First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
***-What IS Good music?-***
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 1/9/09
Music.
It's a large part of society.
Nearly everyone has some kind of musical preference...


Well I am here to talk about music in itself and my own thoughts on it.
If you get offended easily, you might not want to read any further. I am very to-the-point and in atleast one instance fairly blunt. The information contained in this entry is based on my experience, observations, and knowledge. If you disagree, feel free to comment and tell me what you think. I always love a good discussion.
And do not fear, when talking with a person [as the circumstance allows] I am not quite so blunt. I can retain friendly expression while debating. It's one of my many joys.


First I will go over how I judge music.


There are several aspects of a song that I judge.

1. Composition: The arrangement and flow of the music.
2. Harmony: How well the sound blends between all the members of the band and how synchronized and natural it sounds. To get 'tight' you must practice with your mates constantly to achieve this.
3. Musicianship: Are they talented? Are they using cheap tricks or are they actually pulling something off?
4. Content Expression: Is the music thought or emotion provoking? How does it make one feel?
5. Lyrical Content: Are the lyrics intelligent, well composed, and fit? Do they sound good in composition with the music?

From these I can judge whether something is good or not.
That does not have anything to do with if I like it or not.

So often people assume that something is good or bad based on whether they like it or not. In fact they are two different things.

For example; I greatly appreciate Eric Clapton. He is talented and he is a true artist. I cannot stand some of his songs though because I simply don't like them. I can respect them, their meaning, purpose, and influence as artwork and even in a few cases masterpieces. This does not mean I have to like it.

This is called being unbiased. When one immediately says "That song sucks. It's crap. It's stupid" just because they do not like it, that is being biased. However without being an educated and practiced musician, one cannot be expected to understand such things unless one of said educated and practiced stature would educate them.

If you look at my profile under music you will see my taste is very versatile.

Next; There's Art vs. Noise.

Art: The product of skill to provide a meaningful aesthetic composition often the expression of emotions or concepts that one cannot express in any other way.

Noise: Sound devoid of skill or aesthetics.

I have little faith in music these days. Most bands appeal to their own ego when wanting to make music. They either want to attract the opposite sex, be adored, or make money. Thus that is their intention and it is their priority. Not practicing and not writing truly influential pieces of music. Therefore they eventually fail due to lack of skill and content.

In this day in age lack of talent is not a problem. All that matters is if a person has the look and the attitude. Now they can digitally correct someone's musicianship.

People who do this and/or do not write their own music cannot be artists. They are hacks. Art comes is a form of expression that comes from the soul.

First off, if one does not create anything [by not writing music] they are not artists. This is a simple and undeniable factor. No matter how talented they may be otherwise.

Secondly those who DO write their own music but have little talent would be like a painter painting crap with good paint. All in all it is crap, not art.

Those who write their music and have placed priority on practice are those who shine by their own methods.

There are tricks some might employ to deceive audiences into believing they are more talented than they are.

Most uneducated in musicianship believe "If it sounds good, it must be talent." but this assumption comes from shear ignorance in that there are many things that may sound good but may not require much experience and/or personal skill to produce.

Power chords are just such a cheap way. I am not saying they are bad by themself but they can be used for a more righteous reason [just because the song calls for them] or a deceitful and cowardly reason [to fool the audience into thinking you're the shit.]

Heavy distortion is another trick as it tones out some mistakes.

Those who cannot sing resort to either rapping, talking, or screaming. Quite simple.

There are many tricks that instrumentalists and vocalists employ for such an intention.
1669 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/9/09
*phew* that's quite a read homes!

"I have little faith in music these days. Most bands appeal to their own ego when wanting to make music. They either want to attract the opposite sex, be adored, or make money. Thus that is their intention and it is their priority. Not practicing and not writing truly influential pieces of music. Therefore they eventually fail due to lack of skill and content."

That part really caught my attention. I totally agree. It's just been the same piece o crap bands doin' half ass jobs over n' over again...
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 1/9/09

Bullet-Fairy wrote:

*phew* that's quite a read homes!

"I have little faith in music these days. Most bands appeal to their own ego when wanting to make music. They either want to attract the opposite sex, be adored, or make money. Thus that is their intention and it is their priority. Not practicing and not writing truly influential pieces of music. Therefore they eventually fail due to lack of skill and content."

That part really caught my attention. I totally agree. It's just been the same piece o crap bands doin' half ass jobs over n' over again...


Right on man. Good points.
I am a singer in a band, Natural Outlaw, [We play Punk Rock, Glam Rock, Classic Rock, and some Goth Rock] and I don't care if I go pro, stick to playing gigs at local bars, or never make it out of the garage. I just love playing music and I don't care who I perform for or what I perform, I just love it.
I am lucky enough to have two EXTREMELY experienced band-mates with me that share my perspective.

My brother is 37 and has played the bass for over two decades. He started when he was 13.
We have this mate Eric, the guitarist, who is so good he could duel with Eddie Van Halen and keep up. He's been playing nearly 30 some odd years.

