First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Sexism in Commercials
1178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Everywhere
Offline
Posted 1/4/09
I was looking at commercials for a Social Studies project, to find a commercial that you think is judgmental to one race/gender, and I found both in one of these microwavable foods commercials.

My favorite line was 'To make a mom's jobs easier'. And all the mom's I saw in there were white. That is demeaning to mom's who have an actual job than staying home and watching kid's, or maybe have to stay home to watch kids because of the child's age or some other factor, and dad's who stay home to watch kids, either by choice or because they must. What do you think of these commercials?
375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 1/5/09
ya, it is so fucking annoying when all the damn commercials are with white people
I mean, i thought America was a melting pot, that all kinds of colors are here. So why is there only cases on television, (like "wheres Caylee" case thingy) with white people and in comercials the mother is the one cooking and cleaning and shit

my mom owns a nonprofit organization that helps children with Autism, she also substitutes and she is a hair dresser.
And even though my dad only teaches, and coaches soccer after school he still expects to come home with dinner ready and my mom already serving his plate.
I think my dad is being a insensitive jerk

So, ya i think they should change the damn commercials
Posted 3/30/09
i always knew that discrimination was in commercials...i thought i was the only one that noticed it though =T
1338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Florida
Offline
Posted 3/30/09
It annoys me that all of those chicken commercials still show mainly black people, lol. It's starting to change because I saw an ad for jalapeño chicken with latinos. Advertisers love stereotypes don't they.
2279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Omnipresent
Offline
Posted 3/30/09
Does it really matter?

I doubt directors of these commercials even meant nor have thought of a single second about the race or gender of the cast.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 3/30/09
It doesn't matter, so why give a fuck ?
Posted 3/30/09 , edited 3/30/09
Don't buy their products if their advert stinks. Out of obsession, that's what I do.


Does that advert even make sense?
1844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / In The Abyss
Offline
Posted 3/30/09
I find it kinda funny sometimes, but when they have the Asian which can't talk right or uses some cliché line I get mad cause I sound nothing like that,not even my parents do, even when a gangster who's black pops up. It makes things look like the station WANTS to get attacked. But I'm sure commercials like that disappeared a few years back...or most of them.
Posted 7/11/09

UnsureSakura wrote:

ya, it is so fucking annoying when all the damn commercials are with white people
I mean, i thought America was a melting pot, that all kinds of colors are here. So why is there only cases on television, (like "wheres Caylee" case thingy) with white people and in comercials the mother is the one cooking and cleaning and shit


lol your answer makes me think of my cousins
Posted 7/11/09
It's offensive sometimes. Did you know the new Fanta soda girl for their grape soda is Black? Stereotypical bastards. What's with people thinking that black people like to drink grape soda and eat fried chicken?

Posted 7/11/09

Gaia93 wrote:

It's offensive sometimes. Did you know the new Fanta soda girl for their grape soda is Black? Stereotypical bastards. What's with people thinking that black people like to drink grape soda and eat fried chicken?



wasn't the fanta girl for grape african-american as well? i don't remember that well =T

& yeah i wonder who created that stereotype about chicken & grape soda
Posted 7/11/09 , edited 7/11/09

mystic17 wrote:


Gaia93 wrote:

It's offensive sometimes. Did you know the new Fanta soda girl for their grape soda is Black? Stereotypical bastards. What's with people thinking that black people like to drink grape soda and eat fried chicken?



wasn't the fanta girl for grape african-american as well? i don't remember that well =T

& yeah i wonder who created that stereotype about chicken & grape soda


Yeah she was. Sometimes it just pisses me off at how ignorant some people can be. If I could make a list of the most races who have been the most stereotyped againts it would be:

1. Blacks
2. Mexicans
3. Jews
4. Muslims
5. Asians
6. Native Americans
7. Whites

But this isn't about racism, it's about sexism. I got off topic.
57806 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Eureka
Offline
Posted 7/11/09

JacopeX wrote:

Does it really matter?

I doubt directors of these commercials even meant nor have thought of a single second about the race or gender of the cast.


And thats where you're wrong. Advertisements are specifically made to target a certain demographic. Advertisement associates study trends and responses of individuals to certain stimuli.
57806 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Eureka
Offline
Posted 7/11/09
Lets not forget watermelon and Black people. I hate watermelon.
Posted 7/11/09

Gaia93 wrote:


Yeah she was. Sometimes it just pisses me off at how ignorant some people can be. If I could make a list of the most races who have been the most stereotyped againts it would be:

1. Blacks
2. Mexicans
3. Jews
4. Muslims
5. Asians
6. Native Americans
7. Whites

But this isn't about racism, it's about sexism. I got off topic.


yeah we are. it upsets me too when people believe such gossip, & i think people of asian descent would be #3 of being stereotyped =T
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.