First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Religion: The misconceptions of some geniuses in CR
6268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/4/09
define soul, the word soul imo means the consiousnes of a person, when the body dies the soul dies with it.
i see the word soul as my thoughts, these are ceated by my brain, and if my brain stops then my thoughts also stop and then im dead, u see the soul as something like ur thoughts and actions that will leave the body when the body dies/
4557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bermuda Triangle
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

alupihan45 wrote:


crunchypibb wrote:

To Thread Starter:
Yay, we have somebody who isn't stupid and can defend religious people (of all religions, I'm hoping).
Note to atheist:
Physical evidence is not the only evidence that exists out there. Actual a purely materialist world would be impossible because you would have to explain how gravity and other forces exist. And even if you can see them at a microscopic level doesn't mean you can explain their behaviors. Don't even get me started with consciousness either.

Pic unrelated

LoL. Don't praise me like that. In some aspect, I am stupid like math and love.

Everyone can defend his/her religion. Just don't be too emotional and start attacking someone.
Note: Do not force your religion, however, correct their misconceptions about your religion. I noticed a lot of people have severe misconceptions when it comes to religion.



That's like 90% of cr and they're usually 16 and under. They're not people, they're adolescence who have never explored outside of their own religion. Same could go for the atheist as well. I am never like most of cr and be glad of that. However I don't think this "crusade" will ever end since the new people never really read or learn from these types of threads anyways. At least now I've gotten to know the users who are smart religious wise.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

QuasimodoSunday wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:


amersfoort wrote:

well the reason to fuck it up is to see wich people do good things, and i completly disagree with u about the lie that this world is fucked up, and i doubt that a god would do anything for fun, so making a evil world practicly brings out the good of some people but yet why even doing that if u can let all humans live in harmony?


So a god doesn't get bored ? If i was a god like being and got bored, I would make the world a messed up place just to see what happens. And besides people are animals, and animal instincts tend to take over in bad situations. And btw there is no such thing as "good" and "evil" as good/evil are just personal opinions and vary from person to person.

And if i was god and made the world an "Evil" place to bring out the good in people, even I know that that would fail, and backfire on me. And besides a world where everyone lived in harmony with each other would be really boring. Its fun to have disagreements and differences of opinion. If everyone got along with each other, I would be bored 24/7. I like to watch what people do what they get into fights and disagreements. its always interesting. So we need stuff like racism and sexism and general differences of opinions to keep this place fun and interesting.


As much as I hate dumbasses, racists, sexists, religious fundamentalists/zealots,bigots,homophobes, idiots and countless other people, I guess the world would be a pretty boring place without them or conflict of difference in opinion. I mean what else is more entertaining then hearing mass amounts of bullshit coming out of their mouths or arguing?!

Of course the world could always be better and it has in certain ways but even when those idiot gain less and less power on the human race they will never go away entirely and that's enough for me. They keep me entertained at least.haha.


Pshh, without racists, sexists, feminists, religious nuts, this place would be boring as fuck, same goes for Murder, Rape, Incest and all that other good stuff, with out those, this place would also be boring.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

FZTime wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:


In history, there have been different times where things have happened to support God, such as the story of Fatima or Guatemala. There's also evidence to disprove God, like wars and death of children. You can't fully prove God with logic or concrete evidence, but you can't disprove him with logic or concrete evidence either.


While that is true,that raises a question "why believe in something that might not exist" ? If it can't be proved nor disproved, why worship it and spend your life praying and doing all that stuff, if the possibility exists that it's all for nothing ?


In my opinion, people who believe in God do great things. Priests and nuns give people hope and calm their fears. Missionaries try to help the poor and the suffering. Religion is not all bad.


