First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Classical Music
11659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/5/07 , edited 5/6/07
Youth these days are caught up in the whole rap scene, and I used to be like that, however I now find much more satisfaction in classical music.

With anime/drama such as Nodame Cantabile, I feel that there is a revival of interest in real music within the youth culture. I know that many CRs are of asian ethnicity, and like k-pop and j-pop, etc, but I was wondering if you guys listen to classical music, and if so, what are your recommendations?

So far I've been going from Satie to Holst and I am into music that uses either alot of percussion and brass to produce a noble sound, or something on the piano which is more lonely and introspective.

Resources to d/l classical music for free
http://www.classiccat.net/
http://www.musikethos.org/wiki/me.php/Download/Homepage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustav_Holst Holst's wiki entry offers 3 selections from The Planet's which I like very much and have had commercial success much like Sadie's Gymnopedie # 1.
16481 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Philippines♥
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
i like classical music...many of my friends dont know that because they think i am far from that... clAssical music is soothing to hear...maKes me reLAx..many people disagree i know..weLL every1 got diffErent opinions...n this one !!!
Posted 5/5/07
^^ Loving that. Great tastes in music =]

Classical music has always been one of my favourite genres if not my favourite. Many people find it strange that I have the likes of Rachmaninov, Chopin and Bartok etc on my iPod.
I love concertos - especially piano concertos. I view it as a slight competition between the instrument and the orchestra to see who can better each other. Absolutely thrilling. I play the piano so I love knowing the fact that piano can be a group instrument as well as a solo one. Not many instruments have that.

I think people need to recognise that classical music was one of the foundations that today's music is based upon. People are so ready to slag off and criticise classical music, saying it's boring.
If you take time to study and learn how the composer's themselves came to write the music, the meanings that the scores represents, how the individual notes is equivalent to a brush stroke in paintings, classical music is actually fascinating. Great example is Holt's "The Planets". "Mars" especially is absolutely amazing.

*EDIT: Think about the fact that today's popular music comes and goes every single week, easily forgotten about and the fact that some pieces of classical music have survived centuries and are still as memorable and as famous as when they were first performed [i.e. Radetsky March by Strauss, Beethoven's 5th Symphony and Fur Elise, Tchaikovsky's Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy]. Strange, then, that so many people criticise classical music.
289 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Southern California
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
I like classical. Mostly anything with the cello (doesn't even have to be classical) Cellos = sexy imho ! :D

Death Note has an awesome piece whenever he is serving Justice think it's number 11 on the soundtrack!
6347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / SDF-1
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
I love classical guitar music and I play it myself.
Posted 5/5/07
I personally listen to a wide range of music, basically everything except for rap and hip-hop.

Classical music is really great in lots of ways, still it doesn't hold the same interest that good jazz does for me. Still, here are my suggestions;

Piano;
Beethoven Piano Sonatas - they are the piano pieces which you have to know or play... including the Sonata in C-sharp minor [The Moonlight] and the Sonata in C-minor [Pathetique] - the best recordings are by Vladimir Ashkenazy and Alfred Brendel.

Satie's piano music is interesting as well, mostly it's just a bit of fun for the pianist though.

Chopin is great to listen to... his Piano Etudes are horribly complicated, but they are real masterworks.

Mendelson is also worth a listen

Orchestral;
Copland - he wrote one of my favourite pieces, Fanfare for the Common man, his other works, such as Appalachian Spring and Billy the Kid are really great too.

Organ;
Bach's Organ Works are (arguably) the greatest pieces ever written for the organ... they have what could be described as a "noble" sound... but also have nice tunes and lots of interesting music hidden away within them.
Posted 5/5/07

henz_lan wrote:

Still, here are my suggestions;

Piano;
Beethoven Piano Sonatas - they are the piano pieces which you have to know or play... including the Sonata in C-sharp minor [The Moonlight] and the Sonata in C-minor [Pathetique] - the best recordings are by Vladimir Ashkenazy and Alfred Brendel.



I can play them - yea yea!!
Probably not as well as Ashkenazy and Brendel though.
The Adagio Cantabile part in Pathetique is my favourite part and, I guess, also most famous part as well. =]

I recommend Mozart's Piano Sonatas as well, just to get an idea of how young he was when he composed his first sonata and the technicalities and details that he placed into his work.
1330 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
Vivaldi-especially requim,its my favourite classical piece,its soo nice.I think 'one winged angel' the advent children song copied abit of it,im very sure.

