First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
I call for the removal of all non-licensed animes
1711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/7/09

DCJoeDog wrote:

the anime titles list needs to be trimmed, and only licensed anime need to be shown, then and only then will all this be done with. Right now they make it look like TONS of anime is available to watch and even more if you subscribe, but you subscribe and you still don't have access to blocked anime and heaven help you if you are in a region blocked by rights issues.

Just trim the list and that right there will be a HUGE good faith measure in showing us all this site means to really go legit


There's no anime in it they are now practically fan groups. I don't see the problem with that.
1259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/09

Batarang wrote:

And yet when CR did it and got 75,000 USD a month in subscriptions and shopped for 15 mil in backing BEFORE they went legit, it's all ok.

If what bakawolf is doing is illegal, then what CR did is also illegal. whats the difference really? CR went legit? Going legit without reconciling their illegitimate past means only that they slipped the noose, not that their great people.


quoted for truth
18028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/09
I'm speechless and rather confused i'm pretty sure that everyone that has posted on this thread at no point in time minded at all that they were enjoying free-anime otherwise unavailable elsewhere unless bought. If you don't like the way CR does things dn't waste time trolling, move to another site, if i were an admin i would of had closed this thread the moment DC opened it.

Everybody has their own way of running/doing things who are we to judge, if you don't like/agree with it nobody is holding you, go ahead move on, there are tons of other sites out there.
Posted 1/7/09

seto_21 wrote:

I'm speechless and rather confused i'm pretty sure that everyone that has posted on this thread at no point in time minded at all that they were enjoying free-anime otherwise unavailable elsewhere unless bought. If you don't like the way CR does things dn't waste time trolling, move to another site, if i were an admin i would of had closed this thread the moment DC opened it.

Everybody has their own way of running/doing things who are we to judge, if you don't like/agree with it nobody is holding you, go ahead move on, there are tons of other sites out there.


I totally agree with you. I do not mind CR going legit or anything else. What I mind are kiss asses like Dom and the others here claiming CR are upstanding people. And how other sites are so illegal and should have been closed down. CR is no different.

I forgot what site it was but there was a gentleman in England that got busted at having the largest Anime linking site online. He never uploaded any illegal anime just posted the links to them. He got busted with like 10 years in jail plus a hefty (in the hundreds of thousands of dollars) fine. For just posting links. What CR did is no different.

I do not claim CR to be doing something stupid. They made a sound financial rock solid decision. And in truth I am hoping it does help out the Anime community. What kills me are people like Dom and his little entourage of followers. They ignore the illegal activity that was here in their favorite site, but go on to verbally go after other sites that are no different then CR. It is this hypocrisy thats killing me.
Posted 1/7/09

Batarang wrote:


seto_21 wrote:

I'm speechless and rather confused i'm pretty sure that everyone that has posted on this thread at no point in time minded at all that they were enjoying free-anime otherwise unavailable elsewhere unless bought. If you don't like the way CR does things dn't waste time trolling, move to another site, if i were an admin i would of had closed this thread the moment DC opened it.

Everybody has their own way of running/doing things who are we to judge, if you don't like/agree with it nobody is holding you, go ahead move on, there are tons of other sites out there.


I totally agree with you. I do not mind CR going legit or anything else. What I mind are kiss asses like Dom and the others here claiming CR are upstanding people. And how other sites are so illegal and should have been closed down. CR is no different.

I forgot what site it was but there was a gentleman in England that got busted at having the largest Anime linking site online. He never uploaded any illegal anime just posted the links to them. He got busted with like 10 years in jail plus a hefty (in the hundreds of thousands of dollars) fine. For just posting links. What CR did is no different.

I do not claim CR to be doing something stupid. They made a sound financial rock solid decision. And in truth I am hoping it does help out the Anime community. What kills me are people like Dom and his little entourage of followers. They ignore the illegal activity that was here in their favorite site, but go on to verbally go after other sites that are no different then CR. It is this hypocrisy thats killing me.


Is it just me or when people bash crunchyroll cause of all the animes being taken away...you see everyone whos pro-cr defend crunchyroll like crazy (and ill agree with you guys, there are other sites to go to).