They have both been semi-pro before but that was awhile back and now they just like playing for the fun of it.
1669 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/9/09

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


Bullet-Fairy wrote:

*phew* that's quite a read homes!

"I have little faith in music these days. Most bands appeal to their own ego when wanting to make music. They either want to attract the opposite sex, be adored, or make money. Thus that is their intention and it is their priority. Not practicing and not writing truly influential pieces of music. Therefore they eventually fail due to lack of skill and content."

That part really caught my attention. I totally agree. It's just been the same piece o crap bands doin' half ass jobs over n' over again...


Right on man. Good points.
I am a singer in a band, Natural Outlaw, [We play Punk Rock, Glam Rock, Classic Rock, and some Goth Rock] and I don't care if I go pro, stick to playing gigs at local bars, or never make it out of the garage. I just love playing music and I don't care who I perform for or what I perform, I just love it.
I am lucky enough to have two EXTREMELY experienced band-mates with me that share my perspective.

My brother is 37 and has played the bass for over two decades. He started when he was 13.
We have this mate Eric, the guitarist, who is so good he could duel with Eddie Van Halen and keep up. He's been playing nearly 30 some odd years.

They have both been semi-pro before but that was awhile back and now they just like playing for the fun of it.


Sweet. Can i watch you guys on youtube or somethin'? or maybe you have a website?

4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 1/9/09

Bullet-Fairy wrote:

Sweet. Can i watch you guys on youtube or somethin'? or maybe you have a website?



Haha not yet. Whenever we get around to recording stuff, I'll post an update on here and my profile though and I'll let you know.

Posted 1/9/09
ahh too long >.<

it's all opinion, of course. How can music really be defined as "bad" or "good"? Everything that involves taste is subjective.
Posted 1/9/09
Depends your definition of "good" music. Basically good music, depends on your taste of music.
2368 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/9/09
the beat of the music and the lyrics

and depends on what u like

thats for sure
Posted 1/9/09
I'm my neighborhood rapper...we make beats...and i write lyrics....street poetry has always been my forte i rap about shit that happens or happened in my life

heres a bit of a song that i'm working on...

Growin up in a city in the Jersey
With shit goin on it sent my world topsy turvy
One nigga down, two, three, four
Few days later there would be more
I see brothas screamin that was the common symphony
All it would do is put me in complete agony
Just carry my glock, always ready to rock,
my enemies always bust in they neva knock
Fuckin horrible things would happen to these peeps
i just get on my knees pray to the lord and weep
seems like every dudes evil no nigga has a soul
the answer i get is"thats how i roll"
Well guess what that boy is goin the wrong way
With my little sister sick as hell dyin the long way
The brothas who met me at the seven eleven
theyve been deceased, realeased into heaven
the good lord knows where i'm gonna go
While these bitches are just on these streets for show
You have to be a hard nigga to defeat your rivals
you have to have the upper hand to have the prize of survival
You have to over come the heart aches the pains
you have to stay fresh when mlther nature brings the rain
my face all wet I Just feel like dyin
But no brotha can even see that i'm cryin
I was always the one bein chased
It was like i was trapped in the amazing race
All these challenges all up in my face
ever since i was a kid that was the case
Never told my parents cause i didnt want em to worry
In the meantime people are dyin in a hurry
Listen to these damn words that i share
this might not be real just a really long nightmare

chorus.

its what goes dowwwwnnn in the city
ever siiiiiiinnnnce i was a kiddie
i dont knowwwww what to sayhay
but i try to surviiiiiive in any wayhay
(repeat 3x) come on man lets get this shit

Secondverse comin soon.....




Posted 1/10/09 , edited 1/10/09
I think a lot of today's music is awful. Songs about screwing cops, please. A lot of 70s music was the true stuff.

How much deeper can lyrics get than "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with?"
2703 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 1/10/09 , edited 1/10/09

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:

Music.
It's a large part of society.
Nearly everyone has some kind of musical preference...


Well I am here to talk about music in itself and my own thoughts on it.
If you get offended easily, you might not want to read any further. I am very to-the-point and in atleast one instance fairly blunt. The information contained in this entry is based on my experience, observations, and knowledge. If you disagree, feel free to comment and tell me what you think. I always love a good discussion.
And do not fear, when talking with a person [as the circumstance allows] I am not quite so blunt. I can retain friendly expression while debating. It's one of my many joys.


First I will go over how I judge music.


There are several aspects of a song that I judge.

1. Composition: The arrangement and flow of the music.
2. Harmony: How well the sound blends between all the members of the band and how synchronized and natural it sounds. To get 'tight' you must practice with your mates constantly to achieve this.
3. Musicianship: Are they talented? Are they using cheap tricks or are they actually pulling something off?
4. Content Expression: Is the music thought or emotion provoking? How does it make one feel?
5. Lyrical Content: Are the lyrics intelligent, well composed, and fit? Do they sound good in composition with the music?

From these I can judge whether something is good or not.
That does not have anything to do with if I like it or not.

