First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
Is hollywood racist again for making goku white?
4201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Heaven and Hell
Offline
Posted 10/23/08 , edited 10/23/08

smegmatic wrote:

its a freakin live action dbz movie.. thats just wrong freakin wrong in itself. and how is hollywood racist just because they chose a white person to play goku? hello? asian supporting actors/actresses? doesnt look racists to me, just makes you look like you hate white people


lol asian supporting actors/actresses? of all roles why does the most important has to be white again.sorry but I can't help but see that as an excuse.Most people will focusing on goku the don't focus on supporting actor or actress.You forgot piccolo is also a white too lol
30 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 10/23/08
Man white people can't even see their own racism because it's so internalized , You can't say "it's an american movie of course they're gonna cast white actors" and compare it to HYD in korea and japan. Koreans are korean and japanese are japanese, however white does not equal American.You people who keep saying that it's an American movie therefore white actors just make the assumption that only white people are american. Which is grossly racist and inaccurate because if it really wanted to be american you should cast Native American indians. Its pointless to even argue against you people because you are soooooo racist in your subconscious that you can't even really look at it the way it really is...and yet they cast asian in the supporting roles another and chichi is asian too. it's just another way to imply that asian women are romantically and sexually available to white men and asian men are inferior forever cursed to be the background, and yes Goku is and alien but that doesn't default him as white and Goku is a japanese name why dont they change his name
1644 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Planet Novus: Any...
Offline
Posted 10/23/08 , edited 10/23/08
Whats with this thread about.. Of course they'll use their own actors if they are going to make a remake.. Let's take for example you are a Japanese and your country remakes SMALLVILLE will you use Americans to act in your remakes.. Was this really a racist? Although I dont like GOKU to be white I think its not right to say racist to them just because they use their own actors..

163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / F / My Indian Reserva...
Offline
Posted 10/23/08
As a First American Indian, I see your point with the ethinicity issues; we, had Italian or even Caucasian actor's (with bad make-up) protraying us. Even though I am Southern Paiute Indian and German Descent (yes, being half white); I associate my race as Native American Indian.

As for Dragon Ball Z, I always seen Goku and other's as light Asian's (some Asian's are fair skinned, but they are full blooded Asian's). Just know, not all American's are white, and have narrow minded views. We are a very young country, so we are very immature. Sorry for their ignorance.

I believe Goku should have been an Asian actor.
9860 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Living in the US...
Offline
Posted 10/23/08 , edited 10/23/08
i hate the fact how they make an asian movie
they have every other cast member asian but
except the main character. like wtf is up with
that??!!!

like take for an example, The Forbidden Kingdom
and now this? oh dear gaawd!!
173 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M / at yo window with...
Offline
Posted 10/23/08

Eugene2814 wrote:

Man white people can't even see their own racism because it's so internalized , You can't say "it's an american movie of course they're gonna cast white actors" and compare it to HYD in korea and japan. Koreans are korean and japanese are japanese, however white does not equal American.You people who keep saying that it's an American movie therefore white actors just make the assumption that only white people are american. Which is grossly racist and inaccurate because if it really wanted to be american you should cast Native American indians. Its pointless to even argue against you people because you are soooooo racist in your subconscious that you can't even really look at it the way it really is...and yet they cast asian in the supporting roles another and chichi is asian too. it's just another way to imply that asian women are romantically and sexually available to white men and asian men are inferior forever cursed to be the background, and yes Goku is and alien but that doesn't default him as white and Goku is a japanese name why dont they change his name


hahaha... damn, tired of seeing asian girls with white guys? can you see your own racism? cuz i can see it in your post.
551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F
Offline
Posted 10/23/08

merlose wrote:


cyphk999 wrote:


it's hollywood of course they have to make adaptations and some changes to fit and cater to their viewers otherwise what's the point of redoing it at all, with the remake of hana kimi in taiwan do you expect them to cast japanese actors hehehe.. i think it's more racist to claim unfounded discriminations - to claim what is for asians and what is not.. this is a borderless world anyway, it's been years since the asian entertainment industry borrow ideas from hollywood now it's the other way around - so i interpret this as a compliment to asian writers and moviemakers instead..


