First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
What line of work are you intersted in?
Posted 12/11/08 , edited 12/11/08
I'm still not sure what I want to do after college though. Last year I was thinking about medical school but right now I feel like I lack that motivation and passion to finish med school and residency...

anyway, tell me what lines of work you're looking for and why you want to do that kind of job. It'll give me ideas about what I want to do. XP so fire away! =D

oh, and I won't be able to go online much after Dec 12th, I'll be back in Jan to check on your messages... =p
153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 12/11/08
You should NEVER go to medical school unless you have a passion for it. A couple of friends are attending medical school and by what they've told me it's practically hell on earth. Bye-bye social life if you actually want to be successful.

I'm studying graphic design now but my goal is to actually become an animator, or a graphic novelist, whichever comes first. Why would i want that? Because I love drawing, and I love making up stories, so what better way to reach my dreams than to draw my own comic books, or my own cartoon series.
11744 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Winter Springs, F...
Offline
Posted 12/11/08
I'm in love and have a passion for body modification, so I plan on being a body modifier and specialize in tattoo's and scarification.
Ofcourse it also adds on to my love of the arts and I plan to use my skills at what i'm best at to become an amazing artist. I will love seeing the look of satified costumers after I finish and they see the beautful piece I have just put on their body for life.
5103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / it's all in your...
Offline
Posted 12/11/08
I am currently in college taking up bachelor of science in nursing (3rd yr.) as a pre-med course. I do honestly would like to proceed to medicine and then specialize in pediatrics. I know the road to being a renowned pediatrician is like "hell", as other people might say, but if you're passionate about it and have the goods, why not?
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 12/11/08
Any job that has a overnight shift. I would rather work a overnight shift than a day shift anytime.
1336 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / wouldn't you like...
Offline
Posted 12/11/08
chef...
was takig courses till i broke my hand, now they won't let me near the kitchen "that cast is a food safty hazard"

long hours, disfunctanial coworkers who carry around razor sharp knives, constnt threat of being stabed by boss or underlings, whats not to like
253 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
Offline
Posted 12/11/08
An illustrator, cause I have mad skills.... sort of >.>
Posted 12/11/08

WeeBoX wrote:

I am currently in college taking up bachelor of science in nursing (3rd yr.) as a pre-med course. I do honestly would like to proceed to medicine and then specialize in pediatrics. I know the road to being a renowned pediatrician is like "hell", as other people might say, but if you're passionate about it and have the goods, why not?


well back in highschool I asked my regular physician for advice about medical school. He said Don't do it! it's not worth it lol I know I am capable of studying in med school. but I don't like the fact that it's too competitive. it's like a very stressful game of musical chairs... everyone wants in but there's not enough chairs. and if you don't want that chair bad enough someone's gonna take it from you
Posted 12/11/08

Arcuied wrote:

You should NEVER go to medical school unless you have a passion for it. A couple of friends are attending medical school and by what they've told me it's practically hell on earth. Bye-bye social life if you actually want to be successful.

I'm studying graphic design now but my goal is to actually become an animator, or a graphic novelist, whichever comes first. Why would i want that? Because I love drawing, and I love making up stories, so what better way to reach my dreams than to draw my own comic books, or my own cartoon series.


haha yea I did read up about what medical school and residency is like, so I know how challenging it could be. not sure if that's what I want to do yet

actually that's the other thing that I wanted to do, which was to go into animation or drawing. I used to draw alot (before college) I still do sketches in my free time, cause I like doing that too. And it would be great to get paid for doing something I like to do, but most of my family wants me to get a practical job with a high job security.

I wouldn't get better at drawing unless I practiced it everyday. So I had to make a choice between drawing and a science major. I ended picking chemistry as my major. I like science too, and it leaves me open to more career options.
153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 12/11/08

Hentai-Police wrote:


Arcuied wrote:

You should NEVER go to medical school unless you have a passion for it. A couple of friends are attending medical school and by what they've told me it's practically hell on earth. Bye-bye social life if you actually want to be successful.

I'm studying graphic design now but my goal is to actually become an animator, or a graphic novelist, whichever comes first. Why would i want that? Because I love drawing, and I love making up stories, so what better way to reach my dreams than to draw my own comic books, or my own cartoon series.


haha yea I did read up about what medical school and residency is like, so I know how challenging it could be. not sure if that's what I want to do yet

actually that's the other thing that I wanted to do, which was to go into animation or drawing. I used to draw alot (before college) I still do sketches in my free time, cause I like doing that too. And it would be great to get paid for doing something I like to do, but most of my family wants me to get a practical job with a high job security.

I wouldn't get better at drawing unless I practiced it everyday. So I had to make a choice between drawing and a science major. I ended picking chemistry as my major. I like science too, and it leaves me open to more career options.


