Remove this ad
First  Prev  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next  Last
Christianity a copy cat religion?
311522 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/27/09
i think im posting in a forum with lots of non-Christians..

anyway, i think the forum topic suffers wrong usage of word. COPYCAT is not the term.

the meaning of copycat is one that closely imitates or mimics another. Now, do Christians CLOSELY or EXACTLY imitate or mimic other religions? i dont think so.. There are some SIMILARITIES, but it is still not close enough to be a copycat..ü
17886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 6/27/09

leilockheart wrote:

i think im posting in a forum with lots of non-Christians..

anyway, i think the forum topic suffers wrong usage of word. COPYCAT is not the term.

the meaning of copycat is one that closely imitates or mimics another. Now, do Christians CLOSELY or EXACTLY imitate or mimic other religions? i dont think so.. There are some SIMILARITIES, but it is still not close enough to be a copycat..ü

wen 98% of the bible relates to pagan religions where only changed the names, than is Is closely Imitating other religions.
311522 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/27/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


leilockheart wrote:

i think im posting in a forum with lots of non-Christians..

anyway, i think the forum topic suffers wrong usage of word. COPYCAT is not the term.

the meaning of copycat is one that closely imitates or mimics another. Now, do Christians CLOSELY or EXACTLY imitate or mimic other religions? i dont think so.. There are some SIMILARITIES, but it is still not close enough to be a copycat..ü

wen 98% of the bible relates to pagan religions where only changed the names, than is Is closely Imitating other religions.

really? 98%? tsk..do you even know first the history and meaning of Paganism?
Buddy, i think you need to first study all the HISTORY of each religion before you can declare that one is a copycat.
But if you are just being subjective, then i understand.
17886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 6/27/09 , edited 6/27/09

leilockheart wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


leilockheart wrote:

i think im posting in a forum with lots of non-Christians..

anyway, i think the forum topic suffers wrong usage of word. COPYCAT is not the term.

the meaning of copycat is one that closely imitates or mimics another. Now, do Christians CLOSELY or EXACTLY imitate or mimic other religions? i dont think so.. There are some SIMILARITIES, but it is still not close enough to be a copycat..ü

wen 98% of the bible relates to pagan religions where only changed the names, than is Is closely Imitating other religions.

really? 98%? tsk..do you even know first the history and meaning of Paganism?
Buddy, i think you need to first study all the HISTORY of each religion before you can declare that one is a copycat.
But if you are just being subjective, then i understand.


Tisk tisk .. Look up the pagan religions than read up about there religions you find that a lot of what is in there religion is also found in Christians religion with only changing of there names.

Even Jesus most famus quotes are nothing more than copied quotes from other religions.
And 98% is the number I got from someone who did pick apart and compare the bible with other religions.

So The Anti-Pagan religion is in it self more or less a off shoot of more than one Pagan religion mix together. (I like to say its the Bastard child.) But so many people mite think that was rude.
311522 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/27/09
sorry to say, i cant trust your "mysterious source's" calculation of 98%.
In fact, i cant see any scholarly article which mentions Christians as copycats..
Like i found nothing?

you see. anyone can mention numbers, but where is the proof? where is the link? what book? where?
if you cant supply me any of the necessary sources i want, then your argument is futile.

i want a research study coming from a professional and not just an opinion coming from a non-Christian.

Bec. anyone can easily say negative things to a religion especially when he/she is not part of it.
17886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 6/27/09

leilockheart wrote:

sorry to say, i cant trust your "mysterious source's" calculation of 98%.
In fact, i cant see any scholarly article which mentions Christians as copycats..
Like i found nothing?

you see. anyone can mention numbers, but where is the proof? where is the link? what book? where?
if you cant supply me any of the necessary sources i want, then your argument is futile.

i want a research study coming from a professional and not just an opinion coming from a non-Christian.

Bec. anyone can say negative things to a religion especially when he/she is not part of it.



"Mithra" who was an ancient savior god of the Persians who has striking similarities to Jesus before Jesus was supposed to have been born.

