First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Was Slavery all that bad?
Posted 11/27/08 , edited 11/27/08

IrisChan7 wrote:


ShroomInferno wrote:

See, I am pretty sure that the African Americans of today are rather happy of what they got..or would they want to use tree leafs when having their period?
If I were in Africa, it doesn't mean that I would be in the jungle using tree leaves. Not all of Africa looks like a set from a Tarzan movie.


ShroomInferno wrote:
Saying that something bad had also a good outcome ain't racist.
Trying to justify it certainly is.


ShroomInferno wrote:
It's just that thanks to the need of slaves, those African people got transported to the New Continent, the start was surely not nice, but the end effect of this whole issue has turned out to be rather nice, don't you think so too?
It has turned out nice for whom? Not for the slaves, and not for those who lived through segregation.



Where would you be? In Cape Town? The majority of Africa's population is living in poverty, uneducated, infected with HIV, or some other shit. The chances of getting a good education, not even speaking of getting a good job, is rather low.

It's not being justified, it's just being analysed. Disregarding the OP's bad choice of words, when we look at it from an objective point of view, it turned out to be rather prosperous for the future generations of those slaves, who had, sadly, to go through this shit.

But there is always someone who has to suffer for the good of the others, or future generations, no matter what race.

It's being over dramatised. Some Caucasian kids in Europe had it worse than some of those African-American slaves. Those times back then were bad for everyone, for some more for some less.

At least the African Americans didn't die out, nor will die out any time soon, not like the Native Americans who are pretty much gone, and where a vast majority of their population got eradicated.



HayatellAyasaki wrote:
You've got a valid point there: Africans are having a hard time compared to African-American nowadays. Yes, objectively correct. However that is just a convenient way to support the facts in this context which basically means the end justifies everything.

So African slaves in America were optimistic about their future? I wonder. Because it is obvious they knew their children would have a good future in this country, maybe some did, but the vastly majority didn't give a shit, because they were in a nightmare: living things, working and doing whatever they were told to.

How would you feel in such situation? I mean the future is uncertain. Hm, nobody here ever mentioned this? My lord, people sure like to spit nonsensical crap without having a full picture of the matter.

They were treated well? I agree that the Hollywood image of 'slavery' can't be taken into consideration in this, and most cases. It is laughable. But one thing is for sure they (slaves) weren't treated all that well like the Op thinks.

Supported by facts: slavery affects not only the body (physically,) but also the mind of the person. Did you know stress is bad for your health and mental health? It is bad, no matter how good the person is treated. I wonder if some people would still defend this fact if it were the other way around: Africans enslaving your own race (Asian, Hispanic, etc.)


Africans always had a hard time, whether it was just yesterday, or a few centuries ago. Who says that they'd have a much better life if they'd remain in their own continent? Chances that some rival tribe would eat you up, or kill you, or enslave you, or use your life for some barbaric rites, or some other shit, were rather high at that time.

Yes, the future is uncertain. And it's understandable if there is still a grudge in them; hatred towards the White man. It's their good right. But whether you like it or not, every nation had to go through some shit at some point in history. It's just one of the many tragedies that happened, or still may happen in this world.

I'd feel bad, and I'd try everything to escape from this terrible fate. Most probably. But I don't really know, since I never had to go through slavery. ; )

Err....I don't remember that I said that they were "treated well" And I can assure you that I'd never say something like that, as it's untrue, unless I badly formulated one of my sentences....~ I am not sure..if you're referring to me..just in case you was..>_>

Everything has side-effects. Nothing new.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All in all, Slavery in itself is bad, immoral, and just simply said: wrong. And it's something I'd never want to go through, that's for sure. But I just don't like how this is being over dramatised. Why do I never hear people whine about what kind of terrible fate the Native Americans had? Or the poor, parent-less kids who were forced into labour, Charles Dickens didn't make this up.

All I can do is admire the fact that the African Americans no matter what shit they had to go through never gave up, seemingly having a never ending physical and mental strength.

Lets learn from our mistakes made in the past, and make it a better future.
If we keep on crying, and rolling our thoughts in the dust of the past, then we will never be able to live to the fullest and enjoy life.
58908 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / orlando, fl
Offline
Posted 11/27/08

lonely_devil wrote:


mudduck454 wrote:


lonely_devil wrote:

wait.. what history book are u reading? Do you have any idea what they actually had 2 do? They got up as soon as the sun was up and didn't go back inside till they couldn't see(depended on the season). They had to work through the smothering heat all day long in the fields with the watchers constantly watching them so they didn't take a break. The women were raped by the watchers continuously, I live in the south of the US and we were fully educated on what whites did to blacks back in the day and I'm fully ashamed of it.
eh, i just realized i've been talking about the slavery in the USA, i actually dont know much about slavery in other countries so..<.<


you see here is were things get complicated, i live in the south also and let me tell you my family is from the birth place of the confederacy, i can say this without second guessing it, you have been blinded by the propaganda that our government gives you,

