First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
In denying abtract ideas
2319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / where the grass i...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09 , edited 1/5/09
I am not referring to all here.
Edited: I have also no intention of arguements. Just want to hear answers from other people.

Hopefully, and I expect all respond would be intellectual and not just out wild feelings.
________________

Some people, namely atheist and some others, denies the existence of God and/or the existence of soul because it cannot be sensed with our five sense organs.

But why some of this people believes that it is plausible that there could be another life forms, specifically speaking, aliens (think of star wars. Aliens who looks like human or ogreish) in other planets or universe?

Even if they haven't gone through MRI, CT Scan or any imaging machine, they believe they have a brain even though they haven't sensed it. They just took the sign that they are alive and can think. Where in religion, we took the sign that their is god with "uncause cause, governing unintelligent things (sun, moon, clouds, wind)".

Just curious why it happens
6268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/4/09
this is because aliens arent 1 supernatural 2 the universe is very very big, it be strange if we were the only ones out there 3 we now think we know the way life started so we figured its also possible on other planets. (btw ihave no idea how an alien would look like)
the reason why we dont believe in god is:
1 i havent seen him around lately, this also counts for aliens but its easier to believe in normal life forms then super natural life forms.
2 we have discoverd that there was a big bang (idk exactely how it works) but it isnt something supernatural.
3 why a soul? isnt a brain sufficient enough? we all know we have a brain, some of us saw it trough an CT scan or MRI (like i have)
and some of us havent seen it, but im sure that NONE of u actually saw a soul (atleast when they werent stoned).

why cant u people think like us, ok we have a brain, works fine, instead of well i have a brain, but u know, it isnt enough for me il add a soul 2, why? cuz i believe that will bring me to the afterlife.

if we had litle proof of those so called souls and gods then i would believe but since there isnt, i dont believe.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

amersfoort wrote:

this is because aliens arent 1 supernatural 2 the universe is very very big, it be strange if we were the only ones out there 3 we now think we know the way life started so we figured its also possible on other planets. (btw ihave no idea how an alien would look like)
the reason why we dont believe in god is:
1 i havent seen him around lately, this also counts for aliens but its easier to believe in normal life forms then super natural life forms.
2 we have discoverd that there was a big bang (idk exactely how it works) but it isnt something supernatural.
3 why a soul? isnt a brain sufficient enough? we all know we have a brain, some of us saw it trough an CT scan or MRI (like i have)
and some of us havent seen it, but im sure that NONE of u actually saw a soul (atleast when they werent stoned).

why cant u people think like us, ok we have a brain, works fine, instead of well i have a brain, but u know, it isnt enough for me il add a soul 2, why? cuz i believe that will bring me to the afterlife.

if we had litle proof of those so called souls and gods then i would believe but since there isnt, i dont believe.


Humans invented the concept of the soul to feel above the animals, when in reality we are animals ourselves, thats all it really is, just a scape goat to feel above the other animals.
6268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/4/09
seems like creating scape goats is the thing theists are really good at
683 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Boston
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

Allhailodin wrote:

Humans invented the concept of the soul to feel above the animals, when in reality we are animals ourselves, thats all it really is, just a scape goat to feel above the other animals.


That's an assumption you've made. Many people believe animals have souls.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

XxRabidFangirlxX wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:

Humans invented the concept of the soul to feel above the animals, when in reality we are animals ourselves, thats all it really is, just a scape goat to feel above the other animals.


That's an assumption you've made. Many people believe animals have souls.


Sure, they do now because that concept has evolved from people only having souls, which is what it originally was.
683 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Boston
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

Allhailodin wrote:

Sure, they do now because that concept has evolved from people only having souls, which is what it originally was.


I don't know what it originally was, but if you agree that times have changed, then change your argument, too. o.O
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

XxRabidFangirlxX wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:

Sure, they do now because that concept has evolved from people only having souls, which is what it originally was.


I don't know what it originally was, but if you agree that times have changed, then change your argument, too. o.O


The point is in the beginning the purpose of the soul was to make humans feel superior to the animals around them. That idea changed with time tho. So ultimately the soul was to make people feel above the animals they didn't want to be.
683 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Boston
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

Allhailodin wrote:


XxRabidFangirlxX wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:

Sure, they do now because that concept has evolved from people only having souls, which is what it originally was.


I don't know what it originally was, but if you agree that times have changed, then change your argument, too. o.O


The point is in the beginning the purpose of the soul was to make humans feel superior to the animals around them. That idea changed with time tho. So ultimately the soul was to make people feel above the animals they didn't want to be.


But that sounds stupid. I mean, who even compares themselves to animals in that sort of way? If anything, animals are smarter than humans.
Posted 1/4/09 , edited 1/4/09
Yeah I do not really buy the soul thing. I think that once your brain and body shuts down it is pretty much like sleeping but with no dreams. Though there is the possibility we become something similar to ghosts since most people who have died (Near death) have claimed that they saw themselves floating over their body. In fact there is a hospital that puts pictures above a patients bed and if that patient were to die for a little bit, doctors are hoping to find out if the patients saw the pictures posted above the bed when the are brought back to life. So once that experiment ends and produces some results I will likely believe in souls.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

XxRabidFangirlxX wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:


XxRabidFangirlxX wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:

Sure, they do now because that concept has evolved from people only having souls, which is what it originally was.


I don't know what it originally was, but if you agree that times have changed, then change your argument, too. o.O


The point is in the beginning the purpose of the soul was to make humans feel superior to the animals around them. That idea changed with time tho. So ultimately the soul was to make people feel above the animals they didn't want to be.


But that sounds stupid. I mean, who even compares themselves to animals in that sort of way? If anything, animals are smarter than humans.


Yeap, human beings are animals, There is only 3 types of things on earth, everything on earth falls under these 3 catagories, Mineral, Vegetation(plants), and Animal Life

Humans fall under animal life, as does a monkey or a cat.
683 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Boston
Offline
Posted 1/4/09
Why is there such a huge difference between humans and the rest of the animals?
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

XxRabidFangirlxX wrote:

Why is there such a huge difference between humans and the rest of the animals?


The only difference is our intelligence, its more evolved that other animals, although on a level of intelligence monkeys are directly under us. Racoons are also extremely intelligent apparently. so racoons are somewhere under monkeys. So in reality were not much different from animals, also given the face that humans are animals, there should be no real difference besides intelligence and the the evolutionary status of our brains.
683 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Boston
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

Allhailodin wrote:
The only difference is our intelligence, its more evolved that other animals, although on a level of intelligence monkeys are directly under us. Racoons are also extremely intelligent apparently. so racoons are somewhere under monkeys. So in reality were not much different from animals, also given the face that humans are animals, there should be no real difference besides intelligence and the the evolutionary status of our brains.


But monkeys are still very different from us. I mean, why aren't there other animals that can build skyscrapers or create computers?

10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 1/4/09

XxRabidFangirlxX wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:
The only difference is our intelligence, its more evolved that other animals, although on a level of intelligence monkeys are directly under us. Racoons are also extremely intelligent apparently. so racoons are somewhere under monkeys. So in reality were not much different from animals, also given the face that humans are animals, there should be no real difference besides intelligence and the the evolutionary status of our brains.


But monkeys are still very different from us. I mean, why aren't there other animals that can build skyscrapers or create computers?



Duno, probally because we ate alot of bone marrow while we were evolving, bone marrow is apparently a huge brain booster, so as a result out intelligence shot up. If I had to guess, thats what I'd say
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.