First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
It's TIME to stop thinking about US and more about THEM
13258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / O.C. So.Cal
Offline
Posted 11/3/08
O my God when I saw the first picture I thought it was a toy model of an alien like ET or something. My God this kinda makes me feel guilty I mean Cmon America, spending Billions on war, and those rich ass bastards on wall street who spent $440k on a party in one night because they got millions of dollars from the government

i feel sad. i want to donate some of my money
6598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Colorado
Offline
Posted 11/3/08
We can't help others if we can't help ourselves first.
We also can't help them if majority of the population aren't even aware of the miserable predicaments that those people are into.
1034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / new york
Offline
Posted 11/6/08

geeene_16 wrote:

We can't help others if we can't help ourselves first.
We also can't help them if majority of the population aren't even aware of the miserable predicaments that those people are into.


i dont know where you live? but anyone who lives in america CAN HELP THEMSELVES so enough of the b.s about how we cant do this and we cant do that! like i said people are just lazy there are tons of things we as indivisuals can do to make money! so enough of this we cant crap because its getting old!!! there are bums who become buisness people and millionaires so i dont want to hear the nonsense!!!


1809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34
Offline
Posted 11/6/08

diazragu08 wrote:


geeene_16 wrote:

We can't help others if we can't help ourselves first.
We also can't help them if majority of the population aren't even aware of the miserable predicaments that those people are into.


i dont know where you live? but anyone who lives in america CAN HELP THEMSELVES so enough of the b.s about how we cant do this and we cant do that! like i said people are just lazy there are tons of things we as indivisuals can do to make money! so enough of this we cant crap because its getting old!!! there are bums who become buisness people and millionaires so i dont want to hear the nonsense!!!





thats crap. im not sure where you live but where i do its almost impossable to get a job and even when u do some how manage to get one its a crappy low paying one. Its barly enough to keep a roof over your head and food in the fridge more less send money to some 3rd world country.

6598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Colorado
Offline
Posted 11/6/08

diazragu08 wrote:


geeene_16 wrote:

We can't help others if we can't help ourselves first.
We also can't help them if majority of the population aren't even aware of the miserable predicaments that those people are into.


i dont know where you live? but anyone who lives in america CAN HELP THEMSELVES so enough of the b.s about how we cant do this and we cant do that! like i said people are just lazy there are tons of things we as indivisuals can do to make money! so enough of this we cant crap because its getting old!!! there are bums who become buisness people and millionaires so i dont want to hear the nonsense!!!




Even if you live in America, or whatever first world country, would you actually help other people you don't know before you help your family? Pleeease. Let's be realistic here. People are too lazy? Ha. We live in an almost capitalistic world... rich people control everything. Business is a battle. Spare me your blind optimisms, and face reality. You saying it's nonsense is nonsense. Do you really believe you can help others, make a difference, make an impact, if YOU don't help YOURSELF first?
3498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Nowheresville, MI
Offline
Posted 11/8/08

wrote:



Yes our economy is very bad and the stock market has lately plunged and everyone is about to die! Stop it. Think and breath. We are not the ones that are in the crisis others are in BIGGER one then us. I think it's time to set our money aside. And look around the world. We are not the only ones that are feeling the pain... there are more too.

Imagine those from third world countries and how there dollar an hour is now being reduced to fifty cents. We have to got to think of others. We have got to think USA and many more places are only worried about themselves but none one is taking time to worry about others.

Why is that? Why doesn't anybody care for those who are homeless and dying? Why are we only looking at ourselves. Now that the holidays are coming up all we do is take out our money and buy. That money that you are about to give to stores could go to places which are useful. They could go to sponser a child. They could even go to missionary camps.

So stop worrying about your being and start worrying for the REAL people with the REAL issues.
Alexandra E.






That's alot of compeling figures. I see what you're trying to say, but we've been shoveling piles of money at our own poverty issues for decades and what has it accomplished? Why do you think it would work on global level? It'd probably be a wasted effort anyways, because the controling warlords, dictators, or whatever who run these countries would just use it for themselves . I think the way to fix this problem is through education, here and abroad. How would this be done? F**k if I know. I can barely keep my own life in order.....................

