First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
The world, does it ignorantly stereotype religion?
7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 12/2/07

SeraphAlford wrote:


kyocool wrote:

People IGNORANTLY follow religion....I wouldn't say necessarily stereotypes it.


Trevor (OP)


Yes, some people do, but not all religious people are ignorant. I’m better educated than any atheist I’ve ever met. Most atheists, like most Christians, like most people in general, are ignorant and stupid.



You're 17. I'd venture to say you still live at home with your parents and haven't attended college. You probably don't even have a high school diploma yet. No matter how you look at it, you've lived in a very small world. To claim mastery over it is first, highly arrogant, and second pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Show me a bachelors of science and I'll call you educated. Anything lower than that is chump change, as are the people you're dealing with if you are the cream of the crop (at least when compared to all those silly atheists).
610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/2/07
in general yes i think so. the worse thing is the stereotypings coming from diff religions followers are totally diff and opposing. "My is real, the other is evil."

and while u prompt the question "are people ignorantly stereotyping religion?", people having strong faith in their religions would ask you "why you are ignorant to which is the real God and which is the Devil?"

6480 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Intelligence Route
Offline
Posted 12/3/07
It's not stereotype. It's fate.
Posted 12/3/07
Yes. I hate the fact that people can just say something about a certain religion without knowing it and just considering that it's all the same..
I remember once in school, we were talking about the different types of Christianity and my teacher said, ''...Yeah. Born-again Christians are happy jumpy people. They just sing and dance...'' I was so outraged about what he said. He was implying that we (Yes, I'm a Born-again Christian.) do not take our faith seriously, now I'm not saying very religiously eg. HAVE to pray, SHOULD.. COULD.. (if you know what I mean.) but still...
It also aggrivates me how people say, ''Oh, my God!'' without a care.. (now I say it sometimes but I'm trying not to say it anymore) But notice if you say ''Oh, my Allah!'' it gets people so angry.. Weird, huh?
13903 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 12/3/07

neuroneuster wrote:

It's not stereotype. It's fate.


Hun it's not fate, because people create and control these stereotypes.

And duh, I don't even know why this is an issue, people clearly stereotype religion.
Seraph, you even indicated that all Christian (among with most people in general) are ignorant and stupid. That is clearly a stereotypical statement and you aren't the only one who has said that.

People do it without thinking, people do it without meaning to do it. I guess you can interpret that as "ignorantly". But I think you meant "ignorant" in the sense of lack of knowledge or knowing any better. We are all guilty of that also.

We all have preformed views of every groups of people whether it be their age group, racial group, cultural group, even their health group (obese people are always scrutinized and stereotyped as lazy, unproductive people). So of course religion will be stereotyped.

And it is one of those things that you cannot cure because we are beings that always categorize everything into specie/genus and yes, social taxonomy also falls into this.
However, in a non-scientific taxonomy, you have a conglomeration of accurate and not-so accurate "facts" on every group. The world's mind's eye is pretty much restricted and very close-minded. The only way to eradicate this problem is to educate each and every single one in the world and get rid of every stereotypical notion and start from the top.

Which is unlikely to happen. Because nobody cares.
739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 12/3/07
why would saying oh my Allah get people angry i dont understand could you explain it a bit more?? but if you mean that muslims get defensive about their religion then i can understand you and tell you that it wouldnt get any muslim angry they would just think that you are a frustrated muslim.
568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / france
Offline
Posted 12/3/07
unfortunately most if not all of the stereotypes on religions are true
56939 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 12/3/07
well its how ever you take it, but it does for me hehehe
13903 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 12/3/07

boulet wrote:

unfortunately most if not all of the stereotypes on religions are true


Not true.
I think the point Seraph was trying to make was that the world unjustly and ignorantly stereotype religion and it is unfortunate because not all of them are true.
They might apply to certain EXTREMISTS but not to those who practice their religion moderately.

I am a moderate Catholic but I don't hate gays, I'm not against abortion, etc. I'm not an extreme conservative, etc.
I have Muslim friends who also practice their faith moderately. They get along very well with people of other religions and they don't know how to make bombs, etc.

Not all Christians are one way, not all Muslims are one way, not anyone are ever the same. Just because a person can fall into a stereotype does not mean that everyone like him will be the same.

4328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / for the love of g...
Offline
Posted 12/3/07
you know Seraph, I really respect your opinions, but sometimes I just feel like bombing your threads.

We can't change people and what they think about religion. If an Atheist wants to think that all muslim are pompus zealots, let him. If a muslim wants to think the same thing about a christian, let it be. It's only going to cause more problems. Yes, it's been clarified that religions are being stereotyped but what do you suggest be done about it? If you start explaining your religion and it's actual laws, people will only see it as preaching and a means to convert them. and Seraph, I think you should also be careful of your wording, you don't realize it, but you may be giving offense to somebody.

And I agree with flippizzle. Good point you made there.
716 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / wherever i seem t...
Offline
Posted 12/3/07

RealJudgement_Mohinder wrote:

you know Seraph, I really respect your opinions, but sometimes I just feel like bombing your threads.

We can't change people and what they think about religion. If an Atheist wants to think that all muslim are pompus zealots, let him. If a muslim wants to think the same thing about a christian, let it be. It's only going to cause more problems. Yes, it's been clarified that religions are being stereotyped but what do you suggest be done about it? If you start explaining your religion and it's actual laws, people will only see it as preaching and a means to convert them. and Seraph, I think you should also be careful of your wording, you don't realize it, but you may be giving offense to somebody.

And I agree with flippizzle. Good point you made there.


completely in agreement.

unfortunately there is nothing that can be done. people want to believe in different religions then thats there choice, they also have the right to hate or love what they want. religion is just one of those topics that is a conundrum. there is no way to prove your right and no way to prove your wrong, hence the whole faith thing in religion.
60348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/3/07
I am a religious person but i dont believe in forcing my religion on people ... I will only talk about my religion in detail if some one asks me i wont force it on anyone maybe its just me but i try not to stereotype anyone (rember i said try didnt say dont)
276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 12/3/07
yes i do. infact i make fun of the borders that religion places around me. No sex before marriage? screw that. Whats wrong with enjoying the pleasure of sex with a partner? Girls and Guys who believe in religion are being molded into sexually inadept creatures who have no idea how to deal with a sexual relationship because they're bounded by chains of religion. I forgot to mention how it hinders guys and girls socially too.
13903 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 12/3/07

bestbacon wrote:

Girls and Guys who believe in religion are being molded into sexually inadept creatures who have no idea how to deal with a sexual relationship because they're bounded by chains of religion. I forgot to mention how it hinders guys and girls socially too.


Yet another stereotype that doesn't apply to everyone that follows whatever religion you have in mind.
276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 12/3/07
christianity in particular.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.