First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Illegal Immigration
2198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / ...
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
well if the U.S helped mexico in turning its economy around it could create more jobs in mexico resulting in less illegal aliens.
17206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
Just leave them alone... they do all the poopy jobs so you don't have too. >.>


Mexico is very poor... I kinda feel sorry for them. =(
Scientist Moderator
digs 
48142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
I am supportive of a ban. If your not a US citizen then you shouldn't be recieving our benefits. Illegals don't pay taxes, they demand that America change things to appeal to them, and they are a negetive to the US economy and budget. Illegal children who go to school are a negative to the budget because their parents don't pay taxes. Some who wind up on welfare are also a negative. And then they avoid social security.

Coming here illegaly is against the law. If your here and your illegal you should be deported and moved to the back of the line for citizenship. No special treatment.

If all the illegal jobs were given to US citizens then unimployment would lower, and that would mean less people on welfare.
1459 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / some CRAPPY place...
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
YEA TO BE HONEST

i fuck up doing my job if i don't have Mexicans i can do my job more easer

I JUST FIND OUT YESTERDAY

they report over 100 workers an i now i have to do all they THERE job

NO OFFENCE
8990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / Ronald McDonald's...
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
I know I don't live where you guys live, you still sound very stuck up to me, so I suggest you read this book. I'm not really into the author, but I thought it gave me a good idea of the situation. Both sides. Here's the wicki article:

Plot summary
Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.
The Tortilla Curtain is the story of two couples who have nothing in common except the fact that they live in the same area. The two people the quote from The Grapes of Wrath alludes to are Cándido and América, two young Mexicans who have illegally entered the United States and who are dreaming of the good life in their own little house somewhere in California. Meanwhile, they are homeless and camping in the Topanga Canyon area of Los Angeles, in the hills above Malibu. Another couple, Delaney and Kyra Mossbacher, have also recently moved to Topanga, in order to be closer to nature yet to enjoy the amenities of city life. Wealthy, health-conscious people, Kyra is a successful real estate agent while Delaney keeps house, looks after Kyra's son by her first marriage and writes a regular column for an environmentalist magazine.

The two couples' paths cross unexpectedly when Cándido is hit and injured by Delaney, who is driving his car along the suburban roads near his home. For different reasons, each man prefers not to call the police or an ambulance, and Delaney soothes his conscience by giving Cándido some money to be treated for his injuries. From that moment on, the lives of the two couples are constantly influenced by the other through various acts leading the novel on.

After the accident, Cándido's problems deepen. With América pregnant, his shame at not being able to get a job and procure a home and food for his family increases, especially when América decides to find some illegal--and possibly dangerous--work herself. At one point in the novel, they have to go through the trash cans behind a convenience store so as not to starve.

The Mossbachers are also having problems, though of an altogether different nature. Comfortably settled in their new home, they are faced with the cruelty of nature when one of their two pet dogs is killed by a coyote. Also, the majority of inhabitants of their exclusive estate feel increasingly disturbed and threatened by the presence of, as they see it, potentially criminal illegal aliens and vote for a wall to be built around the whole estate.

Candido has a stroke of luck when, at a grocery store, he is given a free turkey by another customer, who has just won it in the store's Thanksgiving promotion. When, back in their shelter, Cándido starts roasting the bird, he inadvertently causes a fire which spreads so quickly that even the gated community the Mossbachers live in has to be evacuated.

In the midst of the escalating disasters, América gives birth to a daughter, whom she suspects might be blind. But the couple of course have no money to have little Socorro (Spanish: help) examined by a doctor.

Time and again in the novel, however, it is hinted at that the real perpetrators can be found inside rather than outside the projected wall: well-to-do people insensitive to the plight of the have-nots; WASP racists afraid of being overrun by Latinos and of the end of white supremacy; business people employing illegal immigrants to maximise their own profit without caring for the social security of those who work for them; and convicts posing as honourable members of society.

Spoilers end here.

[edit] Literary significance & criticism
The Tortilla Curtain is often read by language classes in high schools all over the world to examine the topic of immigration and the gap between rich and poor.

Boyle himself says that when it first came out it was

“ ...my most controversial novel. Because it dealt with a hot-button socio-political issue -- illegal immigration in Southern California -- many of the reviewers came into the book with strong prejudices. I took a good deal of abuse, including (my favorite instance) being called "human garbage" on a call-in radio show in San Francisco. As people have had a chance to think about the book more deeply over the course of the past few years, the furor has died down and The Tortilla Curtain has become a modern classic, by far my most popular title, widely read in high schools and universities around the country. ”

The book consciously evokes Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath, and opens with an epigraph from that novel:

“ They ain't human. A human being wouldn't live like they do. A human being couldn't stand it to be so dirty and miserable. [1] ”
1459 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / some CRAPPY place...
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
uh i dont want to read all that

make summary
17206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/5/07

digs wrote:

I am supportive of a ban. If your not a US citizen then you shouldn't be recieving our benefits. Illegals don't pay taxes, they demand that America change things to appeal to them, and they are a negetive to the US economy and budget. Illegal children who go to school are a negative to the budget because their parents don't pay taxes. Some who wind up on welfare are also a negative. And then they avoid social security.

