First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Atheism and Religion
Posted 1/24/09
I view it as dangerous when it is in regards to a nations leaders thought process and how they approach dealing with other countries believes and ways of life. Atheism I view in a better light since I think humanity is being held back in science and technological advances in medicine and overall achievement by religion. I think religion needs to be cut from the political arena.
Posted 1/24/09

Cuddlebuns wrote:


chelseabel wrote:

atheism is against christianity right? and agnostic is believing in nothing.


right?


Atheism isn't against any religion, that's anti-theism. Atheism is the lack of belief in a deity, agnosticism is the belief that we can never truly know if there is or isn't a higher power.


oh. okay. thanks very much for the info.
16241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/24/09
The fact is: Atheism, Religion. Is...really...equally bad. or equally 'good'

For religion, you CANNOT and SHOULD NOT condemn the religion base on the things the PEOPLE did. You should judge the religion AFTER you have got to know which ever religion it is. Not by the PEOPLE. 'cause that just leads to a whole chain of problems. You judge by the text. Not by the people. Because simply, the people understand the 'bible' (i'm merely using Christianity as an example) interperted the religion themselves in the first place. They're a SECONDARY source.

For Atheism, really, atheism is a belief in it self. You have to BELIEVE that there is no God. Its much easier to believe that than to believe that there IS a God(my view at least). For all the stupid things that the Atheists did. They didn't do it in the name of God. They were stupid. Anything that involves killing others of any kind is STUPID. Yes. They were stupid to do so. Just like the religious people. What I'm saying here is that, don't condemn Atheists for the stupid things that some did. 'cause mind you, religion did a lot of stupid things as well.
______________________________________________

Do I feel either one is dangerous? I personally don't really like the fact that some religious groups (thou shall not be named) like to use the name of God to do stupid things. Stupid things like starting a war. I find it purely stupid. Whatever they may believe otherwise.

Do I condemn either one? No. I don't. I'm personally a Deist -- I believe 'god' set the universe in motion, but didn't meddle with it afterward. So I'm not exactly a theist, nor an atheist. --- I really believe, whatever you truly believe in. Go ahead and believe. Don't condemn others. Don't do 'sinful' things. Don't do stupid things. That's it.
124 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / CHI-TOWN!!!!!!!!...
Offline
Posted 1/24/09
i dont know what to believe so i dont believe anything. my moms mason and my dads christian. some other ppl in my family are satanists. so many religions. freaking confusing as heck
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 1/24/09

Lolikon wrote:

Christianity puts people in such fear of many things today in the world. Some extremists will treat other humans beings as less than them simply because they are doing something that is "against God's word". I'm not just speaking for people of a different sexual orientation, I'm also speaking for those who listen to rock and different genres of it (or better known to most Christians as The Devil's Music). And whatever happened to separation of church and state? Slowly more Religious beliefs are rules are being taken to heart and even people who don't believe in Christianity or are of another faith have to abide by these rules. This could potentially turn into something dangerous depending on how many more people continue to shove Christianity down other people's throats.


i dont get what your saying? what country are u talking about? In the USA seperation of church and state exists.What religious beliefs are becoming laws? please elaberate.peace over war
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 1/24/09

superninjaboy wrote:

I view it as dangerous when it is in regards to a nations leaders thought process and how they approach dealing with other countries believes and ways of life. Atheism I view in a better light since I think humanity is being held back in science and technological advances in medicine and overall achievement by religion. I think religion needs to be cut from the political arena.



in what country does religion hold back overall achievement?religion doesnt even play a noticible part in secular country's politics.
peace over war
Posted 1/25/09

JJT2 wrote:


superninjaboy wrote:

I view it as dangerous when it is in regards to a nations leaders thought process and how they approach dealing with other countries believes and ways of life. Atheism I view in a better light since I think humanity is being held back in science and technological advances in medicine and overall achievement by religion. I think religion needs to be cut from the political arena.



in what country does religion hold back overall achievement?religion doesnt even play a noticible part in secular country's politics.
peace over war


I mainly mean in terms of stem cell research and "Playing god" type sciences. I regret not posting that there are other factors holding us back, like the oil industry and what I think is it trying to prevent an onslaught of earth friendly oil free energy solutions. Did not mean to single out religion as the root cause (My bad).
Posted 4/9/09
both religion & atheism is dangerous when people take it to another level
112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / somewhere in the...
Offline
Posted 4/9/09

pinanda94 wrote:

i dont know what to believe so i dont believe anything. my moms mason and my dads christian. some other ppl in my family are satanists. so many religions. freaking confusing as heck



Poor thing. No matter what religion you pick make sure it makes you a better person. Don't pick something just because what your parents believe pick something because it makes you feel better, because you agree with its principles. You might want to give other religions a try: Taoism for example has a very interesting philosophy and if in the end nothing satisfies you then you might just go agnostic and live a happy and peaceful life away from all religion.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 4/9/09

pinanda94 wrote:

i dont know what to believe so i dont believe anything. my moms mason and my dads christian. some other ppl in my family are satanists. so many religions. freaking confusing as heck


Well then don't believe anything, you don't have to believe anything so why would you ? nothing wrong with that.
112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / somewhere in the...
Offline
Posted 4/9/09

Allhailodin wrote:


pinanda94 wrote:

i dont know what to believe so i dont believe anything. my moms mason and my dads christian. some other ppl in my family are satanists. so many religions. freaking confusing as heck


Well then don't believe anything, you don't have to believe anything so why would you ? nothing wrong with that.


Having a faith can be helpful at times; it is better to try it out before deciding you don't actually need a faith.

10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 4/9/09 , edited 4/9/09

Nedesukawaii wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:


pinanda94 wrote:

i dont know what to believe so i dont believe anything. my moms mason and my dads christian. some other ppl in my family are satanists. so many religions. freaking confusing as heck


Well then don't believe anything, you don't have to believe anything so why would you ? nothing wrong with that.


Having a faith can be helpful at times; it is better to try it out before deciding you don't actually need a faith.



Yeah, but if your not careful your church is gonna try to brainwash you and condem her being open mined and deciding things for herself, which are all good things btw. so not being brainwashed by the church is better then being brainwashed by the church correct ? If she doesn't believe in anything now, and its working out fine, why change that, simply to believe ? you don't need a religion to help you live your life, people are perfectly capable of living good lives without needing to take faith in some higher power, those who need the comfort and support of some higher power are generally weak minded people. I don't personally feel like being brain washed into believing all that stupid shit they try to get you to believe. doubt anyone else feels like being brainwashed either
112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / somewhere in the...
Offline
Posted 4/9/09 , edited 4/9/09
A lot of great and smart men have decided to believe in some higher power. Simply saying believing is for the weak of mind is quite offensive sir. Believing in a higher power does not mean to surrender your being to some human institution (because that is what churches are).
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 4/9/09

Nedesukawaii wrote:

A lot of great and smart men have decided to believe in some higher power. Simply saying believing is for the weak of mind is quite offensive sir.


I never said simply "believing" in a higher power makes you weak minded people cause that's not true, i said the people who need the "comfort and support" to get through the day and life, because they can't do it on their own are weak minded people. There's a difference. a big difference.
112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / somewhere in the...
Offline
Posted 4/9/09
Getting comfort and support is part of what you gain from believing; they go by the hand. Besides you sir added "to get through the day and life, because they can't do it on their own" to the original sentence. That addition changes quite a bit your original statement to make the "big difference" you speak about :3
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.