Many early Christians celebrated Jesus' birthday on JAN-6. Armenian Christians still do. In Alexandria, in what is now Egypt, the birthday of their god-man, Aion, was also celebrated on JAN-6.
Christians and most Pagans eventually celebrated the birthday of their god-man on DEC-25.
According to an ancient Christian tradition, Christ died on MAR-23 and resurrected on MAR-25. These dates agree precisely with the death and resurrection of Attis.
Baptism was a principal ritual; it washed away a person's sins. In some rituals, Baptism was performed by sprinkling holy water on the believer; in others, the person was totally immersed.
The most important sacrament was a ritual meal of bread and wine which symbolize the god-man's body and blood. His followers were accused of engaging in cannibalism.
Early Christians initiated converts in March and April by baptism. Mithraism initiated their new members at this time as well.
Early Christians were naked when they were baptized. After immersion, they then put on white clothing and a crown. They carried a candle and walked in a procession to a basilica. Followers of Mithra were also baptized naked, put on white clothing and a crown, and walked in a procession to the temple. However, they carried torches.
At Pentecost, the followers of Jesus were recorded as speaking in tongues. At Trophonius and Delos, the Pagan priestesses also spoke in tongues: They appeared to speak in such a way that each person present heard her words in the observer's own language.
An inscription to Mithras reads: "He who will not eat of my body and drink of my blood, so that he will be made on with me and I with him, the same shall not know salvation." 1 In John 6:53-54, Jesus is said to have repeated this theme: "...Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day." (KJV)
The Bible records that Jesus was crucified between two thieves. One went to heaven and the other to hell. In the Mithras mysteries, a common image showed Mithras flanked by two torchbearers, one on either side. One held a torch pointed upwards, the other downwards. This symbolized ascent to heaven or descent to hell.
In Attis, a bull was slaughtered while on a perforated platform. The animal's blood flowed down over an initiate who stood in a pit under the platform. The believer was then considered to have been "born again." Poor people could only afford a sheep, and so were literally washed in the blood of the lamb. This practice was interpreted symbolically by Christians.
There were many additional points of similarity between Mithraism and Christianity. 2 St. Augustine even declared that the priests of Mithraism worshiped the same God as he did: Followers of both religions celebrated a ritual meal involving bread. It was called a missa in Latin or mass in English.
Both the Catholic church and Mithraism had a total of seven sacraments.
Epiphany, JAN-6, was originally the festival in which the followers of Mithra celebrated the visit of the Magi to their newborn god-man. The Christian Church took it over in the 9th century.



311522 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/27/09 , edited 6/27/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


leilockheart wrote:

sorry to say, i cant trust your "mysterious source's" calculation of 98%.
In fact, i cant see any scholarly article which mentions Christians as copycats..
Like i found nothing?

you see. anyone can mention numbers, but where is the proof? where is the link? what book? where?
if you cant supply me any of the necessary sources i want, then your argument is futile.

i want a research study coming from a professional and not just an opinion coming from a non-Christian.

Bec. anyone can say negative things to a religion especially when he/she is not part of it.






wow i must say you work hard! If what you say is true that Christians are copycats, then other religions as well?
i cant really compare and declare something bec. in the first place, i dont know VERY WELL Paganism.

and, uhmm.. im really uncertain if paganism is a religion. cause until now, there are debates happening and questioning whether paganism is a religion or not..so when you called Paganism a religion, that is quite questionable.

BTW, pagan refers to the people..right? like Christians, Hindus etc.

But I tell you, all that you had mentioned above are not the focus of Christian Religion. It's like those are less significant and VERY MINOR. And Christian religion only teaches the NEW TESTAMENT, not the old one. Because i have noticed that those you had mentioned mostly are from the OLD TESTAMENT if im not mistaken.

if Christian religion is a copycat then what can you say about this:

Paganism – How does it compare with Christianity?

These are the major differences, out of many:

* Biblical Christianity professes one God, where paganism often teaches many or no god.

* Biblical Christianity teaches that the Bible contains God’s words and message to mankind. It is infallible and inerrant. Paganism does not have one main religious text or set of beliefs to follow.

* Biblical Christianity teaches that Jesus, God’s Son, came to earth as a baby, died on the cross as an adult for the sin of the whole world, and rose to life again. Some pagans believe in Jesus as one of the gods, but do not put significance in Him as Christians do.

You see, that is how you compare. And not by the NAMES or events or whatsoever.
2092 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 7/2/09

leilockheart wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


leilockheart wrote:

sorry to say, i cant trust your "mysterious source's" calculation of 98%.
In fact, i cant see any scholarly article which mentions Christians as copycats..
Like i found nothing?

you see. anyone can mention numbers, but where is the proof? where is the link? what book? where?
if you cant supply me any of the necessary sources i want, then your argument is futile.

i want a research study coming from a professional and not just an opinion coming from a non-Christian.