Sure, but religion is also the cause for mass suffering and deaths, lots of wars have been started over religion, thus lots of people have died because of it as well, It has caused lots off suffering too. So its not purely a good thing now is it ?


people belive in something that might not exist that is because they need something to believe, they need something or someone to place their hopes on.
people long ago worshipped trees and animal spirits....

thats why people spend their effort, their life their energy worshipping, praying....even though it might be all for nothing.

the main cause of the war was the people...their perceptions, their attitudes on the religions. religion never started the war...
and if u would like to say that if there wasn't religion then it wouldn't have happened....

there will always be religion
because humans will be humans.

religion was never a good thing. it was just something for people to believe, though the believers of course will say its good.
but a belief can never be good. the belief can make people good or bad....but religion itself is neutral
it is words on a paper, it is something that influences people's minds....it is not a being in itself which can be judged as good or evil.



people belive in something that might not exist that is because they need something to believe, they need something or someone to place their hopes on.
people long ago worshipped trees and animal spirits....

thats why people spend their effort, their life their energy worshipping, praying....even though it might be all for nothing.


Why ? I don't do any of that, my friends don't do any of that, so why do lots of other people ?
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

alupihan45 wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:


Human beings are animals, just as monkeys are animals, we are just an animal with a higher form of intelligence. But the fact is the gene difference between human and monkeys is only 2%. And yes, monkeys are intelligent, but just not at the same level as us. Dignity means nothing.


okay. let me rephrase. Are we that simple that you equalize humans to monkeys? lets drop this. it would lead to topics like " if a monkey intelligent?"

however, i would like to go against "Dignity means nothing". If you read Giovanni Pico della Mirandolla's Oration on the Dignity of Man, you will find out that this very dignity makes us human. With dignity, you will know what self actualization is. But then again, let's drop this. It would be off topic.


Allhailodin

That is true, same applies to right and wrong, and good and evil, there is no definite right and wrong, as it's all personal opinion, which varies from person to person. Same with good and evil, its all personal opinion.


couldn't agree more. However, our conducts should be good in a way that we don't violate/offend someone.


Allhailodin
Your right, It is the fault of human beings, and since I don't believe in that magical man, i'm not putting any blame on it.

i agree with not blaming "the magical man". By this let me take this opportunity to inform you then that God didn't make this world screwed out of amusement or whatever reason regardless if you believe in God or not. People just tend to project as a defense mechanism when they screwed up.

example, a girl got pregnant early and her future was screwed up. She should not blame God because it was her decision that made her future screwed up. It is not God who allowed it to happen but herself. But then again, she can't accept the fact it was her fault so she finds fault on others and God, i think is a convenient scapegoat.

so, if you encounter a religious person doing that, just ignore him/her. His/her ignorance causes him/her to be that. With a sound mind, you know what is right.




okay. let me rephrase. Are we that simple that you equalize humans to monkeys? lets drop this. it would lead to topics like " if a monkey intelligent?"


Yes, yes we are, monkeys have their own society set up in the wild, they have social interactions too. And yes a monkey is intelligent. I don't see why its so hard for people to grasp the fact that humans are animals just as monkeys are.


however, i would like to go against "Dignity means nothing". If you read Giovanni Pico della Mirandolla's Oration on the Dignity of Man, you will find out that this very dignity makes us human. With dignity, you will know what self actualization is. But then again, let's drop this. It would be off topic.


Pshh, dignity means nothing, I don't have a shred of dignity, nor do I care for one. It's meaningless



i agree with not blaming "the magical man". By this let me take this opportunity to inform you then that God didn't make this world screwed out of amusement or whatever reason regardless if you believe in God or not. People just tend to project as a defense mechanism when they screwed up.

example, a girl got pregnant early and her future was screwed up. She should not blame God because it was her decision that made her future screwed up. It is not God who allowed it to happen but herself. But then again, she can't accept the fact it was her fault so she finds fault on others and God, i think is a convenient scapegoat.


