First  Prev  161  162  163  164  165  166  167  168  169  170  171  172  173  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime is different from cartoons!
Posted 9/25/12

Shrapnel893 wrote:



49096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 9/25/12




Posted 9/25/12

Shrapnel893 wrote:







49096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 9/25/12

gaara579 wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:











Posted 9/25/12

Shrapnel893 wrote:


gaara579 wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:













24016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / São Paulo, Brazil
Offline
Posted 9/25/12 , edited 9/25/12
Anime is the same as cartoons.

But it's a japanese cartoon. Just because the themes are broad, and it appeals to a wider range of ages, it doesn't mean it isn't a cartoon.



The problem isn't really people calling cartoons, it's the connotations they're thinking of when they call it a cartoon. When they call it a cartoon, they think Looney Tunes, they don't think about it being a legitimate medium for entertainment like film. Really, it's their loss, as there's so much this medium has to give them that they just refuse to understand.

On the matter at hand: ^ my exact thoughts.
20429 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Far west texas
Offline
Posted 12/8/12 , edited 12/8/12
ALL ANIME IS NOT CARTOONS! Cartoons are a SUBCATEGORY of animation just as anime is a subcategory of animation. Cartoons are defined as deformed, overly morphed, or gag illustrations or animations usually with a humorous intent or made for children. Some anime are cartoons because they fit in that definition but not all anime is.

People calling anime cartoons is really annoying. Anime should be thought of as another medium for any story just as film is.

(Edit: I wanted to add this additional piece of logic, Saying anime is a cartoon because a cartoon is animation would be the same as saying since a chocolate cake is a cake all cake must be chocolate. All chocolate cakes are cake but not all cakes are chocolate.)
19116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 12/8/12
I personally don't get 'mad' persay I just prefer to call it anime and not cartoons just so that I know what I'm watching western or eastern I guess
20429 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Far west texas
Offline
Posted 12/8/12
I don't just think anime are the only animations that are not cartoons. The Japanese word anime is synonymous with animation, its a shortened way of how they pronounce the word anime. The English word cartoon is not synonymous with animation, it evolve as a satire form of art. Cartoons are the most common type of animation in the west but not the only type. I consider Heavy Metal, Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic and other similiar animations not to be cartoons and agree there are anime that are cartoons. In japan all animations would be considered anime - true but here in the west the word cartoon has a different meaning. My strong objection is from the appreciation of animation as an art form, I have not interest in becoming japanese, I hate japanese food, I love their myth and lore but no more than I do other myth and lore lets say from Greece or Ireland or anywhere else.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 12/8/12

demondog89 wrote:

I don't just think anime are the only animations that are not cartoons. The Japanese word anime is synonymous with animation, its a shortened way of how they pronounce the word anime. The English word cartoon is not synonymous with animation, it evolve as a satire form of art. Cartoons are the most common type of animation in the west but not the only type. I consider Heavy Metal, Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic and other similiar animations not to be cartoons and agree there are anime that are cartoons. In japan all animations would be considered anime - true but here in the west the word cartoon has a different meaning. My strong objection is from the appreciation of animation as an art form, I have not interest in becoming japanese, I hate japanese food, I love their myth and lore but no more than I do other myth and lore lets say from Greece or Ireland or anywhere else.


I'm similar to you to be honest. However when people get all enraged and seem to take the cartoon =/= anime personally. My contrary streak rears up and wants to tell them to get over themselves. Weather or not someone uses the correct word for it shouldn't be a threat to your self identity.

49096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 12/8/12

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


demondog89 wrote:

I don't just think anime are the only animations that are not cartoons. The Japanese word anime is synonymous with animation, its a shortened way of how they pronounce the word anime. The English word cartoon is not synonymous with animation, it evolve as a satire form of art. Cartoons are the most common type of animation in the west but not the only type. I consider Heavy Metal, Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic and other similiar animations not to be cartoons and agree there are anime that are cartoons. In japan all animations would be considered anime - true but here in the west the word cartoon has a different meaning. My strong objection is from the appreciation of animation as an art form, I have not interest in becoming japanese, I hate japanese food, I love their myth and lore but no more than I do other myth and lore lets say from Greece or Ireland or anywhere else.


I'm similar to you to be honest. However when people get all enraged and seem to take the cartoon =/= anime personally. My contrary streak rears up and wants to tell them to get over themselves. Weather or not someone uses the correct word for it shouldn't be a threat to your self identity.



