First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Fansubs or official subs?
18274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A fucking rice co...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09 , edited 1/4/09

mackreki wrote:

You are just so clueless . It would be pointless to pick apart your entire post .


I will say this . If you actually have a working brain , and i will assume you do , you can answer over half your questions yourself by applying a little thought and common sense .


From someone who spent their entire school life in Japan , and speaks Japanese fluently , i will tell you that Dattebayo for one is more accurate than any official translation i have ever seen . That is counting the numerous box sets i own , and rentals from Netflix .


Well show me and I will believe you.

Insults don't work on me :)

Viz should hire the entire Dattebayo staff then if they are as good as you claim they are.
1095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Boston
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

parmesan wrote:


Daimao_Raki wrote:


cskid20 wrote:


Daimao_Raki wrote:


parmesan wrote:

I support fansubs. Simply because they can come up with the best equivalents to informal Japanese terms and for anime like Gintama, they give support references, which we clearly do not see in official subs. Furthermore, official subs don't translate songs or have karaoke text [yes, for the obvious reasons].

Even though official subs have their pros too, like episodes on time and better organisation, less chances of inaccuracies, are legit, etc. - i still prefer fansubs

who disagrees with me ;P i don't want this as a poll but as a debate, so don't bother me on that.

Many official subs translate Songs and Karaoke text. My anime DVDs have them. I trust people whose job and ability to provide food for the families depends on accurate subs over somebody who does them for fun.


Whether or not official subbers work to provide food for their family is not the point here. If they do a bad job, they do a bad job period. Would you insist on buying songs from a bad singer just because he does it for a living?

How do you know that they do a bad job? If my job depended me translating a show as accurately as possible, I'm gonna do a great job. The point I'm trying to make here is that many of us don't know Japanese well enough to state if the legal subbers are doing a poor job translating anime. The same can be said for fansubbers. Who is to say that the fansubbers are actually doing a great job translating anime? Just because they say "We care about the show, we are doing it accurately" doesn't mean they are. What incentive do they actually have(if they aren't making money) to do a good job? Many just do it for fun or to put a show out there. There is no real incentive to be accurate. Blame me for being on the side of R1 anime companies who actually spend money and time to bring shows to us. But I just don't trust fansubbers for the most part. I remember seeing a translation done by AnimeLabs for DBZ and it was totally inaccurate.


i have a good knowledge of japanese to have said that. official subs do not come up with good equivalents for a lot of the japanese informal language that is often used in anime. mostly because fansubbers use slang english terms which serve as better translation. obviously, official subs must use correct english thus they do not slang english terms ;P you'd have to learn japanese to have an idea of what i'm trying to explain.
just one inaccurate sub can't sum up the entire lot of subbers out there. whether they have a real incentive or not, most do produce good quality and accurate subs.


You should let that guy think it out for himself . I honestly believe his brain is in hibernation . I doubt he has ever watched a licensed anime on dvd . If he did he wouldn't of said half the stuff he did . I won't go as far as saying half , but a ton of legal anime bought in stores has half assed subbing . Unless of course he thinks that subtitles that match word for word the english version is accurate for the Japanese version . That is what too many of these lazy studio's do . Not only do they butcher the dubs content wise , now the people who want to watch the subtitled version have to watch the exact same thing except with Japanese voices .
366 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / F
Offline
Posted 1/4/09
Fan Subs all the way.

I've been watching anime fan subs around 11-12 years I forgot though. I watched more than hundred titles and I got no complain at all since all the subbers are doing their best from the translating to distributing even from the RAW they're always giving their best.

Most of them are fans so it's obvious they love the anime and would give the best so people could enjoy watching it.

To all Fansubbers, You're all the angels. Thank You SO MUCH.
18274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A fucking rice co...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

mackreki wrote:


You just explained my number 1 pet peeve with official subs , and it is a major problem , regardless of what people who aren't informed might try to make others believe . I wouldn't mind paying $6-$7 a month to watch some anime on crunchyroll . I would be able to deal with the lazy official translations . The real problem is they use these "americanized" sub versions when selling their insanely expensive box sets . That is just horrible business , and it is a major contributing reason to why anime hasn't caught on in western countries .


So while i find the studios deal with crunchyroll a cost effective method of allowing us to watch anime , i just can't support this while ignoring the fact that they (the anime industry) doesn't really care about us in the western world . They just care about making a buck .