Yet if it happens to be something like this...the legitimacy of CR as a whole from day one...all the pro-CR people seem to go quiet.

If anything they might say that CR is "different now", but then again CR did and now profit from any sort of anime collaboration...whether it was fansubs or now legit.
32422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / F / Texas USA
Offline
Posted 1/7/09

darkmagiciangirl911 wrote:


DCJoeDog wrote:

the anime titles list needs to be trimmed, and only licensed anime need to be shown, then and only then will all this be done with. Right now they make it look like TONS of anime is available to watch and even more if you subscribe, but you subscribe and you still don't have access to blocked anime and heaven help you if you are in a region blocked by rights issues.

Just trim the list and that right there will be a HUGE good faith measure in showing us all this site means to really go legit


There's no anime in it they are now practically fan groups. I don't see the problem with that.


Probably be a good idea to create a fan group section and move them over there so people do not get quite so confused. I know I've clicked a couple of times and went HUH it was here yesterday after finding only the fan group left.
1711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/7/09

lavendar wrote:


darkmagiciangirl911 wrote:


DCJoeDog wrote:

the anime titles list needs to be trimmed, and only licensed anime need to be shown, then and only then will all this be done with. Right now they make it look like TONS of anime is available to watch and even more if you subscribe, but you subscribe and you still don't have access to blocked anime and heaven help you if you are in a region blocked by rights issues.

Just trim the list and that right there will be a HUGE good faith measure in showing us all this site means to really go legit


There's no anime in it they are now practically fan groups. I don't see the problem with that.


Probably be a good idea to create a fan group section and move them over there so people do not get quite so confused. I know I've clicked a couple of times and went HUH it was here yesterday after finding only the fan group left.


Yes, that was kind of what I was thinking. New section time...
41 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F
Offline
Posted 1/7/09
First of all, I agree with the OP.

The anime industry suffers every time an individual downloads or watches a fandub/sub it hurts the industry. It doesn't matter if the material has been brought over or not, as long as you take it, its stealing. No physical item is needed to be taken, you can steal things that are untouchable. Stealing is wrong, no matter the cause or reason. Stealing anime or supporting a website that does so is not by any means moral. What do you stand for as a person if you knowingly steal and take? The industry loses money, because who would pay for something when they could get it for free right? Gennon died because of this, now licensed anime that people loved won't come back. Nothing new will come to America, it will appear that the demand for the product has diminished.

If we are going to do something, do it all the way. That means get rid of EVERYTHING. Removing something at the request of the distributer does NOT equal "legal" because many of the times the company isn't even aware of it being on a website. Seriously, do people really expect them to keep track of the whole internet? Its not possible. There will always be places to get it, but its harmful to the safety of what has been established. Also, just because a website is asking for donations doesn't mean its purchasing the anime. All it means is that they are keeping themselves afloat, which is extraordinarily hypocritical because they cry they need money to survive but STEAL money from the companies who do things legally. Also, what about the creators? "They are rich enough" is not an excuse, its taking from another man's pocket and putting it in your own. When you come down to it, creating the stuff is work and your taking profits by illegal viewing.

Bringing anime to any other country is very expensive and the companies need to profit or they will stop. Killing the industry is not helping your fandom.

Some people claim that they buy the stuff after watching it online, so that cancels out the thievery. Sorry, it doesn't. You will not buy everything, cannot afford to buy everything, and will only take what is desired most. Its still taking. CrunchyRoll should support morals and the anime industry, all the way. It has a great, affordable, anime membership for impatient people who have to see the episode instantly, and a free service otherwise. Advertisers help with profits, but CR needs to slowly rid itself of things not available.


15249 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / 私を見つけるとご存知でしょう。^_^
Offline
Posted 1/7/09
no comment...
Posted 1/7/09 , edited 1/7/09

ps2xgmr wrote:




you can hear the crickets can't you?

Your right though. I have no argument where CR is going in the future. I look forward to it. But the hypocrisy that is taken for granted of CR as a whole entity from day one

They have been online since 2006. In 3 years they have made their money on the backs of Fans and Fansubbers. They spent about maybe 3 to 4K for the sites bandwidth and server space. While they made up to 75,000 USD a month from user subscriptions. I've already had the links and everything up on earlier arguments so, I am sure it can be found. If you do not want to go searching...



