First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
why do some people feel threatened by intelligence?
99577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Charlotte
Offline
Posted 1/18/09
They're afraid that they will have to be faced by that person one day and that they're loose. That and it hurts their prid
2142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / America, Fuck Yeah.
Offline
Posted 1/18/09
I've had more experiences with the converse theory, truthfully.
2693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / guess where
Offline
Posted 1/18/09

baka2000 wrote:
I've never seen people look down on someone merely because they were smart. I've seen people look down on others due to their lack of ability to hold a normal conversation, or a conversation of interest to and with another person. I've seen people look down on someone because they're unable to live up to social commitments because they're too busy (work/school/studying). Being intelligent isn't a factor people naturally rule out and mark off as something to be avoided. In fact, intellectuals tend to be leaders.

I'm going to assume you're looking at this from a school environment perspective - correct me if I'm wrong. The "intelligent" or "nerds" in school are only made fun of because they put their studies before their social life. Anyone who puts work before social life will be looked down on. No one likes a punkass who isn't able to be friendly (differs depending on the individual you're talking to). Anyway, high marks isn't something that defines what someone's intellectual capacity is... but that's another topic in itself.

Some people may try to to sabotage those who are doing well, due to jealousy and wanting to stunt their ability, in order to try to make up for their own personal failures. But, that isn't about intellect, that's merely about status.

I've found "intellectuals" who are social are well liked. Those who grow to be elitist, isolate themselves. Others don't have anything to do with it. However you choose to act, you'll find the world will react based on the image you've set up of yourself. I think the misconception is from how "intellectuals" always put themselves on a higher tier than others. When you choose to hate people who are less intelligent than you, then you'll find they hate you in return.


i agree..
84 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 2/9/09

Northboundsnow wrote:

I be honest and ask what you mean by intelligence or how you define it according to this topic. Are you referring to people who are more learned or knowledgeable of certain issues such as academic or religious issues?



It's hard to define who is worthy of the title "intelligent" and who isn't, however, from my standing point those whom I consider to be "intelligent" are able to hold their beliefs above roaring waters with a solid foundation to back it up by. Their foundation could range from as far as academic studies to personal morals. Now, that isn't to say that they wouldn't be open minded to prospective ideas which could very well lead to radical change, but someone who is intelligent should be able to grab hold of their beliefs not because someone else has simply told them that such thinking was the right way, but because they've processed the circumstances and weighed the probability of truth before enveloping it as a part of who they are. The human mind is in constant motion, always fluctuating and with possessing cognitive reasoning, there is no humility in being proved false. After all, not everyone contains the same knowledge, we all have our own genre of expertise. So rather than demeaning one another, we can instead learn from one another as everyone has something to offer.


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:



Religion has always been a tough sell but wouldn't you also agree that the extremely religious are just as nonsensical as those who are extreme evolutionists? Both sides offer tantalizing proofs but neither are actually sound. After all, the missing link of the human species is of course, still missing, and the proof that Jesus ever existed is still under rubble itself. They both come down to a matter of belief and a matter of instilled value.

One offers ease to our greatest fears while the other offers some answers to our relative universe. Choosing to place hope in the former allows you security for the future. Choosing to place hope in the latter allows you security in the present. The choices people make says a lot about who they are personally. You can't chalk up those who are on the other side of the fence as impudent bumpkins because your side still contains its mysteries as well. But I say, allow yourself to leave the doors and windows of your mind open and you should be fine wherever you stand.
Posted 2/10/09

DYxForever wrote:

Power struggles stem from intelligence itself,and many other things as well.


Aristotle once said that the common man's happiness derives from knowledge through action. Slamming the point across that man (common) refuses to learn for the sake of intelligence, rather, for what intelligence reaps. So with that preset in mind, do we consider a man who is clever enough to hold the strings behind the benefits of intelligent (but he himself has no interest nor knowledge in the matter) beings to be intelligent himself?

13326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Terra
Offline
Posted 2/10/09 , edited 2/10/09
we no longer live in a "survival of the fittest" community, hence, intelligent people would be treated as a threat to the society that are composed of herds of sheeps which only follows the people that have a better persuasive skill with the lack of intelligence...

humanity as of today is on the roadway to doomsday...

democracy is a 100% failure while autocracy have a 50% chance of success...

13326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Terra
Offline
Posted 2/10/09

casualbrutality wrote:


DYxForever wrote:

Power struggles stem from intelligence itself,and many other things as well.


Aristotle once said that the common man's happiness derives from knowledge through action. Slamming the point across that man (common) refuses to learn for the sake of intelligence, rather, for what intelligence reaps. So with that preset in mind, do we consider a man who is clever enough to hold the strings behind the benefits of intelligent (but he himself has no interest nor knowledge in the matter) beings to be intelligent himself?



and socrates said “I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.”

it is true that all geniuses have one thing in common, they all spend tens of thousands of hours working on the things they became as genius on..

as it is said, if one doesnt work hard, even when gifted, one would become common and average in adulthood...