Bec. anyone can say negative things to a religion especially when he/she is not part of it.






wow i must say you work hard! If what you say is true that Christians are copycats, then other religions as well?
i cant really compare and declare something bec. in the first place, i dont know VERY WELL Paganism.

and, uhmm.. im really uncertain if paganism is a religion. cause until now, there are debates happening and questioning whether paganism is a religion or not..so when you called Paganism a religion, that is quite questionable.

BTW, pagan refers to the people..right? like Christians, Hindus etc.

But I tell you, all that you had mentioned above are not the focus of Christian Religion. It's like those are less significant and VERY MINOR. And Christian religion only teaches the NEW TESTAMENT, not the old one. Because i have noticed that those you had mentioned mostly are from the OLD TESTAMENT if im not mistaken.

if Christian religion is a copycat then what can you say about this:

Paganism – How does it compare with Christianity?

These are the major differences, out of many:

* Biblical Christianity professes one God, where paganism often teaches many or no god.

* Biblical Christianity teaches that the Bible contains God’s words and message to mankind. It is infallible and inerrant. Paganism does not have one main religious text or set of beliefs to follow.

* Biblical Christianity teaches that Jesus, God’s Son, came to earth as a baby, died on the cross as an adult for the sin of the whole world, and rose to life again. Some pagans believe in Jesus as one of the gods, but do not put significance in Him as Christians do.

You see, that is how you compare. And not by the NAMES or events or whatsoever.


in a way you are right and in another you are wrong for the starter didnt state whether he was saying christianity wasnt a religion he was comparing i admit but he was really just stating that it is a copy of others and to that point he is right it is a copy of many others but also many other religions are copies you can call them since they share similar views and you are right also it does have its differences which makes it its own but it is undeniably based on others which mean it did copy some things not all and in the world there are many religions like this but they are different for they are hybrids of the past and present and as a great man once said everything is a copy of a copy but its still its own in a way but i.m.o whether hes right or wrong or even if youre right or wrong this shouldnt matter for people will continue to believe what they want how they want whether it is a copy or not and as long as they remain strong to their belief and as long as they are satisfied with their belief there isnt much of anything you or anyone can say to shake it and even if you do impact some; people will continue to do what they want not caring what someone says about their religion whether they use excuses or nonsense to remain faithful and looking at it from a philosophical view what he may say is negative in a way and it may not for he is mainly just trying to get his point out to others and i dont believe he is doing anything wrong such as saying dont believe in it even though he is stating his point in a peculiar manner and to some he looks like an asshole to others he is shining light on truth but to me i think many of you are causing unnecessary problems and for those who still argue i think there isnt much to say for he provides an enormous amount of evidence and support to say this does copy others but i think he is wrong in saying this is a complete copycat as others have said it is different in its own way so i say its not exactly a copycat i say its a hybrid religion something that has lots of things mixed together but still its different

i apologize for intruding on ur arguement or whatever but im really just saying its not a copy its a hybrid and that all who argue should just shut up for this isnt gonna change anything really

516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 9/8/09
Really it starts to annoy me how people accuse Christianity of everything all the time, like they have nothing better to do. I mean what's the point in all this. I am Christian, but I don't go around telling non-Christians that their religion is stupid and has no evidence to prove it's true.

As for the topic, somehow the thought of a bunch of random people that get a great idea of creating a religion and then die in all the terrible ways for something they know it's just their imagination, seem illogical and simpy laughable.
17886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 9/8/09 , edited 9/8/09

aurilcia wrote:

Really it starts to annoy me how people accuse Christianity of everything all the time, like they have nothing better to do. I mean what's the point in all this. I am Christian, but I don't go around telling non-Christians that their religion is stupid and has no evidence to prove it's true.

As for the topic, somehow the thought of a bunch of random people that get a great idea of creating a religion and then die in all the terrible ways for something they know it's just their imagination, seem illogical and simpy laughable.


That is how cults work... Think about it how many people die for there beliefs in cults even in modern times.
I can think of 100's of cases.
In the roman time Christianity was nothing more than a small colt, and we all know how dangerous cults are, there really good for brainwashing people.
516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 9/8/09
Yeah, but that's people that joined the cult, that are ready to die for it. If someone jus invented it and knew it was all false, I don't think that someone would die for a lie. I don't think anyone is stupid enough to die for it.
17886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 9/8/09

aurilcia wrote:

Yeah, but that's people that joined the cult, that are ready to die for it. If someone jus invented it and knew it was all false, I don't think that someone would die for a lie. I don't think anyone is stupid enough to die for it.