Umm your point also shows a very good reason why asians never make it big in america.



hahaha funny now you are saying asians would never make it big in america??now who is downplaying who?? with all due respect to the asian entertainment - asian movies is now starting to make it big in america... remember - the ring, the grudge, the eye ( japan) , shutter (thailand), the echo (philippines).. these are just a few of the movies that was remade by hollywood - which made a lot of people around the globe be interested in asian films and made them more interested in watching the original version and other films from these countries as well.. i never watched japanese movies, never been seen and heard until all the hollywood hype eh...

now in terms of singing, asians are starting to make it big too - let me introduce you to charice pempengco huh?!? in the world of boxing - manny paquio huh?!?.. jackie chan, jet li huh?!? dancing -philippine all stars huh?!?

if making it big in america means an asian should be playing this character whatever - then why did hollywood movies made it big in asia huh?!? you mean spiderman should be asian as well in order to penetrate the asian market huh?!?

if people in america would think the way you do ? they would have just shut their door to anything asian and vice versa..
551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F
Offline
Posted 10/23/08

badfishnat17 wrote:


cyphk999 wrote:


it's hollywood of course they have to make adaptations and some changes to fit and cater to their viewers otherwise what's the point of redoing it at all, with the remake of hana kimi in taiwan do you expect them to cast japanese actors hehehe.. i think it's more racist to claim unfounded discriminations - to claim what is for asians and what is not.. this is a borderless world anyway, it's been years since the asian entertainment industry borrow ideas from hollywood now it's the other way around - so i interpret this as a compliment to asian writers and moviemakers instead..


thank you. ur exactly right.


i've read your comment as well, you are so right too...
173 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M / at yo window with...
Offline
Posted 10/23/08 , edited 10/23/08

merlose wrote:


smegmatic wrote:

its a freakin live action dbz movie.. thats just wrong freakin wrong in itself. and how is hollywood racist just because they chose a white person to play goku? hello? asian supporting actors/actresses? doesnt look racists to me, just makes you look like you hate white people


lol asian supporting actors/actresses? of all roles why does the most important has to be white again.sorry but I can't help but see that as an excuse.Most people will focusing on goku the don't focus on supporting actor or actress.You forgot piccolo is also a white too lol


just cuz a white guy was cast as the leading role doesnt make the whole industry racist. and if they were racist, they wouldnt cast other ethnicities in teh movie now, would they? and i can care less if piccalo is played by a white guy. for all i care he could be played by cheech or chong. movie is still gonna be terrible wether goku was played by a white, asain, black, whatever. shouldnt be live action to start with.
4201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Heaven and Hell
Offline
Posted 10/23/08 , edited 10/23/08

smegmatic wrote:


Eugene2814 wrote:

Man white people can't even see their own racism because it's so internalized , You can't say "it's an american movie of course they're gonna cast white actors" and compare it to HYD in korea and japan. Koreans are korean and japanese are japanese, however white does not equal American.You people who keep saying that it's an American movie therefore white actors just make the assumption that only white people are american. Which is grossly racist and inaccurate because if it really wanted to be american you should cast Native American indians. Its pointless to even argue against you people because you are soooooo racist in your subconscious that you can't even really look at it the way it really is...and yet they cast asian in the supporting roles another and chichi is asian too. it's just another way to imply that asian women are romantically and sexually available to white men and asian men are inferior forever cursed to be the background, and yes Goku is and alien but that doesn't default him as white and Goku is a japanese name why dont they change his name


hahaha... damn, tired of seeing asian girls with white guys? can you see your own racism? cuz i can see it in your post.


Actually I think it's starting to make more sense than ever.You can say there are many reasons behind this movie.first is about the money,second is about being american(or white) and third reason is to promote asian girls and white guys.The media is a poweful weapon.Like for example look how all iraqs are now seen as terrorits.You see a lot of asian girls and white guys in movies and in the media but the never the other way around.


edit:btw there are a lot of asian guys and white girls couples here but none of them ever get acknoledge by the media.Isn't that bit weird?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrtzZSrxRcY
4201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Heaven and Hell
Offline
Posted 10/23/08

cyphk999 wrote:


merlose wrote:


cyphk999 wrote:


it's hollywood of course they have to make adaptations and some changes to fit and cater to their viewers otherwise what's the point of redoing it at all, with the remake of hana kimi in taiwan do you expect them to cast japanese actors hehehe.. i think it's more racist to claim unfounded discriminations - to claim what is for asians and what is not.. this is a borderless world anyway, it's been years since the asian entertainment industry borrow ideas from hollywood now it's the other way around - so i interpret this as a compliment to asian writers and moviemakers instead..


