First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Twilight is an anime ripoff.
11728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 11/24/08 , edited 11/30/08
Who else here thinks that Twilight and its sequels/spinoff movies/collectible mugs are a total ripoff of various anime that have been around for years? Like.. in terms of vampires and humans in taboo relationships, and similar themes like that. Erm.. the one that I can think of the most quickly would be Vampire Knight, and there are others too. Vampires have been common in anime and manga for a while, especially with the romance aspect. Any other examples you can think of?

EDIT:
After leaving this can of worms to simmer overnight, I guess I was mistaken in calling Twilight a ripoff. HOWEVER, while I don't think that the author of Twilight literally ripped off one anime in particular, I do believe she's riding on the coattails of a lame fad, started by other media. It's all a pretty bad cliche.

EDIT EDIT:
I apologize for mentioning Vampire Knight. I never directly compared VK and Twilight. I was just trying to refer to vampire anime in general, who's popularity have helped to create the fangirl fanbase that helped Twilight to reach the heights that it has.

EDIT3:
All right all right allrite. I admit it. I was wrong. Twilight isn't an anime ripoff. I started not making sense anymore, since I realized that it IS a bit of a stretch to say that Stephanie Meyer was DIRECTLY influenced by anime. (Although whether she was indirectly influenced, or whether the movie's release was directly influenced is still up in the air). However, I still think it's a kinda sleazy book filled with stereotypes and a shocking absence of plot and sensemake. Also, the arguments are just getting repeated now, since the thread has become unmanageably large, making it impossible for someone to read all the posts, then make an informed reply. So I guess it's a good time to stop. Since that matter is settled, this is merely a Twilight hate thread now, and doesn't belong in the anime section. Therefore, someone please put this mess out of its misery.
27158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / 大迷宮
Offline
Posted 11/24/08 , edited 11/24/08
Just because it's related to Vampires, doesn't mean that it's a rip-off of a certain anime.
But I wish it was. I despise that novel.

and not to mention how they ruined the mythology of Vampires.
1386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Right behind you!
Offline
Posted 11/24/08
Twilight is just an over glorified fan fiction.
164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Right behind you
Offline
Posted 11/24/08
just because the storyline is similiar to a couple anime's doesnt mean
its a ripoff
._.
83790 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / at the Earls wait
Offline
Posted 11/24/08

Nakapagpabagabag wrote:

Just because it's related to Vampires, doesn't mean that it's a rip-off of a certain anime.
But I wish it was. I despise that novel.

and not to mention how they ruined the mythology of Vampires.


have not read it nor do i plan on it but how does it ruin the mythology of vampires
38556 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / The place where o...
Offline
Posted 11/24/08
i dont care
doesnt seem interesting to me since they make those vamp pretty much untouchable from human
garlic, cross, holy waters, stake dont work on them
that sucked
Posted 11/24/08
I recommend reading this. It pretty much sums up how bad this movie and the book are to the vampire genre
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39195
27158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / 大迷宮
Offline
Posted 11/24/08

akumalevel4 wrote:


Nakapagpabagabag wrote:

Just because it's related to Vampires, doesn't mean that it's a rip-off of a certain anime.
But I wish it was. I despise that novel.

and not to mention how they ruined the mythology of Vampires.


have not read it nor do i plan on it but how does it ruin the mythology of vampires


They can walk through Daylight, as I heard from those daring fangirls as they talk about it everywhere.
.. which kinda ruined my vision on how I look up to Vampires.
11728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 11/24/08

TheUndeadLord wrote:

Twilight is stupid. VK is stupid.


I'd have to agree. I'm not a fan of either. I just noticed the similarities.

2309 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76
Offline
Posted 11/24/08
gosh waste of time....who cares -.- Twilight is amazing nyways I don't care if it's ripoff or s**t. gosh....why would u bother about that...
9024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / tabi tabi
Offline
Posted 11/24/08
i thought they drink menstal blood?
the guy at the twilight
lkmjr 
56513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Dreamland....
Offline
Posted 11/24/08
I disagree. I highly doubt Stephenie Meyer watched VK or something and said "Oh, look, it has a good plot. A hot vampire and a human. Now all I have to do is write a book with the same plot and PRESTO! instant fans." Even though there are several animes (well, actually I can only think of Vampire Knight) that have a similar plot, I think "ripoff" is a bit harsh.

Why is it that all anime fans seem to either adore or hate the books?? I thought they were pretty good, though not worth obsessing over. In a hateful way or an adoring one.
12090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/24/08
i don't know maybe it is
1604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / iN tHaT tInY bLuE...
Offline
Posted 11/24/08
do u kno haow many vampire stories are out there. The only thing vampire knight and twilight have in common are vampires who by the way aren't very similar( no such thing as "level e" in twilight). the idea of vampires have been around for over 100 yrs. okay both vampires can walk in daylight, but no such thing as a bloody rose in twilight or turning human into "normal Vampires." im a fan of both vampire knight and twilight and i don't think their similar
1675 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / home
Offline
Posted 11/24/08

riku911 wrote:

i dont care
doesnt seem interesting to me since they make those vamp pretty much untouchable from human
garlic, cross, holy waters, stake dont work on them
that sucked[/quote

for the record anyone would die if they get stab with a stake to the heart...I always wondered why that was only ment for vampires...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.