First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Evolution and Creationism in School
289 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Birmingham
Offline
Posted 12/31/08
In the UK its call R.E. where they teach creationism. However not everybody believes in the bible or is a christian. Science is practical and works on evidence, where as religion is on belief.
If a schools gonna teach about creationism it should also teach creationism believes in otheer religions.
1231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M
Offline
Posted 12/31/08
Europe, having to live with multiple religions, gets a better grip on the massive problems that those promoting creationism (even disregarding the fact it has 0 evidence and is not a science) in the US are blind to. Perhaps the schools in the US should teach about the chinese ceation myths of Pan Gu or the indian hindu myths of the purusha. Perhaps they shoud teach everything here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_myth
2273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 12/31/08
and why is it that the U.S is the Only advance developed nation that have people pushing for creationism in schools and calling for creationism to be labelled as science?
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 12/31/08 , edited 12/31/08

QuasimodoSunday wrote:


SeraphAlford wrote:

Do you think that public schools should teach creationism as well as evolution? Some people feel that it is inappropriate to only introduce children to one side of the debate. How do you feel?

I think high schools and middle schools should provide an elective class in theology. That way the option of introducing your child to creationism as well as evolution is available. It's a moderate compromise that leaves everyone happy.


Absolutely. As long both is kept as much to a current academic level without any attempts of :"conversian" from both parties. Even as an Atheist, I always find it hypocritical that public schools teach about Eastern religions and Islam at an academic level yet Chritianity is not allowed even if it is academic. Heck college have classes on Christian Theology that is purely academic, Why can't public schools do the same?
As a side note, I'm also all for classes about the History of Homosexuality in schools as well.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Seraph.


Nah, don't give em that, once you give em the "Ok simply because you people wouldn't stop bitching about this, we're gonna do this so you shut the fuck up" They're gonna want more and more, and not know when to fucking stop, kinda like they are doing right now.

And besides, who the fuck could honestly believe, that this planet or universe, i can't remember which, was created in 7 days, and 2 people populated this world, (btw, that would involve lots of incest, which christains frown upon, which is illogical) and humans are the spitting image of some all powerful being who lives in this wonderful place where nothing goes wrong, and there is no crime, that somehow magically floats in the sky ? We are the result of millions of years of evolution, when the 1s't of the homo genus appeared on this rock as homo-habilis around 2 million years ago when it evolved from the Australopithecus genus.

Christanity arealdy has too big of a hold on this pathetic country. Why give em more of a hold on it ? Seriously, they believe some weird and complete bullshit, I want facts taught in our schools, not fiction. Teach kids real facts, not some make believe shit that will just confuse them. Our schools areadly have too many problems, we don't need to give them more problems than they have arealdy.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 12/31/08

shinto-male wrote:

and why is it that the U.S is the Only advance developed nation that have people pushing for creationism in schools and calling for creationism to be labelled as science?


Because the US is run by idiot christains, who don't use their mind and actually think about what they are believing in at all, they just mindlessly believe in it, and think because they were stupid enough to believe in it, everyone else must be stupid like them and everyone else should believe it too, so they try to push their retarded religion onto everyone else.
1846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Davis, California
Offline
Posted 12/31/08 , edited 12/31/08

Allhailodin wrote:


QuasimodoSunday wrote:


SeraphAlford wrote:

Do you think that public schools should teach creationism as well as evolution? Some people feel that it is inappropriate to only introduce children to one side of the debate. How do you feel?

I think high schools and middle schools should provide an elective class in theology. That way the option of introducing your child to creationism as well as evolution is available. It's a moderate compromise that leaves everyone happy.


Absolutely. As long both is kept as much to a current academic level without any attempts of :"conversian" from both parties. Even as an Atheist, I always find it hypocritical that public schools teach about Eastern religions and Islam at an academic level yet Chritianity is not allowed even if it is academic. Heck college have classes on Christian Theology that is purely academic, Why can't public schools do the same?
As a side note, I'm also all for classes about the History of Homosexuality in schools as well.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Seraph.


Nah, don't give em that, once you give em the "Ok simply because you people wouldn't stop bitching about this, we're gonna do this so you shut the fuck up" They're gonna want more and more, and not know when to fucking stop, kinda like they are doing right now.

