First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Christians, How do you know that you are saved?
4559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Bermuda Triangle
Offline
Posted 1/15/09

digs wrote:


crunchypibb wrote:

Most of these types of scripture have to do with metaphysics. That is like if a prophet says "There will be world hunger in the future" it might not necessarily mean everyone is going to starve in the future but rather not everyone will feel satisfied with themselves. That is, hunger in the soul.
So to me, when you become a christian, by whatever method it may be, the overall goal in life as a christian is to reach a point in which your life is parallel in which the way Jesus would have lived your life. I mean christian means "Christ like" does it not?


That is pretty accurate. As Christians we want to be reflections of Jesus and live a life that honors and glorifies God.

About Revelation though, some prophecies I be to be direct, some I believe are literal and will happen. However, some are symbolic (like with some of the immagry that goes on)


Well it may be symbolic or maybe it might actually happen, not physically but invisibly like I explained above. We won't know till it comes. Btw, what do you think of the apocolypse aka end of mayan calendar? Will the world fall like the Roman Empire did and will we once again enter a dark age?
559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Feminism is made...
Offline
Posted 1/15/09


IrisChan7 wrote:


jewishplayer wrote:


I don't know how you got all of that from my saying that Revelation was symbolic. I never said that the entire Bible was. In the Bible, most prophesies were symbolic. When reading the Bible, one can tell the difference between a prophecy, a parable, and historic fact. The Bible has mixtures of all, and there is no reason to claim that all of it is one thing.


IrisChan7 wrote:


jewishplayer wrote:

Back to being saved, well, like I stated earlier, they will never know. Besides, even the Book of Revelations seems like a myth itself, if taken literally. Was it a five-headed monster or something? Yeah, that will happen in the future and Jesus will be a warrior. Genetically modified snakes and [insert race here that uses Jesus as first name] for the win! Seriously though, even scholars do not think of the revelation as something that should be taken literally. Some interpreted it was Nero's time during the Roman Empire. The Roman army did fight at the place that is thought to be Armageddon by the way. ( Was it Harmagedo?) And Nero (Satan in the Book of Revelations) did die with a stab or something at that time even though some people thought he did not die which explains the resurrection of him.
It is quite understood that it is a symbolic book. I've never heard of anyone taking it literally. The different heads represent different kingdoms. As for what you were saying about Nero, Preterism is flawed because they ignore prophecies or twist them in order to make their theories work.


To clear a bit of what I said, I was merely using that as an example of the usage of literary device. I could have used Garden of Eden or anything from the Bible. The Revelations just happened to be mentioned on earlier posts so I just used it to emphasize something. I also used Jesus as an example by the way. So I assume you only read the first few lines.
Scientist Moderator
digs 
38037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Online
Posted 1/15/09

crunchypibb wrote:


digs wrote:


crunchypibb wrote:

Most of these types of scripture have to do with metaphysics. That is like if a prophet says "There will be world hunger in the future" it might not necessarily mean everyone is going to starve in the future but rather not everyone will feel satisfied with themselves. That is, hunger in the soul.
So to me, when you become a christian, by whatever method it may be, the overall goal in life as a christian is to reach a point in which your life is parallel in which the way Jesus would have lived your life. I mean christian means "Christ like" does it not?


That is pretty accurate. As Christians we want to be reflections of Jesus and live a life that honors and glorifies God.

About Revelation though, some prophecies I be to be direct, some I believe are literal and will happen. However, some are symbolic (like with some of the immagry that goes on)


Well it may be symbolic or maybe it might actually happen, not physically but invisibly like I explained above. We won't know till it comes. Btw, what do you think of the apocolypse aka end of mayan calendar? Will the world fall like the Roman Empire did and will we once again enter a dark age?


This is true, we won't know until it happens, and yes I think some may happen invisibly, but a few I believe to be literal (like the wars, the anti-Christ, etc...)

