First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
I call for the removal of all non-licensed animes
Posted 1/7/09 , edited 1/7/09

DomFortress wrote:
However, CR did contribute back to the anime industry by licensing legitimate anime series with that capitals, even before the revolution. While still managing & supporting this site with all its features and services.

And the onetime hardware purchase fee isn't counting the whole picture, what about the monthly system access & bandwidth fees that CR has to pay each time to their ISP for the website, their business license, their rent, and since CR has full-time staffers working on maintaining and supporting the website, they need to get paid for their works. It's not some kind of amateur hobby like what Baka-Wolf's doing, what CR doing here is strict business.


I still cant get this out of my head though. Before the revolution, before GONZO stepped in and what not. CR earned roughly 75k a month. (who noes if the fluctuated value was even higher) and then they got a 4 million dollar capital when they still had a ton of unlicensed anime...never was it reported that they gave any of it back. I believe in the news article interviewing Vu Nguyen, he couldnt even comment on that question. In fact...he couldnt comment on alot of the hard questions that mattered. At the time, I too thought, "Maybe the press was too hard on him", but now it rly does make a deal if he was trying to be extremely legit.

If you do want to be technical, I read an article in a japanese-english translated newspaper saying that now CR is spliting their profits with companies 50/50...however this doesnt count the monetary revenue from ads which CR gets to keep.

The reality of CR was it was supposed to be an amateur hobby:
"why did i make crunchyroll?
i've always liked making websites, so one day i just randomly made crunchyroll for fun. it was created for me and my friends, but now it's grown into something i never really expected. originally i just wanted crunchyroll to be a cool place for people to hang out, but hopefully crunchyroll can do something pretty big and awesome someday -.-"

However, its a fact, once CR got caught, they had to do things extremely legit or else the big names (Bandai, FUNi, Viz) would be on their asses. Unlike CR, most fansubbers dont do things for a profit, and if you say they do (reason why they earn all of that money), then they would of been earning money for the exact same reason as crunchyroll (server costs). Make a note too...i would think $1k a month is very less profitable than 75k.

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying that legitimacy/honesty is one of the ten commandments for every fansubber, but I would think even you would agree its better to directly support an anime company, via their own streaming/downloading site, rather than a third party site where they were labeled and proved as illegitimate.

As someone pointed out to me, at sites like this...lying is definitely possible.
1259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/09

DomFortress wrote:


DCJoeDog wrote:

Batarang, people like Dom will never see anything but the side he is trying ti suck up to, it's in his interest to be a mini-admin.

All I want is for CR to stop making it look like they have all these animes when in fact they don't. There is nothing to stop folks from talking about an anime on the forums, but saying that those pages are around just for fan support is dumb, the only reason anyone was talking and giving fan support is because we viewed the videos that used the be there. I'm not here to give theoretical support to a show, I want to see it and THEN talk about it. To say otherwise is just insulting everyone and a delusion to yourself.

And you call anime blog site like Random Curiosity(http://randomc.animeblogger.net/), with detailed review on the latest anime episodes, an insult to all anime fans and a delusion to their passion of anime subculture.


You have a hard time trying to make a point without using spoiler tags and outside links don't you, I know nothing about that site nor do I care about it. THIS site is built around watching anime and discussing it via short comments and the provided forums. Take away the videos and a side from mega-popular animes like bleach and naruto and their ilk most people have ZERO reason to visit a anime's page, other than to say they miss how CR used to have the anime here to watch.

Also that site you pointed out seems to be built around JUST discussing the newest episodes of the animes they follow, they don't claim to have it for download, so how is it a comparison or ammo for your argument, oh It isn't my mistake I thought you were trying to make sense, my bad.
Posted 1/7/09

DCJoeDog wrote:

If you want to be legit, then do it all the way. None of this take a popular anime on then when it really gets it audience cut it off then maybe work a deal behind the scenes to be legit and then hope we stick around out of pure addiction crap.

See how long you last if you didn't allow any non-licensed videos on your site.

If you want we can even get a email campaign going to bring to the attention of those who need knowing so then you HAVE to remove them. As being sued seems to be the only thing that motivates you.

Stop acting so patronizing and stop profiting off others' work.


Rome wasnt built in a day, and CR wasnt about to remove EVERY SINGLE unlicensed anime in a day with their small staffing.
767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 1/7/09
Agreed.
1259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/09 , edited 1/7/09

varnlestoff wrote:


DCJoeDog wrote:

If you want to be legit, then do it all the way. None of this take a popular anime on then when it really gets it audience cut it off then maybe work a deal behind the scenes to be legit and then hope we stick around out of pure addiction crap.

See how long you last if you didn't allow any non-licensed videos on your site.