You do know that many anime boxsets are going for dirt cheap right? Anybody would be a fool to pay MSRP for any DVD boxset. Anime is a niche market, I doubt it would ever be mainstream in Western counties.
1209 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Anywere that has...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09
Fansubs.
Posted 1/4/09

Daimao_Raki wrote:


mackreki wrote:

You are just so clueless . It would be pointless to pick apart your entire post .


I will say this . If you actually have a working brain , and i will assume you do , you can answer over half your questions yourself by applying a little thought and common sense .


From someone who spent their entire school life in Japan , and speaks Japanese fluently , i will tell you that Dattebayo for one is more accurate than any official translation i have ever seen . That is counting the numerous box sets i own , and rentals from Netflix .


Well show me and I will believe you.

Insults don't work on me :)

Viz should hire the entire Dattebayo staff then if they are as good as you claim they are.


Useless. Dattebayo would end up as bad as the other official subs since they would be forced into subbing the traditional crappy way
1095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Boston
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

Daimao_Raki wrote:


mackreki wrote:


Daimao_Raki wrote:


You are just so clueless . It would be pointless to pick apart your entire post .


I will say this . If you actually have a working brain , and i will assume you do , you can answer over half your questions yourself by applying a little thought and common sense .


From someone who spent their entire school life in Japan , and speaks Japanese fluently , i will tell you that Dattebayo for one is more accurate than any official translation i have ever seen . That is counting the numerous box sets i own , and rentals from Netflix .

Well show me and I will believe you.

Insults don't work on me :)

Viz should hire the entire Dattebayo staff then if they are as good as you claim they are.


Show you what ? I certainly can't teach you japanese . Learn to speak it and a whole new world will open up for you . You are only getting 1/100th of anime info by not speaking the native language .


And again it is a common sense issue .

18274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A fucking rice co...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

mackreki wrote:


You should let that guy think it out for himself . I honestly believe his brain is in hibernation . I doubt he has ever watched a licensed anime on dvd . If he did he wouldn't of said half the stuff he did . I won't go as far as saying half , but a ton of legal anime bought in stores has half assed subbing . Unless of course he thinks that subtitles that match word for word the english version is accurate for the Japanese version . That is what too many of these lazy studio's do . Not only do they butcher the dubs content wise , now the people who want to watch the subtitled version have to watch the exact same thing except with Japanese voices .
Dubs being raped is nothing new No translation is word for word, it's all depending on how the translator wishes to translate it. Also, I have dozens of licensed anime on DVD. You would do well not to make generalizations. Like I typed before, if fansubbers are the shit like you claim they should get a job with R1 companies so the quality of subs would "go up".

18274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A fucking rice co...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

parmesan wrote:


Daimao_Raki wrote:


mackreki wrote:

You are just so clueless . It would be pointless to pick apart your entire post .


I will say this . If you actually have a working brain , and i will assume you do , you can answer over half your questions yourself by applying a little thought and common sense .


From someone who spent their entire school life in Japan , and speaks Japanese fluently , i will tell you that Dattebayo for one is more accurate than any official translation i have ever seen . That is counting the numerous box sets i own , and rentals from Netflix .


Well show me and I will believe you.

Insults don't work on me :)

Viz should hire the entire Dattebayo staff then if they are as good as you claim they are.


Useless. Dattebayo would end up as bad as the other official subs since they would be forced into subbing the traditional crappy way

Then they should make their own Region 1 company
18274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A fucking rice co...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

mackreki wrote:


Daimao_Raki wrote:


Well show me and I will believe you.

Insults don't work on me :)

Viz should hire the entire Dattebayo staff then if they are as good as you claim they are.


Show you what ? I certainly can't teach you japanese . Learn to speak it and a whole new world will open up for you . You are only getting 1/100th of anime info by not speaking the native language .


And again it is a common sense issue .
I meant show me a show where the dialogue is better presented by fansubbers over a official translation. One or two line comparisions will do.

I'd love to learn Japanese but I don't have the time right now. I would like to in the future.



1095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Boston
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

Daimao_Raki wrote:


mackreki wrote:


You just explained my number 1 pet peeve with official subs , and it is a major problem , regardless of what people who aren't informed might try to make others believe . I wouldn't mind paying $6-$7 a month to watch some anime on crunchyroll . I would be able to deal with the lazy official translations . The real problem is they use these "americanized" sub versions when selling their insanely expensive box sets . That is just horrible business , and it is a major contributing reason to why anime hasn't caught on in western countries .


So while i find the studios deal with crunchyroll a cost effective method of allowing us to watch anime , i just can't support this while ignoring the fact that they (the anime industry) doesn't really care about us in the western world . They just care about making a buck .

