First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Why do Christians celebrate Christmas?
14495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Way of The Ninja...
Offline
Posted 12/26/08

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


quater wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


quater wrote:

Christians are luckily not under strict rules.

So some of us way back in the day took an atheistic holiday and thought, what if we wanted to let Athiests still have a party but one where they get to know Jesus?

So we said, hm, well what if we celebrated Jesus's birthday, that's a pretty big deal.

And so we did.

And that is that. Is there some part of that that bugs you? If so, you are intolerant.

I am sorry, but it's truly that simple. And if you dislike it, then don't celebrate St. Patrick's Day, Valentines Day, or several other festivals and holidays because you can't seem to handle it when a holiday is given purpose by Christians. I mean, how dare we worship Jesus's birth, right? We are just the worst.



How dare I celebrate Pagan advents that Christians High jacked? Yes lets not look in the bible, where It points out the cutting down of a tree and then decorating it is a sin! Also No place in the bible it talks about celebrating his birthday. Not a big deal to create your own, but No your celebrating something that has nothing to do with Christianity, than you have the balls to say its a Christian thing. You need to read you bible more young sinner.


I'm sorry, but please point to me the passage in the Bible where it says "Thou shalt not enjoy my Son's birthday." It doesn't say that? Really? Then how am I sinning if I enjoy Jesus's birth and think the story is a pretty good one? How am I sinning when I believe Christmas is the most giving time of the year (it is) and that it is the one time of the year where people are not afraid to say Jesus Christ because it's what it's all about?

No place in the Bible does it talk about driving cars, but I sure am not walking from place to place. Also, the Asheroth poles, which is what you were referring to when you said cutting down a tree, is a very different practice. They would cut down all the trees and carve them up in fields and then you would walk there and pray. I am sorry, but I feel the Christmas tree is a little different than that. Maybe that's just me.

And I have to ask, is Jesus Christ's birth not something that has to do with Christianity. You said the Bible, doesn't the Bible start the Gospels off with his birth? Wasn't his birth surrounded by hundreds of Old testament prophecies that came true? And that isn't a Christian thing? That's not a big deal?

It is to me.



If you watched the two you tub videos I posted, you know where all the passages are that say Christmas is a sin. See being you asked me what passage said you should not celebrate Jesus birth shows me you did not even watch the two clips that shows where in the bible it says that its a sin.



You tube is blocked on my computer.

You also said decorating trees is a sin. Which it isn't unless you are referring to Ashteroth Poles which has absolute 0 to do with Christmas. So pardon my skepticism, I am sure you can forgive being the all tolerant you are.


Please, I am waiting for you to post a few verses. Astound us with your Biblical knowledge. Was it in Matthew? I really want to see where God said not to celebrate the birth of Christ, which the first chapter of the gospels is dedicated to.

You also ignored the rest of my post showing how little you really have to argue here.

And I can post in red, too. But I prefer Purple or Blue.

All your posts on here have the same message. Christians are the worst, The bible is crap, turn from your hateful ways. And even as you post it, you are the one who seems to have an agenda against Christianity.
Scientist Moderator
digs 
48142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 12/26/08 , edited 12/26/08
@cuddlebuns
Not necessarily, because decorating the tree really isn't a pagan practice anymore. We don't do it as part of worshipping another thing or being. If someone preformed a wiccan ritual it would be a sin because it is idolatry, worshipping something other than God/
571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 12/26/08

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

Why do Christians celebrate Christmas?
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=12F6_oCyTcY&NR=1
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=H9f0OD1p90o&NR=1

As well all know the worshiping of other God is a sin in the eyes of your lord.
It is also a sin to celebrate pagan advents. So my question to Christians is simple enough. Is this celebration worth going to hell over? Or is it that as long as you cherry pick you bible you feel no guilt in celebrating of a pagan God with no fear of your angry war gods wrath?


Like the creator of the second video you referenced, I will ignore the question and ask a better one.

