First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Heaven
506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / my lil world
Offline
Posted 4/2/07
heaven.....there is none.....if there was one.....why are we in this hell.....
14215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / I wonder...
Offline
Posted 4/2/07
i believe there's a heaven. but of course, everyone else has their own beliefs
4565 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / somewhere in silence
Offline
Posted 4/2/07

catex wrote:

There is no heaven. The concept exists to

- attract people to an organised religion (and control them)
- make hardships in life easier to bear
- make people less afraid of death


its like we have the same mind...lol...I agree...and mauzs statement works for me as well
6347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / SDF-1
Offline
Posted 4/2/07
According to a crazed Catholic I met, I am going to hell for "worshipping" anime. No heaven for me.
78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 4/2/07

insane_killer_bunny wrote:

you don't need to be religious to believe in heaven.



I second the motion. But being religious gives us a little reason to be hopeful when the day comes that we are to leave this earth. Honestly, for me, heaven is to be at a great inner peace. This world is full of crap and worries that burden us... but to be at peace and to finally gain that something we've been looking for all our lives on this earth... that's heaven.

Haha, getting a little emotional there. Interesting thread, btw. ;)
406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Charlotte, NC
Offline
Posted 4/3/07
1st question sure why not, elaboration on here and now done by previous posts
don't care what its like (I'd rather "sleep" without knowin I was)
I better, I appreciate most religions and pray every now and then but, believe I could draw from my own spirit living a much simpler life.
6326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Hogwarts
Offline
Posted 4/3/07

cbisram wrote:

no I don't believe in heaven, I second mauz sentiments, the here and now is a much more important than the useless notion of heaven.


I dont think its useless. Heaven exist. All you have to do is look up and see.

You dont have to be all critical of all most simple things such as heaven. If you think heaven doesnt exist then you just lost some passing pleasure.

But I must say, that is useless to worry about going to heaven or hell. I agree, the present is more important as it will affect the future and the past and mostly because no one has the right to judge others or even yourself and determine if you shall go to heaven or hell.
11659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/3/07
^ what? you can see heaven? I need to go to your optometrist.
I'm fine with losing out on some unproven, imaginary concept, it saves me much brain cells and makes me less prone to wishful thinking.
Posted 4/3/07
^^ thank you. my words exactly.
heaven exists and you can believe it or not.
personally i like to think that such a place exists where people are free from misery and pain. its an incentive for me to not be a bad person so that i can get to heaven instead of plummaging to hell.
if that's too simplistic a view then ah well.
5248 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Philippines
Offline
Posted 4/3/07
heaven is a place where we will reside if we believe in God. A place with no suffering. Yes i believe it even i don't know the reason why. i don't know what it's like.
Posted 4/3/07
I think in heaven everything I wish =]
because of this I will find my sexy guy from Asia there XD

about heaven or hell i'm still confused about this topic ~.~
11659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/3/07
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy entry on Heaven and Hell (for those who want more elaboration on the topic)
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/heaven-hell/
78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 4/3/07
I think heaven is the epitome of the human desire to search for perfection - in philosophy, to become one with the infinite. For some reason, whether you say heaven or hell is just a tool used to quell human desires and keep them on the leesh, heaven and hell is a moral concept, and human beings are moral beings at that. It's just like the whole concept of a paradoxical universe - there is always a counterpart to an existing truth. Where there is light, there is darkness; good, there is evil; and on a theological/philosophical level, heaven and hell.

Heaven and hell don't have to be physical concepts, but they help in understanding what it means to be good and evil.

Oh, and I forgot. The modern catechism refers to heaven as "eternal life" and hell as "eternal damnation". A more up-to-date understanding is that "eternal" means "not changing" and refers to living a life that does not change, or in other words, one that has realized "truth". Therefore, eternal life can begin even during our lifetimes, and is the basis of Christian commitment to God.

Eternal damnation refers to a separation from God, how sin pulls us appart from realizing the "truth" and coming to know our God. Eternal damnation can occur in our own lives, just as eternal life occurs in our own lives.

Sorry, I'm posting this up, but I'm a catechist and I teach little kids basic theology - but I also teach college students introductory theology. That's why I said earlier that this thread is intersting. It's refreshing to hear what people have to say regarding the "afterlife". :)

*Please don't double post. use the edit button*
~mauz15 (forum moderator)
3829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / rawr...
Offline
Posted 4/3/07

lilprince wrote:


catex wrote:

There is no heaven. The concept exists to

- attract people to an organised religion (and control them)
- make hardships in life easier to bear
- make people less afraid of death


its like we have the same mind...lol...I agree...and mauzs statement works for me as well



would you prefer that the concept of heaven wasn't there?
7886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Melbourne
Offline
Posted 4/3/07
i prefer the concept that heaven is were god who is a woman lives.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.