Opus Dei
629 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / BCN
Offline
Posted 11/8/08 , edited 7/18/09
If you're against or for it tell me why!

-The Good Things About Opus Dei
-The Bad Things About Opus Dei

____________________________

Opus Dei is a Catholic organisation, which has been receiving many criticisms and controversy as a result of Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code.

Please refer to this link for more info
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/subdivisions/opusdei.shtml

~post edited by animoo_x
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 11/8/08
I don't know much about it besides the Da Vinci Code's take on it, so i can't really pass any judgement on it
But if they got Albino assassins in their employee, that would be awesome
53942 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 11/8/08
Opus Dei?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_Dei

If its that then I have no idea...

Btw shouldn't this be in the extended? o_O
Erehe 
5156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Heretic's Keep
Offline
Posted 11/8/08

h4x0rz wrote:

I don't know much about it besides the Da Vinci Code's take on it, so i can't really pass any judgement on it
But if they got Albino assassins in their employee, that would be awesome


That wouldn't be cool since if the Albino assassin would be true, It would mean there are corrupt priests in the Vatican as well.
629 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / BCN
Offline
Posted 11/8/08

Nyarth wrote:

Opus Dei?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_Dei

If its that then I have no idea...

Btw shouldn't this be in the extended? o_O


if you don't know what is it, you shouldn't bother about it so much; I don't really appreciate this organisation because in my country they have a lot of control over people, they brainwach them, steal their money and properties in the name of god...

and hmmmmmmm, i really don't know if i should remove this topic in the extended!?
Posted 7/18/09
~edited topic headlne and moved to Extended Discussion section.

Please stay on topic!
This is not a place for you to discuss whether priests are corrupt. Off-topic posts will be deleted and the users concerned banned.
4930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Singapore
Offline
Posted 7/18/09 , edited 7/18/09
They own all-boys/all-girls schools and a co-ed university for the elites here.
8356 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 7/18/09
The Da Vinci Code has been debunked numerous times, As far as that organization goes I really don't know much about it.
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 7/18/09

sarawen wrote:

If you're against or for it tell me why!

-The Good Things About Opus Dei
-The Bad Things About Opus Dei

____________________________

Opus Dei is a Catholic organisation, which has been receiving many criticisms and controversy as a result of Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code.

Please refer to this link for more info
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/subdivisions/opusdei.shtml

~post edited by animoo_x



Well, I read the article and aside from the obviously out of context quote under the controversy section I don’t think there’s anything particularly interesting. The Da Vinci code’s plot may have painted a negative picture of them, but it was also completely absurd and insulting to pretty much all religion in general. The author didn’t really do anything wrong, so don’t get –me- wrong. I’m just saying his critical of religion, so this particular Catholic sect won’t be the only one getting a bad rep from the absurdity.

Here’s an example. The book and movie both claim that Mary the prostitute married Christ and had his child. According to them, however, she wasn’t really a prostitute. That was just something the church invented to slander an innocent lady. Well, this of course is absurd. According to the church Mary did start out as a prostitute, but she was redeemed and repented. That’s not much of a slander campaign. Saying, “Well yeah she made some mistakes when she was young, but now she’s redeemed.” The conspiracy buff behind this particular theory is the only one really being critical of her, but he projects that onto the early Christian church. That’s not Opus Dei itself, but all Christianity from that time period.


Revolver Dogelot
72988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / somewhere that is...
Offline
Posted 7/18/09
The only thing I honestly find odd is that they do in fact condone and encourage flagellation during prayer. What is that you ask? It is the act of hitting yourself with some form of weapon, a thick knotted rope, a chain, a whip, etc, as a form of repentance. When I say hitting I also don't mean a light slap that leaves a sting, I mean drawing blood, cutting or bruising skin, and in very bad cases breaking bones. I don't find the idea bad per se, but it is an extremist measure and extremes of any kind should be avoided in my personal opinion. I also find their ideas regarding the behavior of men and women (particularly the ones that are married) a bit out dated.

Besides that they are like any other sect of a religion. They are not "out to get you" to my knowledge and I certainly don't see a reason to cast any aspersions on them. They do some odd things, but so does a number of other people.
1178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Everywhere
Offline
Posted 7/23/09

Erehe wrote:


h4x0rz wrote:

I don't know much about it besides the Da Vinci Code's take on it, so i can't really pass any judgement on it
But if they got Albino assassins in their employee, that would be awesome


That wouldn't be cool since if the Albino assassin would be true, It would mean there are corrupt priests in the Vatican as well.


Corrupt priests? What a blasphemous idea. Who's ever heard of such a thing?
1580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 7/24/09
From my personal experience, many members of the Opus Dei claim to be extremely religious and piuos while looking down on those they do not consider so and are also extremely conservative in nature. While I am a catholic individual, I think that they are a bit hypocritical because of their intolerance for the ideas of others and because of their haughty, attention-seeking behavior; in other words, they want others to realize just how religious they are, which is ironic since arrogance is a sin.
You must be logged in to post.