Why are you so insecure about your religious beliefs that you have to go around attacking other religions? If you disagree with another religion in any way, then go ahead and say so, but not only have you voiced your opinion whenever you were given the opportunity, you have now created 2 specifically anti-religion forums. In both, you did not list the reasons why you believe what you believe. Instead, you cited youtube videos, followed by condescending remarks about the religious beliefs of others.

And just out of curiosity, what do you expect to accomplish? Do you really think that if you insult their religions enough, theists of any kind will convert to atheism? Furthermore, why would you want them to?
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 12/27/08 , edited 12/27/08

madlibbs wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

Why do Christians celebrate Christmas?
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=12F6_oCyTcY&NR=1
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=H9f0OD1p90o&NR=1

As well all know the worshiping of other God is a sin in the eyes of your lord.
It is also a sin to celebrate pagan advents. So my question to Christians is simple enough. Is this celebration worth going to hell over? Or is it that as long as you cherry pick you bible you feel no guilt in celebrating of a pagan God with no fear of your angry war gods wrath?


Like the creator of the second video you referenced, I will ignore the question and ask a better one.

Why are you so insecure about your religious beliefs that you have to go around attacking other religions? If you disagree with another religion in any way, then go ahead and say so, but not only have you voiced your opinion whenever you were given the opportunity, you have now created 2 specifically anti-religion forums. In both, you did not list the reasons why you believe what you believe. Instead, you cited youtube videos, followed by condescending remarks about the religious beliefs of others.

And just out of curiosity, what do you expect to accomplish? Do you really think that if you insult their religions enough, theists of any kind will convert to atheism? Furthermore, why would you want them to?


Try and try again to make people think, thats all, most people shut of there brain wen it comes to religion, all I am doing to do is make them use there heads. Any how I have 3 religious debates now. One dealing with why do you not believe in the Viking gods.


The why did I make this thread?
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=dASSKuZlpdk&feature=related

"On the topic of your post" And This person who is a great speaker, has the same Ideals as me, wen it comes to debating religions.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=I5cXWElb-GE&feature=related


571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 12/27/08

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


madlibbs wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

Why do Christians celebrate Christmas?
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=12F6_oCyTcY&NR=1
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=H9f0OD1p90o&NR=1

As well all know the worshiping of other God is a sin in the eyes of your lord.
It is also a sin to celebrate pagan advents. So my question to Christians is simple enough. Is this celebration worth going to hell over? Or is it that as long as you cherry pick you bible you feel no guilt in celebrating of a pagan God with no fear of your angry war gods wrath?


Like the creator of the second video you referenced, I will ignore the question and ask a better one.

Why are you so insecure about your religious beliefs that you have to go around attacking other religions? If you disagree with another religion in any way, then go ahead and say so, but not only have you voiced your opinion whenever you were given the opportunity, you have now created 2 specifically anti-religion forums. In both, you did not list the reasons why you believe what you believe. Instead, you cited youtube videos, followed by condescending remarks about the religious beliefs of others.

And just out of curiosity, what do you expect to accomplish? Do you really think that if you insult their religions enough, theists of any kind will convert to atheism? Furthermore, why would you want them to?


Try and try again to make people think, thats all, most people shut of there brain wen it comes to religion, all I am doing to do is make them use there heads. Any how I have 3 religious debates now. One dealing with why do you not believe in the Viking gods.


The why did I make this thread?
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=dASSKuZlpdk&feature=related

"On the topic of your post" And This person who is a great speaker, has the same Ideals as me, wen it comes to debating religions.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=I5cXWElb-GE&feature=related




I am all for making people think and question their beliefs, but I disagree with your method of doing so. In response to the first video, the people on fox news were clearly ignorant and intolerant of other religious beliefs, or lack thereof. It is clearly inane and unreasonable to ask people to stop expressing their beliefs because it's Jesus' birthday. God forbid that that woman would have to teach her children what atheism is (sarcasm intended). But, on the other hand, the sign did go too far. As for the second video, I don't think that insulting other religions is the best way to go about making people think. Tolerance is needed, up to a point. I have found that insulting someone's religion generally provokes a more hostile response, which is not conducive to them being open-minded about what you believe or what you say. You've already been written off as closed-minded and annoying. If instead, you ask them why they believe what they believe, in explaining their beliefs, they have no choice but to think about why they believe what they believe.
Posted 12/27/08
Out of curiosity:

I would like to know who are the people in this thread who celebrate Christmas?
Just say/write, "me."
It's only one word. I don't need an essay, ok.

or just fill this:




It's fun for me to know. (o^_^o)
4113 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/27/08
I'm not Christian, but it has to do with the pagan origins.
Posted 12/27/08
Hello!

