First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
NEWS: Law Journal Article Supports Fansubs
49 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/28/08
I slightly confused about this whole "support the anime industry thing", isn't anime viewable in japan for free? When we buy anime DVDs, do we support the distributors, or the creators?
4062 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Unknown???
Offline
Posted 10/28/08

DomFortress wrote:


worrybeunhappy wrote:

hahahaha long live Joshua Daniels! hero of anime fans


Would you care to share your logic with the rest of us, before I smash it all to bits with facts from hell?


Hey i dont kno about u but i happen to hate the edited versions of animes with a vengeance and dw about lecturin me on the reality of the situation im more than sure u can, ive done a bit of LAW in the past and lets juz say its not my thing
Posted 10/29/08

zendude wrote:



Well, until Shinji, the father of this brainchild that is crunchyroll, do a formal survey or release statistics, then yes, we are pretty lost on actually how much this place is affecting Anime, specifically the target area which is North America. All that I could go by is what I see in forums, wall posts, number of views on the videos, and the activity of group fan clubs here. Again, I will state that I have requested statistics from the staff, but I got nothing; maybe because I pissed off the MODs (different story for another time) here and Shinji's mailbox doesn't allow you send messages to him. Well, I'll keep trying.

As for the open forum, there is rarely serious discussions here; this is probably one of the more serious ones for a while now. But hopefully, a well written report and informative will open the eyes of this place. It was actually really really good luck that I came across you, which is something that I was hoping for since I joined crunchyroll.

Well, informing the people what really happens in the back scenes will probably give them a deeper appreciation to what they are watching.


Well that may be the devil's luck for you, if you catch what I'm saying. The truth I know can be very scary, and I tend to do that to a lot of people with facts from hell these days.

I still think instead of a formal report, an informative, open-floor discussion is a more constructive way to gain support at this point. Right now, there aren't just that many of us that would view anime subculture like this. We'll need more support so our voice can be heard.


xcwaterboy wrote:

I would get into a huge discussion about this, but right now it's late (for me) and I'm to tired and lazy to get into it right now....
but I have to say that it is nice to see some positive stuff about anime in the news every now and again. Especially fansubs.


I would suggest that you find out the truth about what fansubs are doing to the anime industry as a whole, before voicing your support based on misconceptions.
518 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / With my female fr...
Offline
Posted 10/29/08
yay i dont understand at all =-=
27007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / AUSTRALIA
Offline
Posted 10/29/08
I don't really care xP
Posted 10/29/08

Ar4chN1d wrote:

I slightly confused about this whole "support the anime industry thing", isn't anime viewable in japan for free? When we buy anime DVDs, do we support the distributors, or the creators?


You should know by now that nothing is free in this world. People in Japan have to subscribe for television service just like we do, and anime just came as a part of the deal as standard programming. You may think that you're watching anime on crunchyroll for free, but the truth is you already subscribed your internet service from your internet provider, and crunchyroll is just a part of that service, with its bandwidth paid by advertisements from various business sponsors.

When you purchase licensed anime DVD, you are contributing both the distributors and the creators. However, licensing anime series is the only real method for the creators, the anime studios, to get pay for their work. When people stop buying licensed anime DVD, the licensing companies won't have the money to license anime series from anime studios, and anime studios will be going out of business from not getting paid for their work.


worrybeunhappy wrote:



Hey i dont kno about u but i happen to hate the edited versions of animes with a vengeance and dw about lecturin me on the reality of the situation im more than sure u can, ive done a bit of LAW in the past and lets juz say its not my thing


Then you should hate all fansubs with a vengeance because all fansub groups had altered the original anime series, by subtitling them without the original creators' consent. Do you think anime TV series were meant to be watched through the internet with subtitles?

If you don't like law because it's not your thing, that's your concerns. But be it ignorance or arrogance, you're wrong whether you like it or not. And you should know the consequences for your wrong doing is killing the creators of anime.
Posted 10/29/08

DarkUnderSiege wrote:

yay i dont understand at all =-=


Then help yourself to understand by asking questions. This should concerns you because it's about the survival of anime studios.


Lenalee1 wrote:

I don't really care xP


And that's how you kill anime with ignorance and arrogance, good bye.
49 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/29/08

DomFortress wrote:


Ar4chN1d wrote:

I slightly confused about this whole "support the anime industry thing", isn't anime viewable in japan for free? When we buy anime DVDs, do we support the distributors, or the creators?


You should know by now that nothing is free in this world. People in Japan have to subscribe for television service just like we do, and anime just came as a part of the deal as standard programming. You may think that you're watching anime on crunchyroll for free, but the truth is you already subscribed your internet service from your internet provider, and crunchyroll is just a part of that service, with its bandwidth paid by advertisements from various business sponsors.

