First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply What weapon is better?
Posted 2/27/09
Say : how do we use the tessen ? (can it's be a fan too ?
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 2/27/09

Costin wrote:

Well im glad to be part of the group. I know that tessen can be very useful if used in the right place by the right person. I remember a story about how, Takeda Shingen managed to defend himself against Uesugi Kenshins blows with a tessen during the one of the Battles of Kawanakajima.
As far as i know ninja were spies, assasins and scouts etc. I know that ninja never had the stylized weapons that most people asociate to them, and that they were merely adapted from farm tools, because ninja were originally peasents, and acted like peasents untill they received a mission.


Ninja, or shinobi no mono, were spies. The jintompo, a historical record detailing the disciplines of the shinobi no mono, lists espionage, infiltration, and disguisery as the prime skills. There is no bujutsu listed. Besides, the majority of bujutsu [martial arts] was restricted to the bushi class and therefore the samurai. Many confuse shikaku [assassins] for ninja. Much of this is attributed to works of fiction that has been taken out of context and the memoirs of misinformed and misunderstood westerners.
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 2/27/09

Vol4 wrote:

Say : how do we use the tessen ? (can it's be a fan too ?


There are several kinds of tessen.
The most common is a solid iron bar resembling a folding fan.
Later on more elaborate fans with metal spines were created. Contrary as to how they are portrayed in works of fiction, it was never used opened like a blade, but rather closed as a truncheon.
Posted 2/27/09

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


Vol4 wrote:

Say : how do we use the tessen ? (can it's be a fan too ?


There are several kinds of tessen.
The most common is a solid iron bar resembling a folding fan.
Later on more elaborate fans with metal spines were created. Contrary as to how they are portrayed in works of fiction, it was never used opened like a blade, but rather closed as a truncheon.


They not break easily right ? Does it heavy when you carry it ? How can we use it as a weapon ?
Member
21379 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Timisoara/Romania
Offline
Posted 2/28/09
katana
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 2/28/09 , edited 2/28/09

Vol4 wrote:


Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


Vol4 wrote:

Say : how do we use the tessen ? (can it's be a fan too ?


There are several kinds of tessen.
The most common is a solid iron bar resembling a folding fan.
Later on more elaborate fans with metal spines were created. Contrary as to how they are portrayed in works of fiction, it was never used opened like a blade, but rather closed as a truncheon.


They not break easily right ? Does it heavy when you carry it ? How can we use it as a weapon ?


They are fairly heavy. Not cumbersome at all though.
Like I said, they are used like a truncheon or a club. There's many different ways to use it.

In one particular mutodori technique I learnt involves maintaining maai, staying just out of reach of the opponent, so then has to step in, raising his sword, to make the cut, then you hit him on the hand underneath the katana, then sidestep and hit the katana blade downwards, disarming it, then snapping the tessen across the face or neck of the opponent.

I would highly advice against trying this at home without extensive training. I've had nearly 7 years experience in both koryu jujutsu and iaijutsu and I didn't start learning mutodori until okuden level.
Posted 2/28/09

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


Vol4 wrote:


Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


Vol4 wrote:

Say : how do we use the tessen ? (can it's be a fan too ?


There are several kinds of tessen.
The most common is a solid iron bar resembling a folding fan.
Later on more elaborate fans with metal spines were created. Contrary as to how they are portrayed in works of fiction, it was never used opened like a blade, but rather closed as a truncheon.


They not break easily right ? Does it heavy when you carry it ? How can we use it as a weapon ?


They are fairly heavy. Not cumbersome at all though.
Like I said, they are used like a truncheon or a club. There's many different ways to use it.

In one particular mutodori technique I learnt involves maintaining maai, staying just out of reach of the opponent, so then has to step in, raising his sword, to make the cut, then you hit him on the hand underneath the katana, then sidestep and hit the katana blade downwards, disarming it, then snapping the tessen across the face or neck of the opponent.

I would highly advice against trying this at home without extensive training. I've had nearly 7 years experience in both koryu jujutsu and iaijutsu and I didn't start learning mutodori until okuden level.


Oh , so tessen is for close combat , I like close combat . Thank for the explaination !
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 2/28/09

Vol4 wrote:
Oh , so tessen is for close combat , I like close combat . Thank for the explaination !


Any time, mate.
Member
11391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 3/1/09
lol, this is an anime web site, katana is usually always going to win,
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 3/1/09

Ichigo-bankai wrote:

lol, this is an anime web site, katana is usually always going to win,


Actually this group is not all about anime. It's primarily reality-inclined, but the subject includes anything [even anime] related to wars, warriors, martial arts, weapons, or any related subject.

Member
8529 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/3/09
from the list i would use a Katana. since it has a nice range . what u guys takes on the tonfa? i read somewhere it able to stop any thing minus a sword
Member
27250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/3/09
I am actually a tonfa-user myself, though I do have a katana as well (I don't really use it though I've trained with it because it's much too common). I like the tonfas, but I prefer the ones without the ball-bearings that swivels the main bar for you. The ones without the ball bearings are more practical, more durable, and easier to control. The ones with ball-bearings are mostly for flashy displays where a lot of spinning is required. I don't like that.

Tonfas CAN stop swords. It can even break katanas. You aren't supposed to block the incoming blade directly, rather, you parry the flat of the blade to change its course, and you can use the other tonfa to bend or break the blade by hitting the center. It's probably better to attack the enemy's exposed body directly though. Tonfas don't have as much range, but they are excellent weapons nonetheless.
Member
11391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 3/3/09

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


Ichigo-bankai wrote:

lol, this is an anime web site, katana is usually always going to win,


Actually this group is not all about anime. It's primarily reality-inclined, but the subject includes anything [even anime] related to wars, warriors, martial arts, weapons, or any related subject.



i wasnt referring to the group, but the the site crunchyroll itself. and since anime/manga fans are attracted to this site, despite the diversity of people that join the group, they first joined the site, meaning that they are anime/manga biased.
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 3/3/09 , edited 3/9/09

Ichigo-bankai wrote:
i wasnt referring to the group, but the the site crunchyroll itself. and since anime/manga fans are attracted to this site, despite the diversity of people that join the group, they first joined the site, meaning that they are anime/manga biased.


Not exactly. This is a profile site that enables members to enjoy foreign media primarily from east Asia. Or maybe you haven't noticed that the main subjects list "Anime, Manga, Drama, Music." Plus there are sections for video games and car showcases.

Even if this was primarily anime/manga centered, that's still assuming quite a bit and I would fail to see how in any logical perspective this would make everyone on this site anime/manga biased.
Member
633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M / unknown
Offline
Posted 3/8/09
shin, knees elbow, fist and head
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.