Umm your point also shows a very good reason why asians never make it big in america.



hahaha funny now you are saying asians would never make it big in america??now who is downplaying who?? with all due respect to the asian entertainment - asian movies is now starting to make it big in america... remember - the ring, the grudge, the eye ( japan) , shutter (thailand), the echo (philippines).. these are just a few of the movies that was remade by hollywood - which made a lot of people around the globe be interested in asian films and made them more interested in watching the original version and other films from these countries as well.. i never watched japanese movies, never been seen and heard until all the hollywood hype eh...

now in terms of singing, asians are starting to make it big too - let me introduce you to charice pempengco huh?!? in the world of boxing - manny paquio huh?!?.. jackie chan, jet li huh?!? dancing -philippine all stars huh?!?

if making it big in america means an asian should be playing this character whatever - then why did hollywood movies made it big in asia huh?!? you mean spiderman should be asian as well in order to penetrate the asian market huh?!?

if people in america would think the way you do ? they would have just shut their door to anything asian and vice versa..


Yeah,but old guys like jackie chan and jet li are not exactly sex symbols.I think eugene is right to an extend there needs to be more of an promotion for asian guy to be looked as sexually desirable not kung fu stars or asian geeks that any other people could make fun off lmao

256 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Land of the STARS
Offline
Posted 10/23/08
Of course Piccolo haf to be portrayed by someone of normal skin color.
U cant expect a green person to live normally in the reality right?
In the manga, there are ppl who haf wolf-heads or look alien like. But not in the actual world.
So, get over it.

PLUS!

Get over with the ethnicity issues.
Pity the writers and producers there.
They're obviously running out of ideas of super-hero and comic related ideas to produce. That's why they're turning to Asia for ideas.
America has what? Superman, Spiderman, Ironman, Batman and that's about it right?
But in Asia (Namely Japan) we've got TONS LOTS MORE of SUPER HEROES and Comic-related ideas to produce. And we dun even haf to repeat or come out with Part 1, 2, 3 etc..... We can go on with new ideas everytime. But in Hollywood? NOpe, they run out of ideas too fast that they have to rely on sequels. Be proud of that part. Asia's got too much ideas to run on sequels alone.... Hehehehe ....

Peace, ppl... P-E-A-C-E
910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 10/23/08
They just dont want any other asian topping Masi Oka



13309 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 10/23/08
Wow tough crowd. Just like Hollywood

551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F
Offline
Posted 10/23/08

merlose wrote:


cyphk999 wrote:


merlose wrote:


cyphk999 wrote:


it's hollywood of course they have to make adaptations and some changes to fit and cater to their viewers otherwise what's the point of redoing it at all, with the remake of hana kimi in taiwan do you expect them to cast japanese actors hehehe.. i think it's more racist to claim unfounded discriminations - to claim what is for asians and what is not.. this is a borderless world anyway, it's been years since the asian entertainment industry borrow ideas from hollywood now it's the other way around - so i interpret this as a compliment to asian writers and moviemakers instead..


Umm your point also shows a very good reason why asians never make it big in america.



hahaha funny now you are saying asians would never make it big in america??now who is downplaying who?? with all due respect to the asian entertainment - asian movies is now starting to make it big in america... remember - the ring, the grudge, the eye ( japan) , shutter (thailand), the echo (philippines).. these are just a few of the movies that was remade by hollywood - which made a lot of people around the globe be interested in asian films and made them more interested in watching the original version and other films from these countries as well.. i never watched japanese movies, never been seen and heard until all the hollywood hype eh...

now in terms of singing, asians are starting to make it big too - let me introduce you to charice pempengco huh?!? in the world of boxing - manny paquio huh?!?.. jackie chan, jet li huh?!? dancing -philippine all stars huh?!?

if making it big in america means an asian should be playing this character whatever - then why did hollywood movies made it big in asia huh?!? you mean spiderman should be asian as well in order to penetrate the asian market huh?!?

if people in america would think the way you do ? they would have just shut their door to anything asian and vice versa..


Yeah,but old guys like jackie chan and jet li are not exactly sex symbols.I think eugene is right to an extend there needs to be more of an promotion for asian guy to be looked as sexually desirable not kung fu stars or asian geeks that any other people could make fun off lmao



huh?!? i'd rather like asians to be known with their talents and capabilities rather than on mere looks and sexuality...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.