When you purchase licensed anime DVD, you are contributing both the distributors and the creators. However, licensing anime series is the only real method for the creators, the anime studios, to get pay for their work. When people stop buying licensed anime DVD, the licensing companies won't have the money to license anime series from anime studios, and anime studios will be going out of business from not getting paid for their work.


hmm...
Where I come from, television is free, at least some of it, and i assume the broadcasting stations earn money from advertisements.
I'm thinking that Anime studios "sell" their products to the broadcasting stations and get profit from there.

27007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / AUSTRALIA
Offline
Posted 10/29/08

DomFortress wrote:


DarkUnderSiege wrote:

yay i dont understand at all =-=


Then help yourself to understand by asking questions. This should concerns you because it's about the survival of anime studios.


Lenalee1 wrote:

I don't really care xP


And that's how you kill anime with ignorance and arrogance, good bye.


Again, CAREEE
(no offence^^)
518 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / With my female fr...
Offline
Posted 10/29/08 , edited 10/29/08
even if i don understand but you still cant deny this small fact that fansubs are growing out of nowhere and o yea my country now do not sell the new animes anymore and ive never done online shopping before =/ to regards of buying anime online
24010 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / yume no sekai -_-
Offline
Posted 10/29/08
h-huh?
Posted 10/29/08

Ar4chN1d wrote:



hmm...
Where I come from, television is free, at least some of it, and i assume the broadcasting stations earn money from advertisements.
I'm thinking that Anime studios "sell" their products to the broadcasting stations and get profit from there.



That's not how anime works on Japanese TV network. Most anime fans don't know this, but anime studios have to purchase the time slots from Japanese broadcast stations, just like any legitimate business does. This is why you see those business sponsors being mentioned at the beginning of each episode, because it cost a fortune to air anime series on not just one, but several networks at the same time in Japan. And only in Japan.

If anime studios want to sell their works internationally, they need to rely on licensing due to International Copyright Act requests that a legitimate distributor to handle the distribution of copyright materials, as a method to protect the interest of the creators.
3711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / US
Offline
Posted 10/29/08

DomFortress wrote:


zendude wrote:



Well, until Shinji, the father of this brainchild that is crunchyroll, do a formal survey or release statistics, then yes, we are pretty lost on actually how much this place is affecting Anime, specifically the target area which is North America. All that I could go by is what I see in forums, wall posts, number of views on the videos, and the activity of group fan clubs here. Again, I will state that I have requested statistics from the staff, but I got nothing; maybe because I pissed off the MODs (different story for another time) here and Shinji's mailbox doesn't allow you send messages to him. Well, I'll keep trying.

As for the open forum, there is rarely serious discussions here; this is probably one of the more serious ones for a while now. But hopefully, a well written report and informative will open the eyes of this place. It was actually really really good luck that I came across you, which is something that I was hoping for since I joined crunchyroll.

Well, informing the people what really happens in the back scenes will probably give them a deeper appreciation to what they are watching.


Well that may be the devil's luck for you, if you catch what I'm saying. The truth I know can be very scary, and I tend to do that to a lot of people with facts from hell these days.

I still think instead of a formal report, an informative, open-floor discussion is a more constructive way to gain support at this point. Right now, there aren't just that many of us that would view anime subculture like this. We'll need more support so our voice can be heard.


xcwaterboy wrote:

I would get into a huge discussion about this, but right now it's late (for me) and I'm to tired and lazy to get into it right now....
but I have to say that it is nice to see some positive stuff about anime in the news every now and again. Especially fansubs.


I would suggest that you find out the truth about what fansubs are doing to the anime industry as a whole, before voicing your support based on misconceptions.


Yeah, your probably right. I don't have enough information to make an informed opinion on this kind of matter. And when I said big discussion, I didn't mean anything negative, I read all your posts and I found it very interesting to read.
Posted 10/29/08

DarkUnderSiege wrote:

even if i don understand but you still cant deny this small fact that fansubs are growing out of nowhere and o yea my country now do not sell the new animes anymore and ive never done online shopping before =/ to regards of buying anime online


A fundamental fact in all business is the concept of supply and demand. There are fansubs coming out of nowhere because there are people demanding them for free. This is the same as asking anime studios to work for free, and no smart businessman works for free. Fansub groups aren't the ones making anime, is the people working at anime studios that's making anime.


xcwaterboy wrote:



Yeah, your probably right. I don't have enough information to make an informed opinion on this kind of matter. And when I said big discussion, I didn't mean anything negative, I read all your posts and I found it very interesting to read.


Don't be too hard on yourself, you're doing the right thing by simply getting yourself well informed. I'm grateful that you found my posts to be informative.
49 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/29/08


Thanks alot for the info

so how accurate are the official subs?
I've had bad experience purchasing an anime DVD, the subs were completely crap, mistranslated names, bad grammar etc etc.
I doubt it was done by the official distributor, but makes me wonder how bad these stuff can be.
I'm actually considering getting DVDs now, though I might have to resort to buying it off the net, and paying extra for shipping.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.