Really what about the 100's of cult leaders that would give there life just to be a muddier in there peoples eyes, Then here the sicko leaders that will poison his punch and everyone else and willingly die for his delusions he created.
Don't forget most leaders believe there own dribble even if they just made it up, they trick them self into believing it them selves.
4302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 9/9/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


aurilcia wrote:

Really it starts to annoy me how people accuse Christianity of everything all the time, like they have nothing better to do. I mean what's the point in all this. I am Christian, but I don't go around telling non-Christians that their religion is stupid and has no evidence to prove it's true.

As for the topic, somehow the thought of a bunch of random people that get a great idea of creating a religion and then die in all the terrible ways for something they know it's just their imagination, seem illogical and simpy laughable.


That is how cults work... Think about it how many people die for there beliefs in cults even in modern times.
I can think of 100's of cases.
In the roman time Christianity was nothing more than a small colt, and we all know how dangerous cults are, there really good for brainwashing people.


i have a few quesions for you, 1st of all, will christianity be a copy of a religion IF Jesus existed (since i know u dont believe in him)? would those thoeries still hold up?

2nd of all, if christianity is just a copy cat, on some philosophical level, does that mean that all religions worship the same god in different ways?

3rd of all, i have been doing research on this "brainwashing" term. i made a thread about it on the extended discussion 33 mins ago, its called "does brainwashing exists?" i want your thoughts and opinions on the term.

4th of all, can cults exists if brainwashing doesnt exists? if cults dont exists then, where does that leave the origin of Christianity? lets say it wasnt a cult, how would you explain the birth of the religion?

Now dont get me wrong, i have done research on this whole copy cat religion thing and Jesus exists thing ,ect. Much of what i found on yur theories rested on the thoery Jesus doesnt/never existed. Therefore Christianity is a cult and was created from parts of other cults.But if Jesus existed, the thoery seems to fall apart. peace over war
17886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 9/9/09

JJT2 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


aurilcia wrote:

Really it starts to annoy me how people accuse Christianity of everything all the time, like they have nothing better to do. I mean what's the point in all this. I am Christian, but I don't go around telling non-Christians that their religion is stupid and has no evidence to prove it's true.

As for the topic, somehow the thought of a bunch of random people that get a great idea of creating a religion and then die in all the terrible ways for something they know it's just their imagination, seem illogical and simpy laughable.


That is how cults work... Think about it how many people die for there beliefs in cults even in modern times.
I can think of 100's of cases.
In the roman time Christianity was nothing more than a small colt, and we all know how dangerous cults are, there really good for brainwashing people.


i have a few quesions for you, 1st of all, will christianity be a copy of a religion IF Jesus existed (since i know u dont believe in him)? would those thoeries still hold up?

2nd of all, if christianity is just a copy cat, on some philosophical level, does that mean that all religions worship the same god in different ways?

3rd of all, i have been doing research on this "brainwashing" term. i made a thread about it on the extended discussion 33 mins ago, its called "does brainwashing exists?" i want your thoughts and opinions on the term.

4th of all, can cults exists if brainwashing doesnt exists? if cults dont exists then, where does that leave the origin of Christianity? lets say it wasnt a cult, how would you explain the birth of the religion?

Now dont get me wrong, i have done research on this whole copy cat religion thing and Jesus exists thing ,ect. Much of what i found on yur theories rested on the thoery Jesus doesnt/never existed. Therefore Christianity is a cult and was created from parts of other cults.But if Jesus existed, the thoery seems to fall apart. peace over war


1. Yes because if there was a person name Jesus there does not change the fact that it was a small cult. So this Jesus person was good at doing tricks, I know people who have made lots of money conning others by healing the sick by touching them and speaking in tongs.
It would not be the only religion/cult where people believe there leader was a god.

2. The copy each other but change parts to more benefit there agenda. So in many ways yes there are a few religions that might be the worship of the same gods such as the Greeks and the Romans, by just changing there names. In most cases like that a single religion splits into two religions and so those two religion start changing over time. Usually the split happens because one side wants to be able to sleep with there sisters, and the other does not. What I am getting at is difference in Ideals. That always trickles into religion.

3. Brainwashing is in my opinion the implanting of ideals into someones mind. Usually at a young impressionable age.
Math, Science, History, English. Is not an Ideal, But forcing people to think like you do is forcing your Ideals onto them and that is brainwashing.