You do know that many anime boxsets are going for dirt cheap right? Anybody would be a fool to pay MSRP for any DVD boxset. Anime is a niche market, I doubt it would ever be mainstream in Western counties.


I guess that depends on your definition of cheap . I can buy a season of my favorite tv shows like 24 or prison break for almost half the price of the average 24-26 episode anime series . That is plain ridiculous . Especially when you factor everything in . The actor on 24 makes over a million an episode . He gets paid more for 1 season than an entire anime costs to make .

It is more than just black and white . If the western world all of a sudden supported anime as if it was something that was mainstream , and not niche , that would hurt westerners more in the long run .
1095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Boston
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

Daimao_Raki wrote:


mackreki wrote:


You should let that guy think it out for himself . I honestly believe his brain is in hibernation . I doubt he has ever watched a licensed anime on dvd . If he did he wouldn't of said half the stuff he did . I won't go as far as saying half , but a ton of legal anime bought in stores has half assed subbing . Unless of course he thinks that subtitles that match word for word the english version is accurate for the Japanese version . That is what too many of these lazy studio's do . Not only do they butcher the dubs content wise , now the people who want to watch the subtitled version have to watch the exact same thing except with Japanese voices .
Dubs being raped is nothing new No translation is word for word, it's all depending on how the translator wishes to translate it. Also, I have dozens of licensed anime on DVD. You would do well not to make generalizations. Like I typed before, if fansubbers are the shit like you claim they should get a job with R1 companies so the quality of subs would "go up".



And like someone else already explained , that wouldn't improve the quality . You really must not have common sense . Translating is a very simple assignment . It is the execs above who have the content viciously dumbed down .

It is because they market anime towards younger children in western countries , especially America .
1095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Boston
Offline
Posted 1/4/09 , edited 1/4/09

Daimao_Raki wrote:


mackreki wrote:


Daimao_Raki wrote:


Well show me and I will believe you.

Insults don't work on me :)

Viz should hire the entire Dattebayo staff then if they are as good as you claim they are.


Show you what ? I certainly can't teach you japanese . Learn to speak it and a whole new world will open up for you . You are only getting 1/100th of anime info by not speaking the native language .


And again it is a common sense issue .
I meant show me a show where the dialogue is better presented by fansubbers over a official translation. One or two line comparisions will do.

I'd love to learn Japanese but I don't have the time right now. I would like to in the future.





How about i show you 1 where the fansubbers are not better than the official subbers ? Since out of the 300+ anime i have completed , i have only once seen the official equal or top a fansub job . Samurai Champloo . It probably isn't coincidence either since that is the only anime where the dub stayed faithful to the original .
18274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A fucking rice co...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

mackreki wrote:


Daimao_Raki wrote:


mackreki wrote:


You just explained my number 1 pet peeve with official subs , and it is a major problem , regardless of what people who aren't informed might try to make others believe . I wouldn't mind paying $6-$7 a month to watch some anime on crunchyroll . I would be able to deal with the lazy official translations . The real problem is they use these "americanized" sub versions when selling their insanely expensive box sets . That is just horrible business , and it is a major contributing reason to why anime hasn't caught on in western countries .


So while i find the studios deal with crunchyroll a cost effective method of allowing us to watch anime , i just can't support this while ignoring the fact that they (the anime industry) doesn't really care about us in the western world . They just care about making a buck .

You do know that many anime boxsets are going for dirt cheap right? Anybody would be a fool to pay MSRP for any DVD boxset. Anime is a niche market, I doubt it would ever be mainstream in Western counties.


I guess that depends on your definition of cheap . I can buy a season of my favorite tv shows like 24 or prison break for almost half the price of the average 24-26 episode anime series . That is plain ridiculous . Especially when you factor everything in . The actor on 24 makes over a million an episode . He gets paid more for 1 season than an entire anime costs to make .

It is more than just black and white . If the western world all of a sudden supported anime as if it was something that was mainstream , and not niche , that would hurt westerners more in the long run .

Shows like 24 and Prison Break have a large amount of fans and advertisers to where they can afford to put out cheaper boxsets. Keep in mind that these shows are downloaded too but it doesn't really hurt their revenue stream at all. I know people who watch them online and still buy the boxsets. Few downloaders of anime buy the legal anime boxsets.Hell look at the new One Piece boxsets...those are barely moving anything. Even if the subs are bad they should at least buy them for the Original Japanese version.
25107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Online
Posted 1/4/09
fansubs!!! the offical subs suck lol in skip beat ep 12 moko = whinerela? lol and lots of typos and the timing isnt right
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.