First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
Is hollywood racist again for making goku white?
30 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 10/23/08

cyphk999 wrote:


merlose wrote:


cyphk999 wrote:


it's hollywood of course they have to make adaptations and some changes to fit and cater to their viewers otherwise what's the point of redoing it at all, with the remake of hana kimi in taiwan do you expect them to cast japanese actors hehehe.. i think it's more racist to claim unfounded discriminations - to claim what is for asians and what is not.. this is a borderless world anyway, it's been years since the asian entertainment industry borrow ideas from hollywood now it's the other way around - so i interpret this as a compliment to asian writers and moviemakers instead..


Umm your point also shows a very good reason why asians never make it big in america.



hahaha funny now you are saying asians would never make it big in america??now who is downplaying who?? with all due respect to the asian entertainment - asian movies is now starting to make it big in america... remember - the ring, the grudge, the eye ( japan) , shutter (thailand), the echo (philippines).. these are just a few of the movies that was remade by hollywood - which made a lot of people around the globe be interested in asian films and made them more interested in watching the original version and other films from these countries as well.. i never watched japanese movies, never been seen and heard until all the hollywood hype eh...

now in terms of singing, asians are starting to make it big too - let me introduce you to charice pempengco huh?!? in the world of boxing - manny paquio huh?!?.. jackie chan, jet li huh?!? dancing -philippine all stars huh?!?

if making it big in america means an asian should be playing this character whatever - then why did hollywood movies made it big in asia huh?!? you mean spiderman should be asian as well in order to penetrate the asian market huh?!?

if people in america would think the way you do ? they would have just shut their door to anything asian and vice versa..



Yes I am tired of seeing asian girls with white guys not because of racism im tired of it because it's all i see. In Kiss of the Dragon how many times did Jet Li save that stupid chicks ass.....and did he get anything in the end? no. just "hey thanks" and another movie with Jet Li Romeo must Die they build up this relationship with aaliyah through the whole movie...and then....a hug at the end. and its because originally they screened it with a test audience and they did not feel comfortable with an asian man as a romantic lead. which is racist.

"it's hollywood of course they have to make adaptations and some changes to fit and cater to their viewers otherwise what's the point of redoing it at all,"

I get your point i really do but what that comes down to is that they just want to sell the most tickets. and its not about the viewers or the fans or the manga...it comes down to cold hard cash...which im sorry is bullshit, yes its reality but its gotta change. If a movie is made just to make money you get shit movies eg. disaster movie, meet the spartans, beverly hills chihuahua this kind of pragmatic process of making movies is insulting.

"i think it's more racist to claim unfounded discriminations"

Incredibly naive i dunno if its on purpose or if you're just really unaware that these discriminations are not unfounded but clearly documented in the history of american film just watch the documentary "the slanted screen" to see how invasive racist portrayal of asians in american film is.

Even though asian-AMERICANS have a long history of living in america and contributing to the country validly we're still seen as foreign and not really "americans" which makes me not really appreciate you listing all this so called progress

" remember - the ring, the grudge, the eye ( japan) , shutter (thailand), the echo (philippines).. these are just a few of the movies that was remade by hollywood - which made a lot of people around the globe be interested in asian films and made them more interested in watching the original version and other films from these countries as well.. i never watched japanese movies, never been seen and heard until all the hollywood hype eh...

now in terms of singing, asians are starting to make it big too - let me introduce you to charice pempengco huh?!? in the world of boxing - manny paquio huh?!?.. jackie chan, jet li huh?!? dancing -philippine all stars huh?!?

its like you're saying "cmon you asians have this and this and this isn't that enough?!" and its not enough because it's not equality. i can go on and on but yea even think about the movie 21 and how hollywood gave up accuracy and truthfulness to nurture ignorance and racism for money.
826 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / U.S.
Offline
Posted 10/23/08
I'm really disappointed in the fact that they casted a caucasian to star as Goku. I'd really rather see an Asian actor take the role as well, but then maybe Hollywood, or at least some in Hollywood, might feel that, that would be racist. I think they'd be very careful about the casting, just because they know that DBZ has a huge fan base, as did Transformers. Unfortunately, audiences can be racist and might be more inclined to see a film with caucasian actors rather than Asian ones, who they would probably be unfamilar with. Hollywood, at the end of the day, is a business and they have to go with the best choice for the business.

The film is probably really good for Japan either way because it'll bring new fans to the anime and manga, which might get people more interested in their animes, mangas, and in turn movies. So, while I'd prefer an Asian Goku and I'm sure others would too, we just have to give the actors casted a chance.
826 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / U.S.
Offline
Posted 10/23/08

Eugene2814 wrote:

Yes I am tired of seeing asian girls with white guys not because of racism im tired of it because it's all i see. In Kiss of the Dragon how many times did Jet Li save that stupid chicks ass.....and did he get anything in the end? no. just "hey thanks" and another movie with Jet Li Romeo must Die they build up this relationship with aaliyah through the whole movie...and then....a hug at the end. and its because originally they screened it with a test audience and they did not feel comfortable with an asian man as a romantic lead. which is racist.