No one knows what day Jesus Christ was born on. And we all know that the 24th & 25th of December isnt either the correct birth date, since the bible records shepherds tending their sheep in the fields on that night. This is quite unlikely to have happened during a cold winter. Historians lost facts about Jesus during the centuries, and decided to replace gods or goddess birth on the 25th December which resemblance Jesus. So in fact no will know why we must/do celebrate Christmas, cause in fact we dont really have to celebrate, though now a days we do it for the gifts and food.
13788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / In a recession
Offline
Posted 12/27/08

digs wrote:

@cuddlebuns
Not necessarily, because decorating the tree really isn't a pagan practice anymore. We don't do it as part of worshipping another thing or being. If someone preformed a wiccan ritual it would be a sin because it is idolatry, worshipping something other than God/


Well if not the tree don't people worship Santa? Or the gifts? Just because you replace the meaning behind the tree does not mean it is no longer a sin! Just because I told a "story" does not mean I didn't lie! The tree is idolatry, Idolatry is usually defined as worship of any cult image, idea, or object, as opposed to the worship of a monotheistic God. idolatry in the Hebrew Bible is defined as either:

the worship of idols (or images)
the worship of polytheistic gods by use of idols (or images)
the worship of animals or people
the use of idols in the worship of God.

People use the tree in worship to Jesus or as a celebatory aid to commemorate Jesus's birthday.......is this not IDOLATRY? Using all the objects which were stolen from other religions including paganism in commemorating Jesus birthday isn't that IDOLATRY?

I mean but Paganism and Christianity have so many similarities..........its no wonder alot of these practices were merged into current Christian practices, thanks to Constantine...........
Scientist Moderator
digs 
48142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 12/27/08

raja613 wrote:


digs wrote:

@cuddlebuns
Not necessarily, because decorating the tree really isn't a pagan practice anymore. We don't do it as part of worshipping another thing or being. If someone preformed a wiccan ritual it would be a sin because it is idolatry, worshipping something other than God/


Well if not the tree don't people worship Santa? Or the gifts? Just because you replace the meaning behind the tree does not mean it is no longer a sin! Just because I told a "story" does not mean I didn't lie! The tree is idolatry, Idolatry is usually defined as worship of any cult image, idea, or object, as opposed to the worship of a monotheistic God. idolatry in the Hebrew Bible is defined as either:

the worship of idols (or images)
the worship of polytheistic gods by use of idols (or images)
the worship of animals or people
the use of idols in the worship of God.

People use the tree in worship to Jesus or as a celebatory aid to commemorate Jesus's birthday.......is this not IDOLATRY? Using all the objects which were stolen from other religions including paganism in commemorating Jesus birthday isn't that IDOLATRY?

I mean but Paganism and Christianity have so many similarities..........its no wonder alot of these practices were merged into current Christian practices, thanks to Constantine...........


It is a sin to worship santa and be greedy for gifts. Christianity doesn't promote the commercial aspects of Christmas (Santa, tree, etc...)

Technically the tree wasn't part of paganism (from what I understand) and that it originated in Germany as a Christmas tradition. People decorate the tree to be festive and make it look pretty, it isn't an act of worship. Technically we don't use any traditional Christmas stuff to worship God (although gift giving and selflessness is a form of worship)
33884 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 12/27/08
Lol, those vids were great.

I now have no guilt in celebrating Christmas.
13214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47
Offline
Posted 8/22/09
i read it was derived from the roman feast of saturnalia..then the other one..in celebration of the passover
Posted 8/22/09
Thread is outdated.

~Locked
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.