First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
***-What IS Good music?-***
763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / F / D:
Offline
Posted 1/10/09
There`s a wide range of music, it`s really a matter of opinion. But the most popular songs are the most complicated ones to make, that`s what they all have in common.
Posted 1/10/09 , edited 1/10/09

mokney wrote:


flourlove wrote:

I think a lot of today's music is awful. Songs about screwing cops, please. A lot of 70s music was the true stuff.

How much deeper can lyrics get than "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with?"


Express yourself with more detail and use clever rhymes and examples to put over your thoughts that came about when you wrote your lyrics.


What?

If that was in the first post, I didn't bother reading it all. Take into consideration that the average attention span of a human is about 3 seconds. And yes, I get bored rather easily.

2703 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 1/10/09

flourlove wrote:


mokney wrote:


flourlove wrote:

I think a lot of today's music is awful. Songs about screwing cops, please. A lot of 70s music was the true stuff.

How much deeper can lyrics get than "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with?"


Express yourself with more detail and use clever rhymes and examples to put over your thoughts that came about when you wrote your lyrics.


What?

If that was in the first post, I didn't bother reading it all. Take into consideration that the average attention span of a human is about 3 seconds. And yes, I get bored rather easily.



Oh no, I was just commenting on the lyrics. I think they can be written better but that's me.

In my opinion, there is better music today than decades ago. You gotta look for it.
Posted 1/10/09

mokney wrote:


flourlove wrote:


mokney wrote:


flourlove wrote:

I think a lot of today's music is awful. Songs about screwing cops, please. A lot of 70s music was the true stuff.

How much deeper can lyrics get than "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with?"


Express yourself with more detail and use clever rhymes and examples to put over your thoughts that came about when you wrote your lyrics.


What?

If that was in the first post, I didn't bother reading it all. Take into consideration that the average attention span of a human is about 3 seconds. And yes, I get bored rather easily.



Oh no, I was just commenting on the lyrics. I think they can be written better but that's me.

In my opinion, there is better music today than decades ago. You gotta look for it.


Ah, okay.

Well yeah, that's your opinion..and I'm not saying that all of our music today sucks (and I obviously wasn't born in the 70s,) but I feel like it was easier to find good music than it is today. I listened to 70s stuff for like an hour and a half straight and didn't get bored, and every single song I heard was good.

3018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Emperor's Great C...
Offline
Posted 1/10/09
The music of today does suck, no soul. 80s thrash is the best because it sold its soul to the devil in order to rock as hard a they did
11396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / OC, CA, USA
Offline
Posted 1/10/09
good music is anything that i consider GOOD. xD
1533 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / use ur imagination.
Offline
Posted 1/16/09
i doubt there is really any WAY to judge music. ppl's tastes are too different to make such a huge comparison.

just go by wat you like :]
824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/16/09

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:

Most uneducated in musicianship believe "If it sounds good, it must be talent." but this assumption comes from shear ignorance in that there are many things that may sound good but may not require much experience and/or personal skill to produce.

Power chords are just such a cheap way. I am not saying they are bad by themself but they can be used for a more righteous reason [just because the song calls for them] or a deceitful and cowardly reason [to fool the audience into thinking you're the shit.]


Right on...
6802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / the netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/16/09
music is just music any kind can be good even though if it's not your preference
for me punk rock is nr1 but i also listen to other kind's of music maybe because of the lyrics or something else
i'm someone whe like's to go to concerts even though the preformer's aren't well known
i know that what i like it's not what others would like
my friends call me the dark angel because of my music taste they rather listen to r'n'b techno and all those stuff that you always see on mtv
i rather listen to the ramone's or the sex pistols even the who
that's music for me
Posted 1/16/09
***-What IS Good music?-***

Good music is anything that people consider to be good .. or appealing to their tastes

some people believe that there's a difference between noise and art but that really can't be proven

because, noise to them may be considered the best piece of art to others

anything involving taste/opinions will always be up for debate
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 1/16/09 , edited 1/16/09

puppet89 wrote:

***-What IS Good music?-***

Good music is anything that people consider to be good .. or appealing to their tastes

some people believe that there's a difference between noise and art but that really can't be proven

because, noise to them may be considered the best piece of art to others

anything involving taste/opinions will always be up for debate


You obviously missed the whole point of the topic.

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but if someone doesn't write their own music, has no talent, and uses cheap tricks to deceive their audience, they cannot be seriously construed as 'good.'

Talent isn't a matter of opinion. It's a universal concept.