4. All religions today started out as a cult.. Religion is a cult. No way around that it just wen the majority of the people start to accept a cult that it is more well known as a religion instead of a cult.


your turn,
1. Is there any historical evidence that Jesus was a real person other than the bible?

2. Can you explain if everyone that came before Christianity went to hell or not? We know man has been living and building civilizations for more than 9000 years before even the single god idea came about.

3. Do you think its right to force religious ideals onto a child before there minds are developed enough to rationalize and make up there own minds about the religion?

4. Do you believe in Aliens? Why Or Why not?
4302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 9/9/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


aurilcia wrote:

Really it starts to annoy me how people accuse Christianity of everything all the time, like they have nothing better to do. I mean what's the point in all this. I am Christian, but I don't go around telling non-Christians that their religion is stupid and has no evidence to prove it's true.

As for the topic, somehow the thought of a bunch of random people that get a great idea of creating a religion and then die in all the terrible ways for something they know it's just their imagination, seem illogical and simpy laughable.


That is how cults work... Think about it how many people die for there beliefs in cults even in modern times.
I can think of 100's of cases.
In the roman time Christianity was nothing more than a small colt, and we all know how dangerous cults are, there really good for brainwashing people.


i have a few quesions for you, 1st of all, will christianity be a copy of a religion IF Jesus existed (since i know u dont believe in him)? would those thoeries still hold up?

2nd of all, if christianity is just a copy cat, on some philosophical level, does that mean that all religions worship the same god in different ways?

3rd of all, i have been doing research on this "brainwashing" term. i made a thread about it on the extended discussion 33 mins ago, its called "does brainwashing exists?" i want your thoughts and opinions on the term.

4th of all, can cults exists if brainwashing doesnt exists? if cults dont exists then, where does that leave the origin of Christianity? lets say it wasnt a cult, how would you explain the birth of the religion?

Now dont get me wrong, i have done research on this whole copy cat religion thing and Jesus exists thing ,ect. Much of what i found on yur theories rested on the thoery Jesus doesnt/never existed. Therefore Christianity is a cult and was created from parts of other cults.But if Jesus existed, the thoery seems to fall apart. peace over war


1. Yes because if there was a person name Jesus there does not change the fact that it was a small cult. So this Jesus person was good at doing tricks, I know people who have made lots of money conning others by healing the sick by touching them and speaking in tongs.
It would not be the only religion/cult where people believe there leader was a god.

2. The copy each other but change parts to more benefit there agenda. So in many ways yes there are a few religions that might be the worship of the same gods such as the Greeks and the Romans, by just changing there names. In most cases like that a single religion splits into two religions and so those two religion start changing over time. Usually the split happens because one side wants to be able to sleep with there sisters, and the other does not. What I am getting at is difference in Ideals. That always trickles into religion.

3. Brainwashing is in my opinion the implanting of ideals into someones mind. Usually at a young impressionable age.
Math, Science, History, English. Is not an Ideal, But forcing people to think like you do is forcing your Ideals onto them and that is brainwashing.

4. All religions today started out as a cult.. Religion is a cult. No way around that it just wen the majority of the people start to accept a cult that it is more well known as a religion instead of a cult.


your turn,
1. Is there any historical evidence that Jesus was a real person other than the bible?

2. Can you explain if everyone that came before Christianity went to hell or not? We know man has been living and building civilizations for more than 9000 years before even the single god idea came about.

3. Do you think its right to force religious ideals onto a child before there minds are developed enough to rationalize and make up there own minds about the religion?

4. Do you believe in Aliens? Why Or Why not?


1. yea there is, we debated this a while ago in the Jesus thread. I think it was u who said that same evidence could be interpreted either way.

2.i couldnt and wouldnt explain that, thats something u have to ask God.

3.a child's mind doesnt rationalize until about 21 yrs old... the parents have to either pass on thier knowledge to the children at an early age, or let the media/environment do it. if it is wrong, it doesnt matter, it's the only way it can happen.Same thing with political beliefs.
There r 2 threads on this very concept. check out "brainwashing kids" and "does brainwashing exists?" both r in the extended discussion page.

4. there exists the possibiliy of aliens. the universe is a big place...the absense of evidence is not the evidence of absence

btw, please explain to me what a cult is. i did my research on brainwashing, but the cult thing must be tied to brainwashing. If i can prove brainwashing doesnt exists, then wouldnt that prove that cults r just imaginary as well? peace over war



First  Prev  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.