The site makes a respectable $75,000 a month in revenue, according to Techcrunch. But it’s also getting money for copyrighted anime content uploaded to the site (much of which apparently uploaded by the site owners) plainly violates the DMCA.


http://venturebeat.com/2007/09/06/crunchyroll-for-pirated-anime-content/


But the fact that it's completely ignored is CR's constant search to sell out



That growth was apparently enough to get the attention of at least one possible suitor, Viacom. A source tells us that the company was very close to selling to Viacom for $10 million earlier this year, but the deal fell through when Viacom realized that owning the site, which contains a lot of copyright infringing content, may have hurt their positioning in the billion dollar ongoing litigation with Google. Crunchyroll refused to comment on the deal.


http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/08/29/crunchyroll-pushes-the-envelope-on-video-copyright/



All video is uploaded by users and has advertising around it. Premium users who “donate” $6 per month to the site get an ad free version and higher quality video. Rumor has it the company is making $75k/month or so in revenue.


Same link as above.

BTW does anyone upload videos here at CR? Is there anything in the process that allows us to upload to HD quality section for paid subscriptions? Just asking because if there isn't then who besides CR staff can do that?

Dom used the 'Safe harbor' claus in one of his arguments..I just wanted to reply about that here


Crunchyroll’s business model is unique in that users pay them to view high quality versions of the content, much of which is copyright infringing. That certainly weakens their reliance on the Digital Millennium Copyright safe harbor provision, which protects service providers from liability for content uploaded by users.

The safe harbor provision only applies if the service provider “does not receive a financial benefit directly attributable to the infringing activity.” It is arguable as to whether advertising around copyrighted content is a direct financial benefit, but it is even more difficult to suggest that a direct subscription fee, even if it is classified as a “donation” doesn’t trip the clause.


CR pushed the boundary by asking for subscription fees to get access to the better quality anime.

None of what I am saying means I'm against CR. Everything of what I am saying means CR is nothing more then your normal money grubbing corporation. They are not the light to the east, they are not the three wise men. And nothing about this site is any different then Bakawolf, Mangafox or any other fan subbed or created site.

But the only real difference is they managed to slip the noose and go legit before they got caught
lkmjr 
56516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Dreamland....
Offline
Posted 1/7/09 , edited 1/7/09
God. Again, I'm so done with this. I really don't even understand what you're talking about. CR, as far as I know, IS only streaming licensed anime. Everything else is removed, unless you're counting the pages that weren't taken off when the videos were removed. I've checked in the other sections. A bunch of popular series were cut off and removed half way, but that's unavoidable. What did you expect, CR would wait until nothing was popular any more so no one would be disappointed?? That would sort of defeat the purpose, since CR was trying to help save the industry, which has been in a massive decline since fansubs became the major means of watching anime, without abandoning the users. A bunch of idiots are whining about how they can't pay for an anime membership, but geeze, even if you can't you can still watch anime for free. It's not like they're forcing you to pay. If people stick around and help support CR's sponsors, things are going to get better over time. Think about it: dozens of good shows in HD, with good subs, getting new anime eps hot off the Japanese TV screens, not having to worry about your favorite series being removed....

Oh, never mind. No one ever seems to listen to me anyway. Call me a radical, but at least I'm willing to hope that we'll get some good series and these positively crap subs will be slowly replaced over time. Anime fans are all about now, now and now, and never seem to be patient at all, which is probably half the reason so many people're giving up CR as a lost cause just because they're going to have to wait a while before the companies see us as a potential source of profit instead of a side experiment they are, quite frankly, doing a half-assed job at figuring out. No one's going to stick around if ll you have to throw at us are some Naruto Shippuden, a few other briefly popular series, and a whole bunch of crap. They obviously see at least some of the potential, since they're willing to bother at all, but the soft subs absolutely suck and they're giving us these crap-ball series that they seriously seem to think will be a hit. What, do they think fansub watchers can't tell a bad one from a good one?? At least we can tell crap like "Viewtiful Joe" from the good stuff and aren't idolizing these series just because they're Japanese. Look, point is, I have problems with the current situation too, but at least I'm mature enough to know whining about it isn't going to get you anywhere, as I've been saying over and over again. As I have also said repeatedly, if CR's down the toilet now, why are you even still sticking around?! Just clear out your account and move on to another site if you're so upset about it. Rave to someone else. We, to be quite honest, don't want to hear your immature whining. "Well I want this" and "I don't like that".... You all sound like my little brothers when something doesn't go their way. A bunch of Japan-obsessed four-year olds. Stop pouting and use your brains for once.