If you want we can even get a email campaign going to bring to the attention of those who need knowing so then you HAVE to remove them. As being sued seems to be the only thing that motivates you.

Stop acting so patronizing and stop profiting off others' work.


Rome wasnt built in a day, and CR wasnt about to remove EVERY SINGLE unlicensed anime in a day with their small staffing.


A truly professional staff would have an offline version to edit so once all the work was done they could make that version live, maybe it's not possible with this code they are working with but I seriously doubt it, but that isn't the argument at hand.
Posted 1/7/09

iEatedyou wrote:


DomFortress wrote:


DCJoeDog wrote:

Batarang, people like Dom will never see anything but the side he is trying ti suck up to, it's in his interest to be a mini-admin.

All I want is for CR to stop making it look like they have all these animes when in fact they don't. There is nothing to stop folks from talking about an anime on the forums, but saying that those pages are around just for fan support is dumb, the only reason anyone was talking and giving fan support is because we viewed the videos that used the be there. I'm not here to give theoretical support to a show, I want to see it and THEN talk about it. To say otherwise is just insulting everyone and a delusion to yourself.

And you call anime blog site like Random Curiosity(http://randomc.animeblogger.net/), with detailed review on the latest anime episodes, an insult to all anime fans and a delusion to their passion of anime subculture.


I've been following this conversation with baited breath and personally leaning towards Dom's opinion. But I have no idea what you just meant by that. Could you explain/elaborate that?

(No need to tell me what RandomC is. I follow it. ^_^)

Well, according to DCJoeDog's statement, he believes that "I want to see it and THEN talk about it. To say otherwise is just insulting everyone and a delusion to yourself." And you and I both understand that Random Curiosity(http://randomc.animeblogger.net/) is indeed a site that doesn't show the full content of the latest anime, yet it has anime fans all over the world discussing their passion about the anime series.
25823 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/09 , edited 1/7/09

DCJoeDog wrote:

If you want to be legit, then do it all the way. None of this take a popular anime on then when it really gets it audience cut it off then maybe work a deal behind the scenes to be legit and then hope we stick around out of pure addiction crap.

See how long you last if you didn't allow any non-licensed videos on your site.

If you want we can even get a email campaign going to bring to the attention of those who need knowing so then you HAVE to remove them. As being sued seems to be the only thing that motivates you.

Stop acting so patronizing and stop profiting off others' work.


sweet plot to get cr points

on a side note ist kinda getting annoying that they arent locking any of these gay threads(for or not) well what do i care not much well maybe a little since im posting
Posted 1/7/09
I LIKE TO SING-A
About the moon-a and the jun-a and the spring-a!
9269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/7/09
^ Ploy to loosen the built up tension in this thread?
Posted 1/7/09 , edited 1/7/09

DCJoeDog wrote:


varnlestoff wrote:


DCJoeDog wrote:

If you want to be legit, then do it all the way. None of this take a popular anime on then when it really gets it audience cut it off then maybe work a deal behind the scenes to be legit and then hope we stick around out of pure addiction crap.

See how long you last if you didn't allow any non-licensed videos on your site.

If you want we can even get a email campaign going to bring to the attention of those who need knowing so then you HAVE to remove them. As being sued seems to be the only thing that motivates you.

Stop acting so patronizing and stop profiting off others' work.


Rome wasnt built in a day, and CR wasnt about to remove EVERY SINGLE unlicensed anime in a day with their small staffing.


A truly professional staff would have an offline version to edit so once all the work was done they could make that version live, maybe it's not possible with this code they are working with but I seriously doubt it, but that isn't the argument at hand.


I have never really seen CR as a truly professional staff, from what it always seems, they where college kids who jumped on a landmass of opportunity. We half to consider they were all once doing what can get them sued up the arse for ever and ever.

Is that wonderfully professional? No, but I think for whatever reason they went legit, "Money" or "Moral", Or "Lawsuit threats", Or even "All of the above" It doesnt matter because it is a step in a "professional" direction.

Also this is an amazing opportunity for an alternate means of legalized anime, which is da way its meant to be. Hah, I have never heard of the term legal on a network deticated to anime streams till now.
9269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/7/09 , edited 1/7/09


Although I know where you're getting at with that, why would them just being college kids make them any less professional? In my opinion, to be able to run such a massive, growing online community, they'd have to be pretty damn good at what they do. At least, AFAIK.

*Cough*

Anyways, back to topic, I guess.
Posted 1/7/09 , edited 1/7/09

iEatedyou wrote:



Although I know where you're getting at with that, why would them just being college kids make them any less professional? In my opinion, to be able to run such a massive, growing online community, they'd have to be pretty damn good at what they do. At least, AFAIK.

*Cough*

Anyways, back to topic, I guess.