And besides, who the fuck could honestly believe, that this planet or universe, i can't remember which, was created in 7 days, and 2 people populated this world, (btw, that would involve lots of incest, which christains frown upon, which is illogical) and humans are the spitting image of some all powerful being who lives in this wonderful place where nothing goes wrong, and there is no crime, that somehow magically floats in the sky ? We are the result of millions of years of evolution, when the 1s't of the homo genus appeared on this rock as homo-habilis around 2 million years ago when it evolved from the Australopithecus genus.

Christanity arealdy has too big of a hold on this pathetic country. Why give em more of a hold on it ? Seriously, they believe some weird and complete bullshit, I want facts taught in our schools, not fiction. Teach kids real facts, not some make believe shit that will just confuse them. Our schools areadly have too many problems, we don't need to give them more problems than they have arealdy.


Allhailodin, I'm not proposing that people should believe in Christianity. I'm only proposing that people LEARN about it. Just because you know about something doesn't meant that you BELIEVE in it. After all does reading and knowing about "Mein Kampf" make you a believer in Hitler's ideology? No and neither does reading the Bible make you a believer in Christianity or its sects.

I mean in public schools, children are taught Mythology and were taught Eastern philosophy and religion, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Islam yet they are ALL at a academic level. Even the teachers who taught kids that material aren't necesarrily believers in them. They're simply teaching the history, ideology, origins, and culture of those beliefs. On the other hand, Christianity is not allowed to be taught in public schools even at an academic level. Heck most people don't know anything about christianity untill they go to college. Why can't people learn about it at a academic, secular, level in public schools if other religions are allowed at a academic level, secular in public schools?

Theology should be taught in a social studies course while evolution should be taught in a science course.I think that's fair

Besides, Seraph proposes that classes on Theology should be an elective course, not a required course. That way, the people who wanna know that stuff can while the people who don't can simply abstain or not joined the class at all. I think that's fair.

I'm a big believer in learning about everything this world got to offer, even if you don't believe in it. After all, the more you now, the broader perspective you have. Yes there will always be some people who willl try to convert you but they will never go away even if we banned Theology from school. Actually, most christian don't like theology taught in a secular academic manner. Last year I took a course on Abrahamic Religions and the teacher taught that Christianity originated from older religions. When he mentioned that, half the class dropped out as it contradicted their religious beleifs. So having theology being taught in a academic level is actually very anti-christian fundelmentalist.ve

People have a point when they said that it's hypocritical that non-christian religions, sex education, homosexuality, and evolution are taught in schools but not Christianity. And I reply to them "Yes and that's why I believe everything and ALL facts, concepts, ideology, culture and lives should be taught, not just selected topics. Fuck offending people, not thought provoking them or confusing them. Thought provocative and discomfort of being taught material you don't agree with or challenges you builds character."

And if you think that religion has too big of a hold on this country, then you shoud really look at societies like the Phillipines or Islamic nations. The religions of those nations have a MUCH stronger hold on their societies then Christianity does in this country. So if you put it in perspective here,Christianity in America is not THAT strong in comparison.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 12/31/08 , edited 12/31/08

QuasimodoSunday wrote:


A theology class would be fine as an elective, but these idiots want creationism as a mandatory class.


And christianity is nothing more than a bunch of fairy tales, We want facts taught in our schools, not fiction, why would we teach children utter lies ? Wy teach kids about some stupid magical man, who preformed cheap magic tricks, got some retarded followers and then got killed by them. That crap is fine for people to waste time learning about on their own. We have rather low standard test scores, religion will just make those scores lower. Teaching some idiots that the world was created in 7 days is pointless and stupid, all that will do will make our kids stupider and less intelligent as they start to believe in that crap.

A theology class is fine, but not as a mandatory class, as an elective would be cool. But as long as it's not forced onto these morons we have in school now.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 12/31/08

QuasimodoSunday wrote:

I mean in public schools, children are taught Mythology and were taught Eastern philosophy and religion, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Islam yet they are ALL at a academic level. Even the teachers who taught kids that material aren't necesarrily believers in them. They're simply teaching the history, ideology, origins, and culture of those beliefs. On the other hand, Christianity is not allowed to be taught in public schools even at an academic level. Heck most people don't know anything about christianity untill they go to college. Why can't people learn about it at a academic, secular, level in public schools if other religions are allowed at a academic level, secular in public schools?



