First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
On going case: Christopher Handley faces up to 20 years in prison for owning "obscene" manga
lkmjr 
56513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Dreamland....
Offline
Posted 12/14/08 , edited 1/14/09
Just picked this up on ANN: Christopher Handley is currently facing up to twenty years in prison for owning "obscene" manga. In February, 2009, he will go to court in Iowa. ANN, along with Carl Gustav Horn (a manga editor for Dark Horse), is considering the possible consequences of the case for all anime and manga fans.

Original articles:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2008-12-11/christopher-handley/jason-thompson
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2008-12-11/christopher-handley/carl-horn


Christopher Handley, a manga fan in Iowa, is currently in an unenviable position: he's the first comics or manga fan ever to face criminal charges for possessing manga to read in the privacy of his own home. He's currently facing obscenity charges, which could carry up to 20 years in prison. The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, an organization which exists to defend free speech in comic books, is raising money to help with his case. You can read more about it here (http://www.cbldf.org/pr/archives/000372.shtml)


The article goes on to consider how this will effect anime and manga fans, as well as how obscenity conflicts with American's freedom of speech and how "obscene" is defined differently depending on where you live, i.e. Japan or America, and other aspects of how this case applies to and affects other anime and manga fans.

UPDATE: Apparently, it's yaoi manga, possibly shota, untranslated, which he got caught in airport customs with. Which makes more sense if it is shota, because then the "virtual child pornography" thing comes into play. This might be better discussed on Dom's thread on the subject at this point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any thoughts?? I'd suggest reading the article before giving an opinion. I personally agree with the majority of the statements made in the article, and wonder how this will affect non-anime/manga fan's opinions of anime and manga and those who watch/read it.
Posted 12/14/08
dupe
668 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/14/08
This is related to child manga pornagraphy stuff rite? will anyway this situtation is defined of having things that does not fit the standards. I dont get it owning things like child porn can make u into a sexual offender? This is wrong in some ways because effort can be put in to arrest serious offenders someone tat can do physical damage or a real crime that happends in reality. The only reason this guy should be arrested is tat if he is the one making real child/porn/manga stuff. This is unclear because in manga age is not really told in it. The author could say the characters are over the age of 18. I dont own any manga...cause im cheap... but this kind of stuff is happening because society such in America feels unsafe and anything that is not normal..even this...then they are put down. I dont know much about manga or laws but the stuff american movies put out seems much worse. Anyhow if there is a scientific fact that looking at child manga porn turns u into a rapeists then all of this stuff should be illegal. Everyone is innocent unless they commit a crime that harms another human being.
Posted 12/14/08
Well I am glad the Comic book legal defense fund is around for these types of assaults on freedom of speech.
I also think that the time spent going after those who are fans of said manga (Though some may actually be pedos) , would be better used tracking down actual child porn groups and offenders where people are actually getting harmed.
lkmjr 
56513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Dreamland....
Offline
Posted 12/14/08

Magical_Me wrote:

This is related to child manga pornagraphy stuff rite? will anyway this situtation is defined of having things that does not fit the standards. I dont get it owning things like child porn can make u into a sexual offender? This is wrong in some ways because effort can be put in to arrest serious offenders someone tat can do physical damage or a real crime that happends in reality. The only reason this guy should be arrested is tat if he is the one making real child/porn/manga stuff. This is unclear because in manga age is not really told in it. The author could say the characters are over the age of 18. I dont own any manga...cause im cheap... but this kind of stuff is happening because society such in America feels unsafe and anything that is not normal..even this...then they are put down. I dont know much about manga or laws but the stuff american movies put out seems much worse. Anyhow if there is a scientific fact that looking at child manga porn turns u into a rapeists then all of this stuff should be illegal. Everyone is innocent unless they commit a crime that harms another human being.


They talked about that in the article. Apparently the PROTECT Act changed up the laws a bit so that even if the person is just reading porn (or in this case, "obscene" manga) they can still be considered a sex offender and therefore a threat to the people around them. The whole thing about the character in question possibly, but then maybe not, being a minor is another thing that's being debated. If she looks twelve years old even though she's twenty, can she still be considered a minor, since it's just a picture?? Come to think of it, how can we say "She appears to be ______ age" when she comes from the mind of her creator and isn't necessarilly supposed to look realistic?? It depends on what your moral position is.
668 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/14/08
So basically everyone who owns these kind of manga are practically screwed?
8972 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 12/14/08

lkmjr wrote:


Magical_Me wrote:

This is related to child manga pornagraphy stuff rite? will anyway this situtation is defined of having things that does not fit the standards. I dont get it owning things like child porn can make u into a sexual offender? This is wrong in some ways because effort can be put in to arrest serious offenders someone tat can do physical damage or a real crime that happends in reality. The only reason this guy should be arrested is tat if he is the one making real child/porn/manga stuff. This is unclear because in manga age is not really told in it. The author could say the characters are over the age of 18. I dont own any manga...cause im cheap... but this kind of stuff is happening because society such in America feels unsafe and anything that is not normal..even this...then they are put down. I dont know much about manga or laws but the stuff american movies put out seems much worse. Anyhow if there is a scientific fact that looking at child manga porn turns u into a rapeists then all of this stuff should be illegal. Everyone is innocent unless they commit a crime that harms another human being.


They talked about that in the article. Apparently the PROTECT Act changed up the laws a bit so that even if the person is just reading porn (or in this case, "obscene" manga) they can still be considered a sex offender and therefore a threat to the people around them. The whole thing about the character in question possibly, but then maybe not, being a minor is another thing that's being debated. If she looks twelve years old even though she's twenty, can she still be considered a minor, since it's just a picture?? Come to think of it, how can we say "She appears to be ______ age" when she comes from the mind of her creator and isn't necessarilly supposed to look realistic?? It depends on what your moral position is.