Tchaikovsky is also pretty good

im a youth but im not caught in the rap scene
80s Rock is the best :D
3348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Heaven's Pillar
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
I LOVE CLASSICAL MUSIC!!!. . .in fact i even listen to a classical radio online. . .its so heartwarming and it brings peace of mind in anybody who listens to it. . .(that would be my personal thought). .well, anyways, i really like to listen to piano concertos and violin compositions. . .also, Rennaissance music is a favorite of mine. . .
Posted 5/5/07

henz_lan wrote:

I personally listen to a wide range of music, basically everything except for rap and hip-hop.

Classical music is really great in lots of ways, still it doesn't hold the same interest that good jazz does for me. Still, here are my suggestions;

Piano;
Beethoven Piano Sonatas - they are the piano pieces which you have to know or play... including the Sonata in C-sharp minor [The Moonlight] and the Sonata in C-minor [Pathetique] - the best recordings are by Vladimir Ashkenazy and Alfred Brendel.

Satie's piano music is interesting as well, mostly it's just a bit of fun for the pianist though.

Chopin is great to listen to... his Piano Etudes are horribly complicated, but they are real masterworks.

Mendelson is also worth a listen

Orchestral;
Copland - he wrote one of my favourite pieces, Fanfare for the Common man, his other works, such as Appalachian Spring and Billy the Kid are really great too.

Organ;
Bach's Organ Works are (arguably) the greatest pieces ever written for the organ... they have what could be described as a "noble" sound... but also have nice tunes and lots of interesting music hidden away within them.



You just wrote what's on my mind
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
Yes, I love classical music. I listen to:
Tchaikovsky
Chopin
Beethoven
Bach
Brahms
Stravinsky
you get the idea.

oh and classical guitar as well

De Lucia
Segovia
Fernando Sor

I'm bad with names, that's all I can recall at the moment.
4565 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / somewhere in silence
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
*waaah* Lain loves classical music anything with a piano I can listen to over and over...

I have never been embarassed about liking it either, one of my best friends is into it to, that and opera music

ppl always think its only for old ppl I'm like good music is good music...
8990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / Ronald McDonald's...
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
I sometimes like to listen to it. I'm not much of a connaisseur though. Still, I'm sure Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Chopin and Debussy are pretty much worth giving it a try.
23685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 5/5/07
Eeh. No matter what type of music I listen to, I generally don't like mainstream/happy songs. Therefore I don't like the hotshots like Chopin, Beethoven, Mozart, Nobuo (guy who does FF songs...)

Used to play in a concert band, and I found that I really like Joe Hisaishi's 'Mononoke Hime Medley' (full 8 min version). Still remembered the score by heart for my Clarinet part since 4 years ago. Since then, I've taken a liking to Ed Huckeby's 'By the rivers of Babylon', and then it developed to Mark Mancina's scores for Blood+ (has one of the awesomest compositions after Joe Hisaishi) and lately I've been listening to Sergei Vasilievich Rachmaninoff for his more melancholic pieces. Even though, I still prefer the former 3. My absolute faves are definitely Joe Hisaishi and Mark Mancina though, for their more eastern influenced melodies.
Posted 5/5/07

animoo_x wrote:


henz_lan wrote:

Still, here are my suggestions;

Piano;
Beethoven Piano Sonatas - they are the piano pieces which you have to know or play... including the Sonata in C-sharp minor [The Moonlight] and the Sonata in C-minor [Pathetique] - the best recordings are by Vladimir Ashkenazy and Alfred Brendel.



I can play them - yea yea!!
Probably not as well as Ashkenazy and Brendel though.
The Adagio Cantabile part in Pathetique is my favourite part and, I guess, also most famous part as well. =]


Brendel once said;
"You cannot be young and play Beethoven well." [or something like that]
- taking what he did as an example I'd agree

I also listen to quite a bit of choral music, Bruckner's motets are really nice, on the heavier textural side there's always Handel and Bach... John Taverner writes interesting scores as well, not to my personal listening taste though.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.