571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 11/8/08
For the record, I certainly don't deny the importance of donating to the needy, I'm just playing devil's advocate:
1. Human beings, as a general statement, do not and cannot care about every other human being on the planet. It's simply impractical. Compassion is directly influenced by closeness - this isn't always geographical closeness, it could be that a certain issue is emotionally closer to you because someone close to you is affected by it. You can't fix every problem in the world.
2. If I were to donate 1 million dollars to poor people in an arbitrary country, what effect would that have? Assuming, of course, that all of that money went directly where it was supposed to, maybe it could feed many people or cure many diseases. But after a certain amount of time, the money would run out. The people would be starving and disease-ridden once again. So, what would that money have accomplished? It would have provided a temporary fix to the problem. That, of course, is tremendously helpful, but if you want to truly fix the problem, you need to go to the source. For example, if you had a child who was physically bullied in school every day, which would be more effective: treating the cuts and bruises or confronting the bully?
3. Does that pushy, borderline arrogant attitude work on anyone? People don't find that inspiring, they find it obnoxious. As for anyone here assuming the same attitude, it would seem that you own a computer. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to sell your computer and give that money to the poor? If you're renting a computer, you could instead give that money to the poor. If you're using a computer that you neither own nor pay money to use, you could still make better use of your time by helping the poor than by arguing your point of view online.
571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 11/8/08

diazragu08 wrote:


geeene_16 wrote:

We can't help others if we can't help ourselves first.
We also can't help them if majority of the population aren't even aware of the miserable predicaments that those people are into.


i dont know where you live? but anyone who lives in america CAN HELP THEMSELVES so enough of the b.s about how we cant do this and we cant do that! like i said people are just lazy there are tons of things we as indivisuals can do to make money! so enough of this we cant crap because its getting old!!! there are bums who become buisness people and millionaires so i dont want to hear the nonsense!!!




I think you should read the book "Nickel and Dimed". I realize this is tremendously hard for you to accept, but poverty does exist in America, too. However, to some extent you're right. There are many people who can help but don't because they're lazy/selfish/insert excuse here. On the other hand, as I just said, poverty does exist in America and some people here have enough to worry about feeding their own families. And if you mean to imply by that last comment that anyone can become a millionaire, then your perspective on this issue is unrealistically optimistic.
1034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / new york
Offline
Posted 11/8/08

madlibbs wrote:


diazragu08 wrote:


geeene_16 wrote:

We can't help others if we can't help ourselves first.
We also can't help them if majority of the population aren't even aware of the miserable predicaments that those people are into.


i dont know where you live? but anyone who lives in america CAN HELP THEMSELVES so enough of the b.s about how we cant do this and we cant do that! like i said people are just lazy there are tons of things we as indivisuals can do to make money! so enough of this we cant crap because its getting old!!! there are bums who become buisness people and millionaires so i dont want to hear the nonsense!!!




I think you should read the book "Nickel and Dimed". I realize this is tremendously hard for you to accept, but poverty does exist in America, too. However, to some extent you're right. There are many people who can help but don't because they're lazy/selfish/insert excuse here. On the other hand, as I just said, poverty does exist in America and some people here have enough to worry about feeding their own families. And if you mean to imply by that last comment that anyone can become a millionaire, then your perspective on this issue is unrealistically optimistic.


now you just twisted that and made me sound as though im saying everyone can become rich im saying that any can be successfull
i honestly dont know what to say because evrybodies like poverty exists here and you live in some fanatasy world. i was taught that with education determination motatvation and dedication could get you anywhere now am i wrong im saying that we live in a country that has opportunities and any foreigner that came here from nothing and succeeded can tell you that. but is it that hard to find resourches and help that you live in poverty? thats what im not understanding and if everyone on this site can answer that question realisticaly
then i wouldnt keep saying we live in america blah blah blah

570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
104 / M
Offline
Posted 11/9/08
Wut the fuck? Share or keep $ for yourself! Your choice dumbass! Natural selection will see to it that the poor shitty Africans die because they are too stupid and keep giving each other HIV.
2704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Trinidad and Tobago
Offline
Posted 11/9/08

Cuddlebuns wrote:

But if I start donating money now, I won't be able to get my 6th iPhone. I think that's a little more important right now.


wtf....please tell me that was sarcasm
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 11/9/08

darkskinempress wrote:


Cuddlebuns wrote:

But if I start donating money now, I won't be able to get my 6th iPhone. I think that's a little more important right now.


wtf....please tell me that was sarcasm


It was. I only have 3 iPhones.
30712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / Where the Wild Th...
Offline
Posted 11/9/08

drizza wrote:

Where in the hell is the money even going to come from to support them? The USA is broke it would be stupid to suggest our government to keep sending Aid to these other countries. It is hard for us to make a living as it is as our economy goes down and the dollar that keeps declining but your telling us to send money overseas? I know this sounds very selfish but untill the USA can become a boilstering economy right now we have to take care of our own first because we are in bad shape right now.



