First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Politics
Member
2787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Perth, Western Au...
Offline
Posted 9/27/08
Its almost becoming that way..
If Singaporeans cannot do well, no frets! We bring in foreign talent!
No one wants to do all the 'indecent jobs'? No frets! We bring in foreign 'talent'!
Population too small? No frets! We bring in foreign 'talent'!
So, now our jobs no matter being decent or indecent, a good job high up on the organization ladder or a part-timer, are mostly taken by said foreign talent.
And they wonder why Singaporeans are opting to study and work overseas.
No offense meant, but right now, it's almost as if we are being chased out of our homeland.

All the talk about having to take care of the elderly (due to aging population) are just that. Talk.
No upgrading for the estates doesnt just affect the younger generation when they support opposition parties.
It affects the elderly in many ways. Do they see all the old and frail trying to climb up the stairs? Or having to walk 1 or 2 bustops to get to the nearest market to buy groceries? Or worse still, having to take public transport to somewhere halfway across the island to get to a proper supermarket.

Not to forget the inflation rate which is still inflating. Sure, they adjust the prices accordingly when raw materials go up. But they sure as heck didnt adjust our pay. Salary is the same, cost of living increases therefore, net savings decreases.
ERP? Yay! Let's build more gantries! And while we are at it, let's increase the taxi fare too, due to increase in the price of oil. Bad enough that fuel costs a bomb, they still have to increase the price of taking public transport. At this rate, everyone would be reduced to walking or cycling and perhaps even skating. (next thing you know, the prices of shoes, bicycles, skates would soar up due to increase in consumer demand)

A certain percentage of your salary is taken to put into 'your' CPF. Sure, it sounds good. To have some money put aside for you when you are old, wrinkled and unable to work. Then, the age to withdraw your savings goes up. So now, you would still have to work when you are old and almost wrinkled. Regardless of whether you are capable of working, you would still have to wait till you are of a certain age before you can withdraw your own money. (Whats the age now? 65? I have no idea)

Honestly, the only man who deserves full respect is our MM Lee Kuan Yew.
No offense meant with this incoherant post. I'm just a disgruntled attachment student with a measly pay who doesnt read the newspapers as its becoming very much more like propaganda.
Member
20924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 9/27/08
PAP Kindergarten is considered a propaganda school. Burn them!
Member
20924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 9/27/08
They bring in products frm China rather than our nearest neighbour. And now, they bring in tainted products in. What the hell are we thinking? We too trusted with "made in china" products, now get stab back by milk scandal.
Member
Hoy
1085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 9/27/08

azera wrote:


Hoy wrote:


azera wrote:


Hoy wrote:


MUD-PIES-YUM wrote:


Hoy wrote:


shoushin89 wrote:


Hoy wrote:












lol you said dat SG is totalitarian, I say WOW! You got guts to say dat out loud..


Hey, i nv say SG is totalitarian, i say Sg seems to be more totalitarian than social. totalitarian elements can be found in sg, thats all. different k.
Member
Hoy
1085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 9/27/08

xsmiggersx wrote:

Its almost becoming that way..
If Singaporeans cannot do well, no frets! We bring in foreign talent!
No one wants to do all the 'indecent jobs'? No frets! We bring in foreign 'talent'!
Population too small? No frets! We bring in foreign 'talent'!
So, now our jobs no matter being decent or indecent, a good job high up on the organization ladder or a part-timer, are mostly taken by said foreign talent.
And they wonder why Singaporeans are opting to study and work overseas.
No offense meant, but right now, it's almost as if we are being chased out of our homeland.

All the talk about having to take care of the elderly (due to aging population) are just that. Talk.
No upgrading for the estates doesnt just affect the younger generation when they support opposition parties.
It affects the elderly in many ways. Do they see all the old and frail trying to climb up the stairs? Or having to walk 1 or 2 bustops to get to the nearest market to buy groceries? Or worse still, having to take public transport to somewhere halfway across the island to get to a proper supermarket.

