First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
In denying abtract ideas
553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / New Zealand
Offline
Posted 1/5/09
^^^Uh huh...
Okay that's like the expanded timeline of what mine and XxRabidFangirlxX wrote.
Kewl.
4208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / David's bed, snif...
Offline
Posted 1/5/09

alupihan45 wrote:

I am not referring to all here.
Edited: I have also no intention of arguements. Just want to hear answers from other people.

Hopefully, and I expect all respond would be intellectual and not just out wild feelings.
________________

Some people, namely atheist and some others, denies the existence of God and/or the existence of soul because it cannot be sensed with our five sense organs.

But why some of this people believes that it is plausible that there could be another life forms, specifically speaking, aliens (think of star wars. Aliens who looks like human or ogreish) in other planets or universe?

Even if they haven't gone through MRI, CT Scan or any imaging machine, they believe they have a brain even though they haven't sensed it. They just took the sign that they are alive and can think. Where in religion, we took the sign that their is god with "uncause cause, governing unintelligent things (sun, moon, clouds, wind)".

Just curious why it happens



Hmm...very interesting topic.

I suppose I should start off my saying that I am Atheist. I wasn't always this way. I actually used to be a Christian before I took a Philosophy course at my university and started questioning EVERYTHING.

I personally don't deny the existence of God just because I cannot sense him. I just don't believe that he truly exists due to the Problem of Evil (God cannot be omnipotent and benevolent while there is suffering in the world). I think a lot of people have questions about this God and some statements about him contradict themselves.

I am totally open to abstract ideas. I mean, if you have a red balloon and you turn off the lights, is the balloon still red? How do you know? You cannot sense it. You can't possibly see in the dark and feeling the balloon wont tell you its color.

I do believe in aliens or life on other planets. I mean, there are billions of other planets out there in the universe. It is crazy to believe that there is not at least one planet like ours that supports life.
1433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 1/5/09

Allhailodin wrote:

Well since homo's (homo = human) are about 2.4 million years old, but modern homo's are only 250,000 years old, lets just assume that that's when homo's started to worship celestial bodies like the sun and the moon. But it was probally earlier than that. So let's just assume that we started worshiping stuff like the sun and the moon, 250,000 years ago, I don't think we were evolved or intelligent enough to understand the concept much less invent the concept of a soul. So i do believe that worship of celestial bodies existed long before the concept of the soul did.


You say the concept of a soul requires intelligence and ingenuity, but why can we not say the same for having the idea to worship lights in the sky as gods? The idea that stars and moons have power and should be worshiped doesn't seem to follow from just observing them. Imagination is a necessary component in both concepts.
Posted 1/5/09

XxRabidFangirlxX wrote:

I mean, who even compares themselves to animals in that sort of way? If anything, animals are smarter than humans.


The comparison is relative to an individual's perspective on the quality of life an animal posesses. Personally, I have yet to be amazed and boggled by an animal other than the homo sapiens who are capable of adapting to their enviornment within a very short span of time without the complete aid of natural selection. By "adapting to their enviornment within a very short span of time", I mean complete globalization of all continents (even if Antartica is up for debate since there is no steadfast "civilization" there, although there is no denying that scientists are never the less colonizing the remote ice cap for fun filled research purposes). Not only is man capable of inhabiting and thriving in varying enviornments and altitudes, but it is very safe to say that humans are in the top predators group as well.

2724 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / big UK chinatown
Offline
Posted 1/5/09

amersfoort wrote:

so soul is a consious.
then why the hell do we have a brain? we already have a soul so we dont need our brain right?
evry1 who believes in a soul bash ur skull, u dont need it anyway


our brain is like a mother board on a computer our body is like the casing . we dont say computer's have a soul , im afraid humans like to think we are special . i. e only people in the universe , have souls created by gods.

we may be progressing fast in technology and intelligence , but spiritually we are very primitive .