"it's hollywood of course they have to make adaptations and some changes to fit and cater to their viewers otherwise what's the point of redoing it at all,"

I get your point i really do but what that comes down to is that they just want to sell the most tickets. and its not about the viewers or the fans or the manga...it comes down to cold hard cash...which im sorry is bullshit, yes its reality but its gotta change. If a movie is made just to make money you get shit movies eg. disaster movie, meet the spartans, beverly hills chihuahua this kind of pragmatic process of making movies is insulting.

"i think it's more racist to claim unfounded discriminations"

Incredibly naive i dunno if its on purpose or if you're just really unaware that these discriminations are not unfounded but clearly documented in the history of american film just watch the documentary "the slanted screen" to see how invasive racist portrayal of asians in american film is.

Even though asian-AMERICANS have a long history of living in america and contributing to the country validly we're still seen as foreign and not really "americans" which makes me not really appreciate you listing all this so called progress

" remember - the ring, the grudge, the eye ( japan) , shutter (thailand), the echo (philippines).. these are just a few of the movies that was remade by hollywood - which made a lot of people around the globe be interested in asian films and made them more interested in watching the original version and other films from these countries as well.. i never watched japanese movies, never been seen and heard until all the hollywood hype eh...

now in terms of singing, asians are starting to make it big too - let me introduce you to charice pempengco huh?!? in the world of boxing - manny paquio huh?!?.. jackie chan, jet li huh?!? dancing -philippine all stars huh?!?

its like you're saying "cmon you asians have this and this and this isn't that enough?!" and its not enough because it's not equality. i can go on and on but yea even think about the movie 21 and how hollywood gave up accuracy and truthfulness to nurture ignorance and racism for money.



I agree, Asians haven't really made a ton of progress when it comes to the American entertainment industry. In fact, the historical contributions of Asians in this country is barely a footnote in a history book in this country. There should be more equality in Hollywood, but Hollywood is predominately white, and they aren't going to give the award winning roles to anyone but if they can help it. Hollywood has been that way for a long time, though they won't admit it. I'm Black American myself, and I was stunned to hear that Denzel Washington hadn't won an emmy until he portrayed a crooked cop in Training Day. I'd seen him play Steve Biko, Malcolm X, and even seen clips of his performance on St. Elsewhere, but they didn't give him an award until he basically played a drug dealing, drug abusing, spouse abusing cop. Its the same situation for Asians, its why Bruce Lee left this country to pursue his dreams of seeing Asians play respectable roles in films, and be respected equally, and that has yet to happen. Hollywood doesn't think Asians are good for much else except martial arts, and this is very evident by the martial arts section of any movie retailer. I have a hard time finding anything else Asian in the store, but if I want a martial arts movie, there's no shortage.
Posted 10/23/08
it's american version, i repeat, american version..
i'm not being a racist or anything but would you cast japanese actors in an american
(version) movie? common sense please......
4201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Heaven and Hell
Offline
Posted 10/23/08

cyphk999 wrote:


merlose wrote:


cyphk999 wrote:


merlose wrote:


cyphk999 wrote:


it's hollywood of course they have to make adaptations and some changes to fit and cater to their viewers otherwise what's the point of redoing it at all, with the remake of hana kimi in taiwan do you expect them to cast japanese actors hehehe.. i think it's more racist to claim unfounded discriminations - to claim what is for asians and what is not.. this is a borderless world anyway, it's been years since the asian entertainment industry borrow ideas from hollywood now it's the other way around - so i interpret this as a compliment to asian writers and moviemakers instead..


Umm your point also shows a very good reason why asians never make it big in america.



hahaha funny now you are saying asians would never make it big in america??now who is downplaying who?? with all due respect to the asian entertainment - asian movies is now starting to make it big in america... remember - the ring, the grudge, the eye ( japan) , shutter (thailand), the echo (philippines).. these are just a few of the movies that was remade by hollywood - which made a lot of people around the globe be interested in asian films and made them more interested in watching the original version and other films from these countries as well.. i never watched japanese movies, never been seen and heard until all the hollywood hype eh...

now in terms of singing, asians are starting to make it big too - let me introduce you to charice pempengco huh?!? in the world of boxing - manny paquio huh?!?.. jackie chan, jet li huh?!? dancing -philippine all stars huh?!?

if making it big in america means an asian should be playing this character whatever - then why did hollywood movies made it big in asia huh?!? you mean spiderman should be asian as well in order to penetrate the asian market huh?!?

if people in america would think the way you do ? they would have just shut their door to anything asian and vice versa..


Yeah,but old guys like jackie chan and jet li are not exactly sex symbols.I think eugene is right to an extend there needs to be more of an promotion for asian guy to be looked as sexually desirable not kung fu stars or asian geeks that any other people could make fun off lmao



huh?!? i'd rather like asians to be known with their talents and capabilities rather than on mere looks and sexuality...



