dub is better and watch whatever you want without subs.
66914 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Lowell,Ma
Offline
Posted 4/2/07
i think japanese voice acting is good since im use to it, i practically know the basic words for japanese jus because i watch anime lol and i'd rather watch it japanese speaking with sub instead of english because the voices in english is like rly bad
3751 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Where ever theres...
Offline
Posted 4/2/07
Only things that I hate about dubs is the censorship and that I hear the same voice actors all the time.
7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 4/2/07

Cordivine wrote:


azrael910 wrote:

The japanese have developed voice acting into an artform. Most celebrities don't take voice acting seriously unless Disney is attatched to the name, and while many american anime voice actors are good, most can't compare to their japanese counterparts. Things are improving though. Look how far video game voice acting has come. Anime is getting there, but has a while to go still. If you don't beleive me, compare the language tracks in any very emotional scene. I think american voice actors are too reserved and reluctant to show emotion in the sound booth. They try, but more often than not, it still sounds sounds half assed to me.



Do you speak Japanese? I don't, and since I can't speak the language, I can't really comment on the quality of the Japanese voice acting. But I prefer subs on exactly those grounds. I can't tell if the voice acting is bad, so (most of) it automatically sounds good. At least to me.

The author of that article has a point about the subs distracting you from the art though, it really is annoying and I often pause anime so I have time to both read the subs and look at the art. The best solution to all of this is of course to learn Japanese. Then you really can judge whether the English or Japanese dub is better and watch whatever you want without subs.


I've been reading subtitles now for so long I don't even really notice subs anymore (unless they're timed really badly, or don't match up with what they're saying). Once in a blue moon I'll pause the subs, usually when they have text on the bottom and top of the screen (like a large cultural note or something), but I can usually read it all in time even in those situations.

When I first started watching anime I couldn't follow the subs and what was going on, so I'd usually watch in english (since I was mainly renting DVDs when I first got into anime). The first anime I saw in it's entirety (GitS) I saw subbed and although I enjoyed it, I was frustrated at how hard the subs were to follow. Eventuall I started attending an anime club that showed only subs, and after several months there I had become very conditioned to reading subs to the extent that I started watching them on my own.

Now, on more than one occasion I've started watching an anime DVD and I've turned the japanese language track on, but not the subs, and it's taken me several minutes to realize it. I didn't notice because I could understand everything they were saying (usually morning or off to school routines or something like that) and I didn't realize I wasn't reading subs. I've watched so much anime I'm getting to the point I can tell the difference between the accents caracters have (though not completely... yet). So I would go as far as to say I can tell the difference between good and bad japanese voice acting. There are a small handfull of titles I prefer in english, and a few I can go either way on, but typically the japanese language tracks are far superior. And it's only within recent years that the english language versions can even begin to compare really.
1834 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / U.K
Offline
Posted 4/2/07
Well I watched the first 50 eps of Naruto in english, cause I wasn't used to subs. Then the episodes ran out and I couldn't find more english dub, so I started watching subs...for a few episodes, it was extremely painful, hard to follow what was going on, I didn't know the language, ect. but after I while I realised how much better the original Japanese was...now I only watch subs. One Piece showed me how bad 4Kids are...oh dear lord did they slaughter that. And I actually see people degrade the anime due to the english dub and it annoys me, if your gonna watch it, watch it in Japanese!
6347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / SDF-1
Offline
Posted 4/2/07

silvermoon8573 wrote:


n0odle wrote:

American censorship sucks balls. I consider "Robotech" the wrost sin Americans censors has done to mankind. Lame censorship + lame dubbing = gayness. Land of the free indeed.


i thought sailor moon was horribly butchered. my favorite anime turned into the most childish anime possible. sailor moon is considered kiddyish because the american marketed it that way and targeted little kids...


Sailor Moon got it easy compared to Robotech, or should I say Macross. How bad did the American Macross get the axe? They pieced together unused footage to make a new episode...that's how bad it had it. Not to mention the lame new name for the show and the characters.
6347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / SDF-1
Offline
Posted 4/2/07

silvermoon8573 wrote:


n0odle wrote:

American censorship sucks balls. I consider "Robotech" the wrost sin Americans censors has done to mankind. Lame censorship + lame dubbing = gayness. Land of the free indeed.


i thought sailor moon was horribly butchered. my favorite anime turned into the most childish anime possible. sailor moon is considered kiddyish because the american marketed it that way and targeted little kids...


Sailor Moon got it easy compared to Robotech, or should I say Macross. How bad did the American Macross get the axe? They pieced together unused footage to make a new episode...that's how bad it had it. Not to mention the lame new name for the show and the characters.
7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 4/2/07

n0odle wrote:


silvermoon8573 wrote:


n0odle wrote:

American censorship sucks balls. I consider "Robotech" the wrost sin Americans censors has done to mankind. Lame censorship + lame dubbing = gayness. Land of the free indeed.


i thought sailor moon was horribly butchered. my favorite anime turned into the most childish anime possible. sailor moon is considered kiddyish because the american marketed it that way and targeted little kids...