20263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 1/6/09

alupihan45 wrote:



The entire post is in a spoiler due to its ability to cause "TL, DR" syndrome.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv This is a matryoshka.
2319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / where the grass i...
Offline
Posted 1/6/09

excalion wrote:



impressive statement.

hopefully, people would understand what you said. If so, it would be a better place.
2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 1/6/09

Allhailodin wrote:

Actually the earliest forms of worship was aimed at the sun and moon. And I don't think that, that early on they believed in the concept of a soul.


I'm talking about the animism and shamanism practiced by hunter-gatherer groups prior to the Neolithic period. What are you talking about?
2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 1/6/09 , edited 1/6/09

Allhailodin wrote:

Well since homo's (homo = human) are about 2.4 million years old, but modern homo's are only 250,000 years old, lets just assume that that's when homo's started to worship celestial bodies like the sun and the moon. But it was probally earlier than that. So let's just assume that we started worshiping stuff like the sun and the moon, 250,000 years ago, I don't think we were evolved or intelligent enough to understand the concept much less invent the concept of a soul. So i do believe that worship of celestial bodies existed long before the concept of the soul did.


You're splitting hairs at this point and you're 'assuming' things without any evidence. Classification in no way separates the continuity of religious evolution.

Not to mention that celestial bodies played a smaller role in their everyday lives. Worship pertains specifically to things that are important to these groups. It makes no sense for hunter-gatherers to worship the sun and moon first when animals and seasons were far more vital to their survival. A stationary, agricultural society with concepts of time would find them important.
1231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/09 , edited 1/7/09

alupihan45 wrote:
Some people, namely atheist and some others, denies the existence of God and/or the existence of soul because it cannot be sensed with our five sense organs.

But why some of this people believes that it is plausible that there could be another life forms, specifically speaking, aliens (think of star wars. Aliens who looks like human or ogreish) in other planets or universe?

Even if they haven't gone through MRI, CT Scan or any imaging machine, they believe they have a brain even though they haven't sensed it. They just took the sign that they are alive and can think. Where in religion, we took the sign that their is god with "uncause cause, governing unintelligent things (sun, moon, clouds, wind)".

Just curious why it happens


i) Alien life forms - Because statistics bear this out (note that scientists classify alien life as anything from bacteria onwards.)
ii) Brain - because our ancestors brained each other's head open more than enough times. Not to mention cutting up animals.
2319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / where the grass i...
Offline
Posted 1/8/09
quick question: maybe off topic..

what is the race of the first caveman?
1186 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Leading your nigh...
Offline
Posted 1/8/09

alupihan45 wrote:

quick question: maybe off topic..

what is the race of the first caveman?


It';s said that humans originated in Africa *shrugs* so maybe that would be the answer to your question ^_^
8211 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 1/8/09
All these kind of questions will make your head explode.
2319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / where the grass i...
Offline
Posted 1/8/09

AleeceNoTenshi wrote:


alupihan45 wrote:

quick question: maybe off topic..

what is the race of the first caveman?


It';s said that humans originated in Africa *shrugs* so maybe that would be the answer to your question ^_^


ok. noted. just, curious, why nations have different features. anyway, back to topic

1186 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Leading your nigh...
Offline
Posted 1/8/09
*yes back on topic*

For those who deny it I'm ok with them. I mean I'm personally in a believer in god... even though a lot of Muslims tend to bash my thinking , yet I still don't let any of it get to me. There have been a few people who always come jumping on my case who kept asking me why I even believed in God, but I suppose I never answer them because no matter what is said you can't change anyone's opinion.

Anyways, I believe spirituality is something needed, whether it's through God, some people do yoga or whatever your outlet is, it's still existent in some form or another. The bottom line is NO ONE here has died, been buried under ground, dug up and then came back to life to tell us what happened, so NO ONE here can be 100% sure of what happens beyond. You go your way and I will go mine... isn't that enough?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.