First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
Post Reply Do you think you have to act a certain way because of your race?
Superstar Artist
13788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / In a recession
Offline
Posted 12/8/07 , edited 12/8/07
I'm Black and often I am criticized because either I don't really listen to R&B or Rap that "often" as I should becuase I mostly listen to Electro and Dance! And yes I have a Bachelor's Degree and to N****** in the ghetto they think I'm uppity and rich..... I'm wondering does anyone out there have these societal POV's or stereotypes placed on them...........
Fan
4328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / for the love of g...
Offline
Posted 12/8/07
No! I'm southasian/arabic (from indian and maghrebian descent) and i don't act stereotypically. (I don't have an "immigrant" accent, nor do i strap bombs on my chest for my religion) When you belong to a race, people assume you're all the same, have similar interests and attitudes >.< Even the people who belong to your own race! There's so much ignorance about that and too many generalizations. We can't really do anything about it.

Since i don't know what it's like to live in your environment, i can't really say anything, except for what's wrong with a black person being educated and having degrees? -__- I never really knew that black people had more problems with money and education, because i'm surrounded by intelligent and respectable black people. I never actually met a typical "ghetto" person. If some people from your own race actually think that, then those people are really narrow-minded.

I get it alot too. "Omfg, you're from India?? Can you charm a snake? Why can't you cook curry the way I do? Why don't you dance with elephants and look like a complete asstard?"

Though there are some cultural differences and practices that we should be aware of and keep doing (from your heritage, blah etc), personalities and attitudes shouldn't affect our races.

I posted like a freaking book sorry..
Superstar Artist
12460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
102 / M
Offline
Posted 12/8/07
Don't be. Long responses are very necessary.

I'm what people would call a "mut". I don't know about yall, but I find that shit mad offensive. The only other creatures that are called muts are dogs. And I refuse to have someone call me something they would call a dog.

On my mother's side is Black, Cuban, and White.

On my father's side is Black, Cherokee, and Jamaican.

I tell people these things and they act like they've just seen a ghost. "Dude you're freaking EVERYTHING!!" -_-

It's the year 2007, and society STILL finds multicultural people to be "strange" and "fascinating".

I can point out dozens of white people that have black people in their ancestory, but they'd be fuckin outraged.

I guess this world will always have ignorant brainless media driven fools.
Posted 12/8/07

raja613 wrote:

I'm Black and often I am criticized because either I don't really listen to R&B or Rap that "often" as I should becuase I mostly listen to Electro and Dance! And yes I have a Bachelor's Degree and to N****** in the ghetto they think I'm uppity and rich..... I'm wondering does anyone out there have these societal POV's or stereotypes placed on them...........


I commend you on you're degree (not that i know what it is in) But the fact you managed to stick college out for 4 years is more than the majority if Americans can say.

This is why i feel some sympathetic for the black community the majority of them let stereotypes run and ruin their life.

You've risen above from what most people see as a dead end situation.
I hear black people say all the time about how the streets of wherever they are from is a dead end for them and they never had a chance. So that's their excuse for running the streets doing illegal tasks for money (stealing, dealing drugs, murder) and "hustlin"

Thats really just a standard run of the mill excuse for them because they want to idolize what they hear about in most mainstream hip hop today sadly. Nearly every single mainstream hip hop artist glorifies life on the streets

So no one values their own education because they are lead to believe all of the said examples above are where what they think their peers will deem as "success" is @.

But i really do feel the black community is starting to push back against those awful stereotypes the biggest proof of that is the fact Hip Hop record sales are the lowest they've been in nearly 17 years and FINALLY Genuinely talented artists with very positive and intelligent msgs such as Saigon, Talib Kweli and Asheru are gaining recognition in the "mainstream" light.

I think the black community here within the next few years will be going through a renaissance of their own and trying to correct the mistakes and lack of effort put forth to further their community in the past 40 years from the previous generations.

Trevor (OP)


Superstar Artist
21295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Gotham City
Offline
Posted 12/8/07
naw fam........itz not the color itz who u r..........it dont matter watt your race is.....itz the individual....just cuz one nikka rob a bank dont mean u cant go to skool an get an education.....
Superstar Artist
12460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
102 / M
Offline
Posted 12/8/07

kyocool wrote:


raja613 wrote:

I'm Black and often I am criticized because either I don't really listen to R&B or Rap that "often" as I should becuase I mostly listen to Electro and Dance! And yes I have a Bachelor's Degree and to N****** in the ghetto they think I'm uppity and rich..... I'm wondering does anyone out there have these societal POV's or stereotypes placed on them...........


I commend you on you're degree (not that i know what it is in) But the fact you managed to stick college out for 4 years is more than the majority if Americans can say.

This is why i feel some sympathetic for the black community the majority of them let stereotypes run and ruin their life.

You've risen above from what most people see as a dead end situation.
I hear black people say all the time about how the streets of wherever they are from is a dead end for them and they never had a chance. So that's their excuse for running the streets doing illegal tasks for money (stealing, dealing drugs, murder) and "hustlin"

Thats really just a standard run of the mill excuse for them because they want to idolize what they hear about in most mainstream hip hop today sadly. Nearly every single mainstream hip hop artist glorifies life on the streets

So no one values their own education because they are lead to believe all of the said examples above are where what they think their peers will deem as "success" is @.

