First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
We are not the only animals who are self-aware
2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 11/14/08 , edited 11/14/08

baka2000 wrote:


leviathan343 wrote:

Animals kill each other. They kill and eat their own kind too.


You say that like humans have never done so. I can think up thousands of cases of humans murdering, and committing cannibalism on other humans (some humans even willingly let themselves be eaten). And we kill and eat other animals too. Likewise, I can think of thousands of cases of animals never eating other animals, let alone killing and eating their own kind. I don't understand your point really.


The argument was that human beings do stupid things that animals would never do. Ultimately the argument is that animals deserve some sort of recognition.

That's just an example to counter the "humans kill and murder and animals would never do that" example.
485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/14/08

leviathan343 wrote:


baka2000 wrote:


leviathan343 wrote:

Animals kill each other. They kill and eat their own kind too.


You say that like humans have never done so. I can think up thousands of cases of humans murdering, and committing cannibalism on other humans (some humans even willingly let themselves be eaten). And we kill and eat other animals too. Likewise, I can think of thousands of cases of animals never eating other animals, let alone killing and eating their own kind. I don't understand your point really.


The argument was that human beings do stupid things that humans would never do. Ultimately the argument is that animals deserve some sort of recognition.

That's just an example to counter the "humans kill and murder and animals would never do that" example.


Well then, I need to stop only reading half of what the OP has to say. That last paragraph really changed the entire meaning of your post. Well then, carry on!
646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / just around that...
Offline
Posted 11/14/08

raja613 wrote:

If we aren't animals what else could we be classified as?


well, simple human biengs!!

8045 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / but the computers...
Online
Posted 11/14/08

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


EBKemanon wrote:

And yet we're still on top. What's your point?
How long do you think that will be the case. Humans may some day go the way of the dodo bird.




Outside of an unprecedented disease, so long as there is life on Earth we can be fairly certain there will be humans. But what does this have to do with your original post?
9584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / In Memphis, with...
Offline
Posted 11/14/08

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

We are not the only animals who are self-aware that is a fact, many researchers have taken the time to show evidence of this as well. Set an ape in front of a mirror he is able to understand that the image in the mirror is him, and like humans they will use the mirror to check them selfs out.
Example of there level of awareness, put a red drop of paint or something on a apes face, wen that ape or gorilla, looks in the mirror he amedietly puts his hand on the dot on his own face. Showing all to clearly that he knows that the image in the mirror is him self. Use this test on human Children and half will fail it up to the age of 5.
So the damn stinking Apes are self aware big deal... We are still smarter than them! Don't tell that to the 5 year old gorillas that beat collage students in a short term memory contest using human made numbering systems, yeah beating humans at there own game!
'Gorillas are able to learn to understand humans and there language, there able to also learn sign language, and teach there own kids it. On top of they do have there own form of language, its most humans are to lazy to understand that humans are not the only animals in the world able to speak. They just speak a different language than us.'

Humans are so Thick headed they don't even realize that there animals them selfs. Yes humans kill and murder and do stupid things no self respecting animal would do, but we are still animals, we are just the uncle no one wants to invite to the party.




What's your point? We are mammals, just like animals. We are, however, not just animals. We possess reason, intelligence and the capability to understand many more things than animals. I thought it was taught at school, unless schools in your region don't? There is also this matter that many children are not aware of those facts simply because they were not taught about them.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 11/14/08

HayatellAyasaki wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

We are not the only animals who are self-aware that is a fact, many researchers have taken the time to show evidence of this as well. Set an ape in front of a mirror he is able to understand that the image in the mirror is him, and like humans they will use the mirror to check them selfs out.
Example of there level of awareness, put a red drop of paint or something on a apes face, wen that ape or gorilla, looks in the mirror he amedietly puts his hand on the dot on his own face. Showing all to clearly that he knows that the image in the mirror is him self. Use this test on human Children and half will fail it up to the age of 5.
So the damn stinking Apes are self aware big deal... We are still smarter than them! Don't tell that to the 5 year old gorillas that beat collage students in a short term memory contest using human made numbering systems, yeah beating humans at there own game!
'Gorillas are able to learn to understand humans and there language, there able to also learn sign language, and teach there own kids it. On top of they do have there own form of language, its most humans are to lazy to understand that humans are not the only animals in the world able to speak. They just speak a different language than us.'

Humans are so Thick headed they don't even realize that there animals them selfs. Yes humans kill and murder and do stupid things no self respecting animal would do, but we are still animals, we are just the uncle no one wants to invite to the party.




What's your point? We are mammals, just like animals. We are, however, not just animals. We possess reason, intelligence and the capability to understand many more things than animals. I thought it was taught at school, unless schools in your region don't? There is also this matter that many children are not aware of those facts simply because they were not taught about them.