Ok,that's your personal opinion but people can always be biased and say yeah I love the actors for their talent at first but later love them for being hot too.I know a lot of people after watching will start thinking differently about the actors.btw I don't really like chatzwin that much but i may just change after watching the movie. I even like james marsters more so that's one more good reason to watch the film.You get to watch 2 hot white guys but where are the hot asian guys in this movie isn't that unfair? instead you see another hollywood asian actor looking old and undesirable like chow fat guy (master roshi) acting like another jet li

3272 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Melbourne,Australia
Offline
Posted 10/23/08
hell yeah they should have got a well known asian actor with more realistic hair
4201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Heaven and Hell
Offline
Posted 10/23/08

misspsycho wrote:

it's american version, i repeat, american version..
i'm not being a racist or anything but would you cast japanese actors in an american
(version) movie? common sense please......


You obviously don't see reality behind this movie and the real americans were native americans.
1575 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / BrisneyLand
Offline
Posted 10/23/08
I'm, soooo sick of all these complaints!

The Americana version is supposed to be "American".

Yes, nothing beats the original, yes...they got the story from the Asians, but yes! they have the right to make their own version if they have the approval from the creators.

The American versions are mainly targeted towards the 'American' audience, so obviously they'll have to make adjustments to market it successfully for that type of customer base.

The true 'die-hard fans' of the original - have the original!
If you don't like it, don't watch it - simple as that people.
Posted 10/23/08

merlose wrote:


misspsycho wrote:

it's american version, i repeat, american version..
i'm not being a racist or anything but would you cast japanese actors in an american
(version) movie? common sense please......


You obviously don't see reality behind this movie and the real americans were native americans.


come again? what are we talking about? i'm talking about the casting of the movie,
not some native american issue...
13309 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 10/23/08

1001_tears wrote:

I'm, soooo sick of all these complaints!

The Americana version is supposed to be "American".

Yes, nothing beats the original, yes...they got the story from the Asians, but yes! they have the right to make their own version if they have the approval from the creators.

The American versions are mainly targeted towards the 'American' audience, so obviously they'll have to make adjustments to market it successfully for that type of customer base.

The true 'die-hard fans' of the original - have the original!
If you don't like it, don't watch it - simple as that people.



So true. Just enjoy the movie. After all it is a FANTASY movie.
Posted 10/23/08

1001_tears wrote:

I'm, soooo sick of all these complaints!

The Americana version is supposed to be "American".

Yes, nothing beats the original, yes...they got the story from the Asians, but yes! they have the right to make their own version if they have the approval from the creators.

The American versions are mainly targeted towards the 'American' audience, so obviously they'll have to make adjustments to market it successfully for that type of customer base.

The true 'die-hard fans' of the original - have the original!
If you don't like it, don't watch it - simple as that people.


i second that.
4201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Heaven and Hell
Offline
Posted 10/23/08 , edited 10/23/08

misspsycho wrote:


merlose wrote:


misspsycho wrote:

it's american version, i repeat, american version..
i'm not being a racist or anything but would you cast japanese actors in an american
(version) movie? common sense please......


You obviously don't see reality behind this movie and the real americans were native americans.


come again? what are we talking about? i'm talking about the casting of the movie,
not some native american issue...





You're saying this version is "american"therefore the actors should not be japanese
meaning japanese born americans are not really considered americans.It's like saying american are a nation of white people.I'm reminding you the true americans are the native american indians.White people invaded the country and extinc the people.
13309 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 10/23/08

merlose wrote:


misspsycho wrote:

it's american version, i repeat, american version..
i'm not being a racist or anything but would you cast japanese actors in an american
(version) movie? common sense please......


You obviously don't see reality behind this movie and the real americans were native americans.


Did I miss something in History class??? Didn't "native americans" come over the land bridge from Asia??
and therefore no "real americans" in america @#@ This is a movie not real life.
Lets just enjoy it and be glad they are spreading the love of the manga and anime from asia that we all enjoy.

587 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Here and there......
Offline
Posted 10/23/08 , edited 10/23/08
I was just about to say the above.

If this is an American version, why don't they use Asian American actors and actresses? There are plenty (watch Better Luck Tomorrow, Finishing the Game, even Harold and Kumar, etc), they are never called in because of the fact that are not considered to be "American" enough, even if they're born in America, speak perfect English, and only go back to Asia for a vacation.

Only way for this to change is when people wake up to the fact that there is more than one kind of "American" in the US. Saying that this is the American version doesn't mean anything because there are Asians in America. And the Asian American community in Los Angeles is enormous, it's just that no one considers them to be a viable casting option, because they aren't considered "American."

There was also an argument about how Hollywood movies are big in Asia, something about Spiderman being Asian to penetrate the Asian market. This only proves my point. Asia is fine with watching white people on screen being heroes, so why can't America be fine with it too?

Besides, Hollywood would be big regardless, it's Hollywood.
606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / USA
Offline
Posted 10/23/08
It is a hollywood movie so they would want hollywood actors you'd think
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.