Posted 2/10/09

o0James0o wrote:

and socrates said “I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.”

it is true that all geniuses have one thing in common, they all spend tens of thousands of hours working on the things they became as genius on..

as it is said, if one doesnt work hard, even when gifted, one would become common and average in adulthood...



Mm, did Socrates ever claim that he was intelligent or was it the prophecy the oracle dawned upon him?

I hear children with ADHD are more susceptible to the genius syndrome.
13326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Terra
Offline
Posted 2/10/09 , edited 2/10/09

casualbrutality wrote:


o0James0o wrote:

and socrates said “I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.”

it is true that all geniuses have one thing in common, they all spend tens of thousands of hours working on the things they became as genius on..

as it is said, if one doesnt work hard, even when gifted, one would become common and average in adulthood...



Mm, did Socrates ever claim that he was intelligent or was it the prophecy the oracle dawned upon him?

I hear children with ADHD are more susceptible to the genius syndrome.


i know not rather he claimed to be intelligent for i do not know some guy thousands of years ago, but accordings to texts, he said the phrase... and like he said, to be intelligent, one must know that one doesnt know anything... hence, intelligent people seeks for knowledge..

i dont really know what adhd have to do with genius... but it is like i said, geniuses work hard to gain the title "genius" and even if they do have the natural talent, it is but a head start or advantage over others, if they do not take advantage of such talents, they would become common persons upon reaching adulthood...

i ask, how many child prodigies have officially known as geniuses when theyre old? pretty low rate if you ask me...
Posted 2/10/09
Because its what they feel....
Maybe he wants them to be taught by them
or unless
The person has a crush on that
or again i dont get it...
Posted 2/10/09

o0James0o wrote:

i know not rather he claimed to be intelligent for i do not know some guy thousands of years ago, but accordings to texts, he said the phrase... and like he said, to be intelligent, one must know that one doesnt know anything... hence, intelligent people seeks for knowledge..

i dont really know what adhd have to do with genius... but it is like i said, geniuses work hard to gain the title "genius" and even if they do have the natural talent, it is but a head start or advantage over others, if they do not take advantage of such talents, they would become common persons upon reaching adulthood...

i ask, how many child prodigies have officially known as geniuses when theyre old? pretty low rate if you ask me...


Socrates' disclaimer of a realistically based perception on his being is indeed, a very famous one which has endured being forgotten by the countless years following his death. Now, you say "intelligent people seeks for knowledge.." and my question to you is, how do you define who is and who isn't intelligent? By the context which you have inserted the adjective, you have distinguished a specific group of people rather than including the generalized whole, or so that is what I am perceiving. If my interpretation of your sentence holds true, would you deny that it is within human nature to seek answers to questions beyond and in our scope of comprehension? To seek knowledge is to gain answers so where do you draw the line of division between those who are simply satiating their curiosity (such as a child asking why the sky is blue) and those who are searching for the larger mechanisms of this universe (a scientist attempting to unlock the mysteries of a black hole)?

Well, there aren't that many child prodigies to begin with and who is to say that change isn't an inevitable factor which plays upon the child's interests as he progresses with age? I most certainly can testify that several of my childhood interests no longer hold a special key in my mind as of current, but that isn't to say that I haven't shifted my focus onto other matters and have made good strides towards that direction. Although there are few "official" land marks made in Wikipedia of grown child prodigies, you cannot push out the high probability that they still possess their tenacity in a favored subject. One has no need for a professional title dubbed by society in order to be skillful in a certain region.

Posted 2/11/09
Having intelligence is like having a lot of knowledge and knowledge is the greatest weapon any person can possess. Without knowledge you would have no clue how to operate a weapon or skillfully manipulate a firearm. Of course having knowledge can get you further than that though.
Posted 3/7/09

animemusicu wrote:

Because its what they feel....
Maybe he wants them to be taught by them
or unless
The person has a crush on that
or again i dont get it...


lol what do you not get?
1187 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Look.... im right...
Offline
Posted 3/7/09
What people dont respect is a bad attitude. A smart person who present himself as an as$hole does not get respect and is look down upon because of being an as$hole and not because him being smart.

An intelligent person though can be subjected to inappropriate criticism by those who are ignorant. But this does not mean they dont respect or look down upon the person, its just a means of expressing their own insecurities.

2724 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / big UK chinatown
Offline
Posted 3/8/09
i believe ignorance is bliss when you know to much your able to read everyone pick little bits of info and know what they are after. Also its hard to find a person who can stimulate you intellectually so people because they cant relate to you and subconsciously see you as a threat they hate you.

knowledge is also power intelligence is a double edged sword.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.