First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Virginia Tech Shooting...your Thoughts?
13219 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / It be sleepy time...
Offline
Posted 4/16/07
Yeah since I live pretty close to tech, it hits pretty close to home for me. You guys have to realize though must places are not reporting it the original call to 911 was that a student had fallen out of their bed and gotten injured. This is the call at 7:26, so by the time the police arrived it was well after the EMS got there and realized it wasn't an accident but a shooting and questioned everyone to figure out what had happened that would have taken a least an hour and then campus officials would have had to had to be contacted and informed what had happened as well as clarify whether or not one of their students was the shooter and so on.

Even if they had made a alert you know about a eleven thousand students were arriving at the time that most of it had been cleared up enough for everyone to know what was going on. So if they had it would have just caused mass panic they were waiting for classes to start to make an official announcement because at that time they still thought it was going to be a single domestic incident.

Oh and yes the the shooter was Asian.


edit: keeping finding horrible spelling mistakes
6347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / SDF-1
Offline
Posted 4/16/07

Cordivine wrote:

Quote from Virginia Tech president Charles Steger: "We had no reason to suspect any other incident was going to occur."

Is it just me or is that a ridiculous take on the first incident? If you also had no reason to suspect any other incident wasn't going to occur, then assume the worst case and take all precautions. It makes me mad to think that there were two hours between incidents and yet the second one wasn't prevented.


Yea its like:

Ok kids the bad man is dead, back to class now.
1560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Netherlands
Offline
Posted 4/16/07

Jesterj you know who it is matt becuz i think i have a clue
2927 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/16/07
omg i can't belive that 2 people jumped out the window i hope that girl not dead
58645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Boston
Offline
Posted 4/16/07

Jesterj wrote:

Yeah since I live pretty close to tech, it hits pretty close to home for me. You guys have to realize though must places are not reporting it the original call to 911 was that a student had fallen out of their bed and gotten injured. This is the call at 7:26, so by the time the police arrived it was well after the EMS got there and realized it wasn't an accident but a shooting and questioned everyone to figure out what had happened that would have taken a least an hour and then campus officials would have had to had to be contacted and informed what had happened as well as clarify whether or not one of their students was the shooter and so on.

Even if they had made a alert you know about a eleven thousand students were arriving at the time that must of it had been cleared up enough for everyone to know what was going on. So if they had it would have just caused mass panic they were waiting for classes to start to make an official announcement because at that time they still thought it was going to be a single domestic incident.

Oh and yes the the shooter was Asian.


Mass panic > 30 additional students dead.

Having gone to college the vast majority of universities leave much to be desired security wise. Rent-a-cops armed with mace aren't going to stop a determined individual.
14311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / NewYork
Offline
Posted 4/16/07

Hopchow wrote:


Jesterj wrote:

Yeah since I live pretty close to tech, it hits pretty close to home for me. You guys have to realize though must places are not reporting it the original call to 911 was that a student had fallen out of their bed and gotten injured. This is the call at 7:26, so by the time the police arrived it was well after the EMS got there and realized it wasn't an accident but a shooting and questioned everyone to figure out what had happened that would have taken a least an hour and then campus officials would have had to had to be contacted and informed what had happened as well as clarify whether or not one of their students was the shooter and so on.

Even if they had made a alert you know about a eleven thousand students were arriving at the time that must of it had been cleared up enough for everyone to know what was going on. So if they had it would have just caused mass panic they were waiting for classes to start to make an official announcement because at that time they still thought it was going to be a single domestic incident.

Oh and yes the the shooter was Asian.


Mass panic > 30 additional students dead.

Having gone to college the vast majority of universities leave much to be desired security wise. Rent-a-cops armed with mace aren't going to stop a determined individual.


the question is what was his reasons behind this.
13219 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / It be sleepy time...
Offline
Posted 4/16/07

Hopchow wrote:


Jesterj wrote:

Yeah since I live pretty close to tech, it hits pretty close to home for me. You guys have to realize though must places are not reporting it the original call to 911 was that a student had fallen out of their bed and gotten injured. This is the call at 7:26, so by the time the police arrived it was well after the EMS got there and realized it wasn't an accident but a shooting and questioned everyone to figure out what had happened that would have taken a least an hour and then campus officials would have had to had to be contacted and informed what had happened as well as clarify whether or not one of their students was the shooter and so on.

Even if they had made a alert you know about a eleven thousand students were arriving at the time that must of it had been cleared up enough for everyone to know what was going on. So if they had it would have just caused mass panic they were waiting for classes to start to make an official announcement because at that time they still thought it was going to be a single domestic incident.

Oh and yes the the shooter was Asian.


Mass panic = better than 30 additional students dead.


you really can't say how many would have been killed in the panic, people might of ended up running towards the shooter. And if he was using two nines like must of the rumors seem to say he was. You can get fifteen bullet clips for nines, so he could easily unload to clips pergun so that is about sixty shots. Also it seems that the hall that most of the shooting took place in had been locked from the inside with chains, so it looks like the shooter may of had it planned out ahead of time.
26425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Virginia
Offline
Posted 4/16/07
this thing actually beat columbine in body count
im just happy tht i dont know anyone tht lives there
14311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / NewYork
Offline
Posted 4/16/07
And the fact they are saying he's Asian will this become a race thing.
58645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Boston
Offline
Posted 4/16/07
The point is they let students go to class knowing that not only had the school recently endured bomb threats, but they also had a school shooting on their hands. They should have instantly shut down the entire campus. There is no excuse for not doing so.
moomoo 
11576 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/16/07
bomb and shooting threats happen EVERYWHERE, and u cant expect everones lives to stop when it happens, the ones left alive have stuff to think about other than it
58645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Boston
Offline
Posted 4/16/07

moomoo wrote:

bomb and shooting threats happen EVERYWHERE, and u cant expect everones lives to stop when it happens, the ones left alive have stuff to think about other than it


THREATS happen everywhere yes. When coupled with an actual shooting you shut the damned places down simple period no logical argument against this don't even try.
moomoo 
11576 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/16/07
i agree with wa they did, a day and a hlaf or so, but some of u are saying its not enough. thats wat im saying is rediculous, people have lives that need living
Posted 4/16/07
you people dont relize that it was the same guy for both shootings and it was the same guy that called in the bomb threats
58645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Boston
Offline
Posted 4/16/07
^^ And the 30 people that died? Screw that you can interrupt 10,000 lives for half a day to save 30 deaths from happening. I don't really care how upset those 10,000 people are if it saves 30 lives. The school had plenty of warning signs before hand to warrant shutting down the campus when the initial bout of shooting occurred.

The second shooting occurred 2 HOURS later 2 mother freaking hours. Inexcusable absolutely wrong of them to not take instant and drastic action.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.