Not to forget the inflation rate which is still inflating. Sure, they adjust the prices accordingly when raw materials go up. But they sure as heck didnt adjust our pay. Salary is the same, cost of living increases therefore, net savings decreases.
ERP? Yay! Let's build more gantries! And while we are at it, let's increase the taxi fare too, due to increase in the price of oil. Bad enough that fuel costs a bomb, they still have to increase the price of taking public transport. At this rate, everyone would be reduced to walking or cycling and perhaps even skating. (next thing you know, the prices of shoes, bicycles, skates would soar up due to increase in consumer demand)

A certain percentage of your salary is taken to put into 'your' CPF. Sure, it sounds good. To have some money put aside for you when you are old, wrinkled and unable to work. Then, the age to withdraw your savings goes up. So now, you would still have to work when you are old and almost wrinkled. Regardless of whether you are capable of working, you would still have to wait till you are of a certain age before you can withdraw your own money. (Whats the age now? 65? I have no idea)

Honestly, the only man who deserves full respect is our MM Lee Kuan Yew.
No offense meant with this incoherant post. I'm just a disgruntled attachment student with a measly pay who doesnt read the newspapers as its becoming very much more like propaganda.


Why do you think MM Lee deserves full respect?
Member
2787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Perth, Western Au...
Offline
Posted 9/28/08
Without him, Singapore would never have achieved independance.
Cant really blame him from the state SG is in now..Though I think its his idea regarding foreign talent..
Member
20924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 9/28/08
Yah we know bout dat he does to SG... i mean he need to a bit of improvement to free speech issues, free press, strict laws, and the childish acts he made to politicans. After those improvement, nobdy can felt hate to LKY. No more!
Member
Hoy
1085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 9/28/08

xsmiggersx wrote:

Without him, Singapore would never have achieved independance.
Cant really blame him from the state SG is in now..Though I think its his idea regarding foreign talent..


Something to keep in mind is that, MM Lee is not the only one who is responsible for letting Sg achieve independence. Lets not give him full credit for that.

And lets not forget MM Lee is the one who started with the oppression of opposition in Sg. And lets not forget about operation coldstore, where he imprison many oppositions under the ISA. People like chia thye poh who was imprisoned for 23 years and later confined for 9 years: total 32 year and Said Zahari who was improsoned for 17 years.

As much as i admire MM Lee with his achievements in Sg, especially economically, I personally find it very hard to give him my full respect...
Member
2787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Perth, Western Au...
Offline
Posted 9/28/08
Well, to each his or her own.
To me, he deserves my respect. For all that he has done. Some of which may be unnecessary but still, its part of the process for SG to become what it is today.

You, are of course entitled to your own views and opinions.

But what I've said before are simply just my thoughts. Not that I'm forcing my views on others.
Member
15933 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / 1° 17′ 0″ N, 103°...
Offline
Posted 9/28/08 , edited 9/28/08

xsmiggersx wrote:

Without him, Singapore would never have achieved independance.
Cant really blame him from the state SG is in now..Though I think its his idea regarding foreign talent..

hmmm... our independence was achieved when we got kicked out of Msia, not because he wanted it and was working for it... just to set the record straight... unless, you're thanking him for the fluke...
and can i also point out there is a difference b/w foreign workers and foreign talent. not to say that foreign workers aren't talented... but they are the ones who accept the blue-collared jobs... and pay that most Singaporeans don't want to take up...
Member
2787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Perth, Western Au...
Offline
Posted 9/29/08
Yea I know there's a difference between foregin talents and foreign workers. It was a pun.
Member
Hoy
1085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 9/30/08
Singapore opposition leader, J.B. Jeyaretnam just died this morning due to heart failure.

For those who dont know who he is, he was Singapore's 1st opposition MP since 1981 anson by-election. He was bought down from office after a series of, no surprise here, of charges bought to him by the government.

You can google him for more information
Member
Hoy
1085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 9/30/08
Talking about by-election, What do you guys think of the government's decision of not holding a by-election for Jurong GRC after the death of MP Dr Ong Chit Chung.

This topic has little coverage over the media but i think its kind of a serious issue.

Before JBJ pass away, he had make a case in the High Court for a by-election to be held. But with him dying, I wonder what would happen to the case.
Member
2787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Perth, Western Au...
Offline
Posted 9/30/08

Hoy wrote:

Talking about by-election, What do you guys think of the government's decision of not holding a by-election for Jurong GRC after the death of MP Dr Ong Chit Chung.

This topic has little coverage over the media but i think its kind of a serious issue.

Before JBJ pass away, he had make a case in the High Court for a by-election to be held. But with him dying, I wonder what would happen to the case.


Probably covered up. I read about it this morning. Sad really..he's a very strong-willed man..
Member
20924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 9/30/08
JBJ favourite enemy, LKY!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.