First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
What if God was a skeptic?
805 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / United States of...
Offline
Posted 9/20/08
Let's say God does exist, and there is only one God.
Let's say God is also a 'personal' God who intervenes in the universe. (ie. Abrahamic God)
Let's also say God actually cares whether we worship him or not.


Pascal's Wager states that it is better to believe in God because it is 'safer' to do so.

'If there is no God, believing or not believing in God will result in no long term adverse side effects. If there is a God, believing in God will result in infinite rewards, while not believing in God will result in infinite punishment.'

So Pascal's reasoning is that you should live out your life and believe in God.


However, that logic only works if God rewards faith. There is a common rebuttal - what if God rewards skepticism - that God disproves of faith, and rewards humans who questions his existence?

Essentially, what if God rewards people who value evidence over faith?

2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 9/20/08
Did Pascal forget about the approximately 4800 OTHER religions that could possibly be right?
Posted 9/20/08
You believe him yet you question his existence? What? Then if God rewards faith you'd be punished for questioning him.
757 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 9/21/08
Even if Pascal is right, you choose to believe in God because its a better bet?

You are right Einstein, God does not throw dice; We throw dice on God.


150479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Aboard the Hyperion
Offline
Posted 9/21/08
There are numerous accounts in the Bible that a person often rewarded does not necessarily believe (or even knows about) God. Yet in the end their good actions rewarded them. If there is a God, they would be rewarded accordingly. If there isn't, they don't have anything to lose either for that matter.
722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / canada
Offline
Posted 9/21/08

leviathan343 wrote:

Did Pascal forget about the approximately 4800 OTHER religions that could possibly be right?


the 4800(approx.) other religions you say. Do you how small that is compared to the amount of unofficial religions and possible religions if we look at how these people started religions u could have a new religion every time that someone got high(i know that some religions didnt start from this but alot of others did, using hallucinogens, eg. Native American Church, many druidic religions). Pascal was a smart person who thought a lot about how future generations and critics of that time would look at his theory, he took this in to account.
13123 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Coffee shops, Tea...
Offline
Posted 9/21/08
we aren't here.
24918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 9/21/08

kim_entangledjuvenile wrote:

we aren't here.


13123 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Coffee shops, Tea...
Offline
Posted 9/21/08

phame wrote:


kim_entangledjuvenile wrote:

we aren't here.




so help me god.
Posted 9/21/08
basically, if there is 'god', he will punish u for being clever.
2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 9/21/08

realdry wrote:


leviathan343 wrote:

Did Pascal forget about the approximately 4800 OTHER religions that could possibly be right?


the 4800(approx.) other religions you say. Do you how small that is compared to the amount of unofficial religions and possible religions if we look at how these people started religions u could have a new religion every time that someone got high(i know that some religions didnt start from this but alot of others did, using hallucinogens, eg. Native American Church, many druidic religions). Pascal was a smart person who thought a lot about how future generations and critics of that time would look at his theory, he took this in to account.


I...don't see your point.
Posted 9/21/08

cheestrings wrote:

basically, if there is 'god', he will punish u for being clever.


O________O ouch.


Reminds me of playing Star Ocean: Till the End of Time for PlayStation 2. lul
Posted 9/21/08

cheestrings wrote:


whatsome wrote:

Reminds me of playing Star Ocean: Till the End of Time for PlayStation 2. lul


huh?


majide?

MAJIDE?

maji de, dejima, maji dejima?!
722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / canada
Offline
Posted 9/21/08

leviathan343 wrote:


realdry wrote:


leviathan343 wrote:

Did Pascal forget about the approximately 4800 OTHER religions that could possibly be right?


the 4800(approx.) other religions you say. Do you how small that is compared to the amount of unofficial religions and possible religions if we look at how these people started religions u could have a new religion every time that someone got high(i know that some religions didnt start from this but alot of others did, using hallucinogens, eg. Native American Church, many druidic religions). Pascal was a smart person who thought a lot about how future generations and critics of that time would look at his theory, he took this in to account.


I...don't see your point.


bit sleepy atm but will answer. i thought u meant that pascal was wrong so im trying to say he has thought this through.*yawn* tell me if i am right or wrong and then ill reply later.
2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 9/21/08 , edited 9/21/08

realdry wrote:


bit sleepy atm but will answer. i thought u meant that pascal was wrong so im trying to say he has thought this through.*yawn* tell me if i am right or wrong and then ill reply later.


Pascal is wrong for two simple reasons.

1. The Christian God, Yahweh, Allah, Zoroaster, Thor, Zeus, Ra, and Susanoo are all different gods. Not to mention the hundreds of other religions that have died out throughout the history of the earth, and the hundreds yet to be born. Most of these religions have a zero-tolerance policy toward a belief in another deity. If Allah is the only true deity and you are still sacrificing to Vishnu, you're ****ed.
2. Most religions require adherence to traditions and mindsets as well as belief. So you could believe in a deity and still fail to reach a desirable afterlife because you didn't follow through 'the motions'.


Pascal didn't think it through, as shown by the two huge errors he fails to address in his wager (because he took an inherently biased assumption that it was either the Christian God or nothing; in reality it is [the set of all possible deities] vs. nothing).
And where do you live? It's 3:00 in the afternoon here.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.