Agreed. Also it's whether not weather....
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 12/8/12

Shrapnel893 wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


demondog89 wrote:

I don't just think anime are the only animations that are not cartoons. The Japanese word anime is synonymous with animation, its a shortened way of how they pronounce the word anime. The English word cartoon is not synonymous with animation, it evolve as a satire form of art. Cartoons are the most common type of animation in the west but not the only type. I consider Heavy Metal, Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic and other similiar animations not to be cartoons and agree there are anime that are cartoons. In japan all animations would be considered anime - true but here in the west the word cartoon has a different meaning. My strong objection is from the appreciation of animation as an art form, I have not interest in becoming japanese, I hate japanese food, I love their myth and lore but no more than I do other myth and lore lets say from Greece or Ireland or anywhere else.


I'm similar to you to be honest. However when people get all enraged and seem to take the cartoon =/= anime personally. My contrary streak rears up and wants to tell them to get over themselves. Weather or not someone uses the correct word for it shouldn't be a threat to your self identity.



Agreed. Also it's whether not weather....


Oops that's what I get for making my lips move as I type.



9384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Jacksonville, Texas
Offline
Posted 12/8/12

demondog89 wrote:

ALL ANIME IS NOT CARTOONS! Cartoons are a SUBCATEGORY of animation just as anime is a subcategory of animation. Cartoons are defined as deformed, overly morphed, or gag illustrations or animations usually with a humorous intent or made for children. Some anime are cartoons because they fit in that definition but not all anime is.

People calling anime cartoons is really annoying. Anime should be thought of as another medium for any story just as film is.

(Edit: I wanted to add this additional piece of logic, Saying anime is a cartoon because a cartoon is animation would be the same as saying since a chocolate cake is a cake all cake must be chocolate. All chocolate cakes are cake but not all cakes are chocolate.)


"1) a drawing symbolizing, satirizing, or caricaturing some action, subject, or person. 2) comic strip. 3) animated cartoon."
- Random House Webster's College Dictionary

By these definitions, specifically definitions 1 and 3, all anime are cartoons, as all anime are animated drawings symbolizing an action, subject, or person. There's no requirement for humorous intent or being made for children. You say not all anime are cartoons. Can you give an example? Also, no offense, but your analogy doesn't work. Those two statements are not saying the same thing at all. A more logical analogy using your last statement would be "All chocolate cakes are cake, but not all cakes are chocolate. Likewise, all Japanese animation is animation, but not all animation is Japanese."
20429 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Far west texas
Offline
Posted 12/8/12 , edited 12/8/12

noraa3812 wrote:
"1) a drawing symbolizing, satirizing, or caricaturing some action, subject, or person. 2) comic strip. 3) animated cartoon."
- Random House Webster's College Dictionary

By these definitions, specifically definitions 1 and 3, all anime are cartoons, as all anime are animated drawings symbolizing an action, subject, or person. There's no requirement for humorous intent or being made for children. You say not all anime are cartoons. Can you give an example? Also, no offense, but your analogy doesn't work. Those two statements are not saying the same thing at all. A more logical analogy using your last statement would be "All chocolate cakes are cake, but not all cakes are chocolate. Likewise, all Japanese animation is animation, but not all animation is Japanese."


Definition 1 mentions satire and definition 3 elaborates printed cartoons being animated.

Ok fine merriam-webster dictionary (I choose this since you mentioned webster although you should know that many dictionaries will give vastly different definitions)
1
: a preparatory design, drawing, or painting (as for a fresco)
2
a : a drawing intended as satire, caricature, or humor <a political cartoon>
b : comic strip
3
: animated cartoon
4
: a ludicrously simplistic, unrealistic, or one-dimensional portrayal or version <the film's villain is an entertaining cartoon>

Pay attention to definition 4

And to revise the analogy All cartoons are animation but not all animation are cartoons.


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

I'm similar to you to be honest. However when people get all enraged and seem to take the cartoon =/= anime personally. My contrary streak rears up and wants to tell them to get over themselves. Weather or not someone uses the correct word for it shouldn't be a threat to your self identity.



Your argument is quite reasonable and I can't deny what you're saying. I did however never say I get enraged, it simply annoys me and I hardly correct anyone in real life because its not worth it and doesn't damage my self identity (I find nothing wrong with watching cartoons and I still will sometimes).


Anyways I didn't realize this was such a hot topic. Hopefully like dubs vs. subs we can agree that all anime fans will never agree on one view point. So I'll give up on correcting people
14604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 12/8/12
I just call them as they are. If I'm watching an animated show that was made in Japan I'll call it an anime and if I watch an animated show made in here in the US I'll call it a cartoon. If someone asks me what anime is I just tell them it's a Japanese cartoon. Sure they are both cartoons, but I just prefer calling them by the name they were each given.
First  Prev  161  162  163  164  165  166  167  168  169  170  171  172  173  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.