First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Do you consider Tai Chi a martial art?
Member
2827 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Cloud Nine
Offline
Posted 11/7/08
Tai Chi is most often practiced for health benefits. Tai chi is typically practiced for a variety of reasons; its soft martial techniques, health and longevity.

There are five major styles of Tai Chi:
Chen Style - the oldest form of Tai Chi, third in popularity, and the origin was not varifiable until the 16th century.
Yang Style - second oldest and began in the early 1800's.
Wu/Hao Style - third in age and fifth in popularity.
Wu Style - second most popular, forth in age, and started in 1850.
Sun Style - Forth in popularity, fifth in age, and was started by Sun Lu-t'ang.

Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 11/8/08

ladydeath777 wrote:

Tai Chi is most often practiced for health benefits. Tai chi is typically practiced for a variety of reasons; its soft martial techniques, health and longevity.

There are five major styles of Tai Chi:
Chen Style - the oldest form of Tai Chi, third in popularity, and the origin was not varifiable until the 16th century.
Yang Style - second oldest and began in the early 1800's.
Wu/Hao Style - third in age and fifth in popularity.
Wu Style - second most popular, forth in age, and started in 1850.
Sun Style - Forth in popularity, fifth in age, and was started by Sun Lu-t'ang.



Good question.
It depends on it's designation and application.
If it is designed to injure, subdue, overcome, or kill an opponent or opponents, then it is a martial art.
If not, it isn't.

Sadly I do not know why it was created and it's application
10410 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / F / Somewhere in the US
Offline
Posted 11/8/08
It depends....on the school. Some schools it is not a martial art, but tai chi chuan means "ultimate fist" in mandrin. I had a friend who studied it, and his training was not for the faint of heart. His concentrated on killing by using pressure points and your opponents own actions against them. That said, most tai chi you find will not be of this caliber, it is predominantly used as a form of improving health and for meditation.
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 11/8/08
I have never heard anything to verify this, but I heard somewhere that taijiquan was a martial art and tai chi is a derivative that has been reduced to purely an internal art.
Member
2827 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Cloud Nine
Offline
Posted 11/8/08
The school silverfizz is talking about sounds really interesting! I haven't seen many Tai Chi practitioners. I do believe that it was traditionally meant to be a martial art, but now in the modern era its become nearly obsolete.
Member
2760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Purgatory & Georgia
Offline
Posted 11/9/08
I'd say its a form of meditation based on how ive seen it and done it. I say maybe.
Member
1427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / who knows..
Offline
Posted 11/11/08
it depends on who uses tai chi and how they use it.
for example: my grandma uses it to be healthy and to create better breathing techniques.
but she also learned a different styles of taichi that she can use to defend herself.

so, over all, i'd say it's about half martial arts and half not.
Member
32096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Some where inside...
Offline
Posted 11/13/08
well in my opinion it is marial arts and it does not matter what a person uses it for if it can be used for defense or attack then it is a martial art. for look at the other martial arts and you will possibly see people using it like other people use tai chi, for strength, stamina, and longevity.
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 11/14/08

shihhoucaim wrote:

well in my opinion it is marial arts and it does not matter what a person uses it for if it can be used for defense or attack then it is a martial art. for look at the other martial arts and you will possibly see people using it like other people use tai chi, for strength, stamina, and longevity.


That's a good point, but while something can be used as martial arts, does that make it martial arts?
Martial arts refers to something designed for combat.

For example; many people refer to the human body as a weapon. While it can be used as a weapon, a weapon is defined as something that is designed to injure or kill an entity.

Just something to think about.
Member
4095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Los Angeles, Cali...
Offline
Posted 11/17/08
depends how its practiced really. if all you do is the slow moving and breathing techniques, then no. its still good, still healthy, but not something to fight with. but i have seen the "combat" style of tai chi, and that looks pretty impressive
Member
2827 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Cloud Nine
Offline
Posted 11/25/08
Thanks for answering, everyone!!! I agree with most of what I've heard. Can anyone post a link to a video of the combat style Tai Chi?
Member
27250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/12/08 , edited 12/12/08
Tai chi (Taiji chuan is the real term for it, I have no idea how it got reduced to just tai chi without the 'chuan' at the end) is one of the most feared martial arts in China, or so I hear from my friend from China. I am fluent in Chinese, so just saying tai chi instead of taiji chuan makes no sense. I've also seen demonstrations of taiji chuan. It is very good for training your chi and developing control over your body. In combat situations it is surprisingly swift and looks very relaxed.
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 12/12/08

Morbidhanson wrote:

Tai chi (Taiji chuan is the real term for it, I have no idea how it got reduced to just tai chi without the 'chuan' at the end) is one of the most feared martial arts in China, or so I hear from my friend from China. I am fluent in Chinese, so just saying tai chi instead of taiji chuan makes no sense. I've also seen demonstrations of taiji chuan. It is very good for training your chi and developing control over your body. In combat situations it is surprisingly swift and looks very relaxed.


Hey, welcome to the group!
I would mention that there's different forms of romanization.
Some say Taichichuan, others say Taijiquan. However I have noticed the "Quan/Chuan" being left out in the more internal forms. I assume that the original art has drifted quite far from what it has become today.

Member
27250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/12/08 , edited 12/12/08
So it would seem. It's just that the term 'tai chi' said by itself with nothing following it makes no sense and is not a style in Chinese, it's just a verb. It would almost be like saying 'Jeet Kun' instead of 'Jeet Kun Do'.
10196 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Uoi'nota, kyon ul...
Offline
Posted 12/14/08

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


shihhoucaim wrote:

well in my opinion it is marial arts and it does not matter what a person uses it for if it can be used for defense or attack then it is a martial art. for look at the other martial arts and you will possibly see people using it like other people use tai chi, for strength, stamina, and longevity.


That's a good point, but while something can be used as martial arts, does that make it martial arts?
Martial arts refers to something designed for combat.

For example; many people refer to the human body as a weapon. While it can be used as a weapon, a weapon is defined as something that is designed to injure or kill an entity.

Just something to think about.


I just have two things to say; One is more a personal observation.

Martial arts as near as I can tell are designed for making one's body and mind better in combat as well as everyday situations. From what I have seen of tai chi practiced it is indeed a martial art in every sense of the term. If one takes the moves used in it and uses them rapidly you come out with a very effeceint style that makes very little extra movements. Personally I believe any form of form of conditioning using a series of movements that aid in focusing the mind as well as enhancing the body is a martial art.

As to weapons well, a weapon is technically anything that can be used to harm, maim, and/or kill a creature or person. Therefore the human body Is a weapon, it is just most a far less effective one than say a knife or even a tree branch.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.