If I was a girl and got pregnant eary one, I would look at that and say. Alright Im screwed at the moment, but all I have to do is wait 4 - 6 months and get an abortion, then it's problem solved. So there is a rational way to solve your problems without needing "God" to help or blame.
Posted 1/4/09

Allhailodin wrote:
If I was a girl and got pregnant eary one, I would look at that and say. Alright Im screwed at the moment, but all I have to do is wait 4 - 6 months and get an abortion, then it's problem solved. So there is a rational way to solve your problems without needing "God" to help or blame.


Naw dude, why pay a couple hundred for an abortion? Just take a high paying high stress job and ride rollercoasters and go sky diving on the weekends. It does the same thing and you get more for your money.
150479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Aboard the Hyperion
Offline
Posted 1/4/09
I'd say people with faith have nothing to lose either when the time comes that the truth be revealed, whether there is truly a God or not. Having a religious affiliation or faith per instance shouldn't necessarily translate to them being inferior to the understanding of the tangible mechanics of the world, of the universe.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

XxRabidFangirlxX wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:


I don't really care if I offended you. That's 100% your problem if you get offended. And I'm not singling out catholics, it was a general term that would apply to prodastant as well.


Fine, but it's still a stereotype. Christians aren't all completely religious. Some don't even go to church, like myself (when I can get out of it). Some go to church every Sunday or Saturday, and some go every day. It's not like we sit in front of an altar and bow, or something.


Any answer to any question was found out somehow by someone in some mannor. Answers do not simply appear, so yes they need to be found.


I don't really understand what you mean here. Do you mean something like, "How did people even come up with God?" If that has something to do with it, then my answer is: I don't know. If not, I'm sorry.


While that is true,that raises a question "why believe in something that might not exist" ? If it can't be proved nor disproved, why worship it and spend your life praying and doing all that stuff, if the possibility exists that it's all for nothing ?


Since first grade, I've been in a Catholic school. It's just what I've grown up with, and when you're taught something from when you're young like that, it sticks with you. At least, it did with me.

But what if it does exist? What if God is real? People who have near-death experiences claim to have seen God, or their dead relatives, or a white light. While this doesn't prove much, isn't it strange that so many people claim the same thing?


Sure, but religion is also the cause for mass suffering and deaths, lots of wars have been started over religion, thus lots of people have died because of it as well, It has caused lots off suffering too. So its not purely a good thing now is it ?


And science has made guns and bombs. It's something we have to live with.






Fine, but it's still a stereotype. Christians aren't all completely religious. Some don't even go to church, like myself (when I can get out of it). Some go to church every Sunday or Saturday, and some go every day. It's not like we sit in front of an altar and bow, or something.


Fine, if that's the case, than that's the case, Stereotype or not.


I don't really understand what you mean here. Do you mean something like, "How did people even come up with God?" If that has something to do with it, then my answer is: I don't know. If not, I'm sorry.


Answers don't simply get pulled out of your ass do they ? Research and expermiants has to be put into finding them out. If i asked "how does the sun work ?" That answer has to be figured out by someone, somehow, you just simply don't know that its a giant thermonuclear reactor just by looking at it. Someone had to do research and expermiants and all that good science stuff to find that out.


Since first grade, I've been in a Catholic school. It's just what I've grown up with, and when you're taught something from when you're young like that, it sticks with you. At least, it did with me.


True. but at a young age I was taught what my parents though was right and wrong, and that stuck for maybe 4 years, before I decided what i though was it for myself.


But what if it does exist? What if God is real? People who have near-death experiences claim to have seen God, or their dead relatives, or a white light. While this doesn't prove much, isn't it strange that so many people claim the same thing?


Sure, but that white light could be something to do with your optic nerves. And seeing your family could be a neurological thing as well. It could have nothing to do with "god" at all.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

gopherthegold wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:
If I was a girl and got pregnant eary one, I would look at that and say. Alright Im screwed at the moment, but all I have to do is wait 4 - 6 months and get an abortion, then it's problem solved. So there is a rational way to solve your problems without needing "God" to help or blame.