The reason why other religions and philosophies are taught and Christianity isn't is because, at least in some parts of the country, Christianity is the most dominant religion, and (I'm guessing) the school systems already assume that most people know a lot about it because most people belong to that religion. But there's a high chance they'll never be exposed to the other religions (especially Eastern) unless they do some independent research, which most people won't bother with (especially teenagers). So it is more of an attempt to make them aware of how diverse our world is while people are still in their impressionable teen years, and hopefully prevent the seeds of ignorance from germinating within them.

Also, Christianity is the most despised religion by ignorant, loudmouth, I'm-offended-by-everything-non-scientific-and-I-judge-people-the-same-way-ignorant-Christians-judge-me-but-I'm-nothing-like-them, non-believers and atheists (who give the rest of us atheists a bad name, unfortunately), and since they are a minority we have to cater to their wishes to keep up with the whole political correctness craze.

I don't know what's going with other high schools around the country, but at mine we actually learned about Christianity along with other old world religions and philosophies, specifically how it originated and how it correlated to other religions (how the world was made, the big flood myths, human archetypes, etc). It was taught in the only mandatory class at my school that everyone has to take freshman year, Introduction to Humanities (every year after that we have different types of humanities classes to choose from). The loudmouth atheists that I mentioned earlier actually didn't mind it because the teachers didn't preach (I don't think they ever actually mentioned God) and simply told the facts like they did with other religions. These are the same guys who go around taunting people who wear cross necklaces and Jesus shirts, but don't bother anyone with a Star of David pendant or women wearing hijabs, which is a lot more common than Christian paraphernalia at my school.
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 12/31/08

Allhailodin wrote

A theology class would be fine as an elective, but these idiots want creationism as a mandatory class.


And christianity is nothing more than a bunch of fairy tales, We want facts taught in our schools, not fiction, why would we teach children utter lies ? Wy teach kids about some stupid magical man, who preformed cheap magic tricks, got some retarded followers and then got killed by them. That crap is fine for people to waste time learning about on their own. We have rather low standard test scores, religion will just make those scores lower. Teaching some idiots that the world was created in 7 days is pointless and stupid, all that will do will make our kids stupider and less intelligent as they start to believe in that crap.

A theology class is fine, but not as a mandatory class, as an elective would be cool. But as long as it's not forced onto these morons we have in school now.


Yeah, why the hell does a antireligious zealot/ nihilistic cultist care so much about this? Your opinion isn’t based on thought like you claim. It’s just based on your personal prejudice and bigotry.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 12/31/08

SeraphAlford wrote:


Allhailodin wrote

A theology class would be fine as an elective, but these idiots want creationism as a mandatory class.


And christianity is nothing more than a bunch of fairy tales, We want facts taught in our schools, not fiction, why would we teach children utter lies ? Wy teach kids about some stupid magical man, who preformed cheap magic tricks, got some retarded followers and then got killed by them. That crap is fine for people to waste time learning about on their own. We have rather low standard test scores, religion will just make those scores lower. Teaching some idiots that the world was created in 7 days is pointless and stupid, all that will do will make our kids stupider and less intelligent as they start to believe in that crap.

A theology class is fine, but not as a mandatory class, as an elective would be cool. But as long as it's not forced onto these morons we have in school now.


Yeah, why the hell does a antireligious zealot/ nihilistic cultist care so much about this? Your opinion isn’t based on thought like you claim. It’s just based on your personal prejudice and bigotry.


Haha, awesome, I love that. Judging someone before you know anything about them, how typical, do you make lots of gay jokes too ? Typical mindless drones, conforming, acting and thinking exactly like everyone else.

Hehe, I'm not antireligious per-say, I have no problem with religions existing, I have a problem with the bullshit that some religions have made the complete idiots believe. Anyone who honestly believes 100% in creationism, is a fucking idiot. Anyone who honestly believes that some magical man lives in a floating society in the sky with no crime and where nothing ever goes wrong, and everything is perfect all the time, is a fucking idiot.