Are you talking about the 2012 Mayan apocalypse? I haven't been educated much on it, but all I know is according to their calendar the last sun is to die in 2012. I don't believe in the ancient Mayan religion, so I don't hold their apocalypse as truth. I do think the world will fall after it has "unified." Meaning, I believe near the end their will be many unions and a form of one world government and a one world economy. I think after we acheive "unification" the world will start to end.
4559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Bermuda Triangle
Offline
Posted 1/15/09

digs wrote:


crunchypibb wrote:


digs wrote:


crunchypibb wrote:

Most of these types of scripture have to do with metaphysics. That is like if a prophet says "There will be world hunger in the future" it might not necessarily mean everyone is going to starve in the future but rather not everyone will feel satisfied with themselves. That is, hunger in the soul.
So to me, when you become a christian, by whatever method it may be, the overall goal in life as a christian is to reach a point in which your life is parallel in which the way Jesus would have lived your life. I mean christian means "Christ like" does it not?


That is pretty accurate. As Christians we want to be reflections of Jesus and live a life that honors and glorifies God.

About Revelation though, some prophecies I be to be direct, some I believe are literal and will happen. However, some are symbolic (like with some of the immagry that goes on)


Well it may be symbolic or maybe it might actually happen, not physically but invisibly like I explained above. We won't know till it comes. Btw, what do you think of the apocolypse aka end of mayan calendar? Will the world fall like the Roman Empire did and will we once again enter a dark age?


This is true, we won't know until it happens, and yes I think some may happen invisibly, but a few I believe to be literal (like the wars, the anti-Christ, etc...)

Are you talking about the 2012 Mayan apocalypse? I haven't been educated much on it, but all I know is according to their calendar the last sun is to die in 2012. I don't believe in the ancient Mayan religion, so I don't hold their apocalypse as truth. I do think the world will fall after it has "unified." Meaning, I believe near the end their will be many unions and a form of one world government and a one world economy. I think after we acheive "unification" the world will start to end.


Whatever, it was a good response. I don't suppose anyone in any developed country believes it either but it was something to speculate since it did predict when "Quetzoquotal" (however you spell it) aka the bearded white man would come. Of course they didn't think that it would mean a Spanish invasion. In the Mayan calendar, it technically isn't the end of the world when it reaches the end of the calendar but rather the end of that era and the beginning of a new one. I know of those things that you talk about from revelation. I just don't see that happening in three years though. And I always wondered, what the heck is the difference between the anti-christ and the devil?
Scientist Moderator
digs 
38037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Online
Posted 1/15/09

crunchypibb wrote:


digs wrote:


crunchypibb wrote:


digs wrote:


crunchypibb wrote:

Most of these types of scripture have to do with metaphysics. That is like if a prophet says "There will be world hunger in the future" it might not necessarily mean everyone is going to starve in the future but rather not everyone will feel satisfied with themselves. That is, hunger in the soul.
So to me, when you become a christian, by whatever method it may be, the overall goal in life as a christian is to reach a point in which your life is parallel in which the way Jesus would have lived your life. I mean christian means "Christ like" does it not?


That is pretty accurate. As Christians we want to be reflections of Jesus and live a life that honors and glorifies God.

About Revelation though, some prophecies I be to be direct, some I believe are literal and will happen. However, some are symbolic (like with some of the immagry that goes on)


Well it may be symbolic or maybe it might actually happen, not physically but invisibly like I explained above. We won't know till it comes. Btw, what do you think of the apocolypse aka end of mayan calendar? Will the world fall like the Roman Empire did and will we once again enter a dark age?


This is true, we won't know until it happens, and yes I think some may happen invisibly, but a few I believe to be literal (like the wars, the anti-Christ, etc...)

Are you talking about the 2012 Mayan apocalypse? I haven't been educated much on it, but all I know is according to their calendar the last sun is to die in 2012. I don't believe in the ancient Mayan religion, so I don't hold their apocalypse as truth. I do think the world will fall after it has "unified." Meaning, I believe near the end their will be many unions and a form of one world government and a one world economy. I think after we acheive "unification" the world will start to end.


Whatever, it was a good response. I don't suppose anyone in any developed country believes it either but it was something to speculate since it did predict when "Quetzoquotal" (however you spell it) aka the bearded white man would come. Of course they didn't think that it would mean a Spanish invasion. In the Mayan calendar, it technically isn't the end of the world when it reaches the end of the calendar but rather the end of that era and the beginning of a new one. I know of those things that you talk about from revelation. I just don't see that happening in three years though. And I always wondered, what the heck is the difference between the anti-christ and the devil?