The point is that animals are just as self aware as humans, and are just as able to learn to do a lot of the things humans do. Example apes can be taut English, they can under stand it, and even have the mind power to take sign language and create there own form of it, later teaching it to there own kids.
'The can learn to fly plains, Weld, open bottle, stock shelfs, and much more. They already have better short term memory than humans. In a way they may end up being a Humans next target slave group. Being that humans been into owning slaves sense the first few villages came to be.

136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 11/14/08

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


leviathan343 wrote:

Animals kill each other. They kill and eat their own kind too.


They fight over food, protecting there kids, and fight to pass on there DNA.
Humans fight over religion, money, and money, and religion.


in the defence of "religion"
that is one thing worth fighting for.
way more important than money,
objects, and all that bull crap.

but even so. we fight over that because
we dont have to fight over food because
we are at the top.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 11/15/08

pavony wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


leviathan343 wrote:

Animals kill each other. They kill and eat their own kind too.


They fight over food, protecting there kids, and fight to pass on there DNA.
Humans fight over religion, money, and money, and religion.


in the defence of "religion"
that is one thing worth fighting for.
way more important than money,
objects, and all that bull crap.

but even so. we fight over that because
we dont have to fight over food because
we are at the top.


No fighting over a imaginary friend is not a good resin to fight.
You no proof at all 0% yet your going to start wars over it. (sounds kind of childish to kill someone just because your having a who's imaginary friend is better contest.)

'Yes Animals kill and we kill. But animals don't do it just for the fun of it.' They Kill to survive. We kill because killing animals is so damn fun.'




9584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / In Memphis, with...
Offline
Posted 11/15/08

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


HayatellAyasaki wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

We are not the only animals who are self-aware that is a fact, many researchers have taken the time to show evidence of this as well. Set an ape in front of a mirror he is able to understand that the image in the mirror is him, and like humans they will use the mirror to check them selfs out.
Example of there level of awareness, put a red drop of paint or something on a apes face, wen that ape or gorilla, looks in the mirror he amedietly puts his hand on the dot on his own face. Showing all to clearly that he knows that the image in the mirror is him self. Use this test on human Children and half will fail it up to the age of 5.
So the damn stinking Apes are self aware big deal... We are still smarter than them! Don't tell that to the 5 year old gorillas that beat collage students in a short term memory contest using human made numbering systems, yeah beating humans at there own game!
'Gorillas are able to learn to understand humans and there language, there able to also learn sign language, and teach there own kids it. On top of they do have there own form of language, its most humans are to lazy to understand that humans are not the only animals in the world able to speak. They just speak a different language than us.'

Humans are so Thick headed they don't even realize that there animals them selfs. Yes humans kill and murder and do stupid things no self respecting animal would do, but we are still animals, we are just the uncle no one wants to invite to the party.




What's your point? We are mammals, just like animals. We are, however, not just animals. We possess reason, intelligence and the capability to understand many more things than animals. I thought it was taught at school, unless schools in your region don't? There is also this matter that many children are not aware of those facts simply because they were not taught about them.


The point is that animals are just as self aware as humans, and are just as able to learn to do a lot of the things humans do. Example apes can be taut English, they can under stand it, and even have the mind power to take sign language and create there own form of it, later teaching it to there own kids.
'The can learn to fly plains, Weld, open bottle, stock shelfs, and much more. They already have better short term memory than humans. In a way they may end up being a Humans next target slave group. Being that humans been into owning slaves sense the first few villages came to be.



I agree with that, yes. But it seems you are exaggerating it a bit, don't you think? I believe humans are simply amazed, not by apes alone, but with the DNA proximity between the two species, and I have to point out that I am talking about chimpanzees, whose DNA is closer to human's DNA by 0.01% making them far more distant from others such as the gorillas and monkeys. I don't see humans been enslaving apes like many other species, and again I am not denying your good point in this. What really is pissing off our own kind are those individuals who enslave apes by mere entertainment, like people in certain countries, but that is beyond the point.
9584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / In Memphis, with...
Offline
Posted 11/15/08

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


pavony wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


leviathan343 wrote:

Animals kill each other. They kill and eat their own kind too.


They fight over food, protecting there kids, and fight to pass on there DNA.
Humans fight over religion, money, and money, and religion.


in the defence of "religion"
that is one thing worth fighting for.
way more important than money,
objects, and all that bull crap.

but even so. we fight over that because
we dont have to fight over food because
we are at the top.


No fighting over a imaginary friend is not a good resin to fight.
You no proof at all 0% yet your going to start wars over it. (sounds kind of childish to kill someone just because your having a who's imaginary friend is better contest.)

'Yes Animals kill and we kill. But animals don't do it just for the fun of it.' They Kill to survive. We kill because killing animals is so damn fun.'