I agree with your last line,but i think 20 years for self-reflection quite long wouldnt you say?
20295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 12/14/08
this is a dup...
20 years..., that's a lot of wasting time
1281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / California
Offline
Posted 12/14/08
lol, japan has a lack of virtual childporn laws so its ok there but not here, thats kinda funny:P
35347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Washington
Offline
Posted 12/14/08
so basically he was looking at doujinshi
1006 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Bahamas-Caribbean
Offline
Posted 12/14/08
It's a good thing I live in the Bahamas away from Bush's stupid dictatorshipish laws when America is supposed to be a Republican country
lkmjr 
56513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Dreamland....
Offline
Posted 12/14/08

Forbidden93 wrote:


lkmjr wrote:


Magical_Me wrote:

This is related to child manga pornagraphy stuff rite? will anyway this situtation is defined of having things that does not fit the standards. I dont get it owning things like child porn can make u into a sexual offender? This is wrong in some ways because effort can be put in to arrest serious offenders someone tat can do physical damage or a real crime that happends in reality. The only reason this guy should be arrested is tat if he is the one making real child/porn/manga stuff. This is unclear because in manga age is not really told in it. The author could say the characters are over the age of 18. I dont own any manga...cause im cheap... but this kind of stuff is happening because society such in America feels unsafe and anything that is not normal..even this...then they are put down. I dont know much about manga or laws but the stuff american movies put out seems much worse. Anyhow if there is a scientific fact that looking at child manga porn turns u into a rapeists then all of this stuff should be illegal. Everyone is innocent unless they commit a crime that harms another human being.


They talked about that in the article. Apparently the PROTECT Act changed up the laws a bit so that even if the person is just reading porn (or in this case, "obscene" manga) they can still be considered a sex offender and therefore a threat to the people around them. The whole thing about the character in question possibly, but then maybe not, being a minor is another thing that's being debated. If she looks twelve years old even though she's twenty, can she still be considered a minor, since it's just a picture?? Come to think of it, how can we say "She appears to be ______ age" when she comes from the mind of her creator and isn't necessarilly supposed to look realistic?? It depends on what your moral position is.


I agree with your last line,but i think 20 years for self-reflection quite long wouldnt you say?


In this situation, I agree. In another situation, things could be different. I think the PROTECT Act, since it wasn't going after manga in the first place, was thinking along the lines of "If this guy watches child pornography, he's only one step below rape. He could cross the line at any moment." We studied criminal psychological patterns in one of my classes, and it actually does happen like that most of the time. So, they peg porn fans as potential dangers to society them, on the level of rapists, and change the laws to that they face the same charges as a rapist would. Manga, and other "virtual" works like drawings and animated videos of people in sexual situations, isn't excluded from the law, so essentially for reading some lolicon this guy's been grouped with the child rapists. An originally good intention turned bad.
8972 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 12/14/08

lkmjr wrote:


Forbidden93 wrote:


lkmjr wrote:


Magical_Me wrote:

This is related to child manga pornagraphy stuff rite? will anyway this situtation is defined of having things that does not fit the standards. I dont get it owning things like child porn can make u into a sexual offender? This is wrong in some ways because effort can be put in to arrest serious offenders someone tat can do physical damage or a real crime that happends in reality. The only reason this guy should be arrested is tat if he is the one making real child/porn/manga stuff. This is unclear because in manga age is not really told in it. The author could say the characters are over the age of 18. I dont own any manga...cause im cheap... but this kind of stuff is happening because society such in America feels unsafe and anything that is not normal..even this...then they are put down. I dont know much about manga or laws but the stuff american movies put out seems much worse. Anyhow if there is a scientific fact that looking at child manga porn turns u into a rapeists then all of this stuff should be illegal. Everyone is innocent unless they commit a crime that harms another human being.


They talked about that in the article. Apparently the PROTECT Act changed up the laws a bit so that even if the person is just reading porn (or in this case, "obscene" manga) they can still be considered a sex offender and therefore a threat to the people around them. The whole thing about the character in question possibly, but then maybe not, being a minor is another thing that's being debated. If she looks twelve years old even though she's twenty, can she still be considered a minor, since it's just a picture?? Come to think of it, how can we say "She appears to be ______ age" when she comes from the mind of her creator and isn't necessarilly supposed to look realistic?? It depends on what your moral position is.


I agree with your last line,but i think 20 years for self-reflection quite long wouldnt you say?


In this situation, I agree. In another situation, things could be different. I think the PROTECT Act, since it wasn't going after manga in the first place, was thinking along the lines of "If this guy watches child pornography, he's only one step below rape. He could cross the line at any moment." We studied criminal psychological patterns in one of my classes, and it actually does happen like that most of the time. So, they peg porn fans as potential dangers to society them, on the level of rapists, and change the laws to that they face the same charges as a rapist would. Manga, and other "virtual" works like drawings and animated videos of people in sexual situations, isn't excluded from the law, so essentially for reading some lolicon this guy's been grouped with the child rapists. An originally good intention turned bad.


...You're not really 13 are you,criminal psychology in class when youre just 13?..thats too much to believe...
305 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 12/14/08
OOOOOOk So I do NOT understand any of this... I read all of it and stuff but I still don't get it ;o; I'm just a stupid 14 yr old.. sooo someone explain please? D:
8704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / why would i tell...
Offline
Posted 12/14/08
it is a dupe
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.