Those things don't have to happen in three years, the Bible says no one knows the time nor the hour when it will happen, but there are signs that point to if it is coming soon or not. The thing about the white man is interesting, I didn't know they predicted it. Also, by new area what do they mean? Like a new world order or a totally new way of life?

And the difference between the devil and the anti-Christ is that the anti-Christ will be a human. He will have the spirit of the Devil in him and he will be a deceiver that rules the world and promises peace for three and a half years (the latter three and a half years will be terrible and painful). The Devil is a fallen angel and was the 2nd most powerful being in creation, the anti-Christ will be a man who has the spirit of the Devil in him.
137658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Georgia
Offline
Posted 4/26/09
just because you don't go to church everyday doesn't mean you're not a true christian. some churches have become corrupt anyway cause of greed & other problems. you can worship God @ home or anywhere you go.

i guess you know when you're saved when you can go through the gates to heaven..
137658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Georgia
Offline
Posted 4/26/09
just because you don't go to church everyday doesn't mean you're not a true christian. some churches have become corrupt anyway cause of greed & other problems. you can worship God @ home or anywhere yo
10805 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/27/09
what i define a christian is someone who believes that there is only one true god, and that his only son, jesus christ, sacrificed his life to repent our sins.

as for the church thing, you do not have to go to church to be christian. you can build a relationship with god and jesus christ without going to church.
Posted 4/27/09 , edited 4/27/09
Just wanted to say that I i]HATE[/i] discussions like this. Let people believe what they believe and don't try to disclaim other's religion because it's really hurtful. In other words, Mind Your Own Business!
17892 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 4/27/09

zanaasha wrote:

Just wanted to say that I i]HATE[/i] discussions like this. Let people believe what they believe and don't try to disclaim other's religion because it's really hurtful. In other words, Mind Your Own Business!


It hurtfull to point out that there is no real evidence for Jesus other than the bible? Jesus is in no real history.
Do you think Odin is real? Do you think its hurtfull to think the norse gods are not real?
"Pointing out little facts is not being hurtfull, it called debating. People who get hurt over debate topics should not be in debate topics.


17892 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 4/27/09 , edited 4/27/09

azn099 wrote:

what i define a christian is someone who believes that there is only one true god, and that his only son, jesus christ, sacrificed his life to repent our sins.

as for the church thing, you do not have to go to church to be christian. you can build a relationship with god and jesus christ without going to church.


So you do fallow the teaching of this fake character known as Jesus. (thats nice most people don't know that you do not need to go to church to be in church.)
Did he not say Church is anywhere where a few people gather to talk about god.. 'YOu can be in church at your dinner table.

'I just love how a all knowing god new this was going to happen , felt the need to let it happen then kill a few billion people. Mostly little kids and babies. Then Go about saying he will fix "ARE SINS"! Something does not sit well with me wen it comes to your Dark overlord of a god."

Hell the Vikings had more just and friendly gods than your god. Scary to think How meny people warship a evil dictator.

In other words A all knowing god mest up and had to flood the world.
A all loving god had to kill the first born kids and babies to make a point.
A wise god sent a she bear out to kill kids for laughing at a guy for having no Hair.

'A god that can't stand people who don't warship at his feat so he wan't them dead, and he wants them to burn forever and ever for it.'

Why respect your ideal of a god. Does not seem to be a great all knowing all loving god to me.
10805 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/27/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


azn099 wrote:

what i define a christian is someone who believes that there is only one true god, and that his only son, jesus christ, sacrificed his life to repent our sins.

as for the church thing, you do not have to go to church to be christian. you can build a relationship with god and jesus christ without going to church.


So you do fallow the teaching of this fake character known as Jesus. (thats nice most people don't know that you do not need to go to church to be in church.)
Did he not say Church is anywhere where a few people gather to talk about god.. 'YOu can be in church at your dinner table.

'I just love how a all knowing god new this was going to happen , felt the need to let it happen then kill a few billion people. Mostly little kids and babies. Then Go about saying he will fix "ARE SINS"! Something does not sit well with me wen it comes to your Dark overlord of a god."

