First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Censoring books is ruining the world.
173 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / anywhere SWAT can...
Offline
Posted 12/8/07
I have one thing to say about this subject of censorship the Nazi "Burning of The Books"
while that was an extremist action I believe that is not far in coming in America
8715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 12/8/07

DKangN3 wrote:

"Niggard" was in no way a contributor to the word nigger. It stemmed directly from "negro".

I can see how that might have made sense to you since you seem to think all black people are stupid, Hokie, but that's a false statement.


Well seriously, if you would think for at least a second. You'd notice something, I didn't create the word nigger. It was racist white people who made it up, so if you hate a race.... why not think that race is stupid?
4688 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Palm Beach, Florida
Offline
Posted 12/8/07
^Generalization is bad.


wolzen wrote:

lol i know whats the big deal with calling a black person a nigger,nigga,niggar,nig,niglet those things call each other that all the time anyways


It becomes a big deal when racism is factored into using that word/s. It's not a big deal [in my own opinion] when it is used under friendly terms. Anyway yes censorship is bad.


HokiePokie wrote:

Niger come from negro and niggard. Negro is black. Niggard means stupid. Mix the two, and you got nigger.



There have been several controversies about the word "niggardly", an adjective meaning "stingy" or "miserly", in the United States due to the phonetic similarity to the racial slur "nigger". The two words are otherwise unrelated.

"Niggardly" (noun: "niggard") is an adjective meaning "stingy" or "miserly", related to the Norwegian verb nigle. It is cognate with "niggling", meaning "petty" or "unimportant", as in "the niggling details".


"Nigger" derives from the Spanish/Portuguese word negro, meaning "black", and probably also the French nègre, which is likewise a racist insult derived from negro (the ordinary French word for "black" being noir). Both negro and noir (and therefore also nègre and nigger) ultimately come from nigrum, the accusative form of the Latin word niger, meaning "black".
13903 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 12/8/07
Ok but is it really censored?

It's not like you are forbidden to buy it at Borders or Barnes and Nobles or as if publishing those selected titles are banned for life.

They just took it off the school's libraries and off the curriculum because they have reason to believe that additional exposure to what may even seem like nothing to you folks (robbery, even witchcraft) may or will compel children to behave like so. They already have movies and TV doing that and to introduce it in a classroom setting may appear like encouragement because younger students are not as mature as they think they already are.

I don't think the board of education are doing this with malintent, but as always, people will automatically assume the worst. I do see where the majority of you get your ideas from, but I do wonder if you guys considered their points of view.

I am also an avid reader but I am not at all worried about this so-called "censorship" because that is hardly what it is. This is too far a cry from "Burning of the Books" but I guess you guys are THAT sensitive.

1947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Desu~, Desu~
Offline
Posted 12/8/07

flippizzle wrote:

Ok but is it really censored?

It's not like you are forbidden to buy it at Borders or Barnes and Nobles or as if publishing those selected titles are banned for life.

They just took it off the school's libraries and off the curriculum because they have reason to believe that additional exposure to what may even seem like nothing to you folks (robbery, even witchcraft) may or will compel children to behave like so. They already have movies and TV doing that and to introduce it in a classroom setting may appear like encouragement because younger students are not as mature as they think they already are.

I don't think the board of education are doing this with malintent, but as always, people will automatically assume the worst. I do see where the majority of you get your ideas from, but I do wonder if you guys considered their points of view.

I am also an avid reader but I am not at all worried about this so-called "censorship" because that is hardly what it is. This is too far a cry from "Burning of the Books" but I guess you guys are THAT sensitive.



The school is choosing this for the kids, reguardless of what the parents or kids think. Most of the time, if a few parents are upset with what their kid is reading, and they complain, the school will get rid of the book for ALL the kids.
What bugs me the most, is that they continue to do this throughout middle and highschool. If books MUST be censored IN ANY place, its in grade schoolm for those kids are young.