Coming here illegaly is against the law. If your here and your illegal you should be deported and moved to the back of the line for citizenship. No special treatment.

If all the illegal jobs were given to US citizens then unimployment would lower, and that would mean less people on welfare.


I'm sure your point of view would be different if you were in their shoes....
1459 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / some CRAPPY place...
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
they use to make shoes

NOW I HAVE TO MAKE THEM FOR THE NEXT FEW MONTHS
Scientist Moderator
digs 
48142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/5/07

naruto9817 wrote:


digs wrote:

I am supportive of a ban. If your not a US citizen then you shouldn't be recieving our benefits. Illegals don't pay taxes, they demand that America change things to appeal to them, and they are a negetive to the US economy and budget. Illegal children who go to school are a negative to the budget because their parents don't pay taxes. Some who wind up on welfare are also a negative. And then they avoid social security.

Coming here illegaly is against the law. If your here and your illegal you should be deported and moved to the back of the line for citizenship. No special treatment.

If all the illegal jobs were given to US citizens then unimployment would lower, and that would mean less people on welfare.


I'm sure your point of view would be different if you were in their shoes....


Maybe it would, but the fact is, is that I would wait and become a legal citizen. America should not be the mother to the world. Meaning we need to focus on our needs and give unimployed people the jobs that the illegal imagrints have.

and ernesto, if your not going to read peoples posts. type like you don't know english, and are going to be racist then leave.

2198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / ...
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
maybe the problem is theres too many fat americans and most employers are all about looks, there are alot of thin mexicans out there
8990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / Ronald McDonald's...
Offline
Posted 5/5/07

ernesto17 wrote:

uh i dont want to read all that

make summary



It is a summary...

Edit: This was more @ seraph and killar anyway, since they were pretty distinctive about the matter.
1459 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / some CRAPPY place...
Offline
Posted 5/5/07

digs wrote:


naruto9817 wrote:


digs wrote:

I am supportive of a ban. If your not a US citizen then you shouldn't be recieving our benefits. Illegals don't pay taxes, they demand that America change things to appeal t
them, and they are a negetive to the US economy and budget. Illegal children who go to school are a negative to the budget because their parents don't pay taxes. Some who wind up on welfare are also a negative. And then they avoid social security.

Coming here illegaly is against the law. If your here and your illegal you should be deported and moved to the back of the line for citizenship. No special treatment.

If all the illegal jobs were given to US citizens then unimployment would lower, and that would mean less people on welfare.


I'm sure your point of view would be different if you were in their shoes....


Maybe it would, but the fact is, is that I would wait and become a legal citizen. America should not be the mother to the world. Meaning we need to focus on our needs and give unimployed people the jobs that the illegal imagrints have.

and ernesto, if your not going to read peoples posts. type like you don't know english, and are going to be racist then leave.




well he got point in saying that we need to see them if were in them shoes

but more likely i have white folks that want to do some work the company but when they do it the demand more and some of the time they dont work how i want them too

so i go with some of the emigrants they work hard and they less complain ....not like the white folks they all ways complaining

17206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/5/07

digs wrote:


naruto9817 wrote:


digs wrote:

I am supportive of a ban. If your not a US citizen then you shouldn't be recieving our benefits. Illegals don't pay taxes, they demand that America change things to appeal to them, and they are a negetive to the US economy and budget. Illegal children who go to school are a negative to the budget because their parents don't pay taxes. Some who wind up on welfare are also a negative. And then they avoid social security.

Coming here illegaly is against the law. If your here and your illegal you should be deported and moved to the back of the line for citizenship. No special treatment.

If all the illegal jobs were given to US citizens then unimployment would lower, and that would mean less people on welfare.


I'm sure your point of view would be different if you were in their shoes....


Maybe it would, but the fact is, is that I would wait and become a legal citizen. America should not be the mother to the world. Meaning we need to focus on our needs and give unimployed people the jobs that the illegal imagrints have.

and ernesto, if your not going to read peoples posts. type like you don't know english, and are going to be racist then leave.



Okay, so you don't think we should help the people in need? Just make them wait in a 'line' if there even is one,...
1459 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / some CRAPPY place...
Offline
Posted 5/5/07

ahojcookie wrote:


ernesto17 wrote:

uh i dont want to read all that

make summary



It is a summary...

Edit: This was more @ seraph and killar anyway, since they were pretty distinctive about the matter.


dude no offense but is long summary
4473 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Mexico
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
Watch the movie "A Day Without a Mexican"
That would be a scary situation to find the US in. It will show you just how important these illigal imigrants are
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.