Naw dude, why pay a couple hundred for an abortion? Just take a high paying high stress job and ride rollercoasters and go sky diving on the weekends. It does the same thing and you get more for your money.


Because an abortion is a way out of a situation I don't wanna be in. So I would do it, but i might go sky diving tho, it seems like fun.
683 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Boston
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

Allhailodin wrote:

Answers don't simply get pulled out of your ass do they ? Research and expermiants has to be put into finding them out. If i asked "how does the sun work ?" That answer has to be figured out by someone, somehow, you just simply don't know that its a giant thermonuclear reactor just by looking at it. Someone had to do research and expermiants and all that good science stuff to find that out.


That's true. But the concept of God is so old and so universal that I find it impossible to say that it's fake.

If there's no spirit inside a human, then what about ghosts? There's been scientific methods behind finding them. I mean, they're supposed to be human spirits that didn't make it to the afterlife. You don't believe in that either, right?


Sure, but that white light could be something to do with your optic nerves. And seeing your family could be a neurological thing as well. It could have nothing to do with "god" at all.


There are also out-of-body experiences. But I don't know anything about those. I just know that they have to do with the spirit leaving the body.
6268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/4/09
just because the consept of god is old doesnt mean the concept is right, the concept of the world being flat is also very old no further explanation needed right?
ghosts arent real, have u ever seen one? did u ever see a documentry were ghosts searchers actually saw a ghost instead of sayin: ''im really feeling the presence of a ghost'' or ''its saying that he was murderd'' ect...
why would there be a spirit in a human? we have a brain we function without a spirit, what is a spirit anyway?
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

XxRabidFangirlxX wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:

Answers don't simply get pulled out of your ass do they ? Research and expermiants has to be put into finding them out. If i asked "how does the sun work ?" That answer has to be figured out by someone, somehow, you just simply don't know that its a giant thermonuclear reactor just by looking at it. Someone had to do research and expermiants and all that good science stuff to find that out.


That's true. But the concept of God is so old and so universal that I find it impossible to say that it's fake.

If there's no spirit inside a human, then what about ghosts? There's been scientific methods behind finding them. I mean, they're supposed to be human spirits that didn't make it to the afterlife. You don't believe in that either, right?


Sure, but that white light could be something to do with your optic nerves. And seeing your family could be a neurological thing as well. It could have nothing to do with "god" at all.


There are also out-of-body experiences. But I don't know anything about those. I just know that they have to do with the spirit leaving the body.



That's true. But the concept of God is so old and so universal that I find it impossible to say that it's fake.

If there's no spirit inside a human, then what about ghosts? There's been scientific methods behind finding them. I mean, they're supposed to be human spirits that didn't make it to the afterlife. You don't believe in that either, right?


The concept of one single god emerged in c.6th cent. BC, but the concept of gods (plural) is older than that. The concept of a single god emerged with Zoroastrianism, which is one of christanity's origin religions.

And the scientific method of finding these ghosts is too look for heat given off by them, through infrared cameras. now since a ghost should be a so called spirit it should have no heat and thus give off no infrared. But apparently someone thinks they do.

An out of body exerience is when the spirit leaves the body huh. So tell me do animals have souls ? Because I hear a lot of "Humans have souls, but animals dont" which is a contridiction btw, as humans are animals

Everything that is you is in the 400 trillion synapse's in your brain. and when you die, they stop. thus everything that was you dies and rots. So all you really do is rot in the ground.
683 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Boston
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

Allhailodin wrote:
The concept of one single god emerged in c.6th cent. BC, but the concept of gods (plural) is older than that. The concept of a single god emerged with Zoroastrianism, which is one of christanity's origin religions.

And the scientific method of finding these ghosts is too look for heat given off by them, through infrared cameras. now since a ghost should be a so called spirit it should have no heat and thus give off no infrared. But apparently someone thinks they do.

