First  Prev  344  345  346  347  348  349  350  351  352  353  354  355  356  Next  Last
Suggestions **Read the First Post**
22899 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Canada ✈
Offline
Posted 10/21/12

AHTL wrote:

This really bothered me, when you are on the forum's main page:

Latest Forum Topics


Why are topics made in groups included? Groups shouldn't be part of it at all. After all it says latest FORUM topics. Not "Latest Group Forum Topics".


yeah that too
39021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 10/22/12
Please add the news feed to the crunchyroll Android app. It would be nice to catch up on the latest news from the app instead of having to goto the browser which then asks me to install the already installed app.
58004 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 10/22/12
The recent change to limit long avatars and the subsequent workarounds that users have found highlight a common issue in software development: It is next to impossible to remove what is considered a feature without angering your customer base.

Now I understand this feature was horribly abused. Still, the "fix" chosen by the development team was an over-reaction. I'd even say their fix was the wrong one: It is *too* restrictive.

So, I have two suggestions:

1. The restriction should be loosened up a bit. Perhaps 300x600? At least something that gives people more freedom without creating bandwidth and paging issues.

2. Allow Premium users to have an even looser restriction on avatar size. Perhaps 300x1200? It would be an additional incentive for people to become Premium users. It's certainly more useful than selecting the color of your premium star. Note that guest passes should not allow people to work around this restriction.
The Wise Wizard
73234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/22/12

deadpanditto wrote:
2. Allow Premium users to have an even looser restriction on avatar size. Perhaps 300x1200? It would be an additional incentive for people to become Premium users. It's certainly more useful than selecting the color of your premium star. Note that guest passes should not allow people to work around this restriction.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this one. An avatar of that size would be very disruptive to the flow in the forum. 1200 would result in an avatar long than all but a small percentage of displays that people are using.

I also think a 500 pixel long avatar is pushing it. There are a lot of 1366 x 768, 1280 x 800, and 1024 x 768 displays out there. That could result in a single message, even if it were only one sentence, taking up 2/3 of the screen.
58004 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 10/22/12

TheAncientOne wrote:


deadpanditto wrote:
2. Allow Premium users to have an even looser restriction on avatar size. Perhaps 300x1200? It would be an additional incentive for people to become Premium users. It's certainly more useful than selecting the color of your premium star. Note that guest passes should not allow people to work around this restriction.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this one. An avatar of that size would be very disruptive to the flow in the forum. 1200 would result in an avatar long than all but a small percentage of displays that people are using.

I also think a 500 pixel long avatar is pushing it. There are a lot of 1366 x 768, 1280 x 800, and 1024 x 768 displays out there. That could result in a single message, even if it were only one sentence, taking up 2/3 of the screen.


It's a suggestion, hence the question mark. And, as I noted, they should select something that balances performance and readability. In fact, I have one of those larger monitors, and I don't find a problem with the issue you are noting. Realize that the restriction was instituted because some people had ridiculously long avatars (over 2000px). At that length, there is no argument it is disruptive.

You might think 500 is pushing it, but given the number of complaints, I think you'd be in the minority.
The Wise Wizard
73234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/22/12 , edited 10/22/12

deadpanditto wrote:
It's a suggestion, hence the question mark. And, as I noted, they should select something that balances performance and readability. In fact, I have one of those larger monitors, and I don't find a problem with the issue you are noting. Realize that the restriction was instituted because some people had ridiculously long avatars (over 2000px). At that length, there is no argument it is disruptive.

You might think 500 is pushing it, but given the number of complaints, I think you'd be in the minority.

I have one of those larger displays (1920 x 1200 on my other computer), but that doesn't mean I want some people to be able to take up the entire length of the screen, just because they feel the need to express themselves artistically with every post. (Frankly, it wouldn't break my heart if animated avatars were banned from the forum).

Keep in mind that most people that are satisfied with the new restrictions typically won't be complaining. People rarely complain if they are satisfied with the status quo.

IMO, the use of an avatar in a forum is to be more able to quickly identify the user making the post (although some people like to change their avatar often, which shoots that in the head). For that purpose, a small image with no animation is more than sufficient. If there are other places that larger and/or animated images are more suitable, CR should decouple those from the avatar that appears in the forum.


I am just glad that CR doesn't have support for signatures. There's nothing like browsing an active forum thread and seeing someone's same big banner at the end of every few messages, made doubly irritating if they decide they need to animate it.

58004 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 10/22/12

TheAncientOne wrote:


deadpanditto wrote:
It's a suggestion, hence the question mark. And, as I noted, they should select something that balances performance and readability. In fact, I have one of those larger monitors, and I don't find a problem with the issue you are noting. Realize that the restriction was instituted because some people had ridiculously long avatars (over 2000px). At that length, there is no argument it is disruptive.

You might think 500 is pushing it, but given the number of complaints, I think you'd be in the minority.

I have one of those larger displays (1920 x 1200 on my other computer), but that doesn't mean I want some people to be able to take up the entire length of the screen, just because they feel the need to express themselves artistically with every post. (Frankly, it wouldn't break my heart if animated avatars were banned from the forum).


Please do me the courtesy of not conflating my suggestion to say that I am recommending the exact behavior that the devs were attempting to fix. I didn't suggest what you imply at all.