You guys also missed the point. If you consider music 'Good' just because you like it or it sounds appealing, that is being biased and not really seeing music for music. Often those uneducated in music judge music in that manner. I am trying to dispel this ignorance and provide an unbiased view of judging and music.
That's the point of the thread.
6802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / the netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/16/09
btw i was wondering about this when someone listen to any band/music ect
do you take the time to listen to the lyrics the way the lead singer sings
the bass,lead guitar the drums i ask this because i do
like with the "who" i think the drum player is great keith moon is great he is the best
too bad he died
3243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/16/09

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


puppet89 wrote:

***-What IS Good music?-***

Good music is anything that people consider to be good .. or appealing to their tastes

some people believe that there's a difference between noise and art but that really can't be proven

because, noise to them may be considered the best piece of art to others

anything involving taste/opinions will always be up for debate


You obviously missed the whole point of the topic.

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but if someone doesn't write their own music, has no talent, and uses cheap tricks to deceive their audience, they cannot be seriously construed as 'good.'

Talent isn't a matter of opinion. It's a universal concept.




You guys also missed the point. If you consider music 'Good' just because you like it or it sounds appealing, that is being biased and not really seeing music for music. Often those uneducated in music judge music in that manner. I am trying to dispel this ignorance and provide an unbiased view of judging and music.
That's the point of the thread.


But sometimes talented artists don't get a chance to showcase their talent .. which is, a
cheap trick by their company; so we can't really measure an artists' talent.

However, I understand your point and the message you are trying to convey but society today
doesn't really take all of this into consideration when listening to music. Why do you think artists many people
think are untalented are among the most famous?

*I'm sorry, I feel like my comment has nothing to do with yours ..*

4804 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/09 , edited 1/16/09

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:
I have little faith in music these days. Most bands appeal to their own ego when wanting to make music. They either want to attract the opposite sex, be adored, or make money. Thus that is their intention and it is their priority. Not practicing and not writing truly influential pieces of music. Therefore they eventually fail due to lack of skill and content.

I agree with you partly on that one. It is true that bands form to either become famous, adored, make money, or be attractive. Though, I also partly disagree, if you think of bands forming just to make money is a bad thing, it's not all bad, though if they want to become famous, attract opposite sexes, and be adored, that is quite stupid. If the band wants to make money, well, it's a good thing. Here are some of my opinions of why its a good thing they get money for doing this:
1) They spend a lot of money to be able to go to recording studios, instruments, instrument repairs etc.
2) They should be awarded in SOME way for trying to help out people by giving them more music, because face it, if you've never listened to music in your entire life, you will most likely go insane, or, if you have a miraculous mind that doesn't need music to keep it going, you will definitely be missing out on a lot.

Feel free to argue with me, though truthfully, I am not well-prepared nor well-organized when it comes to a debate.

EDIT!: Although, I have lost complete faith like you in music...at least rap. If you like R.A.P. (Retards Attempting Poetry) you have no real good taste in music, because anybody can be a so-called "good rapper" when your horrible voice is fixed with a machine, the beat is produced by a machine, and there are no instruments so all you hear is a decent beat and some mentally retarded guy on stage telling you his boring opinions or his lame old life story. A song is supposed to tell/teach you something such as: A story; a revelation; a possible outcome of a decision to make etc. etc. etc. What R.A.P. tells/teaches you is to be greedy, go for cash, be a "gangster", be some mentally retarded guy who think education is "fo sucka's" etc.
Basically, you listen to R.A.P., your future doesn't look to clear if you like R.A.P. enough to be swayed to think like them.

EDIT2: (WARNING, this may offend you if I've mentioned your ethnicity in a negative way in this paragraph) All the people in my high school who have been taken away by the police for possession and other stupid things to do at the age of a high schooler, I have noticed are mostly from African and/or Mexican heritage, my school is pretty much 95% Asian and I've seen the 2% Mexicans and the 1% Africans get into fights, have drugs, and tag etc. to an extent where the police already know the teenagers names, the deans know the kids names, and other adults who deal with obnoxious kids, and to top it off, they're the people who listen to R.A.P. excessively. They're all of African/Mexican heritage while out of those 95% Asians, the Asians are all well-conducted kids, and to top it off, I have a lot of Asian friends and some of them listen to R.A.P., but not to the point where it changes the way they think and they become a "gang banger" and other stupid nonsense these idiotic R.A.P. fans get themselves into. Coincidence? I think not!
364 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / UK
Offline
Posted 1/16/09
yeah, musical taste is subjective. but there must be more to it than just that otherwise we wouldnt have such things as musical geniuses like Mozart. there are some songs which resonate very deeply, some which are more superficia. but i cant really tell whether a piece of music is art or not, because i have no training in music, so i just listen to what i like.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.