do you think they would tell you the truth if slavery was really not that bad, now dont get me wrong, i believe that slavery was wrong, but to believe what you read, from a government issued book, is crazy, the south was not that bad, and i agree there were a few bad slave owners that treated their slaves harshly, and that is wat our history books focus on, but there were a lot more instances of slaves being treated just like family, and were givin proper health care, and if the civil war was fought over slavery, which it wasn't, then why did black men sign up to fight for the south, and when they died in battle they were buried with honors, complete with a ceremony, so you tell me if the south was that bad then why would they do that, and yes alot of slaves were freed by their owners after years of faithful service,

ignorance is bliss, but believing what you read in a book by a governing body is just plain stupid, the government just wants us to be seperate, you know we wouldn't have black slaves if their own people didnt sell their own kind to the outsiders, so who was the real bad person then,


I had a feeling that most of what I was being taught in history about the civil war wasn't all that true & sure enough.. Well, thanks 4 clearing that up, I'll be doing a lot of research on the civil war now, no wonder everyones calling my generation a bunch of idiots, i feel like an idiot.


your not an idiot, your are just being missinformed by a government thats wants you to only know about things that they want you to know about, im just lucky to have come from a family that has knowledge of the cival war, and my uncle danny has a museum dedicated to the cival war, it is located in the white oak area of fredericksburg, VA, he is very knowledgeable on the cival war,

so dont think of yourself as an idiot, just remember that you are being missinformed by the government,

and as for slavery yes it was wrong, but young black americans of today have no idea how good they have it now, go and find an old black man in his 80's or older and talk to him, you will get a whole differant outlook on how it is for a black person today compared to back then,

the only segregation happening now is by choice, thats why there are all black colleges, and black college spring break reuion, they chose to segragate themselves, and use racisim and hate as an excuse,
if black people want to not be considered black, then stop calling themselves black and seperating themselves from the rest of society, im part native american but i dont distinguish myself as such, i am american, plain and simple, i treat others the same, no matter the race color or religion, i treat people the way they treat me, be an asshole to me, then i give it right back,

lets stop concentrating about the past misstakes of people long dead, and cannot change, lets work together into the future,
as one race of humans, and not a bunch of differant people, who think the are differant just because we look or sound differant, we all have the same organs and blood on the inside,

man can i go off on a subject, i can do this all day but i better stop now

397 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 11/27/08

LemonyPanda wrote:

I was studying slavery in history right now and i've noticed that slavery wasn't all that bad. I mean of course its bad but its not as bad as people thought. MOST masters treated their slaves pretty well (they didn't let them do dangerous work because slaves are property and don't want to lose value in their property) and a lot of them were eventually freed by saving up their own money. Some white people in the free states were actually worse because as the industrial revolution came to be, there were thousands of workers working for 14 hours a day with only a 30 minute lunch break and only sunday off. There were no safety requirements so people were gettting their hands chopped off and were forced to live in crowded small rooms with 20 other strangers they haven't met before. A lot of people got sick because of the sanitary conditions and once you were sick/had your hand chopped off, you were no longer needed and therefore were kicked out onto the streets crippled and without a home. At least if you were a slave, you were fed, got to work in the open air, and were taken care of until you got old. Its only because of books like uncle tom's cabin and such that made slavery seem like torture



Whether the living conditions of slaves are better than another group of people is a secondary concern for those against slavery. You are comparing 2 groups of people who were exploited. They both needed help. They each had their share of problems. Comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges. One huge difference between the two is that ideologically, laborers are more acceptable than slaves, which is why they only really needed to take care of the practical issues with laborers. Slavery on the other hand makes a group of people sub-human, which is clearly not in line with the idea of equality. Putting one human being at the complete whim of another is not a good idea.

And you do realize what you posted sounded quite contradictory don't you? A lot of slaves were eventually freed, but getting freedom seems to be worse for them since these people now had to work 14 hours a day with only a 30 minute lunch break and only Sunday off. There were also no safety requirements for them, so they got their hands chopped off and they would be forced to live in crowded small rooms with 20 other strangers they hadn't met before. So why would these slaves want to be free then? You don't think just because they were free they were suddenly rich do you?

This may mean that despite the harsh working conditions faced by the laborers, the slaves saw it as an improvement, which is why they would save up for it. Or that most laborers actually don't get it that bad; factory owners, like slave owners, may value their employees too. Either that or all these slaves were unbelievably stupid.
Posted 11/27/08
*sarcastic* oh yea slavery was awesome, lets do it again...
9584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / In Memphis, with...
Offline
Posted 11/27/08

ShroomInferno wrote:




Ha ha ha sorry, sorry. Part of that quote was directed to the main idea of the OP. It seems quoting multi-quoting makes it all complicated.
475 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / france
Offline
Posted 11/27/08
of course, it's easier to destroy than to build and our civilization was just consuming others complaining what a big lost it was now
what they "bring" was at the highest price
102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 11/27/08