But certain parts of history are taken out of text books as well. I don;t think we can trust our "schools" with the education of our kids anymore, when they are censoring our own history in the text books.

1704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / California
Offline
Posted 12/8/07
I think what you're trying to imply Hokie, is that you don't actually condone your definition -- alright.

I just didn't want your claim to have perpetuated false beliefs among the unknowning and affirmed the ignorent.
13903 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 12/8/07

Michi_Michi wrote:


flippizzle wrote:

Ok but is it really censored?

It's not like you are forbidden to buy it at Borders or Barnes and Nobles or as if publishing those selected titles are banned for life.

They just took it off the school's libraries and off the curriculum because they have reason to believe that additional exposure to what may even seem like nothing to you folks (robbery, even witchcraft) may or will compel children to behave like so. They already have movies and TV doing that and to introduce it in a classroom setting may appear like encouragement because younger students are not as mature as they think they already are.

I don't think the board of education are doing this with malintent, but as always, people will automatically assume the worst. I do see where the majority of you get your ideas from, but I do wonder if you guys considered their points of view.

I am also an avid reader but I am not at all worried about this so-called "censorship" because that is hardly what it is. This is too far a cry from "Burning of the Books" but I guess you guys are THAT sensitive.



The school is choosing this for the kids, reguardless of what the parents or kids think. Most of the time, if a few parents are upset with what their kid is reading, and they complain, the school will get rid of the book for ALL the kids.
What bugs me the most, is that they continue to do this throughout middle and highschool. If books MUST be censored IN ANY place, its in grade schoolm for those kids are young.

But certain parts of history are taken out of text books as well. I don;t think we can trust our "schools" with the education of our kids anymore, when they are censoring our own history in the text books.



If you can't trust the very foundation of education, who can you trust?

My point was it doesn't matter if they are barred from school libraries because you still have the freedom of reading/purchasing the book from your local bookstore, regardless of what grade in school you are.

It is rather sad though that the majority has to suffer for the few.. but that's just how it is.. for now.

And don't fret. In college, you are not deprived of your history. As a matter of fact, you are bombarded with a lot. A lot that you've never learned in highschool. So much that you might even bite your tongue for scrutinizing the lack of history in your typical high school textbook =(

You are only fed what the majority of your age group is able to handle, but that shouldn't stop you from expanding your studies. There is a lot of reforming that needs to be done in the Education Department, but you can only take one step at a time =/
1947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Desu~, Desu~
Offline
Posted 12/8/07
That is a generalization. If 70% of students in the class are average and 30% are abovr average, all should learn what there age group can handle, instead of challenging the advanced students and giving them more. I am in "enriched" classes, and I'm not learning anything more than when I wasn't. Not every 13 year old can't handle knowing the truth about our history. A small kid might, but a 13 year old should. But, the kids in our country are getting more immature by the second, I belive, so I may be wrong.
Posted 12/8/07

Michi_Michi wrote:

That is a generalization. If 70% of students in the class are average and 30% are abovr average, all should learn what there age group can handle, instead of challenging the advanced students and giving them more. I am in "enriched" classes, and I'm not learning anything more than when I wasn't. Not every 13 year old can't handle knowing the truth about our history. A small kid might, but a 13 year old should. But, the kids in our country are getting more immature by the second, I belive, so I may be wrong.


Excellent point. Unfortunely, kids these days are becoming more immature and rude. Honestly, one would be surprized to see what the history books hide in all the years of education. Its time for kids to grow up and understand life isn't a game.
26426 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / dime's graveyard...
Offline
Posted 12/8/07
yeah...they censored it because of explicit contents...
4404 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Icecream land >:P
Offline
Posted 12/8/07
i hate censors its retarded
13903 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 12/8/07

Michi_Michi wrote:

That is a generalization. If 70% of students in the class are average and 30% are abovr average, all should learn what there age group can handle, instead of challenging the advanced students and giving them more. I am in "enriched" classes, and I'm not learning anything more than when I wasn't. Not every 13 year old can't handle knowing the truth about our history. A small kid might, but a 13 year old should. But, the kids in our country are getting more immature by the second, I belive, so I may be wrong.


