First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Asian names for non asians?
78449 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / London, UK
Offline
Posted 1/6/09

Lateroze wrote:



Diversity is what gives society life xD!! Names are a huge part of it, and I think all kinds should be welcome



100% Agreed
5342 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Upstate NY
Offline
Posted 1/7/09

GMScribe wrote:


ohmygodBRITTANY wrote:


GMScribe wrote:


ohmygodBRITTANY wrote:

hah, i would love to have an asian name, especially japanese, they're so pretty!

if i was going to have kids, which i'm definitely not, i would name my child an asian name whether they were asian or not... i think they're pretty! hah


lol, though I bet you wont be saying that when you're older!


nawh, i probably will.
japanese names are so pretty, i think they flow better than english names.
i have the most english name ever too! Brittany = from britain
hah i'm not having kids though, so it doesnt matter! XD


I think Japanese as a language is brilliant, so much smoother. Whoever says English music is better than Japanese music, is probably right on the whole, but there's some songs that make my jaw drop just because the vocals sound so nice.

I'll place £20 on you deciding you want kids later in life ... It'll come in handy when I find myself jobless!


hah, i'm not going to want kids! i love them, but they're too much of a hassle and when they get to be a teenager, they're going to hate me.
so i figure why have a kid thats going to hate me later on in life? hah

so i'll take you up on your bet! i better be getting my money soon! >.<
190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 1/7/09
i think it's acceptable,
983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Somewhere in Spain
Offline
Posted 1/7/09
Yes, I chose the name by the meaning.
I particulary like Chinese Qiuyue
10694 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/7/09
it doesn't matter that much till you get to those REALLY asian names.
like the hardcore "oh shit you gotta be from asia" type names.
the ones that people always have trouble pronouncing
like naming a girl xiaolongnu
7442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Tampa, FL
Offline
Posted 1/7/09

Lateroze wrote:


touchzanaflexpens wrote:

I wouldn't. Think about the child.

Not trying to be racist here, but there is a point to be made. If you had a blonde and blue-eyed obviously white daughter, would you name them Lakeisha or Sheniqua? Since these are common names used for black girls, I'm pretty sure you could guess the daughter would be picked on. Same goes for Haruhi and Asian names.

Not saying there's anything wrong with it, but since society doesn't quite accept it, it would be hard on the child.


Oi ! I've got a white friend with a name like "Sheniqua." It's spelled "Cheniqua," and pronounced "KEN-ee-Kwuh."

I'm probably going to end up giving my daughter a Chinese name, simply because I was impacted by the Chinese at an early age and think those names are just too cute ^.^ I was born and raised in New York where, as far as I know, cultures, people, and names are diverse. It's not that big of a deal where I come from :P, But I see your point. Sadly, some people have a problem with names. Not just immature little kids in school, but in the business world. They look at your resume and automatically assume a whole load of nonsense. So not fair! As for my son, I might name him "Dwight." or "Jure (It's latin!)"

Anyway's if the name is something simple and not too fancy, I don't see why not. Society needs a good kick in the pants if you ask me



I agree lol.

I was given the name Liliana Satyavati, and yeah, it's weird (not as weird as some others, though). I was teased when I was younger from time to time. Now people are just like "Leilani Satya-what?". I'm not bothered by it, but a parent can't ultimately predict that their child would be happy with an odd name.

I think society itself is immature.

Posted 1/7/09
yeah why not?
1936 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / dreaming
Offline
Posted 1/7/09
i don't think it really matters.
names aren't one of today's biggest discriminatory things.

i'm asian, i have a french name. =]
47470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Birmingham
Offline
Posted 1/7/09 , edited 1/7/09
I'm not going to give my child Asian names because well, I'm already decided it's Oliver for a boy & Isabel for a girl I have a friend that is completely caucasian, yet has the name 'Naomi', which I'm sure is Japanese, I don't think her parents knew that it was Japanese though, because it's a fairly common name in England now.
2965 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / ♥Victorian wonder...
Offline
Posted 1/7/09 , edited 1/7/09


That's a pretty name ^.^ I was given my dad's name flipped backwards. Earl = L'Rae, and pronounced "Lee-RAH," Often called "La-Ray." I responded to both over the years. I Got teased because of my last name though, "Rhoden" + "T" = "Rhodent (What they called me with the "T" sound, Those evil brats T.T)." And people STILL do it! Waaah T.T Oh well xD




Posted 1/7/09
i dont c any prob with it
24918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/7/09 , edited 1/7/09

eipiem wrote:

asian names are for ASIANS only


and what if it's 50% asian and 50% european?

you never know what's gonna happen
because when it's baby you won't know how it's gonna look in the future
maybe Asian looks or European...

what do you think?
Posted 1/7/09
Ye dammed weeaboos.
24918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/7/09 , edited 1/7/09
I would name my child in Asian name:

boy:
Naruto, Sasuke, Allen, Ichigo
girl: Sakura, Hinata, Lenalee(heard it was Chinese [my country] and I like it!!), Mizuki, Inoue
Posted 1/7/09 , edited 1/7/09

yourusernameis wrote:

Me and my friends were talking about what we would name our children if we ever had them in the future. Im western, i live in England and i like alot of westren names like William, Lucas and Eleanor etc. but i also said i liked the names Haruhi and Haruka.

A few of my friends said that it would be cruel to name a non asian child with an asian name. But i think its okay if you like the name and is reasonable.

What do you think?


As long as other people can clearly pronounce the names of your child without a stumble or stuttering or confusion, it's okay.
To test it, get a new pet. Call that pet with an asian name. Then, introduce your pet to your friends and family. See and listen if they have any troubles pronouncing your pet's asian name. If it does present difficulties, don't use it in the future. However, if they keep saying, "WHAT?! say it again. I don't get it." Then, the names your using are just a hassle to use. Make another yet simple one.


People here in the US can easily say Kareem Abdul Jabar, but they can't even say my name Nareem.
Yes, they can easily say names like McMahon and Benoit, but Nareem?! Are they stupid?
Nareem sounds like Kareem. The only difference is the first letters. sheesh
Kareem Abdul Jabar is a bball player by the way.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.