Nov 2008 Mumbai attacks! Terror in Mumbai.
1288 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
A small place in...
Offline
Posted 12/3/08 , edited 12/4/08
I am surprised at why such a topic for so long has not been created considering the considerable asian community we have here so here goes.

A brief look
On 26 November 2008-29 Nov 2008, a group of terrorists whom Indian authorities believed to have smuggled themselves from sea from Pakistan committed a remorseless gunspree and hostage taking across Mumbai (Bombay), notably in civillian areas such as Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Metro Cinema and Cama Hospital to popular tourists spots of Taj Mahal Palace and Tower, Leopold Cafe and Oberoi Trident Hotel to the seige of Jewish outreach educational centre, Nariman House. Currently at least 195 are confirmed dead, with 31 foreign nationals confirmed dead as well, and at least 294 injured, 9 terrorists have been killed with 1 captured alive. This action has been condemned by both the Indian and Pakistan government and people around the world

Mumbai attacks key sites - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7751876.stm

World leaders condemn attacks credited to CNN -
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/11/27/mumbai.world.reaction/?iref=mpstoryview

Pictures/Videos of scene


Timeline of attack
credited to BBC - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7754438.stm

Responsibilities/Accusations
During the attack, claims for responsibilities came from a little known group, the Deccan Mujahideen, which was made by e-mails to news agencies. Authorities are skeptical of this as believe such a group does not exist or too small too have the capability to plan such a strike. India is now accusing Pakistan to be behind the Mumbai attacks and police reports of the captured terrorist who claimed he was from the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba Islamist group which is backed by Pakistan Intelligence. There is controversy though as the terrorist claims to have receive help from Mumbai citizens and Indians may be involved in the attack as well.

India handed over two formal submissions to Pakistan one to lodge a formal protest over Pakistan's failure to curb terrorism emanating from its soil, another asking for the arrest and handover of those 20 persons including gangster, Dawood Ibrahim, the founder of Jaish-e-Mohammad, terrorist leader Maulana Masood Azhar and Lashkar-e-Taiba chief Hafiz Muhammad Saeed who are settled in Pakistan and who are fugitives of Indian law. The external affairs minister Pranab Kumar Mukherjee has also stated that India will await Pakistan’s response. He has not ruled out the option of military strikes against terrorist camps in Pakistan.

Pakistan denies involvement
CNN Video (Pakistan Prime Minister speaks out) - http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/11/27/mumbai.world.reaction/?iref=mpstoryview#cnnSTCVideo

credited to Pakistan Times -http://www.pakistantimes.net/2008/12/03/top.htm

Analysis
1 . Failure of Indian government


2 . Concern over India and Pakistan, troop movement at the border by India and Pakistan troops may divert troops by Pakistan stationed to combat terrorist hotspots in country and Afghan border


3. Indian Muslims in crisis
credited to http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1862650-1,00.html

References:

PS: Please message or quote me if i made any mistakes in my posts or you wish something to be edited into the first post. Once Again, NO FLAMING, TROLLING or SPAMMING, such actions will be reported. Condolences are welcome for fallen victims and heroes of Mumbai.
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 12/3/08
Just a thought, I don't really think the Deccan Mujahideen did this. They're too small time. I think it's a bigger outfit, like Al Qaieda or LeT, teaming up with local support from the underworld (probably the D gang). There's no way an operation of this scale can be carried out and executed by a 'little known group' of extremists.

The DM may have claimed responsibility, but that isn't concrete evidence. I mean, terrorists always take responsibility for attacks, even if they had nothing to do with it. Does no good for their PR, and gets the long arm of the law on their ass, but that's just how terrorists work..

According to reports today, India and Pakistan are mobilizing troops on the border now.
20924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 12/3/08 , edited 12/3/08
Yes! At last got this topic going on....I was about to create this thread but i lack of sources....

There is something fishy about the terrorist attacks....

It has been dub as Indian 9/11...
4053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Yo Mommas House
Offline
Posted 12/3/08
Very interesting topic and I havent done any research of it yet. I dont like taking any official story from the mainstream media because I always feel they are witholding information back or trying to scare me. An example of this is when I watched Anderson Cooper 360 and many other news outlets how they constentaly repeat "Could this happen to us?" or "Terror anylasts suspect another attack in (insert # of years here)." I believe they are trying to keep this terrorism 9/11 fear going on so they can keep doing what they do best, meddling in other countries. Terrible event indeed what took place in India and I hope whoever involved gets their punishment.
Posted 12/3/08 , edited 12/3/08


India Names Mumbai Mastermind
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122823715860872789.html