But i really do feel the black community is starting to push back against those awful stereotypes the biggest proof of that is the fact Hip Hop record sales are the lowest they've been in nearly 17 years and FINALLY Genuinely talented artists with very positive and intelligent msgs such as Saigon, Talib Kweli and Asheru are gaining recognition in the "mainstream" light.

I think the black community here within the next few years will be going through a renaissance of their own and trying to correct the mistakes and lack of effort put forth to further their community in the past 40 years from the previous generations.

Trevor (OP)




Good point.

I see a major change occuring in the next few years as well.

In order to defeat stereotypes, one must rise above them, not sink below them.
46288 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 12/8/07

X-cept_your_Fate wrote:

naw fam........itz not the color itz who u r..........it dont matter watt your race is.....itz the individual....just cuz one nikka rob a bank dont mean u cant go to skool an get an education.....


Agreed. And just because you listen to Electro and Dance don't mean nothing, it just means you are diversed when it comes to music. And, who says a race is suppose to just like a certain genre? I listen to all types, except for heavy metal because of my ears, lol. You go on with your bad self for getting a degree, can't wait to finish and get mine. I agree that like if they see one person does this for a race, they believe the whole race acts like that, and that's stupid. Where, I live at now, not many African Americans live here, and where I use to live, it was diverse, and it is diverse here, but not enough. I mean if you see a African American today at where I live, I mean they are happy, asking how you doing everything. It's already in our nature to do that, but you rarely see a black person here, and it makes you happy to see one. And, where I am living at, no offense, not many of them are use to African Americans. I even remember hearing one time, that the school they graduated from, hardly any black people went there. It is just where you live at. Most of the time, I end up just being the only other race in my class, got to get use to the stares sometimes. But, I don't end up getting all mad or anything, because if that was the case, I would of missed out on some good friendships, just had to realize not many people grew up with other different races like I did.

Also, some people don't want to believe they have other races in their family. There is just no way, anyone can be purely one race anymore. I mean I have complete white cousins. I mean there is just no way anyone can say I am just this race only and that is the only race our family has, lol.

About that can you charm a snake, some people are stupid. I remember my boss telling us that there was this Native American Museum, and some people wanted to see a real indian, and the person who worked there would point out that the people that worked there were indians, and the people would go ask do you live in a teepee, and couldn't believe they lived in a house, no offense to them, but why ask a question like that.
Superstar Artist
21295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Gotham City
Offline
Posted 12/8/07
I could not have said it better my self. a race, or even music for that matter, does not determin who you are. Only one self can define who you are and their identity!
Fan
677 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / The land of the g...
Offline
Posted 12/8/07
Nope dont think so.........
CEO
24732 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 12/8/07
Honestly some people do, i think this mostly occurs in grade school, we all know how the politics of high school are.... But me i dont give a damn what most people think of me as long as im happy wit myself, which i am, plus i like being different
Superstar Artist
13788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / In a recession
Offline
Posted 12/8/07
Why thanxs everyone.....I just wanted to know if other people deal with the stigma of stereotypes placed on their race.........I started this forum because I have been job hunting since May and I have applied to over 150 jobs where I am and i went on a interview for a desk job.........and when I was trying to explain to the lady about my credentials she simply asked "Do you like chicken?"........When she asked me that I was thrown off and of course I thought she was starting small talk but she went on to look at my job now.....mind you i had been working for KFC for the past 4 years not by choice though just for convinence since I was in school.....but she completely ignored my degree which is in (Political Science/Pre-Law) and said the my experience with working with chicken was not the kind of experience I needed for a job........after that i kindly cussed her out and left........but the point is.....sorry about the long elaborate story.....that I do not want to be judged with my race but as a part of my race

And Jak it may be easy to not give a damn about what people think unless it affects you personally from doing certain things.
CEO
24732 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 12/8/07

And Jak it may be easy to not give a damn about what people think unless it affects you personally from doing certain things.


it has enough to the point where i've embraced the philosophy that it just wasnt meant for me & that there is something better out there where im supposed to be... IN A NUTSHELL
Fan
9851 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / THE MECA OF ANIME
Offline
Posted 12/9/07

crasyjak wrote:

Honestly some people do, i think this mostly occurs in grade school, we all know how the politics of high school are.... But me i dont give a damn what most people think of me as long as im happy wit myself, which i am, plus i like being different


same with me! i dont like being a follower i like 2 be different!
Superstar Artist
13788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / In a recession
Offline
Posted 12/9/07
And yes that's sucha great and positive way of thinking.........but what if you really wanted something.........you can't posibly have that positive outloook!
CEO
24732 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 12/9/07

raja613 wrote:

And yes that's sucha great and positive way of thinking.........but what if you really wanted something.........you can't posibly have that positive outloook!


???QUE??? positivity flows from every oraphus of my body LOL ewww
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.