First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply What weapon is better?
Posted 10/29/08
Out of the choices provided I would have to vote for a chain whip. It can be very versatile weapon in close quarters combat. Also if all else fails you could always use it to strangle your opponent.
Posted 10/30/08
Katana is my choise... Maybe Im wrong, but I think that katana can be quicker than claymore, and let no one on close distance to wielder unlike tessen...
Member
4095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Los Angeles, Cali...
Offline
Posted 10/30/08
i can't say any weapon is really better than another (although i have a hard time imagining a chain whip it battle), but my favorite of that list would be a katana, if only because my favorite weapon, the poleaxe, isn't on the list
Member
32393 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / SFC forums(under...
Offline
Posted 11/2/08
I would say the katana, quick and efficient.
Member
313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Hidden somewhere...
Offline
Posted 11/6/08 , edited 11/6/08
For me, there is no greater weapon than the person himself... Everything else is a tool... However, for me the best weapon of all that is created by mere mortals would be the Nihonto (Japanese Sword)...
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 11/7/08

johnnuico wrote:

For me, there is no greater weapon than the person himself... Everything else is a tool... However, for me the best weapon of all that is created by mere mortals would be the Nihonto (Japanese Sword)...


Hi there.
I would agree with your first statement, but I would point out that while the human body may be used as a weapon, it indeed is not a weapon as a weapon is defined as a tool designed to injure or kill.

And I was curious as why you think the nodachi is the greatest weapon. I am not too familiar with them, but I know they were not widely used as they were brittle and had many stress points and thus often broke. Perhaps you could teach me a bit more about them and why you deem them to be the greatest weapon.

Member
313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Hidden somewhere...
Offline
Posted 11/7/08

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


johnnuico wrote:

For me, there is no greater weapon than the person himself... Everything else is a tool... However, for me the best weapon of all that is created by mere mortals would be the Nihonto (Japanese Sword)...


Hi there.
I would agree with your first statement, but I would point out that while the human body may be used as a weapon, it indeed is not a weapon as a weapon is defined as a tool designed to injure or kill.

And I was curious as why you think the nodachi is the greatest weapon. I am not too familiar with them, but I know they were not widely used as they were brittle and had many stress points and thus often broke. Perhaps you could teach me a bit more about them and why you deem them to be the greatest weapon.



I never said I was interested in the nodachi alone. I was refering to the Nihonto. -Yes, the nodachi is cumbersome and unfortunately, it is also considered as a nihonto too... I specifically used the term Nihonto because it encompases a wide variety of Japanese Swords. It could be a Tachi (Traditional Jap sword in the 1400s), The Katana (The most popular of all nihonto), Kodachi (Not a dagger, yet not a sword), Wakizashi (Short sword), and the Tanto (Dagger)... All the Japanese swords are a work of art. However, I don't consider the swords that are patterned after the Chinese ones as a Nihonto.

To prove my point, here's a pic on Nihonto evolution. I'll try to find the link for that free excellent Ebook about Japanese swords. Until then, I'll just post this for now.


I'm sorry for saying just Nihonto earlier. I know its too broad. I should have just specified the Tachi or the Katana.

And oh yeah, before I forget. I had army training once (more like summer camp only harder and tougher...). But It was only for 2 months because it was for summer only. And the Commanding officer specifically told our group that "You are a weapon everything else is a tool..." I was refering to unarmed combat. Hehehe. Again, sorry for being too broad...
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 11/7/08

johnnuico wrote:

I never said I was interested in the nodachi alone. I was refering to the Nihonto. -Yes, the nodachi is cumbersome and unfortunately, it is also considered as a nihonto too... I specifically used the term Nihonto because it encompases a wide variety of Japanese Swords. It could be a Tachi (Traditional Jap sword in the 1400s), The Katana (The most popular of all nihonto), Kodachi (Not a dagger, yet not a sword), Wakizashi (Short sword), and the Tanto (Dagger)... All the Japanese swords are a work of art. However, I don't consider the swords that are patterned after the Chinese ones as a Nihonto.

To prove my point, here's a pic on Nihonto evolution. I'll try to find the link for that free excellent Ebook about Japanese swords. Until then, I'll just post this for now.


I'm sorry for saying just Nihonto earlier. I know its too broad. I should have just specified the Tachi or the Katana.

And oh yeah, before I forget. I had army training once (more like summer camp only harder and tougher...). But It was only for 2 months because it was for summer only. And the Commanding officer specifically told our group that "You are a weapon everything else is a tool..." I was refering to unarmed combat. Hehehe. Again, sorry for being too broad...


Oh I am sorry. I'm tired and I misread that. Someone was talking about nodachi for awhile and when I saw "nihonto" a Freudian slip happened.



Member
313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Hidden somewhere...
Offline
Posted 11/7/08
Oh, that's ok. We're only human. Hehehe.
Member
1427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / who knows..
Offline
Posted 11/11/08
i think katana are the best because it's simple, it's supposed to hold the "soul" of a samurai, and it's renowned for it's sharpness and cutting ability! they're just plain awesome!
Member
2760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Purgatory & Georgia
Offline
Posted 11/13/08
For all its worth i made my decision and I go with the claymore. I go with anything that is dual sided. When you ask which one is better I can only ask "based on what" when I really think about it. When you ask which one is more favourable to someone, I say the claymore to me. I have the perspective that katanas are very complex to deal with. And if I want to talk about the complex, dont get me started with that chain whip.
Member
189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 12/3/08
to me
the tessan is really an odd weapon
but none the less it is effective.. at close range
i would personally use the katana
strong and fast is a good combination
10410 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / F / Somewhere in the US
Offline
Posted 12/7/08
I don't like the options given.....I prefer something a little more authoritative like ICBM'S.
Member
27270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/12/08 , edited 12/12/08
In this list of weapons, I vote katana.

It is a fairly light piece of insanely sharp metal that can be moved very quickly. You don't need too much strength to cut effectively because it is so sharp. It only weighs a few pounds too. Also, it is a very balanced weapon that is easy to maneuver. In my opinion, it is perhaps the most well-designed sword ever created.

It moves much faster than the claymore, and has decent range too. The only problem is its high cost. I've yet to earn enough money to get mine repaired.

I would say shuriken only if it was sharpened and coated with poison.
Member
252 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Among the clouds.
Offline
Posted 12/29/08
Yes, katana is a very useful weapon, But, consider the factor that if you're a klutz, you would end up hurting yourself and not others. Different people have different taste. My ideal weapon is either tiny poison-coated acupuncture needles or a specially designed Nodachi with sharp lead as its blade. I'm not a brave idiot who charges into the battlefield, i prefer stealth.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.