&

Mumbai Police to Use 'Truth Serum' on Captured Terrorist
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article5280084.ece
636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Andromeda
Offline
Posted 12/3/08

h4x0rz wrote:

I mean, terrorists always take responsibility for attacks, even if they had nothing to do with it


Important point.


my comment, why the attacks always happen at critical times : P

Posted 12/3/08 , edited 12/3/08
Doubt Pakistan had direct involvement in this, since both country's get their fair share of terrorist attacks.This one was a little bigger than usual though, mabye Al Qaeda was behind it. I wonder if it would have been covered as much as it has, if no foreigners had been involved.(I,E Americans,Canadians,Etc..).
20924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 12/3/08
False Flag anyone?
20924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 12/3/08

superninjaboy wrote:

Doubt Pakistan had direct involvement in this, since both country's get their fair share of terrorist attacks.This one was a little bigger than usual though, mabye Al Qaeda was behind it. I wonder if it would have been covered as much as it has, if no foreigners had been involved.(I,E Americans,Canadians,Etc..).


the report says that the terrorist is pakistani.....cant be al qaeda behind it....Taleban?
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 12/4/08
It's frustrating when that prick Zardari is refusing to co-operate now.
Posted 12/4/08
Really scarry,.. Imagine you were there yourself and you had to bear all the torments the people there´ve encountered by their selfs. really scarry!!!!
As i heard, they think that the therorista are from india w/c are suporrted by Pacistanis.
and they wanted to consume 5000 munitions to kill people,. crazy!!!



1288 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
A small place in...
Offline
Posted 12/4/08

asamiueto wrote:

India Names Mumbai Mastermind
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122823715860872789.html

&

Mumbai Police to Use 'Truth Serum' on Captured Terrorist
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article5280084.ece


Yusuf Muzammil key suspect behind the Mumbai attacks
Asamiueto post has been placed in the front page under timeline of attack, the articles were quite good, it was specific as it (Wall Street Journal) cited Indian authorities pointing to Yusuf Muzammil, US officials/analysts though have not yet confirmed anything. The 2nd article states that Indian authorities will use "Truth Serum" on the captured terrorist, Azam Amir Kasab. I have some reservations on this as the drug, typically the barbiturate sodium pentothal, has side effects (may induce hallucinations, delusions and psychotic manifestations) and this might go against Geneva Convention and infringe on basic human rights of prisoners. The Indian authorities need to take care in carrying out such a procedure should they decide to carry it out (none of the US Guantanamo bay detention fiasco).

Quotes from the first article- India names Mumbai mastermind


azera wrote:

superninjaboy wrote:
Doubt Pakistan had direct involvement in this, since both country's get their fair share of terrorist attacks.This one was a little bigger than usual though, mabye Al Qaeda was behind it. I wonder if it would have been covered as much as it has, if no foreigners had been involved.(I,E Americans,Canadians,Etc..).


the report says that the terrorist is pakistani.....cant be al qaeda behind it....Taleban?

Rice hints at Al Qaeda involvement: India determined to act ‘decisively’
This was reported in Pakistan newspaper.

credited to Pakistan Dawn newspaper


Real_ZERO wrote:

h4x0rz wrote:
I mean, terrorists always take responsibility for attacks, even if they had nothing to do with it

Important point.
my comment, why the attacks always happen at critical times : P

I value your judgement and it seems you have a theory on this, please elaborate.


drizza wrote:

Very interesting topic and I havent done any research of it yet. I dont like taking any official story from the mainstream media because I always feel they are witholding information back or trying to scare me. An example of this is when I watched Anderson Cooper 360 and many other news outlets how they constentaly repeat "Could this happen to us?" or "Terror anylasts suspect another attack in (insert # of years here)." I believe they are trying to keep this terrorism 9/11 fear going on so they can keep doing what they do best, meddling in other countries. Terrible event indeed what took place in India and I hope whoever involved gets their punishment.

India and Pakistan News media running on knee jerk reactions, emotions.
credited to India Nat. Newspaper, The Hindu
http://www.hindu.com/2008/12/01/stories/2008120155891300.htm
Blog - http://www.blogocentricity.com/?p=602

I can understand drizza skepticism on news, although there have been troop movement at the India-Pakistan border, a media war have erupted between India and Pakistan media news. Investigation is still ongoing but the Mumbai people want to know what went wrong and India authorities and media have been quick to point to Pakistan and Pakistan authorities and media have gone into a shell and rejected India's claims. A better analysis on news is usually done after 3-4 months when there have been substantial progress on identifying the culprits and mastermind and plans on how to tackle them, news right after a tragedy is most often a lot of finger pointing and based on emotional response. Mumbai victims are right to demand for answers though but the media need to be careful on reporting as peoples feelings are at all time high, and certain elements will try to take advantage of people uncertainties.


h4x0rz wrote:

Just a thought, I don't really think the Deccan Mujahideen did this. They're too small time. I think it's a bigger outfit, like Al Qaieda or LeT, teaming up with local support from the underworld (probably the D gang). There's no way an operation of this scale can be carried out and executed by a 'little known group' of extremists.