So all I'm saying is why should we be teaching this fictional crap in schools ? Schools are places of learning, not fairy tales. So stuff like creationism, and christanity should not be taught in our schools. We're trying to educate the kids not turn them into bigger idiots.
17227 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 12/31/08
The dissenting views of the supporters for both perspectives may reach a clearer understanding and a compromise if we study further the similarities and differences of the two distinct explanations for human existence.

Let us first try to understand the nature of the two studies.
Evolution seeks to explain how organisms develop and progress, it is not an answer for where the first cell came from. Furthermore, cellular mutations from generation to generation are clearly observable in a biology lab. Just as we are able to logically follow "1 + 1 = 2" with "2 + 2 = 4", we should be able to conclude that since mutations can drastically impact the structure of an organism in the duration of a single generation, it should be able to do phenomenal things in a millennium.

Creationism on the other hand seeks to explain how we initially got here. Now, quite honestly we may never know for sure unless we can go back in time and witness our own creation, so any ideas or theories on genesis are made purely from inferences. We have no real evidence to support any of the genesis theories. Here I use genesis not as a restricted term to which it points only to the Bible, but all theories that try to explain how we got here. The only evidence we have to know that genesis even occurred is the very fact that we are here now, but that fact cannot tell us how we got here or who made us.

As evolution deals with genetics and mutation, it is an applicable practice and it is useful in the present. Only the genetic and mutation portions of evolution are taught as fact, where the primordial originals are taught as merely speculation and a supplement to the main theory. Now if we were to teach Creationism in school, the majority of the material taught would be taught as speculation, because there is no applicable domain for Creationism or any of its sub categories in the present day.

The genesis portion of both Evolution and Creationism are equally doubtful, but the difference between the two theories is simply that Evolution has a lot more to it than just the explanation of primordial genesis. That is the reason why it.is taught in school instead of Creationism.
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 12/31/08

Allhailodin wrote: Haha, awesome, I love that. Judging someone before you know anything about them, how typical, do you make lots of gay jokes too ? Typical mindless drones, conforming, acting and thinking exactly like everyone else.


The irony of that paragraph is awe-inspiring.
16642 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Chi town
Offline
Posted 12/31/08
If you want to teach your kids creationism, there are things for that. Catholic school and CCD.
Posted 12/31/08
Creationism is a absurd idea with no scientific backing whatsoever. I don't go to school to be told magical unexplainable phenomena made me, I go to school to learn thing's that people can actually back up.

If people start teaching creationism in school I also want us to be forced to learn Scientology. Just for teh lulz.
Posted 12/31/08

excalion wrote:

The dissenting views of the supporters for both perspectives may reach a clearer understanding and a compromise if we study further the similarities and differences of the two distinct explanations for human existence.

Let us first try to understand the nature of the two studies.
Evolution seeks to explain how organisms develop and progress, it is not an answer for where the first cell came from. Furthermore, cellular mutations from generation to generation are clearly observable in a biology lab. Just as we are able to logically follow "1 + 1 = 2" with "2 + 2 = 4", we should be able to conclude that since mutations can drastically impact the structure of an organism in the duration of a single generation, it should be able to do phenomenal things in a millennium.

Creationism on the other hand seeks to explain how we initially got here. Now, quite honestly we may never know for sure unless we can go back in time and witness our own creation, so any ideas or theories on genesis are made purely from inferences. We have no real evidence to support any of the genesis theories. Here I use genesis not as a restricted term to which it points only to the Bible, but all theories that try to explain how we got here. The only evidence we have to know that genesis even occurred is the very fact that we are here now, but that fact cannot tell us how we got here or who made us.

As evolution deals with genetics and mutation, it is an applicable practice and it is useful in the present. Only the genetic and mutation portions of evolution are taught as fact, where the primordial originals are taught as merely speculation and a supplement to the main theory. Now if we were to teach Creationism in school, the majority of the material taught would be taught as speculation, because there is no applicable domain for Creationism or any of its sub categories in the present day.

The genesis portion of both Evolution and Creationism are equally doubtful, but the difference between the two theories is simply that Evolution has a lot more to it than just the explanation of primordial genesis. That is the reason why it.is taught in school instead of Creationism.

That's not exactly true. Theories such as the big bang are supported by evidence like red shift. That's why it's able to be tought in school, there are backing's for it but it is still not proven.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.