First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Can an Asian based sitcom succeed in America?
8886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
○(ゝω •)○ Coming t...
Offline
Posted 9/18/08 , edited 9/18/08
In 1994, Margaret Cho starred in an Asian based sitcom, "All-American Girl" on ABC. But only after 1 season, the show was quickly cancelled due to low ratings. This fact got me thinking..."Why hasn't there been any other Asian based sitcom since then?," and "If an Asian based sitcom was to air, will it be successful?" Is America as a whole ready for an Asian based sitcom? I'm ready for some diversity on televison in America for 2008. But I think it will be hard for it to succeed. What do you think? (if there's already a thread on this topic, please just notify the moderators)

LEAVE ALL RACIST COMMENTS OUT!!! RACISM IS NOT PERMITTED ON CR!
1542 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22
Offline
Posted 9/18/08
any success story on this
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 9/18/08
it's 2008 now, not '94.... maybe it will....
27158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / 大迷宮
Offline
Posted 9/18/08
Americans already had enough entertainment and orignality.
Thus, making Asian Sitcoms in America get an average or low ratings due to Socialism and Culture... or let's say, Common Sense. -_-;
Well, I lol'd.
11066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / nJ
Offline
Posted 9/18/08
coz they are rascist..sike!~....

coz most people in america only thought asians as smart,,... and not funny at all...haha..just kidding......
2394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / The World God Onl...
Offline
Posted 9/18/08
why would a better race appreciate somthing inferior to them
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 9/18/08

valcrist890 wrote:

why would a better race appreciate somthing inferior to them


are you implying that only white people watch TV in the states?
Posted 9/18/08
It's clearly the audience. Truthfully, some Asian movies such as Il Mare had made a very successful American conversion. A few other movies such as the Shichinin no Samurai or the Seven Samurai was remade into the Magnificent Seven. So there are a couple of adaptations to the western world.

Also, there is a niche market for such things. I just got a great idea but require a lot of help. Why not make an Asian channel. You got BET so why not an Asian channel?!
4557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bermuda Triangle
Offline
Posted 9/18/08

vajmichael wrote:

Also, there is a niche market for such things. I just got a great idea but require a lot of help. Why not make an Asian channel. You got BET so why not an Asian channel?!


Good idea, since america is full of latinos, blacks, and whites. So why not a basic cable channel for asians? There actually are philippino channels you can have if you order them but they aren't part of basic cable. You should watch wowowee some time or any other philippino game show, they're hells of a lot better than american game shows like family feud.
2394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / The World God Onl...
Offline
Posted 9/18/08

h4x0rz wrote:


valcrist890 wrote:

why would a better race appreciate somthing inferior to them


are you implying that only white people watch TV in the states?


wow, others are considered people?
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 9/18/08

valcrist890 wrote:



Well, they aren't considered fail-trolls, that's for sure.
1531 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / The Vill
Offline
Posted 9/18/08
it will work only if the grls are hott
1141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / F / Seattle-ish
Offline
Posted 9/18/08
I don't see why not, I'd watch it if it was good, and I'm not asian. I think it's just about finding the people. I watch non-white shows, and would also love to see more diversity.

@ valcrist890 you're the type of person who makes all us white (I am assuming you're white) ppl look bad. Whether it was a joke or not, it's ignorant.
1453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 9/18/08
I don't think it'll work.

Most cultural references wouldn't carry across and it's not as popular to be into Asian entertainment as it is to be into say, African-American entertainment.

It's just the same as with Asian music.
3788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / from east africa-...
Offline
Posted 9/18/08

crunchypibb wrote:


vajmichael wrote:

Also, there is a niche market for such things. I just got a great idea but require a lot of help. Why not make an Asian channel. You got BET so why not an Asian channel?!


Good idea, since america is full of latinos, blacks, and whites. So why not a basic cable channel for asians? There actually are philippino channels you can have if you order them but they aren't part of basic cable. You should watch wowowee some time or any other philippino game show, they're hells of a lot better than american game shows like family feud.


good idea but it may not work because asians in america arent as much as blacks and latinos. but its a channel so maybe it wont be that hard.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.