The DM may have claimed responsibility, but that isn't concrete evidence. I mean, terrorists always take responsibility for attacks, even if they had nothing to do with it. Does no good for their PR, and gets the long arm of the law on their ass, but that's just how terrorists work..

According to reports today, India and Pakistan are mobilizing troops on the border now.



h4x0rz wrote:

It's frustrating when that prick Zardari is refusing to co-operate now.


From what I read, India have send Pakistan a formal protest about Pakistan inability to handle terrorist groups within their country and the handover of 20 suspects linked to the Mumbai attacks which are currently residing in Pakistan. Pakistan have promised cooperation but have stopped short of showing any form of serious action in that they will conduct an investigation on the matter and will act should there be sufficient evidence.

Importance of India and Pakistan co-operation
I actually wanted to share an article with you, which i read online earlier but now can't find the link, the article was from an India professor who was in the Peacecorp. The article was quite a good read as he explains that the Indian government must take care in handling he terror issue with Pakistan, that there are elements of terrorism within Pakistan military but not to alienate the current civilian Pakistan government. The civilian government power is limited as it will endure a backlash should they go after the Lashkar-e-Taiba but Pakistan and India authorities, namely Pakistan must want to work to sort out the trouble within their administration and military and the importance of joint effort between both Pakistan and India to work through this issue. I will try looking for the article and will edit it when i find it.

Hope to hear more insights from people in India
I hope you and more Indians or people who were involved or touched by the incident in Mumbai can share their views. I also share the view on others who posted here that the people behind this attack is brought to justice.
8026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Neverafter
Offline
Posted 12/5/08

Northboundsnow wrote:

I am surprised at why such a topic for so long has not been created considering the considerable asian community we have here so here goes.




http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-393457/Shooting-in-India.html


4095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Los Angeles, Cali...
Offline
Posted 12/5/08
i think its time to engage in genocidal warfare against this wannabe caliphate. i say we bolster the western world's armies, massively mobilize the population for war, and then slaughter; from morrocco to pakistan, just massacare every human being we can find.

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAaa!!!!!!

jk. but i still think more should be done about this, the west is making fools of themselves pretending they have everything under control. and then yesterday in the news i heard about a muslim organization that used a charity as a front to raise like $10 million for Hamas, lol.
1288 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
A small place in...
Offline
Posted 12/6/08 , edited 12/6/08

scarlet_tears wrote:


Northboundsnow wrote:

I am surprised at why such a topic for so long has not been created considering the considerable asian community we have here so here goes.




http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-393457/Shooting-in-India.html




Thanks for the headups to the forum topic "Shooting in India" in the General category.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-393457/Shooting-in-India.html.

I missed the topic as i just skimmed through forum and only look through extended discussion and may have missed it, I try to avoid General topics due to the random nature of topics and response post there.


MEMPHADON wrote:

i think its time to engage in genocidal warfare against this wannabe caliphate. i say we bolster the western world's armies, massively mobilize the population for war, and then slaughter; from morrocco to pakistan, just massacare every human being we can find.

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAaa!!!!!!

jk. but i still think more should be done about this, the west is making fools of themselves pretending they have everything under control. and then yesterday in the news i heard about a muslim organization that used a charity as a front to raise like $10 million for Hamas, lol.


A lot of distrust from and of the Muslim community
I know you are joking regarding mobilizing a World army to take on the whole Islamic world, but you will be surprised to know how many websites we can all find which have those views and are very serious on carrying it out. The Muslim world seems to be in a defensive shell mode now with all these negative terrorism linked to Islam religion that any such view coming from media in the western world or Europe or whether in their country whether its in jest or not are reacting back fiercely or none at all. Co-operation seems a long way off now.

Hamas
On your side note regarding a muslim organization used as a charity front for Hamas tried in US, i thought i share an article about that.
US side 2008- Govt Wins Terror Case Against Muslim Charity -
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1862168,00.html

Britain 2003 - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3135392.stm

On a side note, the latest election 2006 done in Palestinian land which was pushed by the Bush administration was won overwhelmingly by Hamas (wow to Bush and democracy) but the current government Mahmoud Abbas have refused to leave and stayed on with US backing. Hamas is technically a legitimate government of Palestine despite their obviously anti Israel views,
You must be logged in to post.