First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Can an Asian based sitcom succeed in America?
1617 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M / TDOT
Offline
Posted 9/18/08
no. keep asian crap in asia
559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / California
Offline
Posted 9/18/08
Regardless if you had something with an Asian vein or a good sitcom with regular everything they'll all be like the guy above me. Only retarded people would watch the pure racist crap or the stupid dick joke shit like "Harold and Kumar." And you can be sure as hell they won't pick up any underlying ironies telling them to stop being racist motherfuckers, since they're retards.
1978 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Winterpeggers
Offline
Posted 9/18/08 , edited 9/18/08
maybe but their gonna stick with their sitcom formats
there too scared to try something new
even if there good
Posted 9/18/08
It's possible! Dude there's Asians in america don't forget that!
Posted 9/18/08
no for the same reason an american sitcom cant be a hit in asia no matter what ppl say i still think a person from a different race cant relate to problems another race might face on day to day routine
Posted 9/19/08

A_D_E25 wrote:

no for the same reason an american sitcom cant be a hit in asia no matter what ppl say i still think a person from a different race cant relate to problems another race might face on day to day routine


sex and the city is popular in asia, how do u explain that?
4902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Shah Alam, Selangor
Offline
Posted 9/19/08
Depends on the popularity, for example Phua Chu Kang, it was a biggest sitcom in Malaysia
2285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 9/19/08

phatom_who wrote:


A_D_E25 wrote:

no for the same reason an american sitcom cant be a hit in asia no matter what ppl say i still think a person from a different race cant relate to problems another race might face on day to day routine


sex and the city is popular in asia, how do u explain that?



because american media censor stuff that is produced on other continents unlike asian media where you can get american tv shows and music
2285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 9/19/08

Pirus wrote:

no. keep asian crap in asia




what are you doing here if you don't like asian shows?

Posted 9/19/08

AerialDeathFireStyle wrote:


nene817 wrote:

Of course. It all depends on the Asian support. Black sitcoms work because black people watch them. There's black television/media because black people strove to get it. The same with Latino media. If Asians put enough effort into getting good TV shows and other media and Asian citizens support it, then it'll work.


well it might succeed if they target the 'white' audience but other than that i dont see Asian-Americans showing too much interest


"If Asians put enough effort into getting good TV shows"? Darling girl, don't you know that Asian elders rarely allow their children to pursue their own goals in life? Instead, they shove the younger generation into a narrow alley-way consisting of only a few options.

Become a doctor, a lawyer, or start your own international corporation.

Wanting to become anything but the above listed and they wouldn't hesitate to hang shit over your head and make you feel immensely guilty and of course, an ungrateful child.

With that kind of lifestyle put into a television show, we can all foretell of its Epic Fail. No one finds it interesting because again, that is too stereotypical since that is what most others view Asians as. Hardworking people who have little to no social life and are constantly locked up in their rooms studying for a physics exam that is four months away. No doubt, there is a possibility of such a TV show being successful, however, the plot needs to be more realistic because every family has their terrible flaws. To bring those flaws up to light and use very little of the assumed behaviors for a source of fall back comedy -- I'm sure the better majority will find that to be refreshing and not corny. Screen writers who aspire to make an Asian sitcom in the highly dominated US broadcasting should look towards the first and second generation borns for inspiration since that is where all of the lulz come from.

12723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Malaysia the land...
Offline
Posted 9/19/08

valcrist890 wrote:

why would a better race appreciate somthing inferior to them


so u mean white people rule the world? what crap is that...don't be so racist
12723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Malaysia the land...
Offline
Posted 9/19/08

Fawwaz93 wrote:

Depends on the popularity, for example Phua Chu Kang, it was a biggest sitcom in Malaysia


That is bcoz Singapore is Malaysia's neighbour and they speak the same language...but I agree its based on the popularity
2285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 9/19/08
what about asian dramas lthat are on crunchyroll may be we can ask the tv networks to carry them with english subtitles
Posted 9/19/08
Considering most british shows that are brought over are dubbed or re-acted(see "the office") i doubt that an asian comedy would survive.
3788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / from east africa-...
Offline
Posted 9/19/08
You fail at using proper English grammar.

Hmm, looks like a simple spelling mistake, well I am a human being after all. But that's not the point I'm making here.
^
You're asking for criticism and ridicule if you make fun of people in terms of grammar or phonetics when - not only did you spell "grammar" incorrectly - you also used the word "actual" when the proper (hint) term should be... "proper." Also, you use the word "entire" instead of "whole"; not to mention if you say the "American" sentence, it sounds "whole". I think you mean to say, "I correctly spell out words and use proper grammar." I'm not entirely comfortable with someone insulting other people and using a train-wreck of a sentence to represent proper grammar; or English for that matter.

Anyway,
There used to be an Asian sitcom on primetime television back in the '90s. I forgot what it was called but it was okay for about 1-2 seasons then it stopped airing. They relied way too much on Asian jokes and stereotypes to be funny. Not to mention the directing and acting was subpar.

Oh ? "You're asking for criticism and ridicule if you make fun of people" Well now, I'm well aware of that, If someone decides to ridicule me, then fine, It'll just end up being a total forum war, which I'm perfectly fine with. It would be amusing to me anyway.

"I'm not entirely comfortable with someone insulting other people and using a train-wreck of a sentence to represent proper grammar" Well now, that is not my problem, now is it ? Go sulk in a corner if you want, I dont really give a damn about other peoples feelings anyway so, that is not my problem.



lol, that picture is too funny
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.