First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Christians, How do you know that you are saved?
Posted 1/13/09
What makes you a Christian? What do you think someone has to do be a Christian? What made you saved?

Obviously not everyone who goes to church is a true Christian:

Matt 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

So what do you think the line is that separates the true from the false? What do you think the difference is?
Scientist Moderator
digs 
38052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 1/13/09 , edited 1/13/09

IrisChan7 wrote:

What makes you a Christian? What do you think someone has to do be a Christian? What made you saved?

Obviously not everyone who goes to church is a true Christian:

Matt 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

So what do you think the line is that separates the true from the false? What do you think the difference is?


I think the line is true repentance. When we know that the greatest need in our lives is to have our sinned forgiven so that we can have a relationship with God. After knowing this we truly repent in Jesus Name and believe in Him as the Son of God (God Himself) and obeying what He says and taught. I don't think its just understanding that Jesus is God's Son, or understanding that sin is bad and that we need to be forgiven of it. I think it is understanding these things, and then doing them whole heartedly. Repenting and turning from our sins (not allowing sin in our life again and keeping in repentance when we fail, not abusing repentance as way to continue to live and sin and feel ok about it). To posses real love for God and an active faith that does things for Him. I think it isn't what we know in our mind, or how we act or look outside, but the condition of our heart. Weather or not if we allow what is in our mind to go into the heart, to believe it and put it into action because we believe it.
71 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 1/13/09
I agree with digs. God doesn't say well to be saved you have to go to church everyday. That's crazy but people do go to church to be fed in the spirit and understand the teachings of God that we ourselves might not be able to get due to the diction used in the days the bible was written. Christianity isn't a religion its a personal relationship with God and it's different for every person.
2724 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / big UK chinatown
Offline
Posted 1/13/09
god is with me everywhere i dont need to go to church to pray to god, follow the ten commandments and care for your fellow man this is what i get from Christianity/Catholicism.
Posted 1/13/09

treasonirish wrote:

god is with me everywhere i dont need to go to church to pray to god, follow the ten commandments and care for your fellow man this is what i get from Christianity/Catholicism.

But the Bible says you can't be saved by works
2273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 1/13/09 , edited 1/13/09
the bible was written by man
Posted 1/13/09 , edited 1/13/09

shinto-male wrote:

the bible was written by man
The Bible was written over a span of over 1,600 years by different indivuals under the inspiration of God. If those individuals came up with their own material as you say, they would have definitely contradicted themselves over that period time. It would also would have been filled with errors as well. The Bible has neither contradictions nor errors

1844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / In The Abyss
Offline
Posted 1/13/09

IrisChan7 wrote:


shinto-male wrote:

the bible was written by man
The Bible was written over a span of over 1,600 years by different indivuals under the inspiration of God. If those individuals came up with their own material as you say, they would have definitely contradicted themselves over that period time. It would also would have been filled with errors as well. The Bible has neither contradictions nor errors



You can't really consider a bible full of nonsense free of error. I don't think having a thread like this bodes well either, cause last time I checked not even if your a truthful follower of God and Christianity, it doesn't mean your saved since God never pointed out such and nothing yet was proven so~ being a truthful follower doesn't make you saved and so I guess thats why so many false believers exist, cause they aren't sure of being saved by this certain God.
Posted 1/13/09 , edited 1/13/09

KariKun wrote:

You can't really consider a bible full of nonsense free of error.
Just because you view it as nonsenses doesn't mean that it didn't happen. I'm sure if you showed someone who lived in the past a mondern history book, they would say it was full of nonsense as well (men landing on the moon, atomic bombs etc.) Just because you can't relate to the past doesn't mean that it didn't happen


KariKun wrote:
I don't think having a thread like this bodes well either, cause last time I checked not even if your a truthful follower of God and Christianity, it doesn't mean your saved since God never pointed out such and nothing yet was proven so~ being a truthful follower doesn't make you saved and so I guess thats why so many false believers exist, cause they aren't sure of being saved by this certain God.

1 John describes how a believer can know he's a Christian in detail. The whole New Testament is pretty clear on that actually.
Posted 1/13/09
wer absolutely don't know. we follow what ever the bible says. i'm pretty sure if the bible said that we should offer human beings to please our god we would do that. we christians have so many loop holes in the bible. its those people who take the bible word for word as truth are the fuckin idiots one out there
1844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / In The Abyss
Offline
Posted 1/13/09

IrisChan7 wrote:


KariKun wrote:

You can't really consider a bible full of nonsense free of error.
Just because you view it as nonsenses doesn't mean that it didn't happen. I'm sure if you showed someone who lived in the past a mondern history book, they would say it was full of nonsense as well (men landing on the moon, atomic bombs etc.) Just because you can't relate to the past doesn't mean that it didn't happen


KariKun wrote:
I don't think having a thread like this bodes well either, cause last time I checked not even if your a truthful follower of God and Christianity, it doesn't mean your saved since God never pointed out such and nothing yet was proven so~ being a truthful follower doesn't make you saved and so I guess thats why so many false believers exist, cause they aren't sure of being saved by this certain God.