Well you NEED to send a huge amount of money, I mean really. The people who send they money don't really care that much anyways, they just want to look good and don't really finish the job or do it well. So, why not just send people and supplies. I'm sure if a lotta people got off their lazy asses we could ACTUALLY make a difference.

" It is hard for us to make a living as it is as our economy goes down and the dollar that keeps declining but your telling us to send money overseas?"

If you think about it, it's A LOT harder for them to make a living.
You could get a part time job and make LOADS more money working for only a month
then they can working for a lifetime.
571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 11/9/08

diazragu08 wrote:


madlibbs wrote:


diazragu08 wrote:


geeene_16 wrote:

We can't help others if we can't help ourselves first.
We also can't help them if majority of the population aren't even aware of the miserable predicaments that those people are into.


i dont know where you live? but anyone who lives in america CAN HELP THEMSELVES so enough of the b.s about how we cant do this and we cant do that! like i said people are just lazy there are tons of things we as indivisuals can do to make money! so enough of this we cant crap because its getting old!!! there are bums who become buisness people and millionaires so i dont want to hear the nonsense!!!




I think you should read the book "Nickel and Dimed". I realize this is tremendously hard for you to accept, but poverty does exist in America, too. However, to some extent you're right. There are many people who can help but don't because they're lazy/selfish/insert excuse here. On the other hand, as I just said, poverty does exist in America and some people here have enough to worry about feeding their own families. And if you mean to imply by that last comment that anyone can become a millionaire, then your perspective on this issue is unrealistically optimistic.


now you just twisted that and made me sound as though im saying everyone can become rich im saying that any can be successfull
i honestly dont know what to say because evrybodies like poverty exists here and you live in some fanatasy world. i was taught that with education determination motatvation and dedication could get you anywhere now am i wrong im saying that we live in a country that has opportunities and any foreigner that came here from nothing and succeeded can tell you that. but is it that hard to find resourches and help that you live in poverty? thats what im not understanding and if everyone on this site can answer that question realisticaly
then i wouldnt keep saying we live in america blah blah blah



To some extent you're right. The US offers many opportunities to many people that they may not have had in other countries. In many cases, you can become at least moderately successful if you're willing to put in the effort to do so. However, within America there is also poverty. There are people who work as hard as they can at multiple jobs, hoping that they can make just enough money to feed themselves and their families. For this class of people, resources are limited at best. They can't get better jobs because they don't qualify for them because they need more education, which they can't get because they have neither the money nor the time. These are the people who are poor, not because they are unmotivated, but because they can't break out of the cycle. These are the people that we need to take care of before we can take care of the poor in other countries.
3066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M
Offline
Posted 11/9/08 , edited 11/9/08
Poverty exists everywhere in the world whether it's relative poverty or absolute poverty. Why does poverty exist today? It all goes back to history up to today. Prior to when colonization was frowned upon, many nations invaded other territories to "spread democracy and the American way of life". Translation for that was simply exploit the foreign resources and its people for dirt cheap labor. Times have changed, but neocolonialism still exists today. The wealthiest industries, which have the collective power to fix world poverty, isn't interested in helping areas that yield no profit or income return. Capitalism is competitive; meaning that if one company decides to donate 2-4 million dollars (which isn't enough) to help establish the poor nations, that company will fall behind in comparison to its competitors. It's highly likely that sooner or later, that company will become bankrupt due to not being able to stay on an even playing level.

In the case that we can put a poverty stricken nation up into a developed nation, they'll still fall behind because of the massive powers of the other global multinational companies.

On contrary to what people think, USA isn't the only country responsible for this, nor should they be the only country to fix it. Sure, there's many wealthy nations that are part of the UN and so called "support" the UNICEF and other crap like that, but in truth, the wealthy of these nations hold most of the money. In other words, if the wealthy nations don't want to do anything, these committees are worthless.

So yeah, advocating for no poverty is admirable and all, but it's futile and foolish. You're targeting the wrong people.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.