You should do what you want to do, not your family. Although it's good to have financial security with a job, is it worth doing something you'll hate your whole life? As long as it's your own choice, it's all good
5103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / it's all in your...
Offline
Posted 12/11/08

Hentai-Police wrote:


WeeBoX wrote:



well back in highschool I asked my regular physician for advice about medical school. He said Don't do it! it's not worth it lol I know I am capable of studying in med school. but I don't like the fact that it's too competitive. it's like a very stressful game of musical chairs... everyone wants in but there's not enough chairs. and if you don't want that chair bad enough someone's gonna take it from you


That physician must have had a tough experience, but to say that the way he is now wasn't all worth the trouble means simply that he has very little passion for engaging sick/ill people in the first place.

Physicians aid people to better health. What more is there? Money? Fame? Position in the hierarchy of doctors? All these would eventually come in time no matter how long. (Probably in my 40's if I manage to get a name for myself)

Indeed it is taxing just thinking about all those; nevertheless, it shouldn't be enough to dishearten anyone willing to be that person behind the desk giving prescription and counseling to those who need them most...

... and I want to be one of those exceptional individuals. =)

Also.the world we are in is a very competitive world. Whether you're into the food industry, medicine, politics and the like, competition would never cease to exist. After all, it is one of the driving forces that motivates people to do better. It shouldn't be seen a hindrance to success no matter how stressful and intimidating competition is.
5047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Montreal
Offline
Posted 12/11/08
Due to today's reality, my career plans have changed. I can no longer hope to do what I have been doing for over 10 years. The market changed, specialized jobs are now getting fragiled. You can no longer plan on doing the same job for more then 10 years.

I have gone through 2 budget cuts in 20 years which led me to restart from scratch twice. What every you plan on doing, remember that sooner or later, you might have to make another choice. That is today's reality.

I have now entered a big company, IBM. Since last year, I started to get involved (on my free time and voluntary basis) into what will be my next job in the next 2 years : Virtual Reality. This type of job is now getting more serious since 1 year ago. Alot of companies are investing millions of dollars in their own Virtual Reality research. With the coming of Web 2.0, Virtual Reality will be the next big thing withing 5 years !

Expert say that by 2010, 25% of the population will be using Virtual Reality software or software very close to this.

If you know or heard about SecondLife, this is the first trend step of Virtual Reality that already started.
Posted 12/12/08 , edited 12/12/08

Arcuied wrote:

You should do what you want to do, not your family. Although it's good to have financial security with a job, is it worth doing something you'll hate your whole life? As long as it's your own choice, it's all good


well I'm the first person in the family to go to college. My other cousins are working minimum wage jobs like at Mc Donald's. I don't really like it though, when my mom brags about me whenever we go to family gatherings. I feel like a showcase item >_> My dad was nice enough to say do whatever makes me happy. But that's kinda of a lie. If I dropped out and said I want to be a graphic artist, he would so kill me lol. so I'm looking for something that makes me happy and my parents happy as well =p


WeeBoX wrote:


well during highschool I had severe stress from studying and relationship problems which caused my blood pressure to go way up >_< so I had to go see my physician a few times. so he said I wasn't cut out to be a doc if I stress out that easily. I've grown since then, but I still remember what he said xp

also... money isn't much of a motivating factor for doctors. They do make a healthy income, but there's easier jobs that make more money and for working less hours.

ok I admit that life isn't as fun without competition. but some of the pre-med students are just insane... they're just too serious sometimes =p

the the only reason why I wanted to be a doc, was because my family physican was really funny, friendly, and approachable... lols I read somewhere that teens should get a testicular exam when they're 18. so I asked my physician about it, and then he was like you have two right? yea that's good enough, ask me again when you're 30. I also liked him cause he wasn't as uptight as the other doctors. One time, I was really needed to see him and it was a holiday. but we called him, and he came to his office with a mud covered pick up truck. he was wearing shorts, a t-shirt, sandals, and a bathrobe. I only recognized him case he waved at me, and he had his stethoscope and his ID clip. But I don't feel like that's a good enough reason to put on the medschool application, since I'm sure alot of other people have said something similar =p
Posted 12/12/08 , edited 12/12/08

browser_ice wrote:


I'm enough of a gaming nerd to know what you're talking about xp I haven't played it though, I've just read a lot of the literature, ie. looking at gaming magazines when I'm at Albertsons or Walmart lol.

for virtual reality though, I think it's the same people working it, computer programmers and writers to come up ideas. To me, I think SecondLife is still more like a MMORPG than an actual virtual reality. my standards of a virtual reality is to have something like the Matrix. lols If i'm still aware that I'm sitting in my room playing on my computer, then it's just a computer game =p ... sorry =( haha

Nintendo tried a stab at virtual reality when the made the Virtual Boy in '95, and failed miserably xp no other companies tried that approach since then =p for virtual reality, I want 3-D goggles and other ways of interacting with the virtual world besides using the keyboard and mouse.
5670 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 12/12/08
well when i was younger i always was facinated by those spy guys like 007 and ethan hunt so guess what i joined the military straight after high school and spend almost 3 years shining my boots..for a pathetic wage i might add.thinking back on it,if i spend that time in college or working in the private sector.i would have made loads more cash..
what i am trying to say is dont jump off the plane without a chute..if u are thinking of comitting to something.best get all ur angles covered and do the research.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.