TheAncientOne wrote:
Keep in mind that most people that are satisfied with the new restrictions typically won't be complaining. People rarely complain if they are satisfied with the status quo.


Yes some people are satisfied with the restriction. However, my suggestion is an attempt to stop people from hacking said restriction. If you've been paying attention, quite a few people are. Trying to uses these hacks and 3rd party sites to work around the limitation can introduce instability to the site. Loosing the restriction will help mitigate this problem.

You may be happy with the solution, but a sizable portion of the users are not. And if you have a better, concrete suggestion, please make it. This isn't the "argue about suggestions" thread.


The Wise Wizard
73234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/22/12

deadpanditto wrote:
Please do me the courtesy of not conflating my suggestion to say that I am recommending the exact behavior that the devs were attempting to fix. I didn't suggest what you imply at all.

You had suggested premium users being allowed avatars up to 1200 pixels long, and normal users up to 600. That was what I was responding to.



Yes some people are satisfied with the restriction. However, my suggestion is an attempt to stop people from hacking said restriction. If you've been paying attention, quite a few people are. Trying to uses these hacks and 3rd party sites to work around the limitation can introduce instability to the site. Loosing the restriction will help mitigate this problem.

You may be happy with the solution, but a sizable portion of the users are not. And if you have a better, concrete suggestion, please make it. This isn't the "argue about suggestions" thread.

I was responding with my suggestion which can be summed up as "Either don't change things, or decouple the forum avatar from uses elsewhere".

As to those hacking the system, a warning followed by a temporary ban if they re-offend should get the message across if they are breaking any rules. If the hacks and workarounds compromise the stability of the system sufficiently to be a concern, institute new rules. (Frankly, I haven't noted any problems, but I do browse with NoScript, which limits what third party sites can do).

58004 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 10/22/12

TheAncientOne wrote:


deadpanditto wrote:
Please do me the courtesy of not conflating my suggestion to say that I am recommending the exact behavior that the devs were attempting to fix. I didn't suggest what you imply at all.

You had suggested premium users being allowed avatars up to 1200 pixels long, and normal users up to 600. That was what I was responding to.


The length would best be determined by the devs.

Please note that even your avatar is longer than the new 200x200 size limit. If you were to update your avatar today, you could not create one like you currently have. Using the image tool, you can see that your current avatar is about 300 in length. Something twice that in length is not a burden nor does it "take up the entire length of the screen" as you put it. Four time that length might be too long, but it still isn't horrible.



Vegetable Support Manager
Bjaker 
35285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 10/22/12
No change in avatar size.

We're fixing the 'Work around' too.
41696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 10/22/12 , edited 10/22/12
Umm, i recieved a messege where u offered a well this


Thanks ^.^ Though i was wondering if instead,
I could choose to give the coupon of the 'Special 30-day Free Trial to the CR Membership.' to someone else, of my choice? Technically if u say its mine for 30 days? can i use it how i please?


If so how can i do that? would u mind Pm me about it?
Vegetable Support Manager
Bjaker 
35285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 10/22/12


These codes are created for your specific accounts.
Unfortunately you can not currently share / give them away.
I will add this suggestion to my list for Development.
41696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 10/22/12 , edited 10/22/12


Ahh okay, so do you have a list of random people and decide to give it to them?
Oh well, it wouldve been well worth it though. Thanks anyway. ^.^

Also the offer may be over by then, but itd be nice just in case there are others who would've liked to do the same thing.
Keep it up! appreciated~
The Wise Wizard
73234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/22/12

deadpanditto wrote:
The length would best be determined by the devs.

Please note that even your avatar is longer than the new 200x200 size limit. If you were to update your avatar today, you could not create one like you currently have. Using the image tool, you can see that your current avatar is about 300 in length. Something twice that in length is not a burden nor does it "take up the entire length of the screen" as you put it. Four time that length might be too long, but it still isn't horrible.

I was referring to the size displayed in the forum. My current avatar as displayed in the forum is 100 x 142 pixels. I have no interest in the size that can be displayed in one's profile. That can be any size for all I care.

Apparently we have a misunderstanding based on terminology. In my experience on the internet, "avatar" has referred to the image used in a forum or comment section associated with a specific user, and was not commonly used to refer to other images, such as on a profile page.

If Crunchyroll requested users to update any older avatars so they would be compliant with the new hard cap, I would do so without complaint.
26026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 10/24/12 , edited 10/24/12
I had a look at the front page of this thread. It is actually being kept updated? The last edit time shows "Posted 8/15/06, edited 4/2/08"

For premium members, it would be nice to have an option to skip the intro/outro. The start points of these are already known since you have adverts at these points for free members.

A filter on anime series so you can mark them as "currently watching" "completed" "not seen" "Avoid" to keep a personal log of which you've seen. Being able to filter on this would also make it easier to find popular anime you haven't seen!

Delete episodes from your history on a per episode / per series basis. I can only see a way to clear your entire history right now.


Android: Higher quality video. On my phone I browse to the webpage instead of using the app. The webpage shows the video much clearer and color doesn't turn horrible.
First  Prev  344  345  346  347  348  349  350  351  352  353  354  355  356  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.