Rant over.
4368 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Mexico
Offline
Posted 1/7/09
... eh? I don't know why but this topic just seems to make no sense to me, are we only talking about removing non-licenced anime from cr (which if I am not wrong has already been made) or we are talking about removing them from sites like youtube, all fan-subbers, etc?
2497 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Tennessee
Offline
Posted 1/7/09

EpicRagnarok wrote:

First of all, I agree with the OP.

The anime industry suffers every time an individual downloads or watches a fandub/sub it hurts the industry. It doesn't matter if the material has been brought over or not, as long as you take it, its stealing. No physical item is needed to be taken, you can steal things that are untouchable. Stealing is wrong, no matter the cause or reason. Stealing anime or supporting a website that does so is not by any means moral. What do you stand for as a person if you knowingly steal and take? The industry loses money, because who would pay for something when they could get it for free right? Gennon died because of this, now licensed anime that people loved won't come back. Nothing new will come to America, it will appear that the demand for the product has diminished.

If we are going to do something, do it all the way. That means get rid of EVERYTHING. Removing something at the request of the distributer does NOT equal "legal" because many of the times the company isn't even aware of it being on a website. Seriously, do people really expect them to keep track of the whole internet? Its not possible. There will always be places to get it, but its harmful to the safety of what has been established. Also, just because a website is asking for donations doesn't mean its purchasing the anime. All it means is that they are keeping themselves afloat, which is extraordinarily hypocritical because they cry they need money to survive but STEAL money from the companies who do things legally. Also, what about the creators? "They are rich enough" is not an excuse, its taking from another man's pocket and putting it in your own. When you come down to it, creating the stuff is work and your taking profits by illegal viewing.

Bringing anime to any other country is very expensive and the companies need to profit or they will stop. Killing the industry is not helping your fandom.

Some people claim that they buy the stuff after watching it online, so that cancels out the thievery. Sorry, it doesn't. You will not buy everything, cannot afford to buy everything, and will only take what is desired most. Its still taking. CrunchyRoll should support morals and the anime industry, all the way. It has a great, affordable, anime membership for impatient people who have to see the episode instantly, and a free service otherwise. Advertisers help with profits, but CR needs to slowly rid itself of things not available.




Dear, you are not etting the concept of selling product. First of all, 80% of the anime that is on here is not in America, and probably never will be, and if some of it is it will be in ten years. So if their anime is only known in Japan, and no one in America knew about it. (Since most of the time people in Japan cannot view the videos) They would be losing more money than if they just watched the course of it online and saw how kids were liking it. And see all the promotion it is getting and how people order things from japan to have the merchandise from thier favorite anime.

It drives them to earn the funds to try to air it in America or to at least sell it here. Most websites will not let you watch things tha have been liscensed in the U.S.

So I don't see how it would be killing the industry if it is not available for sale anywhere but japan in the first place. However, when it is brought here and people still watch it online somehow--THAT is killing the industry.

18028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/09
Well for me i'm pro-nothing since i roll around 15 sites to watch the anime i want. No matter what you say/do nothing will change, whoever is running CR will do whatever they see fit, if you feel like you need to uphold your morals and be an outstanding citizen dn't come here to watch free anime go and buy it, i'm sure the sellers will be really happy about it.

My point being if you disagree with something stop doing it, in this case, using CR as the site to get your anime.
Come on people be honest, is this such a big deal when even bigger stuff is going on in the world.
46 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 1/7/09

DCJoeDog wrote:

I just don't like the fact that they try to pass themselves off as a legit site for anime and then have thousands of animes on the site which are unlicensed, be one or the other, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.


Quoted for a money statement right there. Agreed with you 100%.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.