Sailor Moon got it easy compared to Robotech, or should I say Macross. How bad did the American Macross get the axe? They pieced together unused footage to make a new episode...that's how bad it had it. Not to mention the lame new name for the show and the characters.


Well... you're talking about two radically different approaches to translating an anime, and two completely different eras of american cartoon entertainment.

Back in the 80s, they were concerned about getting the largest chunk of cartoon programming they could. Quality wasn't even really an issue, it was just a matter of whether it was capable of selling toys and occupying air time. I'm not saying they all sucked (because they sure as hell didn't), it was just expected for series to be enormous, well over 100 epeisodes if possible.

It didn't take people long to figure out they could buy the rights to japanese shows, dub them, and release them in america without ever actually having to animate anything. There were a few problems though.

First, the japanese shows weren't near long enough to fill the needed air time. Easily enough fixed, just buy a few somewhat series and splice them all together to make one big series fit to fill all that air time.

Second, the japanese shows were considered to explicit for young american audiences. So cut cut here, and a snip snip here, you have family friendly entertainment sure not offend. Also, all references to a show being from japan were removed. Anything from a kanji character to a set of chopsticks were removed. The goal was to americanize it as much as possible.

As far as why the translations were bad, that's because they were never actually translated in the first place. That's right, the people writing the american scripts more often than not didn't even speak japanese in the first place. They just made up stories that went along with the animation.

Say what you will about Sailor Moon, it was a very remarkable landmark of anime on american television since it was one of the first series that they didn't try to hide the fact it was from japan and they actually translated it. Sure, they editied the living crap out of it, and a lot of the translation was questionable, but it was still leagues better the than the treatment series like Voltron and Macross got.
Posted 4/2/07
I don't care about 4kids, but before you say anything about Viz Media, remember this. Its not like 4kids where they edit anything or everything, if they do edit things its only to keep the rating where it needs to be. Take Ranma 1/2, that is unedited and still is a great series as well as many others. We are all in agreegence, 4kids makes anime look like cartoons that we watched when we were kids.

Viz Media is a good company, trust me I've been buying/watching their memobilla since the late 70's with Ursei Yatsura.
6347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / SDF-1
Offline
Posted 4/2/07

Sousuke2007 wrote:

I don't care about 4kids, but before you say anything about Viz Media, remember this. Its not like 4kids where they edit anything or everything, if they do edit things its only to keep the rating where it needs to be. Take Ranma 1/2, that is unedited and still is a great series as well as many others. We are all in agreegence, 4kids makes anime look like cartoons that we watched when we were kids.

Viz Media is a good company, trust me I've been buying/watching their memobilla since the late 70's with Ursei Yatsura.


Have ever seen the name of jutsus that is in the Viz translation of Naruto? They make me cringe.

I'd say Tokyopop is one of the better translators. They still edit but keep it to a mininum.

I started watching anime dubbed too but not in English, but in Chinese so it was not that bad compared to American censorship.

I love Miyazaki's no-edits policy. Rumor has it he sent a Katana to editors at Diseny with a note saying "No cuts, peroid".
xD
Posted 4/2/07
All right, fair fight there. Naruto got a bad treatment of really bad editors and such. But if you think three years ago, no one even knew of Naruto. I however did, and have a few episodes in Japanese. In a nutshell, it depends on who edits the anime/manga, Naruto really isn't meant for anyone younger than fourteen, at least that was the way it was before Viz Media got some really bad editors.

Here is some examples of how 4kids edits far worse than Viz Media.

1. Example one of 4kids: They edit out of One Piece rice all together for no reason at all.

2. Example of Viz Media: Edited out a few curse words out of One Piece manga, but only because of the rating and because the words weren't needed then.

3. Example of 4kids: They edited so much of One Piece that they had to cancel the production because there wasn't much left to dub.

4. Example of Viz Media: They never cancel any of their series and maintain a good attitude about anime and manga.

See the diffrence?
6347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / SDF-1
Offline
Posted 4/2/07
Dude everyone that was into anime knew about Naruto 3 years ago. LOL.

But to be fair to 4kids...the wrost editor has to be New World Pictures.

Take a look at what they did to Ghibli's Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

Be ready in cring mode.

That poster is only a warning, the film itself is sooo badly editted that is a completly different movie. It is like the Star Wars Holiday Special of anime I guess.








That monster that you see is the reason Miyazaki imposed his "no-edits" policy.
1909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/2/07
Cardcaptor Sakura and One Piece were severely mutilated :[
Posted 4/2/07
All I can say is; that monster reminds me of the meatloaf I ate in my youth.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.