Not all is about fun, take for example the bovines, we kill them because they are part of our alimentary system. But other than those animals, humans do kill for fun, the ignorant humans that is. Just like the animals we are and the carnivore we are as well, we have to kill in order to survive. Even vegetarians kill, people might think or don't about this, but vegetables and plants live as well, and we kill them in order to survive.

About those who kill for fun, it is not because we humans are so arrogant, because we are even if we deny it. But it mostly happens in countries where people is more than arrogant, they believe they are the rulers of this planet. They feel safe in their homes and been protected by their country, and they ignorance transcends even their own ego.

Religion, it's better to leave that subject aside because people tend to be subjective about it, and then others start doing the same in a stupid-er way, such as insulting and mocking religions, the lack of respect and such. Don't you agree?
Posted 11/15/08

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


leviathan343 wrote:

Animals kill each other. They kill and eat their own kind too.


They fight over food, protecting there kids, and fight to pass on there DNA.
Humans fight over religion, money, and money, and religion.

true very true but you forget another important one territory/land
136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 11/15/08

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


pavony wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


leviathan343 wrote:

Animals kill each other. They kill and eat their own kind too.


They fight over food, protecting there kids, and fight to pass on there DNA.
Humans fight over religion, money, and money, and religion.


in the defence of "religion"
that is one thing worth fighting for.
way more important than money,
objects, and all that bull crap.

but even so. we fight over that because
we dont have to fight over food because
we are at the top.


No fighting over a imaginary friend is not a good resin to fight.
You no proof at all 0% yet your going to start wars over it. (sounds kind of childish to kill someone just because your having a who's imaginary friend is better contest.)

'Yes Animals kill and we kill. But animals don't do it just for the fun of it.' They Kill to survive. We kill because killing animals is so damn fun.'






Imaginary friend?
call it what you want.
But that is one thing i will fight for, for the rest of my life.
16241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 11/15/08 , edited 11/15/08


an error: human children have self-awareness that they exist in a matter of a few MONTHS(if i recall correctly; it's eight months). =_=; not up to the age of five. up to the age of four our brain is already very developed.

and a lot of the apes are 98~99% genetically close to us. if treated properly; humans can even accept ape blood when we're injured. ~_~ that's how similar we are.

and yes; humans are still humans. apes are still apes. we ARE smarter than them. but they DO show signs like a human, for example they have a diversity of 'human' emotions. like they feel sorrow; they feel happy; they can be hyper active, they can be jealous, they can be selfish, they can be kind, they can be gentle (etc). (research shown by Jane Gordall--- a world famous primatologist)

a lot of primates are able to use simple tools; e.g: using a stick to get ants out to eat them ~_~, they're also violent animals. -- yes they show signs of being like a human --- even to our bad points --- being violent. ~_~ ------ so it's debatable whether only humans 'do stupid things no self respecting animal would do' whether humans are animals are debatable as well. ~_~ *takes out the bible* *points* in the big fat holy book; it says humans are not animals. ~_~ apparently we're better than them. ~_~


but my point is; Yes a lot of primates have self-awareness, they show similar signs of acting like a human, an adult primate can be smarter than a human child. ------- but they're not human, just like we're not apes. we're still different. physically and emotionally. ~_~


Laharalsan_666 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


leviathan343 wrote:

Animals kill each other. They kill and eat their own kind too.


They fight over food, protecting there kids, and fight to pass on there DNA.
Humans fight over religion, money, and money, and religion.

true very true but you forget another important one territory/land


In the 1970s, research Jane Gordall? (I may have spelt her name wrong; damn, and I have a test on this too... ) have witness an act by a group of primates; called the 'F-family' where a group of male went to the land of another group of primates, and they savagely killed that group. the whole group. from that incident, it proved that humans are NOT the only animals who 'fight over things' out of the blue. (and this proposes a theory from the evolutionary stand point; that humans may have a 'violent gene' that makes us 'naturally' violent.--- scary thought isn't it? XD since primates are our distant cousins--- the difference between us and an ape, is only ten times greater than another person who we have no connections with on the other side of the world--- less difference than a rat to a mice)
1844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / In The Abyss
Offline
Posted 11/15/08
Does it matter? If we were at risk of being controlled we'd destroy everything in sight, we are animals because we have instincts like to eat, reproduce, shelter, protect the newborn. We are animals no doubt but some things we do are worse than other animals, has an ape ever nuked Japan?
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 6/24/09

KariKun wrote:

Does it matter? If we were at risk of being controlled we'd destroy everything in sight, we are animals because we have instincts like to eat, reproduce, shelter, protect the newborn. We are animals no doubt but some things we do are worse than other animals, has an ape ever nuked Japan?

Not yet but most Apes like Japan its where they get most of there respect.
'Thats where Scientest pointed out a 5 year old ape can beat 18 to 25 year old people in a counting game using human made numbers.'

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.