So often people assume that something is good or bad based on whether they like it or not. In fact they are two different things.

For example; I greatly appreciate Eric Clapton. He is talented and he is a true artist. I cannot stand some of his songs though because I simply don't like them. I can respect them, their meaning, purpose, and influence as artwork and even in a few cases masterpieces. This does not mean I have to like it.

This is called being unbiased. When one immediately says "That song sucks. It's crap. It's stupid" just because they do not like it, that is being biased. However without being an educated and practiced musician, one cannot be expected to understand such things unless one of said educated and practiced stature would educate them.

If you look at my profile under music you will see my taste is very versatile.

Next; There's Art vs. Noise.

Art: The product of skill to provide a meaningful aesthetic composition often the expression of emotions or concepts that one cannot express in any other way.

Noise: Sound devoid of skill or aesthetics.

I have little faith in music these days. Most bands appeal to their own ego when wanting to make music. They either want to attract the opposite sex, be adored, or make money. Thus that is their intention and it is their priority. Not practicing and not writing truly influential pieces of music. Therefore they eventually fail due to lack of skill and content.

In this day in age lack of talent is not a problem. All that matters is if a person has the look and the attitude. Now they can digitally correct someone's musicianship.

People who do this and/or do not write their own music cannot be artists. They are hacks. Art comes is a form of expression that comes from the soul.

First off, if one does not create anything [by not writing music] they are not artists. This is a simple and undeniable factor. No matter how talented they may be otherwise.

Secondly those who DO write their own music but have little talent would be like a painter painting crap with good paint. All in all it is crap, not art.

Those who write their music and have placed priority on practice are those who shine by their own methods.

There are tricks some might employ to deceive audiences into believing they are more talented than they are.

Most uneducated in musicianship believe "If it sounds good, it must be talent." but this assumption comes from shear ignorance in that there are many things that may sound good but may not require much experience and/or personal skill to produce.

Power chords are just such a cheap way. I am not saying they are bad by themself but they can be used for a more righteous reason [just because the song calls for them] or a deceitful and cowardly reason [to fool the audience into thinking you're the shit.]

Heavy distortion is another trick as it tones out some mistakes.

Those who cannot sing resort to either rapping, talking, or screaming. Quite simple.

There are many tricks that instrumentalists and vocalists employ for such an intention.


I could nit-pick a lot of this but it's quite unnecessary. On the note of Power Chords. Abusing a technique to the point of necessary repetition is quite annoying but in songs where it fits in perfectly, regardless of use then it is usually fine. Listen to Nevermore. They use a lot of rung out power chords to create an atmosphere.

But most of you what you say is quite spot on. Good on ya for taking the time out to spill your guts out to use. A+
2703 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 1/10/09

flourlove wrote:

I think a lot of today's music is awful. Songs about screwing cops, please. A lot of 70s music was the true stuff.

How much deeper can lyrics get than "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with?"


Express yourself with more detail and use clever rhymes and examples to put over your thoughts that came about when you wrote your lyrics.
2703 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 1/10/09

actionman92 wrote:

I'm my neighborhood rapper...we make beats...and i write lyrics....street poetry has always been my forte i rap about shit that happens or happened in my life

heres a bit of a song that i'm working on...

Growin up in a city in the Jersey
With shit goin on it sent my world topsy turvy
One nigga down, two, three, four
Few days later there would be more
I see brothas screamin that was the common symphony
All it would do is put me in complete agony
Just carry my glock, always ready to rock,
my enemies always bust in they neva knock
Fuckin horrible things would happen to these peeps
i just get on my knees pray to the lord and weep
seems like every dudes evil no nigga has a soul
the answer i get is"thats how i roll"
Well guess what that boy is goin the wrong way
With my little sister sick as hell dyin the long way
The brothas who met me at the seven eleven
theyve been deceased, realeased into heaven
the good lord knows where i'm gonna go
While these bitches are just on these streets for show
You have to be a hard nigga to defeat your rivals
you have to have the upper hand to have the prize of survival
You have to over come the heart aches the pains
you have to stay fresh when mlther nature brings the rain
my face all wet I Just feel like dyin
But no brotha can even see that i'm cryin
I was always the one bein chased
It was like i was trapped in the amazing race
All these challenges all up in my face
ever since i was a kid that was the case
Never told my parents cause i didnt want em to worry
In the meantime people are dyin in a hurry
Listen to these damn words that i share
this might not be real just a really long nightmare

chorus.

its what goes dowwwwnnn in the city
ever siiiiiiinnnnce i was a kiddie
i dont knowwwww what to sayhay
but i try to surviiiiiive in any wayhay
(repeat 3x) come on man lets get this shit

Secondverse comin soon.....






C+
4578 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116 / Christmas Island
Offline
Posted 1/10/09
i always look at vocals
if theres a beat i like but the singer cant sing for shit (britney spears) then i listen to instrumentals
4650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 1/10/09
A good music is music..

That has a sensible meaning.
It's not only about the rythm at all.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.