1 John describes how a believer can know he's a Christian in detail. The whole New Testament is pretty clear on that actually.


Then again we have the proof of the events of atomic bombs and the moon landing. Religion has yet to have such proof. Anyways I didn't mean how a believer knows he Christian in detail at all, I meant being Christian doesn't mean being saved, though I know we all deny things which oppose our own beliefs and views but the topic makes it seem as if your so sure so how can you sound so sure?
559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Feminism is made...
Offline
Posted 1/13/09 , edited 1/13/09
The Bible, if taken literally does not make sense. Even the Story of Jesus is leaning towards being a rip off of Horus, a God in Egypt. The only difference is that Horus had 4 or 6 disciples instead of 12, which is easy to explain because Jews had 12 original tribes and Egypt did not.
Believing in the Bible or even Christianity only creates a false sense of security, which is of course, better than nothing as being insecure makes us very vulnerable. Bible also offers lessons that can be taken in the same way as the morals of fairy tales. They only provide set of opinions about how to live a theoretical good life. They do nothing more than that.
As for the morals in the Bible, not all of them are good. It is included there that you should do "eye for an eye,' which is not even accepted by some States in the US anymore. I am talking of course about Capital Punishment and Amendment VIII. Though you might be able to take away the life of someone, it is not the same as how the murderer killed someone else.
Some people might argue that the Bible is history. Taken literally, it cannot be. Evidences have shown that Earth is more that the age of it written in the Bible. Even the creation theory seems impossible. A man coming from dirt is unlikely. It does not have enough elements in it to even build a human body, much less the chemical reactions necessary to retain life.
If taken as a metaphor or even imagery, then it can be a form of history, such as the Book of Revelations. If taken as a metaphor for Nero's Rome, it matches pretty well. Though, I need a source for this so I will not elaborate on it.
Being saved or not is not the question. It is a matter of how you look at it. It cannot be even proven that a God exists, much less for that God to save you.

EDIT: I forgot to put dates, Horus was born around 1265 BC while Jesus' birth was around 7 BC(?). That indicates Horus is at least a millennium older than Jesus; plenty of time to copy his story and make someone as heroic as him. Horus was also born of a virgin mother by the way. And he also resurrected his dead father Osiris, which translates to El Azur in Hebrew. Which can easily convert to Lazarus (L-Azur-us) as time passes.


EDIT AGAIN: I forgot to answer the first two questions. What makes a a Christian can be birth or conversion. It is just a title, nothing more nothing less. What makes you remain a Christian is, of course, up to the person in this religion. Even though that Christian might be a self-proclaimed Atheist, he is likely a Christian in legal papers. Personally, I do not give a feces about this as it is highly subjective. Whatever makes you or removes your Christian status is based on people's opinions.
Posted 1/13/09

KariKun wrote:

Then again we have the proof of the events of atomic bombs and the moon landing. Religion has yet to have such proof.
Those were recent events. Since those were many thousands of years of ago, books are almost as good as you're going to get. Check this out though http://www.wbschool.org/Chinese.swf The events of the Bible are supported in ancient Chinese characters as shown here. What do you think of that?


KariKun wrote:
Anyways I didn't mean how a believer knows he Christian in detail at all, I meant being Christian doesn't mean being saved, though I know we all deny things which oppose our own beliefs and views but the topic makes it seem as if your so sure so how can you sound so sure?
Because the Bible really gets the point across that everyone who says that he is a Christian is not saved. It's stated very clearly several times, and that's why I'm sure. Christianity has had no problem converting people to the religion (now, all people have to do is repeat a prayer, and a pastor tells them that they are saved) No where in the Bible does it say this, and those who do this are no different than they were before they "got saved." In other words, we are being lured in a false sense of security. Instead of listening to what pastors define being a Christian is, I think we should find out what the Bible says being a Christian is.
559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Feminism is made...
Offline
Posted 1/13/09 , edited 1/13/09

IrisChan7 wrote:


KariKun wrote:

Then again we have the proof of the events of atomic bombs and the moon landing. Religion has yet to have such proof.
Those were recent events. Since those were many thousands of years of ago, books are almost as good as you're going to get. Check this out though http://www.wbschool.org/Chinese.swf The events of the Bible are supported in ancient Chinese characters as shown here. What do you think of that?


The atomic bombs and moon landing actually has evidences. Material proofs. The moon has a handy tool installed on its surface that reflects high powered lasers back to it the way it was sent there. It is located near one of its craters. The atomic bomb is believable because it was seen by people. It was one of a kind because it is the only atomic bomb incident seen in wars.

By the way, there are videos of these that exists. Of course, you can always argue that it is staged but that might not be the case if it is included in recorded history and when it has actual proofs that exists instead of just a single book without a strong basis. The moon landing is not really necessary to prove as we can always go there nowadays with the right amount of money. And yes, we can do that. Recent space walks just proved that man are capable of going to space. And that is recent. Not even older that 50 years.
Posted 1/13/09

jewishplayer wrote:

That's actually a myth that has been debunked a long time ago http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/HORUS.htm
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.