An out of body exerience is when the spirit leaves the body huh. So tell me do animals have souls ? Because I hear a lot of "Humans have souls, but animals dont" which is a contridiction btw, as humans are animals

Everything that is you is in the 400 trillion synapse's in your brain. and when you die, they stop. thus everything that was you dies and rots. So all you really do is rot in the ground.


I've heard that animals don't have souls, and I disagree with that. But I don't know about plants and bacteria. They're alive, so they must have souls, too.

When it comes to ghosts, the theory is that they take energy from electricity, thus giving them a certain type of heat.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

XxRabidFangirlxX wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:
The concept of one single god emerged in c.6th cent. BC, but the concept of gods (plural) is older than that. The concept of a single god emerged with Zoroastrianism, which is one of christanity's origin religions.

And the scientific method of finding these ghosts is too look for heat given off by them, through infrared cameras. now since a ghost should be a so called spirit it should have no heat and thus give off no infrared. But apparently someone thinks they do.

An out of body exerience is when the spirit leaves the body huh. So tell me do animals have souls ? Because I hear a lot of "Humans have souls, but animals dont" which is a contridiction btw, as humans are animals

Everything that is you is in the 400 trillion synapse's in your brain. and when you die, they stop. thus everything that was you dies and rots. So all you really do is rot in the ground.


I've heard that animals don't have souls, and I disagree with that. But I don't know about plants and bacteria. They're alive, so they must have souls, too.

When it comes to ghosts, the theory is that they take energy from electricity, thus giving them a certain type of heat.


So then, tell me what exactly is this "soul" you speak of ? These souls everyone is so fond of, would be your brain, because everything that is you is composed of 400 trillion synapse in your brain, your personality, your thoughts, your reasoning abilites, all that and a shit load more is because of 400 trillion synapse in your brain. When you die, they stop functioning and thus everything you were ceases to exist, it decomposes in your skull. this soul is only a mere idea people have because they have a need to feel above the animals they are themselves. people invented the concept of a soul to feel above animals, which is illogical because people are animals themselves. Pshh, and we are suposed to be the evolved life form on this rock, look at how pathetic we are, needing the comfort of some "higher being" to get through the day. It sickens me at how stupid and weak we really are.

But as for ghosts taking electricity and concerting it to energy, so where do they get it from ? Static electricity from the air ? And what process do they use the use that electricity for their own benifit ?
683 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Boston
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

Allhailodin wrote:

So then, tell me what exactly is this "soul" you speak of ? These souls everyone is so fond of, would be your brain, because everything that is you is composed of 400 trillion synapse in your brain, your personality, your thoughts, your reasoning abilites, all that and a shit load more is because of 400 trillion synapse in your brain. When you die, they stop functioning and thus everything you were ceases to exist, it decomposes in your skull. this soul is only a mere idea people have because they have a need to feel above the animals they are themselves. people invented the concept of a soul to feel above animals, which is illogical because people are animals themselves. Pshh, and we are suposed to be the evolved life form on this rock, look at how pathetic we are, needing the comfort of some "higher being" to get through the day. It sickens me at how stupid and weak we really are.

But as for ghosts taking electricity and concerting it to energy, so where do they get it from ? Static electricity from the air ? And what process do they use the use that electricity for their own benifit ?


The soul... well, I can't say that I'm an expert on the subject. I mean, I'm no theology scholar. All that I can say is that it's something inside us that is us. It's like the brain, but it's something else. We don't use the comfort of God to simply get through the day. We're not so dependent on God that we feel like we can't do anything ourselves. At least I don't.

About the ghosts- from what I know, they take it from anywhere: the air, outlets, the sun, toys... anything that has some sort of charge. I don't know what kind of process the energy then goes through, though.

More importantly, what do you mean by people being stupid and weak? I think humans are doing fine. Maybe progressing a little slowly, but there's been a large leap in the way we think and act since a few thousand years ago.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.