Hell the Vikings had more just and friendly gods than your god. Scary to think How meny people warship a evil dictator.

In other words A all knowing god mest up and had to flood the world.
A all loving god had to kill the first born kids and babies to make a point.
A wise god sent a she bear out to kill kids for laughing at a guy for having no Hair.

'A god that can't stand people who don't warship at his feat so he wan't them dead, and he wants them to burn forever and ever for it.'

Why respect your ideal of a god. Does not seem to be a great all knowing all loving god to me.


it makes me lol how people can not read the title.
stop trolling this thread
this thread is not about whether you believe in the teachings of christianity or not.
17892 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 4/27/09

azn099 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


azn099 wrote:

what i define a christian is someone who believes that there is only one true god, and that his only son, jesus christ, sacrificed his life to repent our sins.

as for the church thing, you do not have to go to church to be christian. you can build a relationship with god and jesus christ without going to church.


So you do fallow the teaching of this fake character known as Jesus. (thats nice most people don't know that you do not need to go to church to be in church.)
Did he not say Church is anywhere where a few people gather to talk about god.. 'YOu can be in church at your dinner table.

'I just love how a all knowing god new this was going to happen , felt the need to let it happen then kill a few billion people. Mostly little kids and babies. Then Go about saying he will fix "ARE SINS"! Something does not sit well with me wen it comes to your Dark overlord of a god."

Hell the Vikings had more just and friendly gods than your god. Scary to think How meny people warship a evil dictator.

In other words A all knowing god mest up and had to flood the world.
A all loving god had to kill the first born kids and babies to make a point.
A wise god sent a she bear out to kill kids for laughing at a guy for having no Hair.

'A god that can't stand people who don't warship at his feat so he wan't them dead, and he wants them to burn forever and ever for it.'

Why respect your ideal of a god. Does not seem to be a great all knowing all loving god to me.


it makes me lol how people can not read the title.
stop trolling this thread
this thread is not about whether you believe in the teachings of christianity or not.

I have read it. But in the end I was not replying to the thread, but to your post.

21223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/27/09

zanaasha wrote:

Just wanted to say that I i]HATE[/i] discussions like this. Let people believe what they believe and don't try to disclaim other's religion because it's really hurtful. In other words, Mind Your Own Business!


Exactly.
10805 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/27/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


azn099 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


azn099 wrote:

what i define a christian is someone who believes that there is only one true god, and that his only son, jesus christ, sacrificed his life to repent our sins.

as for the church thing, you do not have to go to church to be christian. you can build a relationship with god and jesus christ without going to church.


So you do fallow the teaching of this fake character known as Jesus. (thats nice most people don't know that you do not need to go to church to be in church.)
Did he not say Church is anywhere where a few people gather to talk about god.. 'YOu can be in church at your dinner table.

'I just love how a all knowing god new this was going to happen , felt the need to let it happen then kill a few billion people. Mostly little kids and babies. Then Go about saying he will fix "ARE SINS"! Something does not sit well with me wen it comes to your Dark overlord of a god."

Hell the Vikings had more just and friendly gods than your god. Scary to think How meny people warship a evil dictator.

In other words A all knowing god mest up and had to flood the world.
A all loving god had to kill the first born kids and babies to make a point.
A wise god sent a she bear out to kill kids for laughing at a guy for having no Hair.

'A god that can't stand people who don't warship at his feat so he wan't them dead, and he wants them to burn forever and ever for it.'

Why respect your ideal of a god. Does not seem to be a great all knowing all loving god to me.


it makes me lol how people can not read the title.
stop trolling this thread
this thread is not about whether you believe in the teachings of christianity or not.

I have read it. But in the end I was not replying to the thread, but to your post.



the only thing your post shows me is how intolerant you are of christians. do you really believe you have any right to tell me what to believe? and even if you think you do, do you think you'll be able to change my mind especially over the internet?

it's what i believe. i don't get why you would come out of nowhere and suddenly start flinging all this mud at me.

i'll tell you what i think of atheists. i think they can believe what they want to believe. i don't care. it has no effect on me whether they believe in god or not. why does it matter so much to you that i believe in god?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.