70% is still a lot more than 30%, so if you average all the grades out, it would still not be exemplary. It's good that you are in enriched classes and it's very unfortunate that you feel you're still not learning enough. But yes, sadly, you are dragged down by your immature peers for now, but don't worry, they'll be filtered out hopefully by the time you leave highschool.
Posted 12/8/07

flippizzle wrote:


Michi_Michi wrote:

That is a generalization. If 70% of students in the class are average and 30% are abovr average, all should learn what there age group can handle, instead of challenging the advanced students and giving them more. I am in "enriched" classes, and I'm not learning anything more than when I wasn't. Not every 13 year old can't handle knowing the truth about our history. A small kid might, but a 13 year old should. But, the kids in our country are getting more immature by the second, I belive, so I may be wrong.


70% is still a lot more than 30%, so if you average all the grades out, it would still not be exemplary. It's good that you are in enriched classes and it's very unfortunate that you feel you're still not learning enough. But yes, sadly, you are dragged down by your immature peers for now, but don't worry, they'll be filtered out hopefully by the time you leave highschool.


Another excellent point as well. After you finish high school and go to college, people are more serious, hard working, studious and much more mature. High school is free, college isn't, that is why people are much more mature in college.
2798 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / London, UK
Offline
Posted 12/8/07
It's really stupid. Like when they are older, they/we are going to learn about those things ie sexual moves, pornography, rude and racist words. Theres no point to cover it up. But my school is perfectic. We can't even use google image search for goodness sake. Thats gone too far.
1947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Desu~, Desu~
Offline
Posted 12/8/07

Sousuke2007 wrote:


flippizzle wrote:


Michi_Michi wrote:

That is a generalization. If 70% of students in the class are average and 30% are abovr average, all should learn what there age group can handle, instead of challenging the advanced students and giving them more. I am in "enriched" classes, and I'm not learning anything more than when I wasn't. Not every 13 year old can't handle knowing the truth about our history. A small kid might, but a 13 year old should. But, the kids in our country are getting more immature by the second, I belive, so I may be wrong.


70% is still a lot more than 30%, so if you average all the grades out, it would still not be exemplary. It's good that you are in enriched classes and it's very unfortunate that you feel you're still not learning enough. But yes, sadly, you are dragged down by your immature peers for now, but don't worry, they'll be filtered out hopefully by the time you leave highschool.


Another excellent point as well. After you finish high school and go to college, people are more serious, hard working, studious and much more mature. High school is free, college isn't, that is why people are much more mature in college.


I'm still a 7th grader though. And guess what? Some of those 30% are stuck in the regular classes, for the kids whose parents are in the PA, weasel their kids into advanced classes, dispite them defiantely not doing the work, and not keeping a B or higher. (To stay in enriched you must keep a B or higher. This kids have C's and D's but are still in the damn class).

Somtimes, I think my school is dumbing the kids down. Who knows, maybe I'LL be dumbed down next. The only damn reson I didn't get into the enriced rogram in grade school, was for my I.Q being one damn point off. My school cares enough for one damn I.Q point, but not enough to kick the dumbass students out of enriched math.

Me not being "enriched" in "enriched math/English/Science" means the school isn't doing their job. But, this is the same school that if you get introuble, they twist the shit out of your ear, to the point where you cant ear (Seriously, my friend cant hear out of one ear cause of our damn principal) so maybe, my expectations are too high for this shitty school.

Books are necisarily censored in my school, but if my school wasn't as dumb as it was, 50% of the books WOULDN'T be in there. I've seen the Inuyasha manga in my libary, and that shows nudity. I got a English to Japanese dictonary out of the libary, and there was a section on Sex, and not the gender kind.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.