Sadly, Professionalism, and Skill/Apllied-Knowlege are two very different things. You can have the smartest man in the world, and it doesnt mean he cleans up his room every day.

I think CR has been a growing experience for all of them, they are becoming better and better at what they do. They are really fortunate to have been able to make this change because the anime companies needs this kind of audience on the net.

This due to lower birth-rate in japan and less children/teens being present in the society, they are making much less profit than even 5 years ago. So to expand their audience, the net seems like the best place ever seeing how toonami and adult-swims take on anime have completely flopped.
9269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/7/09 , edited 1/7/09

varnlestoff wrote:


iEatedyou wrote:



Although I know where you're getting at with that, why would them just being college kids make them any less professional? In my opinion, to be able to run such a massive, growing online community, they'd have to be pretty damn good at what they do. At least, AFAIK.

*Cough*

Anyways, back to topic, I guess.


Sadly, Professionalism, and Skill/Apllied-Knowlege are two very different things. You can have the smartest man in the world, and it doesnt mean he cleans up his room every day.

I think CR has been a growing experience for all of them, they are becoming better and better at what they do. They are really fortunate to have been able to make this change because the anime companies needs this kind of audience on the net.

This due to lower birth-rate in japan and less children/teens being present in the society, they are making much less profit than even 5 years ago. So to expand their audience, the net seems like the best place ever seeing how toonami and adult-swims take on anime have completely flopped.


lol, that's true. But I guess it depends on your definition of the word "Professionalism", because although you can have the smartest man in the world not able to clean his room, there are people that have both "Skill/Applied-Knowledge" and a "Professional" attitude towards their work. Since we don't actually know the people running this site, we may never find out, though. :3

EDIT: Noticed the change in your post. ;3 You'd think that licensing companies would smarten up and realize that dubbing anime just fails, huh? But they just keep going at it. >__<

EDIT2: lol, I like the attitude of the person who posted underneath me. That's the spirit! <3
153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / FL
Offline
Posted 1/7/09
ok instead of bitching about it, why dont you just enjoy the free unlicensed anime CR provides?

Sure, doing this all licensed anime crap was not such an appealing idea, but i dont want shinji to take away the remainder of free fansubs we get here.

Posted 1/7/09 , edited 1/7/09

iEatedyou wrote:


varnlestoff wrote:


iEatedyou wrote:



Although I know where you're getting at with that, why would them just being college kids make them any less professional? In my opinion, to be able to run such a massive, growing online community, they'd have to be pretty damn good at what they do. At least, AFAIK.

*Cough*

Anyways, back to topic, I guess.


Sadly, Professionalism, and Skill/Apllied-Knowlege are two very different things. You can have the smartest man in the world, and it doesnt mean he cleans up his room every day.


lol, that's true. But I guess it depends on your definition of the word "Professionalism", because although you can have the smartest man in the world not able to clean his room, there are people that have both "Skill/Applied-Knowledge" and a "Professional" attitude towards their work. Since we don't actually know the people running this site, we may never find out, though. :3


I agree, but you dont generally assume that coming from a person who started his "professionalism" from illegal anime pirating. But I am kind of glad because that is the only way an audience this big for anime could build, If he had started the site with "Legit, and payment plan in mind" You could forget CR ever taking off.

Now that the switch has been made, he can safely say that the ammount of loss he will sustain wont be too damaging, and if all goes well, this is a revolution in the way we legally watch anime while supporting the creators which are ever so urgent to find new audiences. In fact, they are doing so bad in the japanese economy that just a few years back, their where like 80-100 series at ANY given time, right now their are only about 50 at any time, and it keeps decreasing.

This site will do well I believe because for us (Non japanese locale) It is very hard to find a convenient means to watch anime, and watch anime with "quality" at that. I think shinji really may be right when he said this is the new "Toonami" Of anime. If this succeeds in the long-run that is.

This is possibly one of the few cases where If the site actually grows in time and gets WAY more popular, shinji will actually lose money because the creators will demand a change in the revenue agreement, and they will ask for a bigger split. This could be bad because with the increasing bandidth, and shinji having less money to put into upkeep, gaining too much popularity on this site legally could be fatal.

You also cant forget that free users make shinji lose more income than they bring in through the advertisements. So too many free users hogging the bandwidtch will slowly stab CR in the side. So keeping all that in mind, I can actually see shinji happy if a certain percentage of CR's "Free userbase" Gets pissed off and leaves. Maybe this is all to his working?

Shinji is looking to settle with a certain userbase, and he knows his numbers, and right now they may to too high, and too uneven within paying/free users. All you half to do is piss off the free users and put premium users in heaven and it will all balance out to give him just the right ammount of income to keep this site up.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.