LemonyPanda wrote:


serealj wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:
statistics CAN be history, you can interpret them yourself. and i doubt anyone would mess up original documents especially if they are legal documents


yes, and that interpretation is bias.



not every bit of history is biased. You can't argue with solid facts. For example if I say Andrew Jackson was a frontiersman and supported the common man, you can't say anything against it. HOWEVER if I say something like Andrew jackson created a democracy in America, THEN you can debate with me by saying something like no it wasn't until 1848 because thats when more han half the people of America voted or something like that


You're missing the point. We cannot argue about dates, they are for the most part written in stone. We can argue
about the importance of said event. Russia defeating the Nazi's; was that a important turning point in WWII? You could argue either way, and I may disagree with you. If I present no credible sources for my argument, then it's moot, if you don't your argument is moot.
The reality of history is, it is all up for discussion, there are no correct answers, only more correct ones.

Highschool history courses not go into enough depth on topics. It does not talk about the importance of events(great WWII happened, so what? how is this important?). US history is taught much different from a left wing teacher than a right wing teacher. Canadian history is taught different in the US. What ever your personal
point of view is, you need to look at it from a critical thinking point of view, concentrate on how you are wrong more so than how you are right. You need to be able to back up your arguments, which you have not. You need to address both sides of the argument, which you did not. All you have done is express your personal thoughts, which to be honest, make you sound like a idiot.

If you are opening the racial can of worms you should expect a huge amount of counter arguments and be ready for them. If you aren't then you should keep your mouth shut.
14437 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
71
Offline
Posted 11/27/08

mudduck454 wrote:

you see here is were things get compicated, i live in the south also and let me tell you my family is from the birth place of the confederacy, i can say this without second guessing it, you have been blinded by the propaganda that our government gives you

ignerance is bliss, but believing what you read in a book by a governing body is just plain stupid


I'm just curious, how do you know that you haven't been blinded by propaganda? Ok you're not believing anything the government says, that doesn't make you immune to ideology. Totally shutting out one source doesn't make everything else true.
Why is something produced by a government body automatically false?
13258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / O.C. So.Cal
Offline
Posted 11/27/08

juspasby wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


juspasby wrote:

FUCK NO!!! slavery is what keep this country going


omg arent you so funny arent you. your so tough you don't let society corrupt you, your a real G




im srry u want to buy some slaves?


will give me a free blowjob if I buy five?
4769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M
Offline
Posted 11/27/08

LemonyPanda wrote:


juspasby wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


juspasby wrote:

FUCK NO!!! slavery is what keep this country going


omg arent you so funny arent you. your so tough you don't let society corrupt you, your a real G




im srry u want to buy some slaves?


will give me a free blowjob if I buy five?


well u need a dick for that, but ill sale u some for cheap
13258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / O.C. So.Cal
Offline
Posted 11/27/08

juspasby wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


juspasby wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


juspasby wrote:

FUCK NO!!! slavery is what keep this country going


omg arent you so funny arent you. your so tough you don't let society corrupt you, your a real G




im srry u want to buy some slaves?


will give me a free blowjob if I buy five?


well u need a dick for that, but ill sale u some for cheap


o dont worry i have a dick...let me just pull it out of your ass real quick
4769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M
Offline
Posted 11/27/08

LemonyPanda wrote:


juspasby wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


juspasby wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


juspasby wrote:

FUCK NO!!! slavery is what keep this country going


omg arent you so funny arent you. your so tough you don't let society corrupt you, your a real G




im srry u want to buy some slaves?


will give me a free blowjob if I buy five?


well u need a dick for that, but ill sale u some for cheap


o dont worry i have a dick...let me just pull it out of your ass real quick


thats a clitoris....my silly girl
13258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / O.C. So.Cal
Offline
Posted 11/27/08 , edited 11/27/08

juspasby wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


juspasby wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


juspasby wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


juspasby wrote:

FUCK NO!!! slavery is what keep this country going


omg arent you so funny arent you. your so tough you don't let society corrupt you, your a real G




im srry u want to buy some slaves?


will give me a free blowjob if I buy five?


well u need a dick for that, but ill sale u some for cheap


o dont worry i have a dick...let me just pull it out of your ass real quick


thats a clitoris....my silly girl


which is why your on your knees moaning in pain begging for mercy right?
4208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / David's bed, snif...
Offline
Posted 11/27/08
Slavery is terrible. I mean, sure it provides labor for no cost and promotes productivity on land....but slaves really were treated horribly.

For example, even in Rome slaves were treated badly. Sure, they could gain citizenship after they were released. However, a master had the right to kill the slaves if they wanted to. Think about it from a slave's perspective. They were forced to work and were provided with close to nothing. They were beaten frequently. Does that sound like a fun life to live? Slavery is terrible by benefiting one person at the expense of another.
3053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Box
Offline
Posted 11/27/08
OP is a fucktard. Don't even get me started on this...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.